Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2020 11:12:32 PM EDT
Anybody read about folks getting together for exercise & networking such as the Virginia battle buddies? Anybody see the thread about spreading the concept? Anybody interested in such a thing in Wisconsin? Plenty of places for a nice hike in the south central area. Reading the Virginia battle lines thread shows the value in offline networks. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Nobody?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in the madison area.  I ended up selling a few things off when the wedding bells rang to pay bills, but as I am starting a new job next month, I will be back on the AR horse and open to doing some training.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The first and second rules of fight club always apply.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first and second rules of fight club always apply.
View Quote
I thought you got banned @Nam?

I think it's a good idea, but dont want to be tagged in some militia group. This type of stuff is better done with no trail in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought you got banned @Nam?
View Quote
I flashed my diplomatic immunity credentials, and was allowed to return. (sarcasm heavily intended)

I was unbanned years ago (It was only banned for a few months).  It was a refreshing break from this place. Now I mainly hang out in the ham radio forums, but check in to HTF every now and then. Suffice it to say, it's certainly not the same site I joined many moons ago.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]
"Regulators... mount up."
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Suffice it to say, it's certainly not the same site I joined many moons ago.
View Quote
Amen...
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anybody read about folks getting together for exercise & networking such as the Virginia battle buddies? Anybody see the thread about spreading the concept? Anybody interested in such a thing in Wisconsin? Plenty of places for a nice hike in the south central area. Reading the Virginia battle lines thread shows the value in offline networks. Thoughts?
View Quote
I like it. easy name conversion here too. Badger Buddies could work.

I'm in Walworth Co. I could probably make it to most locations in South Central WI with enough of a notice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm south of Madison, would be interested.   I feel like in in Liberal County around these parts...
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I will be running events around the state for the next five months. All are free and open to likeminded folks, though.

We have a Supreme Court race coming up. If you would like to help me protect our rights and the rule of (constitutional) law, please hit me up.

As for right now, if you wanted to participate I am planning on Sunday afternoons meeting at a local range to do some work. I have a large space set aside by the owners and plan on cover range time for anyone who comes out and contributes.

It would be a great place for networking.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Where?
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I would be interested

Winnebago County
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I would be as well.  Havent been able to shoot much lately, and it gets boring shooting on an indoor range. . . . .
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it against the law to walk the snowmobile trails?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I've reached out to a few WI arfcommers via the IM system with no response

If anyone in or near dodge county wants to get together, I'm interested in becoming friends with like minded individuals
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am in the madison area.  I ended up selling a few things off when the wedding bells rang to pay bills, but as I am starting a new job next month, I will be back on the AR horse and open to doing some training.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

it's certainly not the same site I joined many moons ago.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it. easy name conversion here too. Badger Buddies could work.

I'm in Walworth Co. I could probably make it to most locations in South Central WI with enough of a notice.
I like it
I was PM'ing Leih-tzu about this very thing. The time to organize is now, before we reach the point Virginia was in. Shawano/Brown County (on the county line) checking in
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I could use the exercise

Waukesha Co
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I think it's a good idea.
I would not consider it a III%er path though.

South of madison also.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it's a good idea.
I would not consider it a III%er path though.

South of madison also.
View Quote
Are there any good places to meet? I think the Badger trail could be good, but it can be a ways between exits, and not sure how a group of guys in gear (even without weapons) would be able to be left alone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#25]
South of Madison and networking with like minded individuals in this AO makes a lot of sense.

I’m in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd be interested. Dane County.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess we need to figure out a place, then a time.

It doesn't have to be full ruck and rifles, at least not at first like the battle buddies challenge in GD. Maybe start out with like a 10 mile hike somewhere?
Most people park at the end, then get shuttled to the start of the hike, and the then the shuttle drivers get driven back. Unless there's a circular route somewhere.
Might have to be at a state park that we can integrate several trails, or the ice age trail.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll also add - if anybody has land, I have a bunch of steel plates and racks for targets, almost all rifle rated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll also add - if anybody has land, I have a bunch of steel plates and racks for targets, almost all rifle rated.
View Quote
I have a few plates, only one stand

Ice age trail could work.

In terms of hike, I think New Glarus to Monroe is about 15 miles.  Not sure from NG to Paoli or Belville.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#30]
South of Madison, the badfish creek wildlife area is pretty big, lots of trails. Brooklyn wildlife area is big too. Probably fewer hipsters than parks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
South of Madison, the badfish creek wildlife area is pretty big, lots of trails. Brooklyn wildlife area is big too. Probably fewer hipsters than parks.
View Quote
Not a bad idea. I haven't been to those in years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#32]
In for something similar in the Fox Valley area
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Devil's Lake state park would be a good location for most, especially if you're on the south end of the state. It's a bit of a drive for me, but with enough notice I'd be in
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I would be another one who might be interested, depending on when/where. I do have two backpacks set up with Titan ruck plates, if someone would need to borrow one.

https://www.goruck.com/how-to-ruck/ = start light
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Definitely interested in this. Up in Door County but like to drive.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Kettle Moraine North works.
It's located so it's not a bad drive from any direction, lots of parking for shuttles and enough different points of designated trailheads to tailor the length of hike.....or do different sections each time.
It's also got a "big woods" feel to it and won't draw much attention due to people hiking in groups regularly on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's a link to the map. Note the many parking places to either do an "out and back" hike or do a group thing with cars shuttled.
You can do from anywhere from 2 to 31 miles. My wife will sometimes drop me off in Kewauskum on a Friday afternoon and pick me up in Greenbush on Sunday.
Kettle Moraine North Map

And....even better...here is the distance chart pertaining to the shelters, trailheads and parking areas along the Ice Age Trail.
Mileage chart

This is close enough to the Fox Valley and Southern Door County, Fond Du Lac, Green Lake and Ripon areas and all of the area around Milwaukee and west to Baraboo for a great day outing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Kettle Moraine North works.
It's located so it's not a bad drive from any direction, lots of parking for shuttles and enough different points of designated trailheads to tailor the length of hike.....or do different sections each time.
It's also got a "big woods" feel to it and won't draw much attention due to people hiking in groups regularly on it.
View Quote
It would work for me. I've walked a fare amount of it in the past
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah Kettle Moraine North works for me. Seems like it's within 90 minutes of most people here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I live in Oak Creek - very interested in this.  I have 13 acres in Walworth County for shooting/hunting and I am member of the largest private range in  Caledonia.  I know a lot of ex-vets thru VFW and members of my club. Hope to meet other members for shooting and training.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd be in for Kettle Moraine North, not too far from me. Otherwise for a more scenic hike, may I suggest High Cliff State Park...
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Alright, sorry about starting the thread then disappearing.

So there are folks interested, let's do it. Pick a Saturday in the near future. I can't do weekdays due to work/commute, and Sundays are family time for me. As for where, I propose Devil's Lake State Park. Not bad distance-wise from Dodge County or Dane areas (depending on exact location). Link to PDF park map. There are some trails that are fairly easy, so a piker like me could manage it , and still meet the Battle Buddies distance requirement.

I checked, and there are no specific park rules on firearms; standard regulations on carry in public places apply. However, this is a very popular park. Even in winter, there are plenty of people out for walks on weekends. I imagine an open-carry hike will not only raise eyebrows, get park rangers called out, so anyone who does this should be prepared. This is part of the state park system, so you need a pass. The annual pass pays for itself in three visits.

So whaddya say? I am not available next Saturday, but otherwise most of my Saturdays are available. Suggested dates?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Logged a 4 mile jaunt today to get ready for this nonsense
No pack or extra weight and the puppers pulling me I got it done in an hour and 6 minutes for a 3.64 mph pace. No way would I have kept that pace with a 45lb pack, probably would have died, lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm in but I'm out of shape.  2 babys and 4 years out of shape.  I guess I better get walking!   Checking in from NEW
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Alright, sorry about starting the thread then disappearing.

So there are folks interested, let's do it. Pick a Saturday in the near future. I can't do weekdays due to work/commute, and Sundays are family time for me. As for where, I propose Devil's Lake State Park. Not bad distance-wise from Dodge County or Dane areas (depending on exact location). Link to PDF park map. There are some trails that are fairly easy, so a piker like me could manage it , and still meet the Battle Buddies distance requirement.

I checked, and there are no specific park rules on firearms; standard regulations on carry in public places apply. However, this is a very popular park. Even in winter, there are plenty of people out for walks on weekends. I imagine an open-carry hike will not only raise eyebrows, get park rangers called out, so anyone who does this should be prepared. This is part of the state park system, so you need a pass. The annual pass pays for itself in three visits.

So whaddya say? I am not available next Saturday, but otherwise most of my Saturdays are available. Suggested dates?
View Quote
Nope. Nobody?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top