Hamvention 2024 (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:

I think a guy was making these a couple years ago and selling them on radio reference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mancow:

Yea, sure looks familiar.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168134/IMG_20240518_222823_jpg-3217883.JPG

I think a guy was making these a couple years ago and selling them on radio reference.

Yea, he was.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Yea, he was.

View Quote

So how hard was it to work out that licensing deal with Uniden?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Can anyone explain what that mess of circuit boards the Icom displayed boils down to?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:40:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#4]
Since it is being released in Japan probably some UHF/SHF radio cheaper than the 905...... Just my guess. Probably wrong
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
Can anyone explain what that mess of circuit boards the Icom displayed boils down to?
View Quote

I read somewhere that it’s an updated 7610.  Not sure if that’s accurate though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Yea, he was.

They openly published all the protocols.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

The tuner and filter boards mean HF.

Don't think there was a front panel board so it's probably a "black box" computer-operated radio.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Don't think there was a front panel board so it's probably a "black box" computer-operated radio.
View All Quotes

Wanna-Be Flex or Anan style SDR?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

That's my guess.

Of course the IC7300 is getting a bit dated and probably in need of a refresh. Or maybe something in between the 7300 and 7610 as a more direct competitor to the FTDX10.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Travis] [#10]
Big purchase was a UHF 1 XTS2500 for $135.  Been wanting to play on amateur P25 so  guess now I can.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Watching the various different YT videos about Hamvention, just like Hamcation, I wonder what percentage of the old junk that gets setup in the flea market area gets sold.  Every year I go to Hamcation, I see the same old junk for sale, and it never sells.  I'm sure there are a few good deals (I saw an Ameritron AL-80B for $900 at Hamcation but that's rare!).
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#12]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:
Watching the various different YT videos about Hamvention, just like Hamcation, I wonder what percentage of the old junk that gets setup in the flea market area gets sold.  Every year I go to Hamcation, I see the same old junk for sale, and it never sells.  I'm sure there are a few good deals (I saw an Ameritron AL-80B for $900 at Hamcation but that's rare!).
View Quote

Most of that  gear will end up in a landfill when the "pack rat" ham goes SK. The grieving wives and family will be left with the task of renting a dumpster to dispose of all of that junk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Used to be a lot of stuff left in the flea market area at the end of the show. They have stopped most of that because the club had to pick it all up and dispose of it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:
View Quote

We had one for $1100 and would have sold it to anyone from Arfcom for $900. Barely used.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
20 year old 2m mobile rigs with $120 price tags in the flea market.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally home and in bed. Will park correctly and unhitch the camper tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
View Quote

This sadly is what the Lincoln Ham fest has been for a long time.  Overpriced junk that people apparently don't want to get rid of.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:

This sadly is what the Lincoln Ham fest has been for a long time.  Overpriced junk that people apparently don't want to get rid of.
View All Quotes

When I was cruising at 36mph on my scooter through foot traffic at the indoor DX Engineering counter, it occurred to me that new hams don’t know how to trouble shoot things and that’s why my fairly priced half working items never sell.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

When I was cruising at 36mph on my scooter through foot traffic at the indoor DX Engineering counter, it occurred to me that new hams don’t know how to trouble shoot things and that’s why my fairly priced half working items never sell.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Travis:
Used to be a lot of stuff left in the flea market area at the end of the show. They have stopped most of that because the club had to pick it all up and dispose of it.
View Quote

Sunday morning used to be a good time to cruise through the flea market free stuff boxes. Takes half the fun out of it if those aren't there anymore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Travis:
View Quote

I picked a few out of a trash can the last time I was there. Good Minitor pagers and what not.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#22]
It seems 50/50 either stumbling across someone who has no idea of what they have or knowing someone and being trusted as a known collector. This applies to the mil stuff for the most part.

I had a couple of obvious glowing fed types spark up a conversation and ask to see my RF5800 one year. All he wanted to see was the back label and they were gone. The man goes to no known length to fuck you over.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#23]

When I was cruising at 36mph on my scooter through foot traffic at the indoor DX Engineering counter, it occurred to me that new hams don't know how to trouble shoot things and that's why my fairly priced half working items never sell.
View Quote
I bought some cheap commercial HTs, some VHF some UHF, either could be good for MURS or GMRS.  Will see if I need to repair anything on them.  There was a flea market vendor near the guys from the Cincy area that had some 4" external speakers for 2/$5, picked up 4.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#24]
The old guys setup at the street side of the infield track had those overpriced 2m rigs.  I could just tell they were of the "Well, they were way more than that when I bought them new!" mindset.  Glanced, didn't even slow down.  But, I only got a little time in the flea market on Friday morning, and a little bit on Saturday morning, and maybe an hour on Sunday before we had to leave.  Got home at 10 last night, just finished getting the camper parked right in the driveway.  Never touched the $1000 extra spending cash I brought.  Kinda bummed about that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#25]
typical hamfest pricing ( also QRZ.com )

charge 15% more than what HRO charges for new

keep dust, boogers, cigarette ashes and cat hair on it

include some stupid modifications like a toggle switch hanging off the side, or the DC cable snipped right as it exits the chassis

“like new”

If you dare make a lower offer, expect a pit bull style response

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought some cheap commercial HTs, some VHF some UHF, either could be good for MURS or GMRS.  Will see if I need to repair anything on them.  There was a flea market vendor near the guys from the Cincy area that had some 4" external speakers for 2/$5, picked up 4.  
View All Quotes

When I was cruising at 36mph on my scooter through foot traffic at the indoor DX Engineering counter, it occurred to me that new hams don't know how to trouble shoot things and that's why my fairly priced half working items never sell.

Nice. I almost bought some old VHF Motos…… but started having images of computers with Windows 3.1 in my office to program them and ran away. Just not my jam.

Thanks for stopped by our flea market spot a couple times. I sold every item I brought…….. and walked the cash over to DX Engineering for my Yaesu 710. We came home with all that table filler stuff my dad drags around everywhere.

Cant wait to take the 710 and my new Spiderbeams 33’ mast out portable.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Nice. I almost bought some old VHF Motos   but started having images of computers with Windows 3.1 in my office to program them and ran away. Just not my jam.

Thanks for stopped by our flea market spot a couple times. I sold every item I brought  .. and walked the cash over to DX Engineering for my Yaesu 710. We came home with all that table filler stuff my dad drags around everywhere.

Cant wait to take the 710 and my new Spiderbeams 33' mast out portable.
View Quote
I've got DOS computers for just such a purpose.  Programmed some moto ht1000s for a friend.  Software worked fine, except the "clone" function.  I had to manually enter all the channels into each radio, and program each one individually.  What a pita.  Only programmed the 5 MURS freqs and 7 wx freqs as RX only.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice. I almost bought some old VHF Motos…… but started having images of computers with Windows 3.1 in my office to program them and ran away. Just not my jam.
View Quote

Dosbox is your friend
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Hamvention 2024 (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top