Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2023 11:18:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975]
How is it living out of an RV full time? Do you stay put most of the time or go from state to state? What state do you spend most of your time in? What kind and size of RV? If you have a pull-behind or truck camper, are you ever concerned about your truck breaking down and being stranded? Is it better to buy from a dealer or private party?

I can live under very minimal, cheap circumstances and if I didn’t have a wife/kids I would probably sell everything and roam the US.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:32:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#1]
I bought a 34’ Class A in July of 21 to move my family of four 1000 miles away due to a promotion.

We absolutely loved living in the RV for almost 5 months and it allowed us to slow-play buying a new home in the crazy market. Even so, we still didn’t do as good as we would have liked.  

Because of that, we are likely going to sell our home late this year and move back into our newer RV.  The replacement rig is only 4 years old with 8,000 miles on it and we’ve put 2k of those on it. It’s got3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, a washer/dryer unit, bunks for the boys and a kingsized bed.

My recommendation is to buy the nicest one you can absolutely afford, buy a good set of tools and diagnostic equipment, and go for it.  They’re easily as much works as a house, if not more, but I really wish I had discovered these as a 20-something.  I would have saved a ton on rent and had a lot more fun.

Buy from a private seller, much less chance you’ll get screwed as long as you are careful.

Honestly, driving the stupid thing is my happy place and I get this strange rush every time I open the main door when I haven’t seen it in a while.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never done it, but it's likely that's what we'll do when I retire in 5-10 years.

Speaking more at the macro level, a lot of RVs, especially trailers, aren't designed for full-timing.  Moisture/humidity is a serious potential problem, so just be aware of that.  If we go the trailer route, a dehumidifier is certainly in our list of gear.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a full timer, but I do love camping in my TT.

I have run into many that do full time, and it takes a lot of effort to succeed at it. You will either love it or hate it. Not much in between.

Generally there are 2 groups. Those that sell their home and go completely independent and those that don’t sell and have a home base.

Having a home base, even if down sized, allows you to maintain a lot of the stuff you accumulate. Being a gun based website, it allows you to keep your gun collection, ammo fort, and reloading set up in place as well as all the other things life has collected.

Going full time independently of a home base requires extraordinary downsizing to only what you can take. You really have no storage for  a lot of supplies and you have to plan for food resupply since you won’t have the luxury of a huge fridge and freezer. Some things are easier, but you also have to plan for water and tank dumps.

RVs have a lot of conveniences now that make it easier, like washer/dryers(although they are small).
You do meet all sorts of people but that’s not always a good thing.
To be so small, RVs get plenty dirty.
Also, couple that you living area is your transportation.

I don’t see myself ever full timing
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:54:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lizARdman15] [#4]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Been living in one since 2016. It's not bad for the most part. I travel alot for work. Biggest issue is getting mail or deliveries.

They aren't built like a house, they are less durable and cheap out where possible. Example my sink needed replacing so just go buy a new one right? Well kinda. The sink in a house has a 3/8 not fitting usually connected to a valve nearby

The RV had a direct thread to a 1/2 inch PEX fittings. Idk what that fitting actually is I ended up cutting it off and adding the house fittings to my PEX lines. 30bucks to do so but that's 30bucks the manufacturer saves. Same for the bathroom sink, toilet, shower, water board etc.

Propane is overall nice to use. Cooking with it is fine, heating naturally burns alot moreid suggest buying an extra set of tanks so you have propane while your going to fill the empty set. Sucks to run out at 2am when it's 20° out. during the summer a 7gal tank last me a month or so in the winter usually 1 a week. If it's below freezing 1 every 4-5 days. Mine heats my lower compartment to prevent pipes from freezing.

Make sure whatever you buy has a 4 season rating not a 3 season rating.and keep a heated hose if you are in sla location that stays below freezing for any kind of long term.

I'm personally staying in a 2020 jayco eagle 355mbqs 42ft 4 slide and if not for my child it would be a touch too big. I think 36ft is about perfect. Longer than that and I believe you should be using a dually regardless of the weight. Wind is scary sometimes even with a dually.

One real nice thing is I don't pay for electricity most of the time. So my lot rent is usually a flat rate 500-800 a month. Some parks to electricity separate I avoid those parks.

Some parks have a 10year age limit and a length limit..
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The towvehicle breaking down is a very real possibility. Almost got stranded on Wyoming year before last and Texas back in 2017.

If you buy a bumper pull most can be hauled by a U-Haul rental or even a normal rental to at least move the trailer short term. Enterprise even rents trucks with gooseneck balls. I had a 2021 3500 ram dually we had to rent from Enterprise in Cheyenne for work because they don't really have heavy equipment rental companies up there. Almost bought the same truck when I got home I liked it so much.

Hotshot companies will also move rvs granted it's gonna be expensive

Maintenance is key and staying on top of tire air pressures on the trailer is very important. No blow outs in the last 8years of towing an RV probably close to 40kmiles combined.

I do roughly 8-9k miles a year. Home address is Louisiana and that where I'm mostly at but I've towed to Detroit, Chicago, Rawlins, Denver, Memphis, Corpus Christi, and a fair bit more. Screw the mountains and screw tornado alley. Mountains are hard on brakes and tornado alley ie Oklahoma, Kansas, easy Colorado, north Texas are all horrible when the wind starts blowing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
I've never done it, but it's likely that's what we'll do when I retire in 5-10 years.

Speaking more at the macro level, a lot of RVs, especially trailers, aren't designed for full-timing.  Moisture/humidity is a serious potential problem, so just be aware of that.  If we go the trailer route, a dehumidifier is certainly in our list of gear.
View Quote

That’s what I’ve read.

Also, if I were to do it I would want one that’s set up from the factory for cold weather.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:13:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#8]
spam
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Homeless thread
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Family of five here.

We've been in our 28' "bunkhouse"(I don't know why they call it that, it has the corner bunks instead of a separate bedroom)since June.

We traveled around until about October and then found a spot we liked in Arizona. We're planning on hitting the road again in March or so to continue the search for our next home.

We bought on the small side because we have a 3/4 ton pickup and I didn't want to have issues finding places to park. After some experience, if I was going to buy another RV, I would probably look harder at 5th wheels because they tow more comfortably and it seems like you get more outside storage than a bumper pull. Another option that could have been awesome for us but much more expensive would be a "diesel pusher" and towing a car(or car trailer with a car and a shop area). I definitely wouldn't have a motorhome only. We borrowed one a couple years ago and it sucks having to pack up camp because you have to run to the store for something.

I'm not sure how much money you'd have to spend on an RV before the insides aren't full of bullshit quality stuff, but it's a lot. Be ready to deal with small stuff fairly regularly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Lived in a 19' Class B for years til I met FW_wife.

Bought used from a dealer of that brand.  Hidden window unit, 2.8 KW generator in the spare tire well, fridge, 2 burner stove, toilet, hot shower, propane heat & hot water, microwave, sleeps 2, drives 3 w/ the extra closet, dines 7.

Summers in Texas you'd better be plugged in at night or way the hell out of town so you can run the generator for the AC.  6 months of the year you crack a window & run the roof vent fan off the house batteries, or run the 12V fan on the propane heater at night.

When you stumble out of the bar it's great to walk straight into your house parked on the curb and sleep it off.

MPG is pretty bad on a 1 ton van that's fully loaded, and you have all the appliances of a house, but constantly shaking, so you have all the maintenance of a fully loaded 1 ton van and all the maintenance of house appliances - propane heat, fridge, plumbing, A/C, etc.

Sometimes when you stumble out of a bar w/ a good lookin woman on your arm, it's handy to have a bedroom parked on the curb, and a lot more comfortable than the back of FW_wife's SUV at the drive-in movie.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Full time for 6 years now. I have a job that requires travel but for extended times at the location. I have a home base with RV hookups and spend about 6 months a year traveling.

Ive had minor and major breakdowns, they suck. Especially the stranded in Wyoming breakdown, that gets expensive.  The roadside assistance is terrible, both good sam and AAA for RV's.  My truck is considerably older than my RV though. However with the price of new trucks I'll be driving it a while.

I have a 36ft 5th wheel and a turbo diesel truck.  Part of the problem is I'm quite tall and all the other options have me crouching in my own house, which I don't find acceptable. I'd like to find a ~26ft bumper pull that's acceptable but haven't yet, found a decent maker but the price is too high for me.

I bought my first one from a dealer, they fucked me around quite a bit. The second was from a private party and I had to do some replacements immediately on some things they told me were fine. Unfortunately the second purchase was during the lock-downs so the private party price was high.

There's a glut of RV's out there now, and many people who bought one to travel in are parking them after using them for a season.  After about 2024 there will be tons of them that have been sitting for 2 years hardly used.

If you can telecommute you can find rural rv parks with no frills for $350 a month.

Originally Posted By 1975:

That’s what I’ve read.

Also, if I were to do it I would want one that’s set up from the factory for cold weather.
View Quote

All RV's are 3 season rigs, unless they're built alaska for alaskans or they're Ice fishing rigs from the north but those have their own issues. Anything you will find in the normal RV's are not winter ready, unless you winter in the south.  I've tried several rigs in winter, it goes from 'not fun' to 'screw this' real fast.  There are ways to help a bit, all of them involve writing large checks. Buy skirting, buy an RV with double pane windows, buy a large propane tank and have it filled often, buy heated blankets and heated clothing, add rugs everywhere, add heaters to the pipes, spray foam every opening in you "alaskan package" insulation, etc
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, some random thoughts.

It's just me and a dog. However if you can set up the kids in online school and the wife on a telecommute job you can travel the lower 48.  I've met many at RV parks who do just that. KOA's have plenty of kids so they can socialize and play. As long as you have enough seatbelts and beds.  Your wife can follow in a car or you can rent one locally as you need.

Generally you pick a short hop distance that is like 4 hours between stops, go to an area and explore in your off time. Work/school happens in the campsite.

You have to want to do this though as it requires sacrifices. You have no space, it's tiny home living combined with car camping.

As far as picking your rig, they all have pro/con issues.  I choose 5th wheel because it fits my needs.  I need a vehicle that can haul when I'm working, I already own and like trucks. So that made 3 options, slide in, bumper or 5th wheel.

Class C have issues with servicing them, need brakes done? fuck off.  Both from RV dealers and chassis dealers. Ford won't service it and winnie doesn't work on anything that makes it go or stop.  You'll end up at kenworth paying commercial service prices. They don't fit in most places and you end up with a dingy (small tow behind car)

Class A are commercial service from the start. They cost a ton of money. They're a bus and don't fit anywhere, you have to get a dingy.

Anything that's long and heavy will be a pain to tow, weather may screw up your plans with windy days.

East of the mississippi the RV spots get smaller, down to 26ft in the older areas. Several times I've found open spots but they just cant fit a rig my size.

If you've never towed much, get ready for a learning curve. 75% chance the wife will say no to driving the rig.

If you've never driven full size vehicles, get ready for a learning curve.

If you've only towed bumper and switch to 5th wheel get ready for a smaller learning curve.

You need to be able to fix stuff or make enough to pay for someone to come fix it for you. Things break, there are constant maintenance items. If you're not handy, this may not be for you. Do not depend on the warantees for your rig.

This includes sewage, you will the get poo on you eventually.

Try to avoid towing at your max capacity. Just because your Taco has a tow rating doesn't mean that's a challenge. Sure it can in flat land, but start finding passes and you'll start tearing up the drivetrain real fast.

Most trailers have wide tire tracks, if you get a narrow truck, you will pay dearly in rutted roads. There are many rutted roads in the US.

Get ready for single digit MPG.

If you are the type that HAS to go fast, this is not for you. You need to understand what stopping distance really means. If you don't have respect for truckers, you will after 1 road trip.

ALWAYS look for your exit strategy when you pull in someplace, make sure you can get out.

Buy 2 way radios for parking the rig, they reduce the fights with the wife if you can communicate.  You will fight when parking the rig, it's stressful.  Try your best to take it easy. Splurge for Pull-thru sites whenever possible.

All that said, it's great.
Don't like your neighbors? Move.
Want to go see something, google the nearest campground.
Bad weather coming?  Leave.
Tired on a road trip? Your bed is right there.  
Don't like hotels because it's not home? It's your house right behind you.
Want to go someplace but hotels are $$$ or non existent? Bring your house with you.
Tired of trying to find a bathroom that is "clean enough" for your wife on a road trip? It's right behind you.  
Sick of forgetting something and having to buy it again? You won't because you brought your house with you.  
On a road trip ever gotten to your hotel, gotten a bite and then realized you have a second wind and could go another 2 hours? Just start driving again.
Ever been in the middle of nowhere to find hotels for $200 a night?  Find the nearest walmart, unless it's a major city you can park there overnight free.
There's ways you can stay for free at businesses if you are a customer. Like buy 1 bottle of wine a night and you can boondock in their parking lot.
Want to go play in the woods? Get a toy hauler and you can camp for about a week with 3-4 people if you're conservative with water and have a generator and bring out the toys.  
Have toys? I've seen rigs that have small aircraft in the back, side by sides, stacks of dirt bikes and quads etc.
Like the beach? You can get ocean front spots for "reasonable" prices $100ish a night if you shop a bit.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been full time for a little over two years in a 2021 Coachmen CrossTrek 20XG.  (Now called a "Cross Trail".  Apparently Subaru complained.)

The vehicle is a Ford F350HD and I have had no trouble getting it serviced.  (Now a little over 47,000.)  Not all Ford dealerships handle RVs, but a little leg work makes it happen.  (Plug for Battlefield Ford in Culpeper, VA here!)

The house part hasn't been a problem either, though I have upgraded the water heater and air conditioner with Truma products.  (The Germans make good stuff.)  I also upgraded the upholstery, suspension and a few other issues.  Maximum weight on this vehicle is 11,000lbs, and that is exactly how he is loaded right now.  Bottom line for me is that there isn't another vehicle on the market that would enable this lifestyle.  (I'm an itinerant concealed carry instructor.)

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#15]
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:  I have been full time for a little over two years in a 2021 Coachmen CrossTrek 20XG.  (Now called a "Cross Trail".  Apparently Subaru complained.)

The vehicle is a Ford F350HD and I have had no trouble getting it serviced.  (Now a little over 47,000.)  Not all Ford dealerships handle RVs, but a little leg work makes it happen.  (Plug for Battlefield Ford in Culpeper, VA here!)

The house part hasn't been a problem either, though I have upgraded the water heater and air conditioner with Truma products.  (The Germans make good stuff.)  I also upgraded the upholstery, suspension and a few other issues.  Maximum weight on this vehicle is 11,000lbs, and that is exactly how he is loaded right now.  Bottom line for me is that there isn't another vehicle on the market that would enable this lifestyle.  (I'm an itinerant concealed carry instructor.)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/20220514_115927-2434447.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/20220423_141434-2434467.jpg
View Quote

If you do Utah classes and come to north Texas, let's talk.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2620862_Congratulations-Idaho-post-NYSRPA-you-can-carry-in-48-states-.html

Utah would get me Washington State, where Fatalwishes' folks live.

ETA:  You can live comfortably in a long B.  Was just talking w/ @The_Dog, trying to persuade him to go to a large B.  Sprinters go up to 24' w/ dualies.  I lived in a 19' B for a decade before I met FW_wife.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:
I have been full time for a little over two years in a 2021 Coachmen CrossTrek 20XG.  (Now called a "Cross Trail".  Apparently Subaru complained.)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/20220514_115927-2434447.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42928/20220423_141434-2434467.jpg
View Quote

That’s a nice looking ride. Congratulations.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 5:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wolfpack] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:53:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZNetEng] [#18]
Coming up on 2 years full timing in a class A RV.

As mentioned above, realize that almost no units of any kind are made to be lived in. Be prepared to fix what breaks, because stuff will break.

As to your original set of questions...

How is it living out of an RV full time?
View Quote
We enjoy it, but it isn't for everyone.

Do you stay put most of the time or go from state to state? What state do you spend most of your time in?
View Quote
We have a home in NC but aren't ever there. We are mobile for 6-7 months and parked for 5-6 months in our "home" park
Arizona has been home for the last 22 years.

What kind and size of RV?
View Quote
We started with a 37' class A, and are now in a 44' class A.

Is it better to buy from a dealer or private party?
View Quote
Personally I'd recommend a dealer, but buy used. You might pay a little more but you can secure a solid warranty to cover what you cannot see.

You could also pay around 1k or more for a 3rd party inspection to see what you are getting into.

I say to buy used because the depreciation hit is enormous over year 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My parents retired into one that was just a little bit smaller than those giant bus sized ones and toured all over the country.  They would come to my house and park it in my driveway once in a while for a week or so, and it was great to see them.  They said that the motor home seemed to shrink every year.  After about 2.5 years they sold it and bought another house.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Wulf202:
Full time for 6 years now. I have a job that requires travel but for extended times at the location. I have a home base with RV hookups and spend about 6 months a year traveling.

Ive had minor and major breakdowns, they suck. Especially the stranded in Wyoming breakdown, that gets expensive.  The roadside assistance is terrible, both good sam and AAA for RV's.  My truck is considerably older than my RV though. However with the price of new trucks I'll be driving it a while.

I have a 36ft 5th wheel and a turbo diesel truck.  Part of the problem is I'm quite tall and all the other options have me crouching in my own house, which I don't find acceptable. I'd like to find a ~26ft bumper pull that's acceptable but haven't yet, found a decent maker but the price is too high for me.

I bought my first one from a dealer, they fucked me around quite a bit. The second was from a private party and I had to do some replacements immediately on some things they told me were fine. Unfortunately the second purchase was during the lock-downs so the private party price was high.

There's a glut of RV's out there now, and many people who bought one to travel in are parking them after using them for a season.  After about 2024 there will be tons of them that have been sitting for 2 years hardly used.

If you can telecommute you can find rural rv parks with no frills for $350 a month.

All RV's are 3 season rigs, unless they're built alaska for alaskans or they're Ice fishing rigs from the north but those have their own issues. Anything you will find in the normal RV's are not winter ready, unless you winter in the south.  I've tried several rigs in winter, it goes from 'not fun' to 'screw this' real fast.  There are ways to help a bit, all of them involve writing large checks. Buy skirting, buy an RV with double pane windows, buy a large propane tank and have it filled often, buy heated blankets and heated clothing, add rugs everywhere, add heaters to the pipes, spray foam every opening in you "alaskan package" insulation, etc
View Quote

I have done colorado camping in winter a few times. Secret is heat.  My coachmen is nothing special, small portable heater near dump tanks if you manage to freeze them. My only casualty was a 10 dollar sewer hose that froze up with gray water. Propane use wasn’t to bad and was plenty comfortable at my set 70 degree heat.

I have full timed for 2 years in a stationary spot when I was in college. It wasn’t too bad and I enjoyed nature. The dump tank is a bit meh and you have to stay on top of it with cleaning. They can be expensive though compared to a real house though in energy use due to lack of insulation. I think my energy bill was 100+ in summer with me shutting ac off when I wasn’t home to propane costs as much as 40+ a week. Wasn’t anything special but a gifted 10 year old forest River bunk model.

I would consider it again, but more in a travel situation or by my self if I didn’t have my family. I do love to travel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top