Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2024 5:19:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster]
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they'll send an extraordinary rendition team to Miami and bring Bezos back to pay what they think he owes them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:

spend less duh
View Quote

Phil, there you go being rational - STOP IT!! 😁

If Turd becomes gov, we *will* see a push for a state income tax within his first term.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
"Lawmakers may need to address the decline."

spend less duh
View Quote

That is not an option in WA, we have "newcomers" and homeless to take care of. Roads, police, jails, and other needed infrastructure all will take cuts first.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Homeless industrial complex
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I can’t find the post on city data, but I’d seen one that illustrated how Washington state’s spending had increased something like 43% higher than if it had just kept in line with inflation and population growth during Inslee’s tenure.

The state is fucked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:

That is not an option in WA, we have "newcomers" and homeless to take care of. Roads, police, jails, and other needed infrastructure all will take cuts first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

spend less duh

That’s their plan, roads are crumbling around here, company I work for bid a road rebuild job, won it and are waiting for the money so we can start.  Apparently the money allocated was needed elsewhere so it’s now gone. We are also seeing allot more of shitty patch jobs done by the state instead of proper repair or rebuild
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:43:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#8]
Yep, the typical strategy that the leftist guvment resorts to is to keep their pet social programs buried in the middle of the budget, while putting the basic functions- eg, public safety, decent roads, decent education, and so on- out on the periphery, subject to budget constraints. I’ve witnessed this for decades.

ETA: For example, in King County, they have had special levies or taxes for the telephone 911 Emergency Services system up for a vote in elections, while no telling how many of their pet social programs are being funded from the general budget.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]
WA also changed the policy/law around the lottery years ago, as originally it supported education, iirc. Now they can use lottery revenue to feed into the general public.

VMT tax is coming... but they'll keep the gas tax, too. And vehicle taxes.

Almost all gov'ts have the same problem. Spending. And no accountability.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
1 of 3 Initiatives the Legislature passed.  

This sounds all wonderful and great; however, this means they do not have to wait 2 years to make amendments to an initiative (I think).  

Perhaps this laid the ground work for the Income Tax; just delete the negative words in it and pass it.

https://washingtonstatestandard.com/2024/03/04/washington-legislature-voting-on-three-citizen-initiatives/

Income tax

Initiative 2111 would prohibit Washington state and its local governments from imposing taxes on personal income.

In the Senate, 38 lawmakers voted for the initiative and 11 – all Democrats – voted against it. In the House, it passed 76-21.

“This initiative is designed to do one thing, which is to codify in law the state’s longstanding tradition of not having a tax based on personal income,” Senate Ways and Means Committee Chair June Robinson, D-Everett, said.

The proposal will not change any current laws. Washington does not have an income tax, and there are no serious proposals in the Legislature to impose one.

The Washington Supreme Court has long ruled that a statewide graduated income tax in Washington is unconstitutional. On 10 occasions since 1934, Washington voters have shot down ballot measures that could have allowed the state to adopt personal or corporate income taxes, according to the secretary of state.

Supporters argue that people in Washington have long said they do not want an income tax, and the Legislature should honor that and put it in state law.

“This is an advantage that our state has over our neighbors and over other states,” said Rep. Jim Walsh, R-Aberdeen, who authored all six of the initiatives in play this year.

But opponents of the tax initiative said an income tax could be a tool to help make Washington’s tax code less regressive, where the tax burden is heavier for lower earners.

Rep. Chipalo Street, D-Seattle, said Washington needs to be working to make its tax code more balanced.

“We could do better,” Street said. “We should consider all methods of doing so.”
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 2:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#12]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

That’s their plan, roads are crumbling around here, company I work for bid a road rebuild job, won it and are waiting for the money so we can start.  Apparently the money allocated was needed elsewhere so it’s now gone. We are also seeing allot more of shitty patch jobs done by the state instead of proper repair or rebuild
View Quote

it makes you long for the days of yore where the greatest misallocation of funds was something as comical as spending DOT money on the stupid steel fish sculptures on the Ballard bridge

I just got back from another work trip to Texas where I enjoyed smooth intact roads for the entirety of my stay, and every new road project being built isn't required to include stupid works of art. it's a road, it's a bridge, it doesn't need to honor the first people's cultural symbology or put grant money in some lame politically connected industrial artist's pocket.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
No state sales tax, property tax, or state income tax on the Rez. Plus fireworks an no one gives 2 shits about gun laws or state hunting/fishing regs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 10:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#14]
Originally Posted By mancat:

it makes you long for the days of yore where the greatest misallocation of funds was something as comical as spending DOT money on the stupid steel fish sculptures on the Ballard bridge

I just got back from another work trip to Texas where I enjoyed smooth intact roads for the entirety of my stay, and every new road project being built isn't required to include stupid works of art. it's a road, it's a bridge, it doesn't need to honor the first people's cultural symbology or put grant money in some lame politically connected industrial artist's pocket.
View Quote

All big money government projects have graft. It's just out in the open in WA because the majority of voters applaud it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 161Infantry:
No state sales tax, property tax, or state income tax on the Rez. Plus fireworks an no one gives 2 shits about gun laws or state hunting/fishing regs.
View Quote
Only if you're a Tribal Member

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
Only if you're a Tribal Member

View Quote
I was born in Seattle. Doesn't that make me a native American?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
They will keep trying for an income tax.

You are just selfish to not share your money with the rest of the state.

No matter how ridiculously or irresponsibly the money is spent, they know better than you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

spend less duh

They already announced cuts in education, as if it was ever properly, let alone legally, funded..

"It's for the children!"

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
I was born in Seattle. Doesn't that make me a native American?
View Quote

Nah the only "natives" would be the ones who - ironically - crossed the Bering strait land bridge to get here.

Funny enough I knew a person who was all into "natives rights" who had absolutely no idea that this was how they made it to North America, and just wholly believed that they were somehow always here.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rossi:
They already announced cuts in education, as if it was ever properly, let alone legally, funded..

"It's for the children!"

View Quote

Despite an increasing population, enrollment in the Leftist Indoctrination Government Schools has been dropping, resulting in school closures.  

That won’t stop them from blackmailing taxpayers with strikes in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top