Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2017 5:53:44 PM EDT
I know we have several similar threads on this.

I am getting into elk hunting for next year and am trying to choose a new gun caliber. A few thoughts to toss around.

1. I have an AR10 in .308 with 18" barrel that I could use but I feel like it's pretty heavy for hunting and I might get tired of carrying it for miles and miles. It's 12lbs. Thoughts on this? Should I just use it?

2. Should I just get a new rifle since it will be lighter?

3. Should I choose a new caliber? Part of me wants to stick with .308 since it's a decent round. I don't see myself taking long range shots. 300-400 yards max. My buddy hunts elk with his 300 BLK.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Bergara B-14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor is the rifle I would purchase.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A 12 pound will kill you on most elk hunts. Look for something in the 7lb range.

6.5C will do great, as would any round 7mm-08 and up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
308 is normally considered a little light for Elk - bulls weigh 705 to 730 lb on average so there is a lot of meat there (you are shooting a horse/bull sized animal after all).  (270 280 and 243 also fall into this "little light" category)  I'm sure it might be fine, but then it depends on how much you are spending on hunting elk - I wouldn't want to waste a once in the lifetime trip/shot on a too small caliber.  In the same vein, if you shot the 308 well, and a new gun not so well - use the 308!

Most say 30-06 180 grain high quality bullets as a minimum.  I'm sure a 45/70 would be fine too.  Most people go to 7mm, 300, 338 Mags in bolt guns, you can find them frequently on the used rack because many people use them once (elk or bear) and sell them off with minimum shooting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 12 pound will kill you on most elk hunts. Look for something in the 7lb range.

6.5C will do great, as would any round 7mm-08 and up.
View Quote
Yep, I've never been up a mountain and wished my gun were heavier.

But I'm a proponent of .30 caliber and larger magnums for elk.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
As already said, your 18” 308 AR-10 would do the trick, but it’s a bit too heavy to lug around on most elk hunts, IMO.

Get a 308 bolt gun, or as also already suggested, a 6.5 creedmoor. Some may try to tell you that you need a bazooka for an elk, but modern ammo and the real world has long proven otherwise. My 300 win mag still serves a purpose, but frankly, I don’t use it all that much anymore. Prefer shooting 6.5 creedmoor at 1k anyways.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my 338 for elk very much, wouldn't trade it for the world. Lightweight stock and ported, works just fine.
It has never let me down, long, flat and alot of punch.
I wouldn't carry a 12 lb rifle on a elk hunt if I had too, guess I am lazy or something.
I like to cover alot of miles when needed in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a Sako Mannlicher Carbine in .338 Win Magnum, 8.5 pounds with scope(Leupold  2.5-8), sling and 4 rounds of ammo in it.  It has been carried and used all over The North American continent. It is very accurate, and has never failed to get the job done.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
6.5 over a .270 for elk? I know there's variables..but in general
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on where you’re hunting and the shots you anticipate taking.  I’ve killed two with a 30-06 and one with a 35 Whelan.  The two ‘06 kills were right at 150 yds and the 35 Whelan was about 80 yds. All three were DRT.  If I ever get to go again, I’d like to build a super lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor.  

Maybe one of these, Barrett Fieldcraft
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep seeing 6.5 creedmor being mentioned around. Is it really that good of a round? 

If you were me, would you stick with .308 or go to something else? 
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I would be fine with a 308, and have taken 3 with my 308 AR.
Mine is a 16” and come in at 10.7 lbs with scope and 5 rds.

Still a little heavy but doable.

My latest fav for timber is a 45-70 guide gun.  It’s a legit 200 yard gun with my handloads and flattens elk out quick.

I’ve been chasing those beasts for 35 years and it never gets old.

Killed 20 I think, over the years.  Quit hunting bulls mostly, my last 5 were cows.

I’ll say most of mine fell to a 30-06.  A couple to a 300 WM.  Even a lowly 30-30 put meat in the freezer.

Nothing at all wrong with the 308 , just keep the shots at a reasonable distance and put a good bullet in the boiler room and you will put meat in the freezer.

Adding, I don’t have a 6.5 yet, but I will soon.  That is a really Good round.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]
6.5 creedmoor is the beez neez. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the best “big game” caliber, but it’s more than enough for most game up to elk. Crazy high velocities with very minimum recoil. IMO, the all-around king of the 20 cal cartridges. Certainly my favorite cartridge for precision shooting out to 1k, as well.

To answer your second question, that’s up to you. I think every rifle guy should have a 308, and a 6.5 CM. Your AR-10 sounds pretty heavy to hunt with...
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
6.5 creedmoor is the beez neez. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the best “big game” caliber, but it’s more than enough for most game up to elk. Crazy high velocities with very minimum recoil. IMO, the all-around king of the 20 cal cartridges. Certainly my favorite cartridge for precision shooting out to 1k, as well.

To answer your second question, that’s up to you. I think every rifle guy should have a 308, and a 6.5 CM. Your AR-10 sounds pretty heavy to hunt with...
View Quote
What do you consider "crazy high velocities"? Because the creed is not fast by most standards most loads are well under 3k. And I'm not bagging on it I love the 6.5 creed and shot a bull elk and two antelope this year with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#14]
The 6.5 creedmoor is like the new 270. It can take up to even moose, and is softer shooting and flatter flying than the 270. Also has short action benefits, and more readily available and affordable match ammo. Can you push a 270 a little more velocity wise? Sure. Doesn’t take away the other attributes of the 6.5 I previously mentioned. There’s a reason why I’m seeing even old school hunters that have sworn by the 270 for years acknowledge that the 6.5 CM will ultimately become king of the hill. They’re right, but the one area they’re wrong...it’s already king of the hill.

And why did I reference that in regards to your question? Because, frankly, the 6.5 CM and 270 are kinda in their own realms regarding velocities for moose capable cartridges that aren’t of the magnum variety. Can’t get any better in the 20 cal realm, and they surpass a lot of the most popular comparable 30 cal cartridges as well - while flatter flying, and softer shooting.

Perhaps labeling it “crazy high velocities” is a bit too much, but the 6.5 certainly does things none of the other comparable cartridges can overall in that realm. I’m not sure when I’ll bother with my 300 WM or 338 WM again. I don’t intend to hunt kodiak brown bear, go on an African hunting safari, etc. I think cartridges like the 6.5 CM are making a lot of these larger more popular calibers of the past become niche, personally. Not much or anything you can’t do in the contiguous US with a 6.5.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:20:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Conventional wisdom used to be 30 caliber or larger with a minimum of 3k fps muzzle velocities.

That said, projectiles have advanced a LOT since then. With the newer all copper bullets coming into play with high weight retention and devastating expansion.

I still use a 300wsm with 165 Partitions, but it's because they've always worked for me and I'm too lazy to work up another load.

If I were to start over again today, I'd probably be looking into a 6.5 creedmoor due to excellent ballistic coefficient, probably with an all copper projectile if you don't plan to take shots at stupid long ranges. Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I would grab a tikka in 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08. Want something bigger to give ya the warm fuzzy get one in 270wsm or 300mag. Any modern center fire round under 300 yards will probably be fine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 3:31:15 AM EDT
[#17]
One more thing, the glass and a good set of binos is more important than caliber IMHO
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#18]
308 is great for elk, shot placement is what the game is about. However with elk they are super athletes so I personally try to put 2 shot in them. They can run real far, real fast best to not take chances. Have fun on you hunt next year and start hiking now.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Get a Remington mountain rifle in 280 (7mm express).  Handload 168 grn or 175 grn bullets will be good to 350/400 yards if you are up to the task.  Light weight stock and light barrel.  Should be less than 10# with the right scope.  If you go with a custom barrel I would do 280 A.I. for better ballistics.

7mm magnum performance in 30/06 cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#20]
If you didn't already own a 45/70 guide gun, a 450 Bushmaster upper for a AR15 can make a small and light package.

Otherwise 270 or 30.06 bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want to be geared up specifically for elk, and out to 400 yards, I would strongly recommend the classic magnum cartridges in a bolt action.

Sure, there have been great improvements in bullets, and there are some good long range cartridges available that we didn't have in the past, yet I still hold to the belief that maximum energy and good bullet design go hand in hand.

Just getting a shot at a legal elk is hard enough, making sure that shot gets the job done once its sent is within your options with the right cartridge and a well placed shot.

.300 winchester and .338 winchester magnum ammo is almost always available in elk country.

Try to find a rifle and scope combination that will be around 1Moa with good ammo.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#22]
It's taken me an average of 10 years in between each of my elk tags here in Arizona.  The first time I didn't see one.  The next I made a 455 yard shot on a 6x5 bull. We'll see what happens in a few weeks. That being said, I wouldn't go out with less than a 7mm Mag.  My go-to is a .300 H&H Mag shooting 200grn Partitions
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's taken me an average of 10 years in between each of my elk tags here in Arizona.  The first time I didn't see one.  The next I made a 455 yard shot on a 6x5 bull. We'll see what happens in a few weeks. That being said, I wouldn't go out with less than a 7mm Mag.  My go-to is a .300 H&H Mag shooting 200grn Partitions
View Quote
Lalwlz.  I've killed 4 elk in 5 years and always go on a couple extra hunts with friends. I've killed all of mine with a 7mm-08 Or 270. Was gonna use a 6.5 but doubt it will get here in time. I have to add I'm a horrible and killed my last two at 401 and 450.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lalwlz.  I've killed 4 elk in 5 years and always go on a couple extra hunts with friends. I've killed all of mine with a 7mm-08 Or 270. Was gonna use a 6.5 but doubt it will get here in time. I have to add I'm a horrible and killed my last two at 401 and 450.
View Quote
You wanted to use the Fix, didn't you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#26]
.308 Win. is plenty of gun for elk.  If you want to stick with it for logistics reasons or because you will shoot it better than a bigger cartridge it will serve you fine.  Just use a tough bullet.  A well placed bullet from a .308 Win will put a lot more meat in your freezer than a flinch and a miss from a big magnum.

Your .308 AR is also perfectly fine for hunting elk, if you don't mind carrying the weight.  I hunt Coues' deer with a 7.62 LaRue PredatOBR and it's a pretty beastly rifle.  Coues' deer are small but packing one out whole is about like bringing out an elk quarter.  They also tend to live in some hellaciously rough country.  Albeit I hunt them at lower altitudes than what you'll likely be facing on your elk hunt, but the terrain is still really steep.  I carry mine on a two point sling slung at the low ready so I can bring it up for a quick shot.  

You're either going to be in shape for elk country or your not.  An extra 3 or 4 pounds on your rifle, while not super pleasant, isn't what's going to make or break your ability to get around the mountains where the elk live.  Start building up your legs now.  You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/c098495025400fffc09c3cb11a07a968/tenor.gif

I hate you.
It's not my fault!

I just know how these companies do business, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:59:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Well shit.

I tried asking the same question in GD and only got two replies. I'm also gearing up for my first elk hunt and am looking for the right caliber to build around.

Bought this thing:

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-m5-builder-set-w-15-m-lok-handguard-anodized-black-993

because it was a smokin' deal and was just gonna build another .308, but thought I might be able to make an elk rifle with it.

Is such a thing even possible? Or should I just build my battle rifle and plan for a separate, bolt action elk gun..

(sorry for the hijack OP)
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I mean, if you want to hunt elk with an large frame AR, do it. It's an interesting challenge.

Myself, I'd get a Tikka T3 in .338 Win Mag
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I mean, if you want to hunt elk with an large frame AR, do it. It's an interesting challenge.

View Quote
Does a first time elk hunter need more of a challenge?

I've only shot pigs and other nuisance animals. I'm a zombie hunter, not a wabbit hunter.

Just want to know if I'm an idiot for considering an AR-10 for an elk hunt.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:22:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've only shot pigs and other nuisance animals. I'm a zombie hunter, not a wabbit hunter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive never wanted my rifle to be heavier while I'm on the mountain.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ive never wanted my rifle to be heavier while I'm on the mountain.
View Quote
Good enough. I've always wanted an 18" .308 anyways.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
.308 Win. is plenty of gun for elk.  If you want to stick with it for logistics reasons or because you will shoot it better than a bigger cartridge it will serve you fine.  Just use a tough bullet.  A well placed bullet from a .308 Win will put a lot more meat in your freezer than a flinch and a miss from a big magnum.

Your .308 AR is also perfectly fine for hunting elk, if you don't mind carrying the weight.  I hunt Coues' deer with a 7.62 LaRue PredatOBR and it's a pretty beastly rifle.  Coues' deer are small but packing one out whole is about like bringing out an elk quarter.  They also tend to live in some hellaciously rough country.  Albeit I hunt them at lower altitudes than what you'll likely be facing on your elk hunt, but the terrain is still really steep.  I carry mine on a two point sling slung at the low ready so I can bring it up for a quick shot.  

You're either going to be in shape for elk country or your not.  An extra 3 or 4 pounds on your rifle, while not super pleasant, isn't what's going to make or break your ability to get around the mountains where the elk live.  Start building up your legs now.  You'll be glad you did.
View Quote
Thank you for your comment. You are right about the 3-4 extra pounds. Not a ton but also still doable if I'm in shape. I've started working on my cardio a lot more recently to build up for this, I'm more of a weight lifter so I am in shape as far as strength but not cardio wise.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well shit.

I tried asking the same question in GD and only got two replies. I'm also gearing up for my first elk hunt and am looking for the right caliber to build around.

Bought this thing:

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-m5-builder-set-w-15-m-lok-handguard-anodized-black-993

because it was a smokin' deal and was just gonna build another .308, but thought I might be able to make an elk rifle with it.

Is such a thing even possible? Or should I just build my battle rifle and plan for a separate, bolt action elk gun..

(sorry for the hijack OP)
View Quote
Totally fine. I am in the same boat. I already have the M5 in .308 but I need all the other gear so I'll be spending a lot of money. I think what I'm going to do is get the gear that I need and then see where I'm at money wise to get a bolt gun(unless I see a killer deal on a bolt gun for black friday).
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Traditions in .50 Cal Hornady SST sabots
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
for what it's worth, my PTR91 is 12 lbs with a full mag and suppressor

Link Posted: 11/18/2017 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
for what it's worth, my PTR91 is 12 lbs with a full mag and suppressor

https://s1.postimg.org/2h4bk67s73/IMG_20171028_164906.jpg
View Quote
Nice!!!

The only thing I know about Big Game hunting out West is that hat it’s gonna cost me when I go, so with that said....

Do you get to drive a vehicle right to your elk, or does the REAL work begin after you put them down ?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nice!!!

The only thing I know about Big Game hunting out West is that hat it’s gonna cost me when I go, so with that said....

Do you get to drive a vehicle right to your elk, or does the REAL work begin after you put them down ?
View Quote
Lol. Its like killing a fucking cow in the hills. Its gonna be 8 trips if you bring it out on your back if you kill a bull and probably 6 with a cow. Elk aren't stupid and know roads are where people are.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lol. Its like killing a fucking cow in the hills. Its gonna be 8 trips if you bring it out on your back if you kill a bull and probably 6 with a cow. Elk aren't stupid and know roads are where people are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!!!

What I figured...

I hunt public land for whitetail now.  Mostly a mile or more back in.  It's only going to be my biggest buck to date, or nothing.

Plenty of opportunity to nail doe and young of the year with only a 100 yard drag and short cart ride to the truck.

I'd love to take my T.C. Encore in 30-06 out West some day.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nice!!!

View Quote
Yeah, that's when the real work begins. Better have some friends you can call to come help.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Man that Barrett Fieldcraft looks awesome.  5.15 pounds for a .308 with 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
308 is normally considered a little light for Elk - bulls weigh 705 to 730 lb on average so there is a lot of meat there (you are shooting a horse/bull sized animal after all).  (270 280 and 243 also fall into this "little light" category)  I'm sure it might be fine, but then it depends on how much you are spending on hunting elk - I wouldn't want to waste a once in the lifetime trip/shot on a too small caliber.  In the same vein, if you shot the 308 well, and a new gun not so well - use the 308!

Most say 30-06 180 grain high quality bullets as a minimum.  I'm sure a 45/70 would be fine too.  Most people go to 7mm, 300, 338 Mags in bolt guns, you can find them frequently on the used rack because many people use them once (elk or bear) and sell them off with minimum shooting.
View Quote
So many Elk have been killed with a 308 it isn't even worth mentioning as "a little light".  243, IMHO, is not a viable Elk round to consider.  Plus, I watched a friend put 5 rounds of 180gr 30-06 in one from 100 yards away before it fell.  Two liver shots, two lung shots and one in the gut. Just kept on walking.  Mine fell using my 308 PA10 (10.5#) using 165gr Speer BTSP's with one well placed shot behind the shoulder.  Fell like someone hit it with a 20# sledge hammer in the head.  Full penetration through both lungs and I wasn't even using a bonded bullet.  Found the jacket in the opposite lung and part of the lead in the opposite rib cage.  Great performance from that bullet for certain.  I'll be using them again.  I also shot a 390# Cow Elk in New Mexico a week ago with my PA10 and the same load.  DRT on a shoulder shot 120 yards away.

For the OP, if you plan on using the AR10, bump up your loads to as close to max as you can watching for pressure signs.  Mine are right at max with IMR4064 and that Speer bullet and no pressure signs were present.  It was hot judging from the recoil but did the deed very nicely.  I would have preferred to use 165 Accubonds but couldn't get the accuracy I wanted at the same velocity of the Speers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice!!!

View Quote
You've never worked so hard in your life until you kill one 1-3 miles from the nearest road on top of a mountain or in a canyon, which, BTW, is where you are going to find most of them.  Cow or Bull.  Been there done that.  I got lucky on my recent Cow Elk hunt in New Mexico last week.  It was shot 120 yards from the road in a meadow.  We drove right up to it.  Still, it took 4 of us and a wench to get it into the Guide's truck and it was only 340# gutted.  It would have been a real chore with a Bull and probably would have needed to be quartered minimum to load it.  A few years ago my hunting partner and I helped a couple of hunters haul a bull out of a canyon 2.5 miles from nowhere in archery season.  It took 4 trips from 10 AM until 4 AM the next morning to finally get it out.  Hunting by yourself if you plan on doing any hiking in for any distance is really not an option.

You might get lucky just driving around looking for a spot and stalk opportunity but you'll likely be joining all the other "heater hunters" (road hunters) out there who constantly complain about the lack of Elk they have seen on the same mornings we saw as many as a dozen just 1-2 miles in the back country.  It ain't deer hunting for certain and they are one damn heavy beast.  Enough so we always carry a small block and tackle in our pack just so we can roll the beast over to skin the other side.  By hand, a good size bull is almost impossible to even roll over with 2 guys trying.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You've never worked so hard in your life until you kill one 1-3 miles from the nearest road on top of a mountain or in a canyon, which, BTW, is where you are going to find most of them.  Cow or Bull.  Been there done that.  I got lucky on my recent Cow Elk hunt in New Mexico last week.  It was shot 120 yards from the road in a meadow.  We drove right up to it.  Still, it took 4 of us and a wench to get it into the Guide's truck and it was only 340# gutted.  It would have been a real chore with a Bull and probably would have needed to be quartered minimum to load it.  A few years ago my hunting partner and I helped a couple of hunters haul a bull out of a canyon 2.5 miles from nowhere in archery season.  It took 4 trips from 10 AM until 4 AM the next morning to finally get it out.  Hunting by yourself if you plan on doing any hiking in for any distance is really not an option.

You might get lucky just driving around looking for a spot and stalk opportunity but you'll likely be joining all the other "heater hunters" (road hunters) out there who constantly complain about the lack of Elk they have seen on the same mornings we saw as many as a dozen just 1-2 miles in the back country.  It ain't deer hunting for certain and they are one damn heavy beast.  Enough so we always carry a small block and tackle in our pack just so we can roll the beast over to skin the other side.  By hand, a good size bull is almost impossible to even roll over with 2 guys trying.
View Quote
Unfortunately I can say from experience you can absolutely pack a elk out by yourself. Expect to make about 8 trips for a bull and 6 for a cow.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!!!

Jesus !

I never even considered such a thing !

Quoted:

Unfortunately I can say from experience you can absolutely pack a elk out by yourself. Expect to make about 8 trips for a bull and 6 for a cow.
I can only imagine what that was like.

Were you able to roll it over by yourself, or did you just keep cutting meat and bone away from top to bottom ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a thing I learned a few elk back, kind of a modified no gut field dressing.

I peel the hide back, and use the skin side as a clean work area, elk laying on its side.   Pull the quarters and backstrap from that side facing up. Now you have taken a lot of weight off the carcass, roll it over on the skin laid out and repeat.  Once All 4 quarters are off, you can cut into the area behind the ribs and get out the small inside tenderloin.

Unless I am really close to a road, I will then bone out the meat.

Bag it and tag it, start humping.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Jesus !

I never even considered such a thing !

I can only imagine what that was like.

Were you able to roll it over by yourself, or did you just keep cutting meat and bone away from top to bottom ?
View Quote
Depends how they fall. Most time I just do the gutless method and start pulling off whatever I can get to first. Once I get them all broken down and deboned I'll pull out the tenderloin, heart, liver and tongue.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I keep seeing 6.5 creedmor being mentioned around. Is it really that good of a round? 

If you were me, would you stick with .308 or go to something else? 
View Quote
It hits harder than  300 win mag. Look at the ballistics.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It hits harder than  300 win mag. Look at the ballistics.
View Quote
No. 6.5 Creedmoor matches the ballistic trajectory of a 300 win mag, but it does not hit anywhere near as hard as a 300 win mag.

A 300 win mag has about 4000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. 6.5 Creedmoor has about 2200-2400. Since the ballistics are very similar, it's probably safe to say that a 300 win mag has almost double the energy of 6.5 Creedmoor at ANY range.

This is coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor fan that has killed elk. The beauty of the Creedmoor when compared to a win mag is it's low recoil and low powder consumption (for reloaders). I've shot 6" targets at 700+ yards with my Creedmoor, but would think twice about trying to take an elk at that range. I'd feel comfortable out to about 500-600 yards on an elk. I'd definitely feel better with a win mag at that point. However, keep in mind that bullet selection is key.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No. 6.5 Creedmoor matches the ballistic trajectory of a 300 win mag, but it does not hit anywhere near as hard as a 300 win mag.

A 300 win mag has about 4000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. 6.5 Creedmoor has about 2200-2400. Since the ballistics are very similar, it's probably safe to say that a 300 win mag has almost double the energy of 6.5 Creedmoor at ANY range.

This is coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor fan that has killed elk. The beauty of the Creedmoor when compared to a win mag is it's low recoil and low powder consumption (for reloaders). I've shot 6" targets at 700+ yards with my Creedmoor, but would think twice about trying to take an elk at that range. I'd feel comfortable out to about 500-600 yards on an elk. I'd definitely feel better with a win mag at that point. However, keep in mind that bullet selection is key.
View Quote
I agree with what he said
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top