Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2024 2:20:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted]
It failed the other day. I checked the box. It was not a result of lightning and nothing has burn marks.

Batter has power. The button on the outside makes an audible click when pressed.

I pulled and inspected all of the automotive fuses. All checked out.

The outfit that installed it is rather proud of their trip fees.

I'll post a couple pictures in a moment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Checked the battery under load?  I had a failing battery that was hard to diagnose since I didn't think to disconnect the solar.

Have you modified anything since the initial install?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
When ours malfunctions...it is almost always the battery
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:
Checked the battery under load?  I had a failing battery that was hard to diagnose since I didn't think to disconnect the solar.

View Quote

Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
View Quote

Revisiting it tonight. The battery isn't old and has been well-maintained. We do have more traffic though. I'm letting another family use a couple stalls for kids' FFA projects. My brother and his kids access there property through mine too. I'm quietly wondering if the solar is struggling to keep up. It wouldn't be the worst problem if I can just upgrade the panel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

Revisiting it tonight. The battery isn't old and has been well-maintained. We do have more traffic though. I'm letting another family use a couple stalls for kids' FFA projects. My brother and his kids access there property through mine too. I'm quietly wondering if the solar is struggling to keep up. It wouldn't be the worst problem if I can just upgrade the panel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Undaunted:
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Originally Posted By wvfarrier:

How is your solar charging?  Directly or through a charge controller?

I have my solar hooked up through a dedicated solar charge controller to the battery, then the battery directly wired up to the opener board, so I didn't need to get a controller that could output the current the gate needs.  By the time you troubleshoot it, may just be worth replacing the solar panels.  I put in a 25 watt panel (that was still bigger than what was on originally) that was all of $30.  Generally only 4-6 gate cycles a day though.  You can look up your general region and recommended wattage to keep up with a given number of cycles/day.

I got frustrated recently, so just did an all new battery, charge controller, and solar panel.  Still not 100% on what the problem was, but it all worked afterwards.

https://ghostcontrols.com/a/blog/which-panels-will-i-need-solar-specifications

Here's the estimator from Ghost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top