BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought new pumps. Rebuilt TB. It was so clean inside, I shouldn't have messed with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Did you have the injector "pods" cleaned? If not, look at the spray pattern when you

get the engine running. Make sure it has a conical shape to it and it is even all the way

around. A timing light is helpful to look at the spray pattern as it will freeze frame the

pattern making it easier to see.
View Quote

Great idea. Never thought about using it for that.
We are going to have to use a light to fine tune  time as we pulled and reinserted distributor to prime block with oil.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  I’ll red up on timing.
Right now Can’t figure out an issue.
I’m jumping pin 5/6/7 on pig tail to run motor.
I have to pour gas  through throttle body.
The fuel pumps don’t come on.
The fuel pump and EFI relays are 100% proven good.
 If I jump 12 volts to relay plugs, the fuel pumps work.
The neutral safety wires are connected together.
I’ve poured over the wiring diagram and can’t see any cause for this.
Since the motor runs, I’ll probably drop in next week and trouble shoot with the harness connected.
I’m sure it’ll be something simple... it’s a continuing opportunity to learn!
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Would there be any reason the ECM wouldn't work out of the boat?
The only mystery I can find is that there are 10amp fuses on the schematic that aren't anywhere on the motor.
My FIL, who use to work on Mercruisers, back in the day, said those fuses are in the boat and it may make a difference having the harnesses connected.
Other than that I'm going to call my local shop and see if they can test the ECM.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 3:07:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#9]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 3:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#10]
There are no fuses and there's no place anything is missing.
The only connector that looks anything like the one in your pic is on top of the sheet metal enclosure for the main breaker and three relays. It should be the OBD port.
I am using a pin 5/6/7 as a jumper to run/turn over motor. 5/6 should power the ECM.
I'm stubborn and this kept me occupied for quite a few hours.
I'll figure it out this week, but I am getting tired of fooling with it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 1:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#12]
Attachment Attached File

There were no fuses in it and it never crossed my mind that anyone would pull the fuses.
@kb7dx
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Replacing all hoses. I'd like to use a raw water strainer.
I've got a closed cooling system now with a crank mounted water pump.
Can I use bulk hose for this? The Mercruiser hose isn't just a rubber hose.
There is a Bravo water hose assembly that is a retro fit for these outdrives, I don't know what issue it corrects.
Any tips or suggestions?
@kb7dx
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Everything done on install except hose clamps.
I had to make a new bracket for the heat exchanger, as it was about 2" too high to close the engine cover.
It was a pain in the ass. Big time. It barely clears the power steering belt.
I kept the stock raw water intake as it is clean and I didn't need more crap to fool with.
I did add an in line strainer as seen in the pic.
Hopefully I will have time to start and re-time it later this Wednesday or Thursday.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#19]
That's a pretty tight fit with the heat exchanger.

Can you get to the impeller without a third elbow or hiring Oompa-Loompas?
View Quote

I can rotate to heat exchanged a bit if needed. It's not fixed in place in the pic.
I'm gonna run in the driveway for quit a while.
I now fully appreciate the need for preventive maintenance.  
It'll be no problem removing the exchanger once a year to change the impeller.
I'll need to clean the exchanger. or at least inspect it when I do that.
I assume the ends pry off....it's as clean as new now so I haven't taken it apart.
Checking the oil will be a bitch. I do need to try to relocate the dipstick, but that's low on my list right now.
I do worry about the length of the raw water intake path as far as how long it'll take to get some lubrication to the impeller.
I plan on back filling it as much as possible initially, i guess.
Thanks for your help during this process. It's been fun and a learning experience although I'm not out of the woods yet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Test run yesterday. No fires, leaks, tows or sinking.
I am getting conflicting temp readings.
Factory Marine Power manual says it's a a 160 degree motor.
The factory gauge gets up to 210-220 and has very little fluctuation.
The temp gauge I placed by the thermostat housing never gets over 140.
You can hold your hands on all the manifolds and hoses there's no sign of overheating or asymmetrical temperature variations.
I am concerned about the relocation of the heat exchanger being as it is a bit lower than designed.
We did insure water is at both temp sending units.
I will check more in depth today and make sure air can't be trapped in a hose.
Although the engine ran fine, it falls on it's face a 2200 RPM. Like its rev limited. It will not go over 2200.
Easing it to that point or kicking it in the guts, it's the same, so I figure it may be computer related.
I also don't like it idling at 900 RPM.
All in all any test you can return from under your own power is a success in my book!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#22]
SO, I emailed to the guy at Marine Power.
The RPMS are limited because it's in what I call limp mode...there's a code being thrown.
This is the old MEFI4 system that you'd count the check engine light blinks on a car.
I can use my continuity beep on my multimeter. Probably going to do that today.
The motor is for a jet set up(impeller/jet ski type).
Hopefully I can do something about the idle speed. I have to. Reflash hopefully.
The manual states that that's one difference in the regular and jet engines.
I'll check sending units. More concerned about trapped air although I do need to get it right.
Thanks for input.
ETA: The sending unit on my old manifold is a single wire....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
It seems to have been a faulty sending unit. Revs up in driveway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:01:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#25]
Revs up in the driveway is one thing. Pouring the coals to (parlor coal) it under load is the real test.

Marine EFI engines will have two temp "senders" on them. One is for the ECM to take data from and

the other is purely an old school analog unit to operate the temp gauge on the dash. Typical old school senders

for the gauge on the dash have only one wire.

Yes, you must get the idle down. Not good on the outdrive especially if you have a stainless prop.

It would be interesting to see what's making it idle high whether it's the ECM programming or

something mechanical like throttle plate position.

I sent a MEFI 3 over to these guys for repair last week. We'll see how they

are as this is the first one I've sent off for repair. ECM's are pretty much bulletproof.

View Quote

The guage was the one for the ECM. The old motor had a single wire. I believe my engine does have two, I need to check that.
I will probably burn some big coal Wednesday.
I may need a reflash or new ECM. My engine is a for a jet drive and it has a higher idle than a pleasure/ski ECM.
I plan on running my DIY check engine light to the dash....
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#26]
Hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread OP.....It seems we have some very knowledgeable and experienced folks in here.

I recently bought a boat with a mercruiser 5.7 and volvo aq280 outdrive, has about 700 hours. It's saltwater, raw water cooled. The raw water pickup is through a seacock in the hull that also has a freshwater flushing system. The boat hasn't been used much recently and I am going through stuff. I'd like to pull the exhaust elbows to inspect for corrosion. Before I pull them off, do I need to replace gaskets or any other consumable in there? Assuming they don't need replaced.

I also have a water pump that came with a gasket set. Would you guys also use a gasket sealant or something? Or just stick with the gasket only?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#28]

First off, you have a Mercruiser engine and a Volvo outdrive or are you using Mercruiser as a generic term?

If you remove the exhaust elbows be prepared to replace the elbow(s) and manifolds because

at 700 hours in salt water I bet they are rotted to the point of needing replaced.

If, and that's a big if, you are able to re-use the manifolds/elbows, you will need to replace the elbow

gaskets. Make sure you get the correct ones for raw water cooling and not the closed cooling ones.

Water pump...which one? In the marine industry we call the pump bolted to the block over the timing cover

a circulation pump. The pump that is either belt driven (Mercruiser) or crankshaft driven (Volvo Penta) is a sea pump.

Pics of engine would help I.D. it.

@HELOBRAVO  I found an old Marine Power service manual at work. It's for a MEFI 1 or 2. I don't remember which yours is.

View Quote

Thanks, but I actually have the correct original manual for my setup. I have an MEFI 4.  Hopefully programmed early next week the weather is awesome down here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#29]

First off, you have a Mercruiser engine and a Volvo outdrive or are you using Mercruiser as a generic term?

If you remove the exhaust elbows be prepared to replace the elbow(s) and manifolds because

at 700 hours in salt water I bet they are rotted to the point of needing replaced.

If, and that's a big if, you are able to re-use the manifolds/elbows, you will need to replace the elbow

gaskets. Make sure you get the correct ones for raw water cooling and not the closed cooling ones.

Water pump...which one? In the marine industry we call the pump bolted to the block over the timing cover

a circulation pump. The pump that is either belt driven (Mercruiser) or crankshaft driven (Volvo Penta) is a sea pump.

Pics of engine would help I.D. it.

@HELOBRAVO  I found an old Marine Power service manual at work. It's for a MEFI 1 or 2. I don't remember which yours is.

View Quote
It is mercruiser SN M010708. It was installed in the early 2000s, I'm not sure if it was new or rebuilt at the time but the cover says 5.7L.
The outdrive is volvo 2878423B. I believe this is original 1978. Volvo won't provide information on drives older than 1980.

I am not sure what engine the boat had originally but it has been equipped like this for 20 years. I am going to replace the elbows and gaskets. They aren't that expensive compared to the peace of mind. I will check out the manifold as well. I actually have some blackstone labs containers so I will sample the oil. I've only put about 4 hours on the boat since purchased but hopefully blackstone can pick up if there is any saltwater in the oil.

I replaced the belt driven sea pump, and need to do the circulation pump. The boat has been down for a couple months while I work through projects and maintenance. I converted to electric trim tabs. They require both 12v power and switched 12v ignition. I used my multimeter to check for ignition 12v power and discovered my entire gauge cluster is live any time the battery switch is on. The dashboard was suspect with rot to begin with so I am going to cut out the whole thing and replace it. I would like to find a wiring diagram and redo these gauges while I am in there.

Eventually I'd like to have the deck painted, and probably replace the hatch covers with treadplate aluminum or something. The cabin is being totally redone and I'd like to get at least a summer out of the boat before any other major projects. As you can see, there are other major projects on the horizon.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#30]
If you’re keeping it, put a crank mounted sea water pump on it.  
Fuck the Mercruiser pump, what a pain in the ass.  
Replace every hose on it.....ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
If you're keeping it, put a crank mounted sea water pump on it.  
Fuck the Mercruiser pump, what a pain in the ass.  
Replace every hose on it.....ask me how I know.
View Quote
I have been avoiding thinking about replacing all the hoses. You are right though, I should just do it.

And yes, that seawater pump was a real pain and I have about twice as much room as you did.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't see the pics but rest assured, if the elbows need replaced, the manifolds will as well. What happens is the

mating surfaces between the elbow and manifold rot away and don't provide much surface area

for the gasket to seal to.

If you rewire the dash/boat, please follow this wiring color code..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/d7eba3f0c5478f72f82818c85995664b-1872365.jpg

This may also provide you with some guidance trouble shooting what's already there.
View Quote
I will try and rework the photos. That is a super handy table. Wish I'd seen it before redoing the blower

The overall electrical system is pretty simple. Just a couple batteries, nav lights, blower, radio, bilge pump, and new electric trim tabs. I removed the radar and a lot of the other rats nest that was installed such as wipers, defunct fuel pumps, leftover wiring from defunct transducer or fathometer, abandoned wiring from removed bait tanks.

In preparation to clean and restore the cabin, I am going to remove the engine instrumentation, electrical controls, throttle, and steering this weekend. The instrument panel part no. Is 835965. Can't find much info on it except that it's obsolete. I did notice the back of the tach seems to have printed wiring instructions, but it isn't readable as installed in the boat. And speaking of throttle, I am going to need to adjust the Morse MT-2 shift linkage. The outdrive is in forward when the throttle is in the detent. Just one more thing on the list

Once again if this is too much of a thread hijack, please let me know and I'll make a new thread. This little section overall is pretty quiet so I hope nobody minds.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

I'd pull that and clean everything up (bilge and motor).
So much easier todo everything with the motor out.
Like I said previously, it's only a challenge the first time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#37]

You have the newer "dry joint" manifolds and elbows so they shouldn't be rotted.

That was one good thing Merc did was go to that type of exhaust manifold/elbow.

The elbow gaskets are pretty spendy.
View Quote
How often would you expect to replace those manifolds and elbows? Is it worth checking them out?

I pulled everything from the helm of the boat. The gauge wiring is awful, everything needs gone through. The gauges all seem to mostly work except oil pressure was intermittent (I hope it is the gauge or the sender ). The 12v ign power I mentioned earlier, and the gauge lights don't work. At least, I'm assuming that's what the one switch on the panel is. Also noticed that the tach doesn't go to 0 when the engine is shut off. There is definitely something going on with the switched power.

I noticed the morse MT2 control is out of adjustment. Idle is good and RPMs through the throttle travel are good, but when in the detent, it is in forward gear. It will go to neutral when "popped out" but I think I need to adjust the cable throw or perhaps clean and lube the detent tracks for it to be in neutral in the detent. This thing is also pretty ugly. I'm debating to send it out for sandblast and powdercoat, or rechrome. Has anyone done something like that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#39]

The "dry joint" manifolds will last alot longer than the older style "wet joint" manifolds. Unless

you see signs of leaking, I would leave them alone. The tach should return to zero when the ignition is turned on.

Doesn't matter where the tach's needle is when you shut it off.

Oil pressure gauge issues are usually the sender on the engine going flakey.

Try playing with the cable adjustments a little at a time to see if you can get it to shift

properly. You may have a stretched cable or things inside the control box may be worn

introducing "slop" in the mechanism.

High idle RPM's will also make it hard to get out of gear into neutral.
View Quote
Thank you for the insights. Would you expect signs of exhaust leak to be evident on the exhaust itself or simply water in the oil?

I think the control is either out of adjustment or worn. It will be some time before I get back to that.

Any recommendations before I jump into this?

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#40]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks again for the excellent info!

The gauges aren't as bad as I thought. It's missing some wiring for the gauge backlights. That'll be easy to fix with a few ring and spade terminals. It took me a few minutes (or hours) drawing diagrams with the multimeter to figure out how the damn backlight switch works. It is illuminated with clear light when off, and turns red when switched on. I tested a few of the gauges but am limited by only having one DC power supply. All the gauges turn on, but without knowing the required input voltages from all of their senders, I can't test all of the gauge functions. The voltmeter worked perfectly.

I pulled some abandoned wiring. Learned about the hourmeter and found some other add-ons in the gauge cluster. The hourmeter runs when oil pressure is indicated, that's a nice design. I found a circuit where the compass backlight is illuminated with the gauge light switch. That's pretty clever as well, but might be nice if independently switched. It'd be a bummer to run the boat at night in search of spiny lobsters and find a nasty glare from the compass backlight. Night fishing/trapping also means I'll need to add some forward looking lights . Any recommendations? The boat also had a Furuno 1621 that I will consider reinstalling. It's been recommended locally to help crossing shipping channels in fog.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:18:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:38:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#43]
Install a switch in line with one of the wires that powers the compass light so

you can turn off the compass light independently.

<-- Not much radar knowledge here.

ETA - To test the fuel gauge, hook it all back up, turn the ignition on to power

up the gauge and then go back to the fuel tank sender and short the pink wire (signal wire to gauge)

to ground. This should make the gauge go full sweep from Empty to Full. If it does, then

the wiring and gauge are ok. If the fuel gauge doesn't work after doing this test, the sender in the tank

is bad.

You can test the oil pressure gauge this way as well just by shorting the signal wire (light blue) on the sender

to ground and watch the gauge go full sweep.
View Quote
Should the needle return to starting after this? The needle pegged out very quickly and seems stuck at full travel.

ETA- Does this indicate the gauge is failed? This is the oil pressure gauge that had some erratic indications. I'd actually be happy if it did fail because that would explain the intermittent 0 pressure readings.

The fuel level indicating system on this boat is a rod with level markings on it
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#45]
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?28-Mercruiser-Sterndrive-Forum
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Been awhile for me.
Use to have a radar certificate.

Just about all the smaller radar units are all the same.
Color is way nicer than the old green and black.

I liked the enclosed radomes as they are not affected by the wind like the exposed ones. May have to tilt it with how you boat runs in the water.

The radars that can hook up to gps are nice. No need to keep looking between the two.

Never stand in from of the radar when turning on or off.
Learn to tune it and run it.
The other guys would auto tune it but I got better signals when I took the time to tune.
It can miss things low in the water or things that have poor return so you still have to be careful.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#47]
@kb7dx
So after weeks of waiting for my MEFI4 to be re-flashed, Marine Power said they no longer service these older ECMs.
FML.
All I need is the idle RPM lowered.
Everything marine is expensive, shouldn't there be a tuning set up for GM vehicles that ran this ECM?
I'd be happy to send it away for programming and have emails out tonight, but some of the prices are retarded. $500 in one case...
Who do you use?
Just found THIS. Don't see why it wouldn't work.
Gonna pick mu ECM up tomorrow and verify serial numbers and such.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't know if the auto industry used that ECM or not. Even if they did, there wont be one

that will work in a marine application from a tuning standpoint.

MEFIBURN is the only company I've ever sent an ECM into for repair and they told me

the ECM (MEFI 3) that I sent was shot and couldn't be repaired. I had to buy the MEFI 4 upgrade

at $1800.00 to repair this engine for a customer.

Earlier in this thread I was wondering if the high idle in your case was done mechanically or if it was in the ECM

programming. I would say that if you can identify the ALDL connector and pin-out I would try to reset manually

as described in your link after verifying it was a valid procedure.

But me being me, I wouldn't be afraid to just tinker with the throttle plate adjustment screw and the TPS to see if

the idle will come down. I would mark the screw and note the current TPS output voltage so

things could be put back to original settings if things went south.
View Quote

That'[s what I'm going to do. When the weather clears up...probably next week. I have another job in my covered work area right now.
The MP guy said the only difference in the jet boat programming and what I want is the idle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#50]
Followed instructions in previous post. Got it to idle at 650 but cannot get the TPS to 0.5v.
I cannot turn it enough to get it under0.6xx volts.

New IAC..... want new TPS. The factory manual part number doesn't reliable match up tp anything and MP doesn't stock.
It has to look like this one exactly, the more round one will not clear the IAC.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@KB7DX
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top