Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2024 6:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn]
Hey guys, have a tiny project here. Looking for someone in the valley that wouldn’t mind welding up this little stake on a 1911 slide. Can pay in cash, beer, etc. not really looking for a “drop it off and it’ll be done in a couple weeks” scenario, but rather, quick and painless and I’ll compensate appropriately.

I know nothing about welding so feel free to tell me that’s a nightmare project, it’s going to cost you thousands of dollars, the lead time is 18 months, etc.

1) it’s carbon steel, not stainless
2) I don’t mind doing the grinding/sanding back down to shape it. I just need it filled in.
3) I will be parkerizing it, so I need to make sure whatever filler is used, it will take park. I understand the color may not be uniform due to different metal makeups though, that’s fine. I’m sure my ignorance is coming out heavily here

Happy to be educated to lessen my ignorance, thanks gents, have a great weekend!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My initial impression is, why?  

That is going to be a lot of work.  Not the initial welding, but the reshaping, refinishing, re-machining the dovetail, etc.  One "little fix" is going to cascade down the line into lots of other issues.

Most likely, the parkerizing is not going to take well to the weld material, and then you are almost back to where you started at (I'm guessing this is a cosmetic issue for you).

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:44:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
My initial impression is, why?  

That is going to be a lot of work.  Not the initial welding, but the reshaping, refinishing, re-machining the dovetail, etc.  One "little fix" is going to cascade down the line into lots of other issues.

Most likely, the parkerizing is not going to take well to the weld material, and then you are almost back to where you started at (I'm guessing this is a cosmetic issue for you).

View Quote

Appreciate the reply! Luckily that’s no one else’s problem but mine. The reshaping and finishing is on me, I don’t care if it takes 1000 hours. I don’t want the whole dovetail filled. Just that little notch.

Don’t care if the park is a diff color, I just don’t want that punch mark. That’s all, nothing more nothing less.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
DM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top