Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You modified the DX Engineering plate because you are using muffler clamps instead of the DXE U-bolts and saddles?

Are those U-bolts stainless? If so, from where did you obtain them?

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You modified the DX Engineering plate because you are using muffler clamps instead of the DXE U-bolts and saddles?

View Quote

Wrong on both counts. The clamps were ordered from DX Engineering but the holes aren’t big enough for the U-bolts, are not drilled in the correct locations, and I needed a different configuration than what the plates were drilled for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wrong on both counts. The clamps were ordered from DX Engineering but the holes aren’t big enough for the U-bolts, are not drilled in the correct locations, and I needed a different configuration than what the plates were drilled for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So then those are the galvanized 'economy' U-bolts and clamps from DXE?

I have a couple of the DXE 'universal' boom to mast plates, and several of the U-bolt/saddle clamps for which those plates are drilled (that I ordered a few years back - prices for the U-bolts and saddles seem to have skyrocketed since then - but I guess the same is true for a lot of things). I'm saving them for future HF antenna projects.

But I'm currently working on some VHF and UHF projects.

So those will probably involve some DIY - I have some 4-inch wide by 1/4-inch thick aluminum plate that I intend to use for constructing boom-to-mast mounts for those antennas - I'd prefer to find stainless clamps and saddles, but might consider going with galvanized ones - either type will probably outlast me...

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a couple of the DXE 'universal' boom to mast plates, and several of the U-bolt/saddle clamps for which those plates are drilled (that I ordered a few years back - prices for the U-bolts and saddles seem to have skyrocketed since then - but I guess the same is true for a lot of things). I'm saving them for future HF antenna projects.

So those will probably involve some DIY - I have some 4-inch wide by 1/4-inch thick aluminum plate that I intend to use for constructing boom-to-mast mounts for those antennas - I'd prefer to find stainless clamps and saddles, but might consider going with galvanized ones - either type will probably outlast me...

View Quote

Yes, the galvanized ones from DXE. I agree that they will last longer than me or the antennas.
On another note the 1/4” rod I bought is actually 6.5mm and no one makes 6.5mm push nuts. I solved the problem by forcing a 17/64” drill blank through the 1/4” push nuts to open them up a little. They fit fine now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, the galvanized ones from DXE. I agree that they will last longer than me or the antennas.
On another note the 1/4” rod I bought is actually 6.5mm and no one makes 6.5mm push nuts. I solved the problem by forcing a 17/64” drill blank through the 1/4” push nuts to open them up a little. They fit fine now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a good remedy for the push nuts...

I totally missed the ARRL June VHF contest - my antennas were not ready, my work on the 1KW 6-meter SSPA is lagging way behind schedule, my 222 MHz transverter project has barely gotten off the ground, and somehow I seem to have misplaced one of my Ham IV rotators (I'll probably stumble across it one of these days - I found the control box, so the rotator must be around 'somewhere').

But I see that there's a 222 MHz and above ARRL contest at the beginning of August, well ahead of the Sept. VHF and EME contests, so I should treat that contest as my goal (I might even be able to meet that one)...

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have zero interest in contests.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I decided to add a redneck panoramic feature to one of my security cameras.??
https://i.postimg.cc/9MKPdf4z/5-F291957-ABF7-43-F8-A7-B7-F88-EE5727-C1-E.jpg
View Quote

LOL We think alike. You can see mine in the white PVC DIY housing

towards the UHF beam in the pic I posted earlier.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LOL We think alike. You can see mine in the white PVC DIY housing

towards the UHF beam in the pic I posted earlier.
View Quote

Must be the dry desert air!??
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I figured out why the holes weren’t drilled big enough or located properly for the clamps I ordered from DXE. The expensive stainless clamps use 1/4” rod for the U-bolts which will fit their mounting plates.
But the “economy” clamps use 5/16” rod for the U-bolts with slightly different spacing so they won’t work with their mounting plates without modifications.
I think I prefer the more robust “economy” clamps.
Photo for reference. Economy on the left, expensive stainless on the right.

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The insulators for the 70cm yagi are done.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I started drilling the booms today.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice! How do you ensure your drill points are all in line as you move the boom in the vise? I always seem to end up with them somewhat off center somehow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice! How do you ensure your drill points are all in line as you move the boom in the vise? I always seem to end up with them somewhat off center somehow.
View Quote

I don’t move the vise between drilling holes, and use a level to align each hole with the next one. I adjust slightly due to the different telescoping boom sections as I drill.
The antennas are done, testing will commence in the morning.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks pro!
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Testing went well, no adjustments needed. Flat and 50ohms at the design frequencies. It’s already too hot to mount them to the tower today. Tomorrow I’ll mount them & my dipole, route coax, camera, and rotor cable. Maybe Monday the tower will go up.
I’m going out to the garage to weatherproof the baluns and element retainers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome! nice when the product matches the plans. Hot here as well. We did our weekly bluebird census, I cut the grass, and picked a half gallon of blackberries. Time to cool off, and then go watch fireworks later.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Made a little more progress.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice work! That's going to be a blowtorch setup!
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag for more pics. I need to study up on antenna design more. If I'm going to make one, I'll need to make it such that I can hit a repeater 63 miles away, or not bother at all.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tag for more pics. I need to study up on antenna design more. If I'm going to make one, I'll need to make it such that I can hit a repeater 63 miles away, or not bother at all.
View Quote

The plans I based these antennas from start on page 30 of the link below. When I had my previous 12 element 2 meter yagi I could reach repeaters around Tucson 113 miles south of my station in Phoenix reliably so you shouldn’t have any problems with 63 miles.

http://elabweb.hpa.edu/public/projects/KH6HPA/ARRL/ARRL%20antenna%20book/program%20files/ARRL%20Antenna%20Book%2022nd%20Edition/ARRL%20Antenna%20Book%2022nd%20Edition%20Content/15.pdf
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The plans I based these antennas from start on page 30 of the link below. When I had my previous 12 element 2 meter yagi I could reach repeaters around Tucson 113 miles south of my station in Phoenix reliably so you shouldn't have any problems with 63 miles.

http://elabweb.hpa.edu/public/projects/KH6HPA/ARRL/ARRL%20antenna%20book/program%20files/ARRL%20Antenna%20Book%2022nd%20Edition/ARRL%20Antenna%20Book%2022nd%20Edition%20Content/15.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The plans I based these antennas from start on page 30 of the link below. When I had my previous 12 element 2 meter yagi I could reach repeaters around Tucson 113 miles south of my station in Phoenix reliably so you shouldn't have any problems with 63 miles.

Thanks! I'm fortunate in that I still have my old TV tower outside so I'll be able to get this up off the ground and make the most of it considering I'm in town.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks! I'm fortunate in that I still have my old TV tower outside so I'll be able to get this up off the ground and make the most of it considering I'm in town.
View Quote

The modeling program at the top of the link below is what I used to tweak the element length and spacing to squeeze a little more gain out of them.

http://fermi.la.asu.edu/w9cf/yagipub/index.html
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe we can set up a sched & work each other on simplex? What part of AZ are you in?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looked you up, looks like we’re about 50 miles apart as the crow flies, 68 if driving. I’m in west Phoenix, should be doable shooting around the east end of the Estrella range.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My primary station is in AJ. The VF address is old but family still lives there.

I've got a tripod with a 4 el 2m and 10 el UHF beam on it...but it's in my kitchen.

I've been busy at work and the heat has been too excessive the last few weeks to get up on the roof

on my days off.

I'm going to try to get a small vertical up this week. This will be a lot easier and I won't have to get on the roof.
View Quote

Ah, Apathy Junction, I don’t seem to have a path into there on VHF, I think Camelback Mountain, the Papago Buttes, etc. are in the way.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#27]
They are up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Where's that 'LIKE' button when you need it...

Link Posted: 7/11/2020 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
That's really cool. I need to order up supplies for one of these.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do you use a jig or tool to push them onto the rod or do you do it by hand?

I'm also wondering about the feasibility of using a conical tool (like a reamer but without the cutting edges) to slightly open up the push nuts - or would that be a futile exercise that would simply end up with push nuts without enough grip?
View Quote

BTW, I used a 2 foot length of 3/8” diameter aluminum tubing as a push tool for the retainers on the 2 meter version, a short piece for the 70cm. Worked great, and seated the elements to the boom more securely than pushing them on by hand.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Very nice!

How does it perform? Hows the SWR?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Very nice!

How does it perform? Hows the SWR?
View Quote

It works quite well. I’m a simplex operator, despise repeaters. I worked a mobile station 55 miles away with 20 watts this morning. I had him at S-5, he had me full scale. SWR is below 1:3 across the 2 meter band. 70cm is flat at the low end where my crossband frequency is, and 1:5 at the high end.
I’m really pleased with the antennas.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just ordered a new rotator and hopefully get my tripod

installed on the roof next week if the WX cooperates.
View Quote

Sweet, let me know when it’s up, we can try simplex. I’ve been playing with C4FM recently, do you have a Fusion radio? Digital may get through if analog won’t.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No Fusion or other digital voice capabilities here. I'll be on an Icom IC-706mk2g so I will have SSB, AM and FM.

I was going to forgo the rotor because I really only need coverage to the southeast (Florence area) where

I go off road the most. Was going to just point the antennas that way and call it good but Amazon has

a pretty good deal on a light duty rotor so I bought it.
View Quote

Cool, I only have FM and digital on 2m. We can only try, post here or PM me when you have it set up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No Fusion or other digital voice capabilities here. I'll be on an Icom IC-706mk2g so I will have SSB, AM and FM.

I was going to forgo the rotor because I really only need coverage to the southeast (Florence area) where

I go off road the most. Was going to just point the antennas that way and call it good but Amazon has

a pretty good deal on a light duty rotor so I bought it.
View Quote

After running the antennas for a couple of weeks I think we can connect via FM simplex. I’ve had it aimed East/Southeast for a week or so and can chat with a lot of East side stations from Fountain Hills to Queen Creak.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Years ago a buddy lived in south Scottsdale and we were able to go VHF simplex.

Funny thing is that I had my antennas pointed at the face of the Superstition Mountains.

If I pointed the antenna directly at him the signal went to crap. Reflected signal is a thing!

Still too hot to get on the roof and looks like it's going to be hot again all this coming week.

My luck it will cool off some and I'll get the antennas up....then a monsoon storm will blow

them off the roof a few days later.
View Quote

I’ve seen the same behavior with VHF here in Phoenix, I used to bounce off of Shaw Butte to talk to stations out towards Wckenburg, figured I was bouncing around the White Tank Mountains to my west.
Send me a PM when you get it sorted out, I think it’ll work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#40]
For fun I connected the 70cm yagi to my TV. Pulled in 12 more stations aimed southeast from Phoenix.??
I’ll aim north tomorrow & rescan to see if I can pull in some more from the peaks that serve northern AZ.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#41]
All these pics of yagi's in the wrong orientation! Once you go 2m SSB, FM just seems too easy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
All these pics of yagi's in the wrong orientation! Once you go 2m SSB, FM just seems too easy.
View Quote

It’s pretty lonely on 2 meter SSB in Arizona. Lots of mountains, and lots of stations on FM simplex here though, hence the vertical polarization.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I did a test with these antennas today. I set them up through a duplexer with my TM-V71A  in crossband mode & aimed them across central Phoenix towards where I work 12 miles away and within a few feet of the same elevation. I was able to access the crossband function with 1 watt from an HT. With 5 watts I was full quieting.
I’m happy with their performance, now I need a dual band radio and antenna for my car to do longer distance crossband tests.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#44]
A ham friend hired me to build him a pair of yagis. I finished up his 70cm version this morning.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#45]
FYI, the clamp on the right is designed for surface area to keep the boom from rotating in heavy winds with long elements. With the tiny elements you have you should have no issue with boom slippage.

Quoted:

I figured out why the holes weren’t drilled big enough or located properly for the clamps I ordered from DXE. The expensive stainless clamps use 1/4” rod for the U-bolts which will fit their mounting plates.
But the “economy” clamps use 5/16” rod for the U-bolts with slightly different spacing so they won’t work with their mounting plates without modifications.
I think I prefer the more robust “economy” clamps.
Photo for reference. Economy on the left, expensive stainless on the right.
https://i.postimg.cc/Ss0QCShk/06-FF97-D3-6-F62-47-E4-ADF2-6-DD309-F4-EFEA.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FYI, the clamp on the right is designed for surface area to keep the boom from rotating in heavy winds with long elements. With the tiny elements you have you should have no issue with boom slippage.

View Quote

Yeah, either type is overkill in this application for sure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#47]
I finished my friends 2 meter yagi this morning.

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Cool, I keep it aimed southeast most of the time, as I work in that  direction & use the crossband function.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top