Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2024 7:15:18 AM EDT
"Locally, the Rhode Island Second Amendment Coalition has two cases going on right now. The first is a lawsuit headed to our highest state court, dealing with lawfulness of the magazine ban. The second lawsuit is a federal court challenge to the Rhode Island Attorney General's pistol permitting process. Both have widespread implications for gun owners in Rhode Island."

I had wondered why the RI Mag Ban was never contested in State Court system.  This might be interesting.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The Washington Bridge will be rebuilt before we get a decision on this.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:43:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BriansM4:
The Washington Bridge will be rebuilt before we get a decision on this.  
View Quote
It's likely that other States which are contesting their own AWBs and/or mag Bans have cases much further along in the court system.  It's for sure SCOTUS will need to decide this issue, once and for all.  Even so, some States are likely to re-write their State laws to circumvent any possible ruling by SCOTUS but given all the existing attempts to circumvent past SCOTUS rulings, and SCOTUS being fully aware of such, I believe that SCOTUS may write their future opinion regarding such Bans with extraordinary care to forestall such attempts.  I am hoping that SCOTUS will make a ruling on such cases about June, 2025.

As far as the Mag Ban being contested within RI, the previous ruling by RI State Supreme Court, concerning concealed carry laws may indicate a slightly more pro-2A stance than some would ordinarily expect.  It would NOT surprise me to see the RI case being slow walked through the court system. Time will tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top