Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/8/2010 6:40:12 PM EDT
Ok so besides storing ammo what other things do you use your ammo cans for? Im looking for outside the box ideas. Show me your creative side for using ammo cans for a Survival / Shtf lifestyle.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have ran a few rivers where they were used as toilets. (Lined with plastic of course)
Geocaches
Computer case
Ammo can stove
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
drilled holes in the bottom for drainage several coates of rustolium paint and I use them for storage of snow chains in the bed of my truck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any pics but back in 99' there were a lot of smoke pits at Camp Pendleton made from empty ammo cans and crates. They were filled with dirt and stacked like bricks.

In a SHTF situation dirt filled cans could be used to fortify a position.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember in Band of Brothers how Malarkey was using one as a pot?
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Soak your feet.
You'll need two of them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Can also be used as an oven.  lay on side and cover the sides with hot coals from fire.

Ballot box.

Catch box for oil change.

Tool box.

Seen one used as a jack stand for a small car.  (lid was on)

Furniture (stack like Lego's)

Tinder box.

Water catch.

First aid kit.

Bench rest at range.

Get a one of them after market locking things and use it as a lock box for valuables.

Tire chock.

Counter weights for a tractor.

Crayon box

Small list of things I have seen but I'm sure there are more.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Lesbian lunch box.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok so besides storing ammo what other things do you use your ammo cans for? Im looking for outside the box ideas. Show me your creative side for using ammo cans for a Survival / Shtf lifestyle.

I have a big 20mm ammo can that is like this http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?productID=922 that I am in the process of turing into a tool kit for my truck.

J-
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 20mm cans set up as grab and go boxes.  Each contains a set of BDUs, an ALICE harness/suspenders with a buttpack (packed with my common needs gear) 2 canteens, compass, med pouch, etc.  Also has 3 mag carrier with mags, 1 spare pistol mag and some extra ammo.  Small amount of food and 6 emergency water packs (Mylar packaging).

I saw one Memorial Day wekend at our Tac RIfle match that had been turned into a range cart with wheels and a handle and rifle mounts for toting your gear between stages.

Most of my other cans just have ammo

Spoon
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]
toilet
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have ran a few rivers where they were used as toilets. (Lined with plastic of course)
Geocaches
Computer case
Ammo can stove

Zedhead, you have uncovered yet another type of stove for this self admitted stove whore!  I will be making one this weekend!  Looks a lot easier to haul around than the cinder block stove I made a couple of weeks ago.

stasiman
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Radio enclosures
HF rig

Dual band remote crossband repeater

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Custom painted motorcycle saddlebags

Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Crayon box

Small list of things I have seen but I'm sure there are more.

I can just picture R3.0 showing up to school with a .30 cal. can.  Maybe if I painted it a nice bright color...
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lesbian lunch box.

I think they eat a different kind of box for lunch.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#17]
tackle box/pole holder/s
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
battery box.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw 1st aid kit but wanted to add I made one of those about 40 years ago. Painted it white and then added a big red cross to both sides.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a Mk19 can for a center console in one of my Jeeps. Before i re-installed the back seat I had 3 more in the back secured down with my tools/parts etc.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Back when I was in Search and Rescue, I had a Toyota Landcruiser.  I mounted two ammo cans between the seats and mounted all my two-way radios, scanners, CB, etc in them.  They worked great, as I could slid the lids off and back on for security.  I ran all the wires out through the bottom, in grommeted holes.

I also built a winch mount/tube bumper for it and mounted two ammo cans on either side of the frame rails for storing tow chains, clevis hooks, winch cables, gloves and such in.  They could be pad locked and kept everything right where I needed it and dry.  Worked great.

Link Posted: 6/10/2010 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Great thread. Keep the ideas coming!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#24]
You can run searches to find different ways to lock ammo cans and there is also a mod for the cans that have a latch on each end.

If you look down from the top at the ammo can with the lid removed you will see a top lip on each end that is curved.  If you cut one of these lips off you can now use the lid by undoing on latch and leaving the other one latched.  

I have not cut the lip off any of my cans yet but once I find my bolt and washer can I plan to do so.  I will bolt the latch for the end acting as a hinge down so it can't be taken off easily and set the other end up to work with a padlock.

To some extent a search for mods people are doing to pelican cases can be changed over to ideas for ammo cans as well.  Lots of folks are using pelican cases for stuff.
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you have photos of the jeep center console. I have thought about it a few times would like to see how your came out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lesbian lunch box.

I think they eat a different kind of box for lunch.

Link Posted: 6/10/2010 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I have an electronic predator call built in a .50 cal ammo box.
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#28]
using a couple of U-bolts, i bolted a .30 cal can through the lid to the rear rack of my quad, hanging off the back.  store gloves, straps, clevis, etc in it
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
We've put connectors and batterys in them and used them for PDPs and to check lights on mobilizers and vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
toilet

A friend went on a Grand Canyon raft trip. Since so many people go, the river would quickly become an open sewer if they didn't have a carry-out rule. The particular outfitter used ammo cans as commodes. They called them "groovers" because the can edges left a groove in your ass.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
toilet

A friend went on a Grand Canyon raft trip. Since so many people go, the river would quickly become an open sewer if they didn't have a carry-out rule. The particular outfitter used ammo cans as commodes. They called them "groovers" because the can edges left a groove in your ass.

Link Posted: 6/11/2010 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
toilet

That's pretty much my reaction when he told me that story.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
toilet

I was born w/that groove in my ass thank you very much...

prob wouldn't be that hard to use a cheap toilet seat and a little bit of plywood to make it fit the top of the can nice and it'd even hold the bag up and against the edges. Toss in a little bit of kitty litter as well and you'd be GTG. When you're done w/your morning recital, you just pop the seat off, twist the bag and shut the lid til you can properly dispose of it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you have photos of the jeep center console. I have thought about it a few times would like to see how your came out.

Shoot me your email I can snap a few pics but I'm currently PPC (photo posting challenged).
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#35]
ammo can humidor

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/webapp/content/view/87/27/

humidor
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Forgot to add seen one (20mm can) used as a burn box for documents.
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a buddy who's an Observer/Controller in Louisiana.
He made a memory foam seat cushion for the top of his Mk19 ammo can storage box.  The inside is divided with home-made plastic inserts for his Jetboil stove, fuel, radio batteries, AAR kit, cameras, whatever.  

The whole thing fits securely behind the Driver seat of a HMMWV.  During breaks, he just breaks out a lawn chair and makes a cup of coffee, takes his boots off and props them up on the can.

I'd swear I'd seen that guy.

Colonel Lew Millett taught me how to make really big fragmentation grenades out of one, but that's not really a Survival Forum use.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#38]
How about using them for a washing machine???

When I was in Egypt in the late 80's we didn't have much support.  We'd put a set of BDUs, skivvies, a towel and a couple of cravats in a 50 cal can with a couple of gallons of water and some Ivory shaved off a bar.  Lash it to the spare tire and go on patrol.  A couple of hours later we'd dump it, wring the clothes, add more water and repeat.

It did a credible job of removing the grit and funk!  We'd change into the wet clothes and be dry in no time.

A five gallon water can added a hot shower and shave water.

Had to do what we had to do!

Take care,

R
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He made a memory foam seat cushion for the top of his Mk19 ammo can storage box.  The inside is divided with home-made plastic inserts for his Jetboil stove, fuel, radio batteries, AAR kit, cameras, whatever.  

The whole thing fits securely behind the Driver seat of a HMMWV.  During breaks, he just breaks out a lawn chair and makes a cup of coffee, takes his boots off and props them up on the can.

Colonel Lew Millett taught me how to make really big fragmentation grenades out of one, but that's not really a Survival Forum use.

Bull shit it is.  when them squirrels get to marauding you need all the help you can get.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull shit it is.  when them squirrels get to marauding you need all the help you can get.

OK, I'll skip all of COL Millett's narration, but suffice it to say when a Medal of Honor recipient gives you demolitions recipes, you keep them.

Take the can, put a hole in it of ample diameter to get your time fuse through. He recommends approximately one minute's worth as verified by burn testing. Tape fuse and pull igniter to outside of can.

Overlap time fuse onto det cord. Run det cord to cap, cap into standard block of C4. C4 is more available than the old block TNT which he used back in Korea.

Fill ammo can with available materials. Nails, broken glass, scrap metal, and ensure block of C4 is in the middle of the mixture to assure an even blast.

Execute standard battle drill to knock out a bunker, but use this instead of a standard frag grenade.

Advantages are that it's too big to conveniently get knocked into a standard grenade sump, and it has a lot more punch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#42]
think about the look on their face when that comes through the gun port.........

and then after you kick it, it clogs the grenade sump............................

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I use a Mk19 can for a center console in one of my Jeeps. Before i re-installed the back seat I had 3 more in the back secured down with my tools/parts etc.

Pics!! Please
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#44]
yep need a pic of the MK19 center console.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes The jeep console...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'll take a pic of one local and post it up next time I see the Jeep.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I keep a NV can for storage in the jeep
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Pics - center jeep console.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top