Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2020 1:12:43 PM EDT
MFJ end fed

How would this work, planning on running it up the side of my house then running it back and forth thru my attic.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same antenna, and it's LONG. 134ft sounds short until you start unrolling it I have a good sized suburban lot, and in an inverted-V configuration with the apex at 30ft I still had to run it diagonally to fit in my lot. In an inverted-V it does work really well though.

When I lived in a townhome, the best performing antenna I used was the AlexLoop. I had so much RF noise from my neighbors that I needed that deep null on the mag loop to reduce it and actually make contacts. I also just started operating portable from the mountains and parks more often.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The EFHW is a good workable antenna, but I would not call the 135ft. version a "limited space" antenna.

You can also get the same antenna that's only about 66 feet long at the expense of losing 80-meter capability, look for the models so named "40-10", they cover 40,20,15, and 10 meters.

Also, the MFJ models, while less expensive, are not the best options for a commercial EFHW, they use material and construction choices in their transformer feed-box that makes the antenna lossier than it should be.  I'd recommend the options from ParEndFedz (now sold by Vibroplex) or MyAntennas.  Or better yet, make your own for less than even the MFJ models, I did a write up thread a few months back on it here that also includes some shortened versions that may help in smaller space applications.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a vertical antenna.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a vertical antenna.
View Quote

DXE 43 foot vertical.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get a vertical antenna.
View Quote

+1

Even a shortened vertical is going to outperform a low wire like that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a vertical antenna.

+1

All depends on who you want to talk to, but in general I'd MUCH rather have a vertical than some "end fed" thing at a low height.

Butternut HF-6V for example is like 25 feet tall and can work the world. 80m bandwidth isn't much but with a tuner you can cover the whole band.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top