Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/17/2020 10:36:26 AM EDT
My boat is paid for and I do the work myself....save the "break out another thousand" "Best day in a boaters life...." cliches.
1994 5.7liter Mercruiser, Bravo 2.
No start condition.
I didn't change my hoses as I should have and  had a cooling hose blow out. Salt water did get in engine compartment.
I turned the motor off and it sat for a week or so until I got new hoses on it.
No sign on salt water in any connection.
Turns over, gets fire, is timed.
New plugs, wires, cap, in cap sensor and coil.
I did the factory troubleshooting chart.
It may be turning over too slow. I am afraid I may have some corrosion in the starter.
It's a bitch to change, so I used a troubleshooting chart to check it out.
Although these numbers aren't perfect, they aren't bad enough for me to pull the starter...unless the internet has a consensus that it needs to be done.
The terminals all appear to be clean/corrosion free.
Battery voltage: 13.5

Hot Circuit
B terminal on solenoid to Positive battery should = 0 volts
-Not cranking = 36 millivolts
-Cranking = 1 volt

Ground Circuit
Negative on battery to starter housing 0 Ohms / 21 millivolts
-Cranking = 0.7 volts

S terminal to positive on battery should be battery voltage
-Not cranking = 13.48 volts
- Cranking = 1.6 volts

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:42:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#1]
I feel your pain on changing that starter but it's really not bad if you don't mind working upside down. 2 terminals and 2 bolts. Various socket extensions help.
Just did it this year in my grandparents 01 Bayliner deck boat before selling it. Would have been much easier if it wasn't 95f and muggy with sweat constantly in my eyes.

When's the last time you pulled the carb? Assuming you've checked fuel flow.  Non-ethanol only?
Had the accel pump plunger fall in this boat, made it a nightmare to cold start.
Needed a rebuild anyway from years of premium fuel (vs ethanol-free like i told them to run) and runs like a top ever since.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:31:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#2]
Load test the battery or sub a known good one.  Check cables for splitting or corrosion.

If you are measuring your cable resistance, it could test OK and not carry acceptable current.

I had a split cable that I missed.  Vehicle started every time, right up until it went flat dead.  The split cable was corroded and didn't look that bad, but it failed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Battery cables ohm out good.
I’ve used a starter box even though the batteries were bought in February.
Non-ethanol only.
Carb spraying gas.
That deck boat has much more room than mine. I can change the starter but the test that I posted says it’s good.
Oh, I’ve also disconnected the tach and ran a hot straight to the coil.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#6]
The fuel pump is mechanical.
I relabeled everything below.
Your saying the "S" post should only have battery voltage when cranking? I giess I misread the flow sheet I used to trouble shoot this starter or the Mercruiser set up is different than a regular SBC.
What causes mine to have the voltage when NOT cranking and how can the starter crank under this condition?

The terminals all appear to be clean/corrosion free.
Battery voltage: 13.5

Hot Circuit
"A" terminal on solenoid to Positive battery should = 0 volts
-Not cranking = 36 millivolts
-Cranking = 1 volt

Ground Circuit
Negative on battery to starter housing stud 0 Ohms / 21 millivolts
-Cranking = 0.7 volts

"S" or "B" YELLOW WIRE terminal to positive on battery should be battery voltage
-Not cranking = 13.48 volts
- Cranking = 1.6 volts
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:58:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
@kb7dx
Broke down and took boat to a shop.
They verified everything I did, scratched their head and did a compression check.
I never did that because my oil looked good and....why?
Well, zero compression in number one.
They needed boats taken home because the shop is across the street from the bayou and may flood, so I picked it up and will pull motor and  check it out in a week or so.
My theory is some salt water contamination and rust in cylinder, wiped rings.  
My fault, didn’t change hoses when I should have.  I’ll update when I know more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:04:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#10]
Yeah.  Pulling it really isn’t as big a deal as it seems the first couple of times.
I may check all compression and if isolated, pop valve cover lube stems and feed cord into cylinder and turn over to close valves if open.  How’s that sound?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a good time for refresh on motor. Bore,balance, blueprint,cam,etc? Do 5.7 get done like a car motor looking for more power?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
@kb7dx
Looked at motor today. Bore scoped the cylinders. I have valves with corrosion on them.
Water got to carb, although it was running fine when I turned it off...
Took off valve covers and bore scoped the cylinders with loose rockers.
The valves that were open when I turned it off are prevented from closing due to corrosion.
They do open more when the lobe comes around, but do not close completely.
Thinking about putting plugs in and "misting" the intake with some sort of lube and see if I cant get them to close. I'd try some cord in the cylinders but I'm afraid it's get tangled in the open valve before pushing it closed.
I am in denial, the motor will come out, but if there's a chance it doesn't have to , I'll try it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
How far open are the valves that are stuck? Any chance they have touched the

piston when the engine was cranked over?

Automatic transmission fluid is a good lube to try and free up rusted things.

We have used it to free up engines that have rust in the cylinders and rusty valves.

This isn't the preferred method, but it may work for you. Squirt some ATF into

the spark plug holes and re-install plugs. Crank engine over several revolutions and let it sit for a day or two.

This will spread the ATF around in the cylinder.
View Quote

I could see the piston tops, they're fine.
I'll do the ATF thing.  
Can't do it until Monday or Tuesday.
Stay tuned for updates!
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you figure out the starter issue? Is it cranking slow because of rust in the cylinders?
View Quote

Everything was fine except no compression.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you figure out the starter issue? Is it cranking slow because of rust in the cylinders?
View Quote

Starter fine. I could see in cylinders, they were fine, just corrosion on valves and stems. I put tranny fluid in cylinders and cranked a bit. I'll see if that helped in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:46:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#20]
@KB7DX
Looked at it today. No change after tryin tranny fluid.
We hit the valve stems with a hammer and they didn't move...holy fuuuckkk.
We did happen to notice that the on the stuck valves, the friggin' rocker studs were pushed up varying distances.
Gonna pull motor this week.
A friend who's a legit engineer says salt water on the valve stems should not
have effected them enough to cause the issue.
Valve guides may be a different story, but who knows.
He thinks overheating may be the issue and I may have corrosion from a failed head gasket, although I saw no signs of overheating or water in cylinders.
Will know next week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
@KB7DX
Looked at it today. No change after tryin tranny fluid.
We hit the valve stems with a hammer and they didn't move...holy fuuuckkk.
We did happen to notice that the on the stuck valves, the friggin' rocker studs were pushed up varying distances.
Gonna pull motor this week.
A friend who's a legit engineer says salt water on the valve stems should have effected them enough to cause the issue.
Valve guides may be a different story, but who knows.
He thinks overheating may be the issue and I may have corrosion from a failed head gasket, although I saw no signs of overheating or water in cylinders.
Will know next week.
View Quote
Pics?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
I feel your pain on changing that starter but it's really not bad if you don't mind working upside down. 2 terminals and 2 bolts. Various socket extensions help.
Just did it this year in my grandparents 01 Bayliner deck boat before selling it. Would have been much easier if it wasn't 95f and muggy with sweat constantly in my eyes.

When's the last time you pulled the carb? Assuming you've checked fuel flow.  Non-ethanol only?
Had the accel pump plunger fall in this boat, made it a nightmare to cold start.
Needed a rebuild anyway from years of premium fuel (vs ethanol-free like i told them to run) and runs like a top ever since.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20200601_185406_jpg-1550178.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20200601_185054_jpg-1550179.JPG
View Quote

Just found out the family that bought this boat totaled it and their tow vehicle...
They took it home with a F350 dually but they were towing it with a Yukon when it happened...
Jerked the wheel, got in the death wobble, probably stabbed the brakes, looped it and flipped over in the ditch.
Nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Marine engines can be treated like automotive engines to a point but marine engines

are cammed for higher RPM operation. Generally a 5.7 GM based marine engine makes

peak power between 4400 and 4800 RPM's. The typical automobile engine is cammed to make

peak torque at about 2200 RPM's. This is one reason that auto engines pulled from an auto salvage

yard are not good for a marine installation. Not only are auto engines not cammed for marine use, they have plain steel cored head gaskets

where marine head gaskets are stainless steel cored.  Some marine engines also use forged rotating assemblies whereas

auto engines use a cast crank etc.. The cast parts won't take the extended high RPM usage a marine engine sees.
View Quote

LOL, and back in the day, some marine conversions were reverse rotation, so cam, distributer, etc wouldn't interchange.

Got laughed at pretty good when someone told me why my POS Chrysler engine was giving me fits.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:18:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#25]
Tore it down to short block today. It had to have gotten salt water in the intake.
No manifold or head gaskets looked bad, but there was rust all over in there.
Looks like the heads are toast. I have to compare price for rebuild vs just buying rebuilt.
Whatever happened, the valves that were corroded in place pushed some of the studs out (not completely) of the head when I was working on it.
I had to use a hammer and a long punch to drive one of the valves out. Not messing with the rest.
My cylinders are mostly OK.
There are a couple with light abrasions that I would be perfectly happy to hone out myself.
One had some kind of dirt like shit in it that I'm at a loss to explain.
So, I'm looking at pulling the rotating assembly, inspecting it for obvious concerns and then is none, power washing the block/water jacket and reassembling.  
Heads seem to be so expensive, I'm considering just getting reman long block.
I'm looking at THIS one.
What's the difference between the marine and regular heads? I know the gaskets are marine specific.
I'd like to use the short block I have as it is not in bad shape. I realize the pics are bad, but the pistons and cylinders are OK.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#27]
So I took the whole motor apart today. Holy fuck.  
The head baskets are dry now and not all that looked like head gasket was....
There was mud in the motor.
The motor Ran 100% like a top for 2 years until the cooling hose blew.
It hadn’t been anywhere it could have gotten mud in it in at least a year.
I guess I’m lucky the hose blew. Although it almost certainly overheated because of that. All the bearings and races look good and only 2 cylinders need honing. Don’t know what I’m gonna do yet.  
Enjoy the pics!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#29]
That's quite a bit of rot on that head gasket. Was that engine ever rebuilt?

If it was whoever did it may have used an automotive gasket which

won't survive in a marine environment very long.
View Quote

Although the Hobbs meter said 350 about 20 hours ago and I have no reason to doubt it as the boat and motor was spotless. But, one of the head gaskets was not like the other. We could not find any identifiable marks on either.
The guy was retired GM guy and a serious hotrodder but I could see him using an automotive gasket since he was in Nevada and the boat was fresh water only.
Right after I got the boat a couple of years ago I got it in some mud....twice and I quit going in Lake Pontchartrain.
I think it got so much mud in it that it was dammed up in a couple of cooling passagers and the pressure steadily pushed it into some of the cylinders. Cleaning the pistons today if a hone cleans up the two cylinders.
I do have a machinist friend who will come check dimensions if I decide to try to put it back together.
I know a long block makes sense, but I like a project and have a few hundred I can waste. Heads are $250 with my shop account at O'reilly.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Head gasket composition is important. Doesn't make any difference whether

it's in salt or fresh water. Marine head gaskets are subject to galvanic corrosion

in addition to the "normal" corrosion issues with raw water cooling. Salt water just

speeds up the process.

How do your manifolds look? Are the sealing surfaces between the manifold and

elbow (riser) look good?
View Quote

Yeah. It's all good.
My buddy the retired machinist looked/put a mic on the short block after I honed it today.
There are some cylinder wall irregularities that would take an .008 bore to completely eliminate if going " by the book".
The irregularities are minor enough that he'd be OK with the hone and re-ring if going into a passenger vehicle, but not a boat going off shore.
He did say that any issues arising from just doing that would be over a long period of time and certainly not sudden and catastrophic.
If I bored it 10 thousandths and bought heads, it'd make no sense when I can get a ready to go long block for $1600.
So....anyways, I'm gonna re-ring the short block and put it to the side. Probably put it in my '84 Blazer. I do need to know what to do about the rear maincap to convert back to automobile style.
The motor I just pulled is a two bolt main, which was a surprise. It does have the roller cam.
I'll be shopping for a long block over the next couple of days.
Is there a later model block I'd be better off getting for around the same price?
Is there an automotive block that's desirable? I can change head gaskets and freeze plugs. I have an O'reily account with discounts.
I've read the 14096217 heads are the exact same as auto and I've read the opposite? I can get those from O'reily for $245/each.
Does an intake manifold upgrade make sense?
Any tips and suggestions appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Get a marine long block.
Much better corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:24:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#34]
Thanks.
So, the rear aluminum late is marine or auto? I stopped rebuilding small blocks around ‘86....
Wasn’t sure if it had something to do with the marine flywheel/bell housing.
The cylinder bores are round and well within spec but there were a few spots that had damage into the walls that would require a bore to eliminate.
These rings are stuck.  I mean I used a chisel and vise grips to get the oil rings and one compression ring off ONE piston.  They are full of mud.  I am utterly astounded that this motor ran so well.  The gaps are touching and the rings do not move. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#36]
@kb7dx
Local guy has this. Any obvious concerns, just looking at it?
Gonna try to see tomorrow. Get some block numbers and more info. Check compression if it looks legit.
Motor was bought in 2002 and the buyer ran it a short shile and upgraded to a 454. The guy who bought this one got it for a "cabin cruiser".
Supposedly not a hot rod engine. It was built by "American Skier Boats". Cam to be changed probably.
The guy who owned the business is local, retired, but still in the parts business. I'm going to ask about details after I see engine.
StupidBook Link
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#38]
If that's an older efi engine I would pass. More when I get home.
View Quote

Just got back from looking at it. It's a Marine Power VMY109MK. Looks like new.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:18:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#39]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#40]
So....even though I seriously appreciate the warnings and advice, I could not help myself.
Keep in mind, I do my own work and enjoy having a couple of projects going at all times.
I scoped this engine and it's like new.
The cylinders don't look used and I rotated them and checked the whole stroke.
The lifter galley and heads look new.
I was planning on pulling the manifold to check the cam for corrosion, but I'm not so sure that's necessary.
If the TBI works I may try it out, but I may have to use my stock manifold with a carb due to the throttle and shifter linkage routing issues.
I will change the oil which still looks like new before starting.
I'm going to run it out of the boat for some heat cycles to test out the gaskets.
The cooling system on this motor is worth almost what I paid for it.
It's got a layer of dust on it in pic.
For $1800 I couldn't pass it up.
Flame suit on.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Are you going to keep the closed cooling system on the engine?
I am. The cooling tank will have to come off for installation as on the previous engine, the nose of the power steering pump had to be watched when installing the engine. There is a lot of room under my deck. Gonna change the impeller to as the cooling tank will make that a PIA. Pic of my model boay, exactly, with this set up at end of post.
How's parts availability on the TBI system if you need to replace parts?
Won't be an issue according to my buddy who is familiar with the type.

If you keep the cooling system will you be able to get to the water pump impeller once the engine is installed in the boat

without having to remove the heat exchanger?
It will be possible, just no fun.

Just some questions you have to ask yourself before creating something that's a PITA to service.

View Quote

Thanks.
I worked on it today. I don't know what configuration this motor was in , but the existing cooling hoses will have to be replaced. It looks like I can do it with mostly 1" straight hose cut to size.
Of course I will use my "old" manifolds. I have to get the block for the risers and big nipples for the closed cooling. I will admit, I have not quite wrapped my head around the circulation in the manifolds, there are several ppe plugs to choose from.
A couple of the hoses won't be able to route down the front of the engine, mostly because of the double pulley/belt set up.
I called the company and they my throttle control should work with little issue. That was a major concern.
I will get into the pig tail connector probably next week. That should be interesting, but I have the factory (Marine Power) manual with schematics.
It's an interesting, if ill advised project.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#43]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been a mechanic for years but have never done anything with boats.  How the hell do you get the engine out?  A standard cherry picker isn't getting in there.  Overhead winch?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I think you are setting yourself up for a lot of headaches if you try to install

that Marine Power setup in your boat. IMO, you should strip down the Marine Power

setup to the long block and install all the Mercruiser parts on it and re-install it in the boat.

Just from the pics I can see the Marine Power (MP) heat exchanger sticks out in front of the

engine way more than the Mercruiser unit. This will make impeller servicing virtually impossible

unless you are an Oompa Loompa or hire some 5 year old to squeeze in there.

The throttle cable will have to be swapped out for one with a Mercury end on the control

box side and a Morse end on the engine side if you stay with the MP setup.

The cooling systems and manifolds (which are part of the cooling system) are carefully engineered

to provide even cooling and conform to Coast Guard regs. Mixing and matching things may lead

to un-even cooling, under cooling or even over cooling.

I've been wrenching on boats professionally for 17 years and cannot think of one "franken boat"

that doesn't have issues.

ETA - The pic at the end of your post shows a Mercruiser closed cooling system. As you can see, the heat

exchanger is above and behind the pulleys, not sticking out in front of them like the MP unit.

I don't want to be Debbie Downer, just trying to keep you sane.
View Quote

I may end up stripping it and using my original parts. I'm enjoying the thrill of the chase right now.
My buddy and I are having fun messing around with it, so I'm in no hurry.
I can get to the impeller, that’s low on my list of concerns right now. Of all things, this will not deter me from my task.
I have that same impeller set up on the other engine.
The cooling unit is hoses and 4 bolts to change impeller once a year, hopefully.
If it's an issue, I have a skinny kid that's already done the inside work changing a thru hull fitting.
The throttle cable is a concern but the guy who runs Marine Power said my controls will work and I’ve looked at it and don’t see an issue beyond possibly having to custom make the part for the TBI. I have a mill and lathe, so it’s in the realm of possibilities.
I did get some manifolds in the deal that may or may not have been on the engine. I'll have to ask about any particulars concerning them.
I am making a list to ask a MP tech. I don't want to bug theses guys too much.
My engine harness pig tail matches my stock male connector on the boat. I'm gonna compare wiring diagrams this weekend. Of course, it's got some extra connections on the loom also. TBI/fuel pump/etc...I figure.
I've got everything I need to dick around with this and there's worse projects to dick around with.  
If I needed the boat to get out of town in a hurry, I'd have stripped it, placed the carb and cranked her up in just a few hours.
I'm off until Wednesday, so I'll probably buy a bunch of 1" hose, a temp/oil gauge, spin the oil pump and try to crank her.
There's no rush, I'm savoring a project that I'm doing because I want to.  I was getting tired of doing projects because I had to.
Bear with me. I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#47]
Originally Posted By Exorpmtech:
I've been a mechanic for years but have never done anything with boats.  How the hell do you get the engine out?  A standard cherry picker isn't getting in there.  Overhead winch?
View Quote

I've never done anything with boats.
A guy told me that if I can pull a SBC, I can pull that motor.
I've dome that many, many times....and he was right.
Friend down the road has a chain fall in a tall metal shop.
I have an overhead winch in my shop, but it'll only get it up on the deck. It's a high sided boat. The cockpit sides are about 6 feet off the pavement.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Started it today.
I pulled the distributor to prime the oil pump and circulate the oil.
Looking into the engine through the distributor shaft opening, it's so clean that it can't have even 20 hours on it.
Although the fuel pumps aren't working, we started in with some fuel through the throttle body.
It sounds awesome. This motor was a steal. I couldn't be happier.
It has a lift pump before the high pressure pump. Neither work even with 12 volts straight to them.
You can feel something engage in the high pressure pump, but it doesn't spin.
I am getting fuel through the water seperator.
I could accept both pumps were froze up from sitting for years but I'm not getting power from the harness to the pumps.  I checked item while cranking. I have sufficient oil.
I switched the fuel pump relay and it didn't help.
I've got two mystery wires coming off the harness pigtail. I sent a pic to Marine Power to ask what they might be. Haven't heard back yet.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#49]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:08:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HELOBRAVO] [#50]
replies in red.
Fuel pumps are probably locked up from sitting. More when I get home...

I'm home!

Getting the "thump" out of them when hooking 12v directly to them indicates the motor

part is free but the pump itself is locked up.

You can try removing the pumps and soaking them in some Sea Foam to free them up.

Mercury recommends soaking them in a chemical called "Power Tune" which smells a lot

like Sea Foam.
Will do that this week...work the weekend. Still don't have power from harness.

Once they have soaked for a while (overnight) some very light tapping with a plastic

screwdriver handle will help free them up.

If you get them freed up, do not run them dry. Always have some form of liquid (not water)

going through them.

ETA - I don't know what the extra wires are for.
The plug with the shielded hot is hot when the battery is connected. I thought it may be for a battery charger...

Is there an oil pressure safety switch above the

oil filter boss on the block?  . It may also be "teed" into the oil pressure sender at the back of the block

near the distributor. These have been known to fail but you should still have power to the

pumps while cranking.
Both are in the sending unit location.
Are there any wires hooked to the "I" terminal on the starter solenoid?

This is where power is tapped to provide power to things like electric fuel pumps when the engine is cranking.
There is and they go where they should.

You should try to get a schematic for that engine. It will help a lot.
I have a MP manual with schematic. All the engine wiring is original and un-fucked.
If I get pumps running, are they good to go or should I replace them? If it's possible, I comfortable rebuilding them of at least taking apart to clean.

View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top