Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/19/2020 4:45:26 AM EDT
If anyone in the Treasure Valley would like to start linking up with other like minded individuals, post in here and we can try to link up. As I understand from the fitness plans thread, there are a few of us in the area and it would be good to put names to faces. There are also schedule conflicts that might make meeting difficult but we can post a time and location here and see what shakes out.

If you have zero idea what is being discussed in this thread, please refer to this thread to get up to speed. If you want to chime in with your location and times that work best go ahead and we can see if we can get everyone involved in a way that doesn't mean losing a days worth of sleep or trying to cut out of work early.

If you have any interest in getting your Tech/General/Extra amateur radio license, I can point out some study materials. Cost and time information can be found here.
If anyone wants a baofeng programmed with local repeaters and FRS/GMRS freqs, let me know and I will bring my laptop and cable.

APC now has a Subforum located at the top of the Hometown Page.

Information for 2021 Warfighter Challenge is located Here

Fundraising is now active. If you know anyone looking for a tax deductible leadership and skills program to support I think I know just the one. Don't forget APC is also available to be selected on Amazon Smile.

APC Fundraising thread

In other news, I am looking to get rolling on some hikes again. I am thinking of starting back on flat ground with little to no elevation change, which will likely mean the greenbelt again. However, due to experiencing the rolling hills that were on location in MT, I would also like to get more elevation changes incorporated. I highly recommend anyone wanting to go in May, get some longer hikes in, and include hills.

I will be at the usual location Sunday this coming weekend at 10am. I know its short notice, but hopefully others will want to join. Rain or shine I will be there, and it looks to be a little cold so dress appropriately with layers. As usual, I will be happy to field any radio questions and can bring a laptop and baofeng cable if requested.

If you are unsure of the location, please PM me, contact me on the ID Telegram, or text me as most of you should have my number.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
While I can't join you guys (will be on-duty), I can be there to meet you all and see ya off.  I could possibly do another time, its all dependent on my schedule.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a better time or day that works better feel free to chime in. I figured we had a lot of talk going on across the state in the fitness 2020 thread so I figured we might as well get a thread made for down here.

Ideally if anyone wanted to set up a hike , they can put information here and have it be visible. Hopefully nobody takes me putting together the thread as wanting to be a master coordinator for this, but I thought we might as well get started. I just had a time available and wanted to put feelers out for this Saturday. Even if no one else responds, I'll still be there as it's better than doing it on a treadmill.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged for interest.

My wife and I are moving to the area in a few months. I'll be down for this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be down for future times. This Saturday doesn't work as my gsd puppy goes to socialization class that afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Sundays work for me too, so if after this one we want to switch it up and try one on Sunday that would work with my schedule too. I probably would have chosen Sunday for this one, but it looked like that was going to have a lot of rain and be colder. I figured if we wanted to get one together, it might turn people away if it's just going to be cold and wet on the first one they do.

Like I had mentioned before, if anyone here has a better time/location/day feel free to post it here and we can make things work for future hikes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sundays work for me too, so if after this one we want to switch it up and try one on Sunday that would work with my schedule too. I probably would have chosen Sunday for this one, but it looked like that was going to have a lot of rain and be colder. I figured if we wanted to get one together, it might turn people away if it's just going to be cold and wet on the first one they do.

Like I had mentioned before, if anyone here has a better time/location/day feel free to post it here and we can make things work for future hikes.
View Quote
I think I can make the 11pm time. Ok if I just come without anything? Wanna just get more info about this stuff. I found the thread on it but figured face to face would work better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely. I have zero problem with that. Even if no one else shows up with a pack I will still be wearing mine. Ideally we can use these as an opportunity to link up with others in the area and at the same time get outside and work on fitness too.

I want to work towards doing them in the foothills or somewhere with more elevation change but that can be down the road once we get more people onboard and the trails are in better condition.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I will be parked in the lot closer to the greenbelt path rather than the one that is by the park portion of veterans memorial park. I plan on being there by 1045AM and will have a multicam pack and a grey HPG runners bag. Hope to see others there!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#9]
OST
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I'll make it so see you soon!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Fantastic, see you there!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fantastic, see you there!
View Quote
I'm here. Silver ford expedition.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#13]
@dillydilly @matt58 thank you both for meeting me there this morning. We made a 6.4 mile loop in under 2 hours. We started at veterans memorial park and turned around at the Anne Frank Human Rights memorial. While it was flat solid ground with minimal elevation changes, it was good to get out on this sunny Saturday morning. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@dillydilly @matt58 thank you both for meeting me there this morning. We made a 6.4 mile loop in under 2 hours. We started at veterans memorial park and turned around at the Anne Frank Human Rights memorial. While it was flat solid ground with minimal elevation changes, it was good to get out on this sunny Saturday morning. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369762/Screenshot_20200222-132206_png-1286921.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369762/0222201246_jpg-1286922.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369762/0222201205_HDR_jpg-1286923.JPG
View Quote
Thanks Extrabonez!! Gorgeous day today! Looking forward to next time with more folks. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry I couldn’t make the jaunt this morning fellas but I’m glad I at least got to meet you out there!

Keep me updated on future expeditions!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome... I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#17]
If we can have a start time closer to 9 I could fit this into my current schedule..plus I'm north of Middleton so it's a little drive for me
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Next Saturday an earlier start would actually work better for me because I would still have to work that evening. I alternate each week having work each Saturday, at least on nights. If we want to plan to meet up that works for me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
So 9 next Saturday then. I can do 6 miles easily.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya I think that should work for me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds good to me.
Edit: Does anyone want to make a post in GD for this hike? Something Dillydilly and I had talked about, while the HTF is nice, it might get more traffic in GD and we can still direct people to the HTF too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds good to me.
Edit: Does anyone want to make a post in GD for this hike? Something Dillydilly and I had talked about, while the HTF is nice, it might get more traffic in GD and we can still direct people to the HTF too.
View Quote
I can post it for you if you'd like. Since you know a bit more than I do, dm me what you'd like posted and I can put it up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I won't be in town this weekend, but should be available for the one after that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#24]
@Extrabonez, we meeting at the same location but at 9am this upcoming Saturday?

ETA: Cross-posted this in GD.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm interested in this but I don't have a bunch of gear. I'm old, I'm out of shape, and this coming weekend my wife and I actually have days off together and there are some projects we have plans for.

That's a lot of proviso's

Should I eff off, or try to connect on a once in a while basis?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone is free to join, weight or not and the weight is only required if you want to attempt the rating scale for the Battle Buddies idea. At the minimum it allows you to interact with other people in your area that probably enjoy some of the same things and have same values, etc. IMO the networking aspect seems to be as large of a goal as the physical fitness side. We all have lives, and schedules that may or may not accommodate getting to every hike, but if you can make it that is awesome. The pace seems to be a normal to quick walking pace (I was about a 3.5MPH pace for the 6 miles with a short rest at 3miles and a restroom stop at 5miles on the one dillydilly and I did) but nothing that should be too difficult to do.

No need to feel like you need to immediately throw on a pack with 45lbs and run a marathon with it. Start out with whatever you think your body is going to be comfortable with, and maybe next time try throwing a few extra water bottles in there for weight, and build from there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, cool.

I work nights, and I'm free about every other weekend.

Monitor this thread for time and location or ???

Reason I ask is I can foresee that it could eventually be a bit of a mess using only this one thread for communication. I don't guess it is an immediate issue though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#28]
This one is probably good to start. We have another in GD for more exposure currently, but I think following the VBB way is a good idea. They will put out a thread with location and time in the title and tag people. I don't know how often people here are wanting to do them, but I would say that if you have a time available and want to see if you can get others there, feel free to post it and get feelers out there for availability. If you haven't checked out the "Fitness or rucking plans 2020" in the HTF, some people have posted their schedules there too. I am also working nights, at least until June, which will make evening hikes difficult for now. We have the one coming up this Saturday at 9AM at Veterans Memorial Park and probably following the same path which to 3 miles gets us to the Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial/ entrance to Julia Davis Park.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I posted in the GD thread. My plane lands that night so I won't be able to make it. I'll be home for a week and I will be doing daily hikes/hunts in the M.H area. Specifically straight north of exit 99. I'll be hiking and shooting ground squirrels everyday except Tuesday if anyone wants to come along. I may also be taking the RZR up in the foothills to look for sheds and the passenger seat is usually vacant.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey lungbuster,

I think I could manage to come out one day. Wouldn't mind getting out and learning a new area. Never shit prairie dogs before and only think I have 77 grain tmk and 77 grain nosler otm loaded.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#31]
@CaliContractor

Shoot me a PM and we'll get something set up. It looks like the weather won't be too bad next week. I just put an optic on my .22/45 a couple of months ago, so I'll be shooting it mostly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I posted in the GD thread. My plane lands that night so I won't be able to make it. I'll be home for a week and I will be doing daily hikes/hunts in the M.H area. Specifically straight north of exit 99. I'll be hiking and shooting ground squirrels everyday except Tuesday if anyone wants to come along. I may also be taking the RZR up in the foothills to look for sheds and the passenger seat is usually vacant.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196752/dthjet_jpg-1291075.JPG
View Quote
I wouldn't mind taking a day off to do some whistle pig 'chootin with ya.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wouldn't mind taking a day off to do some whistle pig 'chootin with ya.
View Quote
Sounds good. PM sent
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd like to get in on the pig massacre, if there's space for one more.

Super busy at the moment but maybe could get away.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd like to get in on the pig massacre, if there's space for one more.

Super busy at the moment but maybe could get away.
View Quote
Come home Saturday, you know you want to. I can pick you up on the way.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I’d like to get in the the pig massacre at some point as well. Work is going to get super busy starting next week and some trigger therapy definitely relieved the stress.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#37]
On my way, we starting at  east entrance in garden City or north entrance in Boise? That's what my nav gives
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Going to be veterans memorial park, off of the memorial parkway, just north of the river.

43.6370278, -116.2392500

Google maps coordinates
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I believe I'm here, lots of disc golf dudes. I'm in a white 3/4 2018 dodge
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice morning for a hike, thanks extra. I weighed my pack when I got home, I'm a little overweight on it at 63 pounds.

Looks like our splits were right at 17 minute miles.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#41]
want to say thank you to CaliContractor for meeting me this morning. We had a fairly nice morning with a little bit of cloud cover that kept us fairly cool. We did the same route as before and did approx 6.2 miles in 1:45. My phone died halfway through so no tracker photo.

Once it warms up and we get out of this cold/flu/temperate change time of the year, I hope we can get more people out there, and if you know someone who may be interested but isn't necessarily on arfcom, feel free to bring them out. I will not be available to hike March 7th until the afternoon because of ham radio testing, but if someone wants to put something on, feel free to.

If you don't want to post here with questions, just IM me and I can get you my phone number
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#42]
If anyone would like to join me, I plan on being at Veterans Memorial Park at 9AM Saturday March 14th. It will be another 6 mile walk. The weather looks like it shouldn't dump too much rain that day, but rain or shine I will be there.

It looks like we might be able to start hitting the foothills soon as the temperature comes up and we don't have to worry about muddy conditions or tearing up the trails. These flat ground walks are definitely nice to make sure your pack is set up comfortably and any weight you might be carrying is within your body or equipment's capability.

As before, if anyone has questions feel free to message me for info or directions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll be there on the 14th. You taking this weekend off?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I wont be available in the morning because I have that radio exam at 10 that will probably take until noon at the latest. I am still down to do something this weekend either Saturday or Sunday, but wasnt sure how the later would fit into others' schedules. Plus I wanted to give a little more heads up so possibly people could plan for it better.

If you have a time that works in the afternoon on Saturday or on Sunday, I can meet up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Happy birthday extra, 27 years young today? Or was it Thursday?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank you, its 26 today. Passed both my general and extra amateur radio exams this morning too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thank you, its 26 today. Passed both my general and extra amateur radio exams this morning too.
View Quote
Happy bday EB!
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Happy birthday. Congratulations on your test.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Happy belated birthday.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top