Page / 3
Posted: 11/4/2020 9:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but is there a lite version? Or any plans to have tiers or anything?

I get its about overcoming obstacles, working hard, physical fitness and stuff and i agree, but some people (myself included) physically can't do some of this stuff, but other stuff we can do and would like to enjoy this for what is, but also participate.

If not, thats cool, i'm not here to change what you started or anything, but this sounds right up my alley of what i've been looking for, just physically i know its too much. Honestly it sounds like cola warrior without the cola and thats EXACTLY what i'm looking for.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dread_scott:
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but is there a lite version? Or any plans to have tiers or anything?

I get its about overcoming obstacles, working hard, physical fitness and stuff and i agree, but some people (myself included) physically can't do some of this stuff, but other stuff we can do and would like to enjoy this for what is, but also participate.

If not, thats cool, i'm not here to change what you started or anything, but this sounds right up my alley of what i've been looking for, just physically i know its too much. Honestly it sounds like cola warrior without the cola and thats EXACTLY what i'm looking for.
View Quote

You have ample time to get in shape.

Start today.
Put on a ruck and walk around the block. I challenge you to complete that task before the morrow.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By patchouli:

You have ample time to get in shape.

Start today.
Put on a ruck and walk around the block. I challenge you to complete that task before the morrow.

View Quote

I appreciate the encouragement and may do it if my knees stop feeling like they are on fire.

Its not just lack of physical fitness, but actual physical handicaps. While some people in my situation do better than me, 2 back surgeries with a spinal fusion, sucks. Plus being overweight is hell on the knees and ankles. Obviously losing weight is a hurdle that can be overcome (even though my fatass hasnt figured out how!), but chronic back pain from pinched nerves and surgeries, not so easy.

When the azbb was trying to happen, i went on a couple of rucks. Nothing like the weight and distances you guys want though. About a month ago before my hunt, i did a 3 mile with somewhere around 20-25 pounds on my back. Like i said, i can do something, but 12 miles i can tell you would end with me in the hospital with a torn something, guaranteed!
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Usernames] [#5]

I appreciate the encouragement and may do it if my knees stop feeling like they are on fire.

Its not just lack of physical fitness, but actual physical handicaps. While some people in my situation do better than me, 2 back surgeries with a spinal fusion, sucks. Plus being overweight is hell on the knees and ankles. Obviously losing weight is a hurdle that can be overcome (even though my fatass hasnt figured out how!), but chronic back pain from pinched nerves and surgeries, not so easy.

When the azbb was trying to happen, i went on a couple of rucks. Nothing like the weight and distances you guys want though. About a month ago before my hunt, i did a 3 mile with somewhere around 20-25 pounds on my back. Like i said, i can do something, but 12 miles i can tell you would end with me in the hospital with a torn something, guaranteed!
View Quote

Ok yeah well medical reasons do exist that would be a hindrance or disqualifier. I didnt think of that in regards to someone wanting to do the event, but just a light version of it.

That said. . Lose the weight. Keto is magic.(if you tell your brain to do it. ) Deadlift (properly) (look up starting strength) for your back. And start walking more. (Good you're already capable of a quarter of the distance with weight on your shoulders.).

The challenge still exists. No minimum weight requirement in the ruck for tonight's walk around the block. This will let you know if you have the mental fortitude.

Let's do  it!

(edit: I am not trying to say this as:

-a doctor or give medical advice (I am not medically qualified)
-a representative of American Pioneer Corps (I'm not an officer or representative. I'm just a participant)
-some billy badass (I'm not)

I was fat and sedentary just over 2 years ago.  keto shed 50 lbs and then did weights. then slow jogging.  then cola warrior NW. then rucking/apc.
I just want to see our community get stronger/fitter/more resilient.)
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]

About a month ago before my hunt, i did a 3 mile with somewhere around 20-25 pounds on my back.
View Quote

Then do that. Then do it again. Then up the weight and/or distance. Then do that again...etc., etc. Nothing motivates like a goal, make yours Warfighter 2021 and come surprise yourself.

Worst case is you find yourself in much better shape next spring.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Ok yeah well medical reasons do exist that would be a hindrance or disqualifier. I didnt think of that in regards to someone wanting to do the event, but just a light version of it.

That said. . Lose the weight. Keto is magic.(if you tell your brain to do it. ) Deadlift (properly) (look up starting strength) for your back. And start walking more. (Good you're already capable of a quarter of the distance with weight on your shoulders.).

The challenge still exists. No minimum weight requirement in the ruck for tonight's walk around the block. This will let you know if you have the mental fortitude.

Let's do  it!

-a representative of American Pioneer Corps (I'm not an officer or representative. I'm just a participant)

I was fat and sedentary just over 2 years ago.  keto shed 50 lbs and then did weights. then slow jogging.  then cola warrior NW. then rucking/apc.
View Quote

Unfortunately, keto doesnt work for me. Ive tried twice, once with intermittent fasting, once without. Didnt lose any weight and felt like garbage for a couple months, definitely past the keto flu timeline. Very foggy in the brain and lethargic. Ive tried many things, including going to a dietician, havent had much luck, i know theres something i gotta do, just havent found it yet.

Ive been doing 2 gun competitions intermitenly the last couple years, hoping training for those would help, its only been minimal help. The heat in az doesnt help either as i get heat exhaustion/dehydration quickly and this place is brutal! Im tired of almost dying everytime i leave the house, so hoping to try and make a move to cooler weather soon, which would also put me closer to montana to maybe make it out!

Im hoping to making a change to not be a bitch, sooner rather than later would be nice as well.

Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

Then do that. Then do it again. Then up the weight and/or distance. Then do that again...etc., etc. Nothing motivates like a goal, make yours Warfighter 2021 and come surprise yourself.

Worst case is you find yourself in much better shape next spring.
View Quote

I will work on that, thanks for the motivation.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Also wanted to look around the website to see what info was available, etc. When i go to the site, it says its private and i have to log in, is that how its supposed to be?
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Also wanted to look around the website to see what info was available, etc. When i go to the site, it says its private and i have to log in, is that how its supposed to be?
View Quote

It's under construction at the moment, should be done in a day or so
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jenzilla:

It's under construction at the moment, should be done in a day or so
View Quote

Thanks. I'll wait (not very) patiently for it to be up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Ben,

I missed this last one, but I'll make the next one with the rest of the WA crew.  I'd prefer to facilitate and mentor, rather than run and gun.  But I'll get in however I can fit it.

Every other weekend for me is a four-day weekend.  I could easily get out there pre-event and do some advance party stuff.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Let's do  it!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Let's do  it!

Quoting just to say @patchouli showed up in damn good shape.  If he really was a fatso beforehand, I couldn't tell.  He got after it on pretty much all the events.  He'd be a good one to take advice from on that journey.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SWedd523:

Quoting just to say @patchouli showed up in damn good shape.  If he really was a fatso beforehand, I couldn't tell.  He got after it on pretty much all the events.  He'd be a good one to take advice from on that journey.
View Quote

+1 to that, I'd suggest taking any physical prep advice he gives. He got behind on the ruck hanging back with his squad mate, but once he turned it he caught and passed me like it was nothing. Solid.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Having a realistic goal on a set timeline can be a good tool for making progress with your fitness.  Warfighter 2021 is a good candidate for this kind of goal.  “I’ll get fit enough to compete in WFC”.  It takes a nebulous “I need to get in shape” into something concrete and quantifiable.  

There’s about 6 months until Warfighter.  A LOT of progress can be made in 6 months.  
I’m gonna spend the next 6 months stepping up my game.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dread_scott] [#15]
Originally Posted By TheRadBaron:
Having a realistic goal on a set timeline can be a good tool for making progress with your fitness.  Warfighter 2021 is a good candidate for this kind of goal.  “I’ll get fit enough to compete in WFC”.  It takes a nebulous “I need to get in shape” into something concrete and quantifiable.  

There’s about 6 months until Warfighter.  A LOT of progress can be made in 6 months.  
I’m gonna spend the next 6 months stepping up my game.
View Quote

That sounds like a good plan that i shall try. I say that though as i recover from tweaking my back and have spent the last 3 days laid up in pain eating muscle relaxers! but it happens every so often, so i'll just try to push through.

From the AAR's, awd or 4x4 and clearance was needed in october, what about may/june time? Will a tactical prius make it? Ive taken my prius offroad for cola warrior and other events, but obviously dont want to damage anything, so just checking on if its doable or would DEF need another vehicle?

ETA. Also, there was some mention of team things before the event, but after it seemed like all single events. Is it team, single, both?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jenzilla] [#16]

That sounds like a good plan that i shall try. I say that though as i recover from tweaking my back and have spent the last 3 days laid up in pain eating muscle relaxers! but it happens every so often, so i'll just try to push through.

From the AAR's, awd or 4x4 and clearance was needed in october, what about may/june time? Will a tactical prius make it? Ive taken my prius offroad for cola warrior and other events, but obviously dont want to damage anything, so just checking on if its doable or would DEF need another vehicle?

ETA. Also, there was some mention of team things before the event, but after it seemed like all single events. Is it team, single, both?
View Quote

You'll want a 4x4, there's an even chance at the end of May that it'll be snowing, perfect (still muddy), or 9-million degrees with high fire danger. In all 3 of those cases you'll want more clearance than a car offers. For reference: a construction company from 2 hours away was unable to deliver the portajohns to us due to the road conditions...

Warfighter Challenge is not a beginners competition and is supposed to test your teamwork as well. We cancelled one event due to key staff having to cancel their trips in October (ETA: and my being late for the set-up due to family-emergency shenanigans), that would have been the emphasis for the teams, however there were still point advantages in the ruck for staying with your team. @Ben can explain more if he wants, but is travelling and busy for the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Usernames] [#17]

+1 to that, I'd suggest taking any physical prep advice he gives. He got behind on the ruck hanging back with his squad mate, but once he turned it he caught and passed me like it was nothing. Solid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SWedd523:

Thanks guys. You guys smoked it too!

One thing I'll add is that planning and actively sticking to good rest,recovery,  hydration,  sleep is pretty damn near just as important as the actual workouts. (At least it is for me as I get older).

-Active warm up before exercise routine
-workout
-stretch/foam roll/massage/percussion massage gun
-good diet/vitamins/hydration
-sleep
-cbd balms and/or drops/pills (not sure if legit or placebo effect but seemed to help me recover when beat up)
-rest days when needed

Old sucks. When I was younger I didnt do any of that shit.

Pic of Putting in some wet miles this spring. Started jogging with maffetone method. Very safe and injury reducing. Low heart rate monitoring with garmin. Have to go slow but build good aerobic. Lots of vids on it.
In  June 2018 I tried to run a mile and thought my heart was going to explode.
\/
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:40:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Usernames] [#18]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TNC:

ETA: I'd consider a staph position if I'm guaranteed a heated steering wheel in the porta-john truck.
View Quote

I don't think Ed is giving up his transport position without a fight. Might have to schedule some sort of geriatric throwdown pre-event to settle this
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elcope] [#25]

I don't think Ed is giving up his transport position without a fight. Might have to schedule some sort of geriatric throwdown pre-event to settle this
View Quote

ETA: I no shit just had my 3/4 ton rebuilt, (it was supposed to be done in time for WFC, but it's 2020) and I seriously looked for aftermarket heated steering wheels.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Flathead-auto-body-shops-/59-649814/
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Pepper spray on hands. Old time hack.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By elcope:

http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/54471-6/old_men_fighting.gif

ETA: I no shit just had my 3/4 ton rebuilt, (it was supposed to be done in time for WFC, but it's 2020) and I seriously looked for aftermarket heated steering wheels.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Flathead-auto-body-shops-/59-649814/
View Quote

LOL. My last truck (just put it up for sale) was a 2001 3500 Silverado. I was always the “who needs all that crap” guy until my wife bought a Cadillac a few years  ago. You get used to the little things way too quick.

Truck looks great. Can’t wait to borrow it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Lighter fluid on steering wheel, ignite, reapply as necessary. Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm the rest of his life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Training methods have advanced dramatically since I was a whippersnapper. We just did the same thing every single day until something broke, then limped around getting weaker. Here's one Patchouli turned me on to. I'd joined a crossfit gym about a year ago and the results have been very good. I've rehabbed a shoulder injury that plagued me for years, and I have a herniated disk that I can keep under control

http://specialforcesrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/THOR3-14-Week-Program.pdf

Like my old karate instructor said: "Every day you don't train, your opponent does. And when you meet him he will beat you"
View Quote

THANK YOU.

Doing a separate program but this one looks MUCH better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I got that one from @stoner
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#33]
DangerNarf is 100% in and registered.  Husband & wife team FTW.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Can't find the old thread that had the gear list for 2020 anymore.

Anyone got a link or updated gear list for 2021?

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx] [#36]
I had last year's list saved on my computer. No idea if 2021 will be different but this is probably a good start regardless. Keep in mind that while it's not covered in this list, you will be on your own as far as food, shelter and water as well.

-Rifle (5.45 or larger caliber strongly recommended)  

-5x rifle magazines w/recommended minimum 20rnd capacity

-150 rounds rifle ammunition.

-Pistol or revolver

-sufficient pistol magazines/speed loaders to fire 40 rounds without refilling

-100 rounds pistol ammunition

-assault pack/rucksack capable of carrying up to 45lbs.

-ear pro/eye pro

-method of carrying at least 2 liters of water

-seperate method of carrying at least 1 additional liter of water.

-two extra pair boot socks

-flashlight with red lense

-compass

-IFAK

tarp (camoflauge or subdued earth tone color recommended)

-gloves

-map of AO in 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 scale  

-map pens

Shit, just noticed the helmet isn't on the list as it should be. So, yeah, add a helmet to that and also assume I may have edited other crap and forgotten about it. Sorry about that, still probably a decent place to start.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I had last year's list saved on my computer. No idea if 2021 will be different but this is probably a good start regardless. Keep in mind that while it's not covered in this list, you will be on your own as far as food, shelter and water as well.

-Rifle (5.45 or larger caliber strongly recommended)  

-5x rifle magazines w/recommended minimum 20rnd capacity

-150 rounds rifle ammunition.

-Pistol or revolver

-sufficient pistol magazines/speed loaders to fire 40 rounds without refilling

-100 rounds pistol ammunition

-assault pack/rucksack capable of carrying up to 45lbs.

-ear pro/eye pro

-method of carrying at least 2 liters of water

-seperate method of carrying at least 1 additional liter of water.

-two extra pair boot socks

-flashlight with red lense

-compass

-IFAK

tarp (camoflauge or subdued earth tone color recommended)

-gloves

-map of AO in 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 scale  

-map pens

Shit, just noticed the helmet isn't on the list as it should be. So, yeah, add a helmet to that and also assume I may have edited other crap and forgotten about it. Sorry about that, still probably a decent place to start.
View Quote

I'm glad you posted that. I was just looking for a gear list to pass on to my teammate.

@ben

Any official gear list yet?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#39]
Originally Posted By Ben:
Soon. But expect it to closely mimic last year, with few changes.
View Quote

Based on last years feedback I may just bring a 6.5 creed AR10.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Based on last years feedback I may just bring a 6.5 creed AR10.
View Quote

Having been there, my main takeaway from last year would be "assume nothing".

Only thing you'll know for sure is you're gonna have to carry that thing on the ruck.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#42]
Hit 3rd class this weekend and finally signed up!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Less than 8 weeks out! Starting to put together travel plans, shakedown gear, confirm ammo supplies, and start some event-specific training beyond the normal week-to-week stuff.

@Ben do you have any more info to share regarding the course of fire for the O-course (min/max target distance) or the types of events/challenges if different from October?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Hopefully the guy running it will send out his log requests, too....

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#46]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
View Quote
If the guy RSOing the second shooting portion makes your pants tight, don't worry, that's natural.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#48]
OST
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 11:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bizzarolibe] [#49]
So, Cola Warrior without the cola?

STOP APPROPRIATING MY COL...ER, CULTURE!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top