Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with what he said
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. 6.5 Creedmoor matches the ballistic trajectory of a 300 win mag, but it does not hit anywhere near as hard as a 300 win mag.

A 300 win mag has about 4000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. 6.5 Creedmoor has about 2200-2400. Since the ballistics are very similar, it's probably safe to say that a 300 win mag has almost double the energy of 6.5 Creedmoor at ANY range.

This is coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor fan that has killed elk. The beauty of the Creedmoor when compared to a win mag is it's low recoil and low powder consumption (for reloaders). I've shot 6" targets at 700+ yards with my Creedmoor, but would think twice about trying to take an elk at that range. I'd feel comfortable out to about 500-600 yards on an elk. I'd definitely feel better with a win mag at that point. However, keep in mind that bullet selection is key.
Indeed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Indeed.
View Quote
If he said grendel was the same as a 300 I would have agreed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If he said grendel was the same as a 300 I would have agreed.
View Quote
I know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It hits harder than  300 win mag. Look at the ballistics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I keep seeing 6.5 creedmor being mentioned around. Is it really that good of a round? 

If you were me, would you stick with .308 or go to something else? 
It hits harder than  300 win mag. Look at the ballistics.
Wrong! Please support this ridiculous statement.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. 6.5 Creedmoor matches the ballistic trajectory of a 300 win mag, but it does not hit anywhere near as hard as a 300 win mag.

A 300 win mag has about 4000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. 6.5 Creedmoor has about 2200-2400. Since the ballistics are very similar, it's probably safe to say that a 300 win mag has almost double the energy of 6.5 Creedmoor at ANY range.

This is coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor fan that has killed elk. The beauty of the Creedmoor when compared to a win mag is it's low recoil and low powder consumption (for reloaders). I've shot 6" targets at 700+ yards with my Creedmoor, but would think twice about trying to take an elk at that range. I'd feel comfortable out to about 500-600 yards on an elk. I'd definitely feel better with a win mag at that point. However, keep in mind that bullet selection is key.
This is real info. Thanks. I love th this 6.5 and have killed a bull elk and other critters with it. It is awesome but for sheer power the 300 will win every time. The 6.5 is much nicer to shoot!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a roughly 10+ pound 300 RUM Sako 75. It'll get the job done easily at close range and if you need to make the long shot on one it really shines. Going to Canada with me as my primary for a moose, bear and muley hunt in 2019.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would be fine with a 308, and have taken 3 with my 308 AR.
Mine is a 16” and come in at 10.7 lbs with scope and 5 rds.

Still a little heavy but doable.

My latest fav for timber is a 45-70 guide gun.  It’s a legit 200 yard gun with my handloads and flattens elk out quick.

I’ve been chasing those beasts for 35 years and it never gets old.

Killed 20 I think, over the years.  Quit hunting bulls mostly, my last 5 were cows.

I’ll say most of mine fell to a 30-06.  A couple to a 300 WM.  Even a lowly 30-30 put meat in the freezer.

Nothing at all wrong with the 308 , just keep the shots at a reasonable distance and put a good bullet in the boiler room and you will put meat in the freezer.

Adding, I don’t have a 6.5 yet, but I will soon.  That is a really Good round.
View Quote
What is the max range and shot placement for your AR10 on elk?

I'm headed to the Trinidad area for a Nov. elk hunt and I'm debating between my 16" AR-10 and my 300RUM(it would kill me at 15lbs)
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I was kind of unimpressed with the penetration of 308 on my elk last year, so this year I plan to use a recently acquired Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H. I plan to use Barnes 270gr LRX bullets. I ran the numbers and it should have slightly less drop at 500 yards than my 6.5 Creedmoor, but as much energy at that range as my 6.5 Creedmoor has at the muzzle!

Here's a pic of my selected hunting bullet (9mm round for scale)
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm headed to the Trinidad area for a Nov. elk hunt and I'm debating between my 16" AR-10 and my 300RUM(it would kill me at 15lbs)  
View Quote
When I am using my 308 AR, I am pretty much hunting in the timber.

Like shown on the pic on page 1.  The longest shot in there would be 200 or so.  All my kills in the timber have been under 100 though, and I go for the shoulder.  Not behind it, right on it.  The heart is right back there, and even if you don’t hit it, a broken front end drops them right there.   Never had an issue with that shot.

Thing is, I know my hunt areas very well.  I don’t take the AR if I’m getting into an area that will open up and get me into the longer shots.   It would probably be capable out to 300 or more.  I bang steel
Often with it out to 450, but that is off a rest and totally different.

When I’m hunting open country, the 300WM gets carried.   Totally confident with that out to 500 when I can get a rest.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
you will have no trouble killing an elk with a .308, my hunting rifle is a 20" CTR that may become and 18" here pretty soon. You just need to figure out your effective range, this comes from a few aspects like how far you are comfortable shooting that rifle, with the ammunition you choose what is the minimum expansion velocity? if you run a typical target/hunting round it is usually 1800fps, Hornady ELD-X's are 1600fps and i think the new Fed Edge TLR's are 1350fps. Then you need to figure out the minimum amount of energy you are willing to use on an elk, for me thats roughly 1000 ft/lbs but i think most people use 1500ft/lbs as a minimum. from those 3 criteria you can then figure out your effective range. for me and my tikka that puts my minimum velocity threshold at 789.7yds and my 1000 ft/lb energy threshold at 798.7yds so roughly 800yds. but there are lots of factors at play so these calculation need to be taking the day you are hunting depending on the weather, during hunting season in the cold those numbers may be at 6/700yds. i am comfortable making 1st round hits at 800yds on a stop sign which is a little bigger then the vitals on an elk, but i would probably not be comfortable making that shot on a elk. In the end you have to decide what your ethically range is and what you're comfortable with and make choices on the conditions present, but .308 is definitely not under gunned for elk!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Like shown on the pic on page 1.  The longest shot in there would be 200 or so.  All my kills in the timber have been under 100 though, and I go for the shoulder.  Not behind it, right on it.  The heart is right back there, and even if you don’t hit it, a broken front end drops them right there.   Never had an issue with that shot.

Thing is, I know my hunt areas very well.  I don’t take the AR if I’m getting into an area that will open up and get me into the longer shots.   It would probably be capable out to 300 or more.  I bang steel

When I’m hunting open country, the 300WM gets carried.   Totally confident with that out to 500 when I can get a rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm going to stick with the RUM unless I can get find a savage hog hunter in 338WM, get it stocked and get good practice in before NOV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was kind of unimpressed with the penetration of 308 on my elk last year, so this year I plan to use a recently acquired Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H. I plan to use Barnes 270gr LRX bullets. I ran the numbers and it should have slightly less drop at 500 yards than my 6.5 Creedmoor, but as much energy at that range as my 6.5 Creedmoor has at the muzzle!

Here's a pic of my selected hunting bullet (9mm round for scale)
https://s9.postimg.org/5yapusg5r/IMG_20180302_212321.jpg
View Quote
Fun guns!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top