Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2024 8:31:20 PM EDT
We would like to come out the end of August or the beginning of September.  At this time there are still passes available for Going to the Sun Road.

We are not hikers.  We'll go for short walks to see something but these walks don't involve "climbing" or the risk of falling to our deaths.  Just trying to set some expectations.

We do a lot of driving.  For some reason, my wife wants to fly out this time instead of spending 3 days driving out.  We've driven to WY and SD multiple times already.

Here are my questions:
1. For the type of sightseeing we do, which again is mostly driving around, how many days would you spend at the park?  I figure one day to drive out and back on Going to the Sun Road.  What other things should we do there?  Would three nights be enough?  Kind of what I am thinking right now.  It gives us 2 full days to do park stuff.

2. Which airport should we fly into?  Missoula?  We would be leaving from Detroit.  I can check rates for different airports just wondering if there would be a preference.

3. Where's a good place to stay?  I think the various hotel like places in the park are all booked.  I was looking at non-chain places.  My wife suggested the Hampton Inn in Whitefish.  I really don't care.  Any cool places that aren't crazy expensive?

That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Closest airport is FCA (Kalispell). I would do a day or two “in” the park while definitely hitting Logan Pass. Many Glacier is a smaller area but also pretty cool with easy hikes.

Outside the park the Hungry Horse Dam is a great sight to see and Jewel Basin can be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
Closest airport is FCA (Kalispell). I would do a day or two “in” the park while definitely hitting Logan Pass. Many Glacier is a smaller area but also pretty cool with easy hikes.

Outside the park the Hungry Horse Dam is a great sight to see and Jewel Basin can be pretty cool.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The east side of the park has some excellent views (my preferred side), and some nice drives that can be done…Two Medicine Lake, Swiftcurrent, St. Marys.  There was a good steak house in Babb up to a few years ago…can’t swear to it now.

The north fork is a nice drive as well; Bowman and kintla lake are easy to access, and the town of Polebridge is cool.  There is a little bar/ grill and the mercantile has good baked goods and sandwiches.

I don’t know too much about the lodging.  If you stay in Columbia Falls, the cedar creek lodge seems nice and is pretty new: close to downtown for walking to food etc.  might be a bit cheaper than whitefish.  WF is where the rich folk live; cfalls used to be more of a blue collar mill town…it’s getting gentrified, but is still better than WF in my opinion.

If you need fuel on the east side, get it in East Glacier…Browning is pretty third world.

FCA is likely your best bet for airport.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Whenever family comes to visit I like to take them up Going to the Sun Road after 5-6 pm so we can catch the sunset from the top of the pass. Very pretty and not super crowded, also the animals are really active then.
Untitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Might be too late but quite honestly I say skip it and head to the bitterroot. I was pretty underwhelmed with Glacier and kalispel was crap as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sefus:
Might be too late but quite honestly I say skip it and head to the bitterroot. I was pretty underwhelmed with Glacier and kalispel was crap as well.
View Quote

Not too late.

If we go before Sept 8, which has been the plan, we can only get a pass for Going to the Sun Road.

Starting to think we just drive through and head somewhere else in MT.

Maybe make a loop of some sort based on what there is to see.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
East side is the prettiest.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
East side is the prettiest.
View Quote

Good to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top