Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2024 7:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin]
I finally got around to installing my Sig Romeo 1 Pro on my Sig M18. Of course, when I do, it makes my current ALS holster useless since it won't accommodate the Romeo optic. Hence, I had bought a Safariland 7378RDS-7TS ALS locking holster. Got the optic installed, went well, followed the Sig Guy's very helpful video.

However, when I try to remove the firearm (unloaded of course) there is considerable resistance to getting the ALS locking mechanism to unlock and therefore release the firearm.

Looking closer, I found that the ALS locking lever has an interference fit with the M18's left side safety lever. To get the ALS locking lever to fully retract and release the firearm, it has to also overcome the firearm's safety lever as well - turning the firearms Safety OFF! See pics below.

The first picture shows the ALS locking lever at rest and the Safety On. The interference between the two hopefully is obvious.

The 2nd picture shows the ALS locking lever almost fully engaged, the interference with the safety clearly shown and now the Safety is Off! According to Safariland's own "Holster Finder" this holster is a direct fit for the Sig M18. I'm pretty sure that holsters aren't supposed to engage a firearm safety mechanism much less turn the safety off in order to remove the firearm from the holster!

In order to finally remove the firearm from the holster, I then have to press the ALS locking lever hard enough to "ride over" the now OFF firearm's safety lever before I can remove it.

I've e-mailed Safariland about this problem, but since it's Friday PM, I don't expect a response before Monday. The Owner's Manual that came with the holster repeatedly warns against modifying the holster in any way and it doesn't mention the problem - much less a fix for it - so I don't see any way for me to fix these issues. I don't have this interference/turn safety off problem with my current EDC 7378 7TS  ALS basic concealment holster, also from Safariland. I'm pretty ****** because now, in order to use my M18, I have to take the Romeo optic off until I can get a holster that works with it.

Anyone else have this problem with Safariland's holsters and the M18?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
So is that a feature or a defect? Might save you some time on the draw.  

I have read of similar issues on reddit, which is one of the reasons I went with the old school 6xxx series. Safariland is pretty responsive, I'm sure they'll get you taken care of.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You didn’t buy the correct holster. Just because it is for a P320 it doesn’t mean it will work with the M17 and M18 and the safety. Safariland makes specific holsters for the M17 and M18 which take into account the safety levers. As you can see the model you listed isn’t listed in this group. I made the selection based on the Acro sized optic since it will work with your Romeo 1 pro with plenty of room and the TLR7 since that is the weapon light for the model you posted. So I assume that is the light you are using.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By f402mech:

I have read of similar issues on reddit, which is one of the reasons I went with the old school 6xxx series. Safariland is pretty responsive, I'm sure they'll get you taken care of.
View Quote

A lot of the issues I read and hear about can be tied back to not purchasing the correct holster. Safariland use to be difficult to find the correct holster for and their website wasn’t configured well so you needed a decoder ring and know a secret handshake to get the right holster. Safariland has since addressed this and their holster finder is excellent.

The 6000s are great holsters but I really like the 7000 since owning a few of them. They are lighter and built a little better since they are not a folded piece of kydex like 6000s. The only thing I don’t like is that I haven’t been able to get covered version from Safariland, I’ve had to roll my own for that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MK318:

A lot of the issues I read and hear about can be tied back to not purchasing the correct holster. Safariland use to be difficult to find the correct holster for and their website wasn’t configured well so you needed a decoder ring and know a secret handshake to get the right holster. Safariland has since addressed this and their holster finder is excellent.

The 6000s are great holsters but I really like the 7000 since owning a few of them. They are lighter and built a little better since they are not a folded piece of kydex like 6000s. The only thing I don’t like is that I haven’t been able to get covered version from Safariland, I’ve had to roll my own for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By f402mech:

Good to know, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#5]
You didn't buy the correct holster. Just because it is for a P320 it doesn't mean it will work with the M17 and M18 and the safety. Safariland makes specific holsters for the M17 and M18 which take into account the safety levers. As you can see the model you listed isn't listed in this group. I made the selection based on the Acro sized optic since it will work with your Romeo 1 pro with plenty of room and the TLR7 since that is the weapon light for the model you posted. So I assume that is the light you are using.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4093_png-3139523.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4094_png-3139524.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4095_png-3139525.JPG
View Quote
RIF.  I used the Safariland Holster Finder for the M18, not the 320.  Let's see if your eyesight is any better than your reading ability:

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:57:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#6]
And here are the results direct from Safariland:   https://safariland.com/pages/holster-finder#/results

Note the last item, which is what I ordered.

Last item parts numbers, compare to picture above:

MODEL7378RDS
SKU1328024
PART7378RDS-75227-551

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Do the numbers imprinted on the holster match what you ordered?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HomeAtLast:
View Quote
Excellent timing:  I just checked:

It's missing the "-551" from the part number vs. what's on the package and Holster Finder page; I don't know if that is significant or not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

https://i.imgur.com/nZn9w5l.jpeg

It's missing the "-551" from the part number vs. what's on the package and Holster Finder page; I don't know if that is significant or not.
View All Quotes

Customer service will resolve the issue for you
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]
No mention of the WML being used in the OP.

OP, are you using a TLR-7A? If so, was the light mounted when you were experiencing the issue? SL's can do weird tilty things if you don't have the correct light mounted.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:40:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#11]
Originally Posted By Advance:
No mention of the WML being used in the OP.

OP, are you using a TLR-7A? If so, was the light mounted when you were experiencing the issue? SL's can do weird tilty things if you don't have the correct light mounted.
View Quote
No light.  The gun goes in only one way and one way out, optic or not.

ETA:  and speaking of the light, I'm thinking of not mounting it all.  I'll see once the safety issue is resolved.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

This Safariland holster is like the 6th or 7th Safariland holster I have, all paddle holsters and all except one (S&W 329PD revolver) come with the ALS locking system..  I've never had one problem with any of them, with the exception of Copquest sending me a M18 paddle holster without the paddle.  A problem they fixed with a quickness once it was brought to their attention.

It will be interesting to see what Safariland has to say Monday or Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]

ETA:  and speaking of the light, I'm thinking of not mounting it all.  I'll see once the safety issue is resolved.
View Quote

My experience is that when using a SLS/ALS designed for a light, and not using said light, will cause issues with holstering/unholstering as it allows the pistol to tilt in ways that interfere with the internal locking mechanism.

Not saying this is definitively causing your specific issue, just that it is something to be aware of.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
It's not, those missing 3 numbers are the color/finish code.  I determines the color, cordura wrap pattern, or finish like STX or basket weave, etc.  Has no bearing on the functional properties of the holster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:26:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#15]
RIF.  I used the Safariland Holster Finder for the M18, not the 320.  Let's see if your eyesight is any better than your reading ability:

https://i.imgur.com/6NZn1kq.jpeg
View All Quotes
You didn't buy the correct holster. Just because it is for a P320 it doesn't mean it will work with the M17 and M18 and the safety. Safariland makes specific holsters for the M17 and M18 which take into account the safety levers. As you can see the model you listed isn't listed in this group. I made the selection based on the Acro sized optic since it will work with your Romeo 1 pro with plenty of room and the TLR7 since that is the weapon light for the model you posted. So I assume that is the light you are using.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4093_png-3139523.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4094_png-3139524.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_4095_png-3139525.JPG

Edit*
Never mind, not worth my time. Good luck bud.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]

My experience is that when using a SLS/ALS designed for a light, and not using said light, will cause issues with holstering/unholstering as it allows the pistol to tilt in ways that interfere with the internal locking mechanism.

Not saying this is definitively causing your specific issue, just that it is something to be aware of.
View All Quotes

That's good actually, because this holster does have that issue: reholstering the gun - without the light - is like having to solve a puzzle; if it's not perfect, it won't go in. But one step at a time; once this safety interference issue is fixed, I'll install the light and go from there.  I definitely want this to work 'cause at almost 69, my close in vision is shit - red dot is like a breath of fresh air.    vs.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#17]

Edit*
View All Quotes

Edit*
I responded to your issue - just as snottily as you did BTW - so buck up; let's hear it.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
It's not, those missing 3 numbers are the color/finish code.  I determines the color, cordura wrap pattern, or finish like STX or basket weave, etc.  Has no bearing on the functional properties of the holster.
View All Quotes

Good, one less problem to worry about.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t think you have the right holster, bud. I’ve got. 7K series and a 6354 RDSO and use it nearly daily without issue… especially the ones you’re seeing.

I’d call their CS and see what they can do to help, they definitely have holsters that fit the M18 but I’m not sure what’s up with yours.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ruin:
I don't think you have the right holster, bud. I've got. 7K series and a 6354 RDSO and use it nearly daily without issue  especially the ones you're seeing.

I'd call their CS and see what they can do to help, they definitely have holsters that fit the M18 but I'm not sure what's up with yours.
View Quote
I emailed them late Friday.  You don't see the pic of the package label above?  It clearly says M18.  I don't know how to make it any clearer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I emailed them late Friday.  You don't see the pic of the package label above?  It clearly says M18.  I don't know how to make it any clearer.
View All Quotes
I don't think you have the right holster, bud. I've got. 7K series and a 6354 RDSO and use it nearly daily without issue  especially the ones you're seeing.

I'd call their CS and see what they can do to help, they definitely have holsters that fit the M18 but I'm not sure what's up with yours.

Nobody has been snooty with you, if you're reading tone, that is on you. We are trying to help you but you seem to know it all. You do realize that they sell M17 and M18s without safeties right? So yeah, your label says M18 but that is not the military version with the safety. You have the wrong holster. You bought the concealment version of the X-Series holster. If you had the correct holster you would have plenty of clearance for your safety levers. So much so that you could even install nub mod from OT Defense which actually makes that lever even bigger. You are also using a holster designed for a light without the light, despite what you read, the safariland 7000 series does not work well without that light. It can cause the pistol to not ride correctly but hey, what do I know, I've only been using Safariland holsters for 20 years and have a closet full of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:56:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#23]

Nobody has been snooty with you, if you're reading tone, that is on you. We are trying to help you but you seem to know it all. You do realize that they sell M17 and M18s without safeties right? So yeah, your label says M18 but that is not the military version with the safety. You have the wrong holster. You bought the concealment version of the X-Series holster. If you had the correct holster you would have plenty of clearance for your safety levers. So much so that you could even install nub mod from OT Defense which actually makes that lever even bigger. You are also using a holster designed for a light without the light, despite what you read, the safariland 7000 series does not work well without that light. It can cause the pistol to not ride correctly but hey, what do I know, I've only been using Safariland holsters for 20 years and have a closet full of them.
View All Quotes

The only Sig that I can find that don't have safeties are the M17X/M18X; every other M17/M18 I've seen in either in the flesh or through DGD images search show all with safeties, including Sig's own web site.  Wouldn't Safariland know this and design and market their holsters appropriately?

Their on-line Holster Finder tool, their .pdf spreadsheet of their holsters, plus the label they put on the holster package all show the same thing:  M18.  Which is what I have.  In addition, the place I ordered it from also confirmed the fit to the M18 via their website.    So quit saying I bought the wrong holster.  

And if you want to get into a dick measuring contest:  I bought my first Safariland back in the early 70's when I lived in FL near their factory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:48:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Safariland sizing and fit inconsistencies are almost as hilarious as this thread

But seriously, don't count of Safariland to have two related holsters to have the same fit.  You have a 10% chance of fitting perfectly, 30% of not fitting at all and a 60% chance of receiving a plastic gun bucket with a belt attachment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:00:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#25]
Got the light mounted; glad to see it doesn't extend past the barrel (much).  

The other side.  See that little E-clip on the rail extension clamp bolt?  Thank God for Premium Select Supplies, their YT video was the only one that showed the trick to getting it installed.  And as they predicted most people do, yep I lost one of the clips; temporarily.  The package came with a spare.

The battery cover comes with a detent On/Off for storage that ensures the light stays off while not being used.  I don't think that sticker will last long though.

Closeup, showing one switch (one on either side).  Very easy to use, very bright and the switches don't extend into the trigger guard area.  The switches can be programmed for On/Off, On/Stay On and Strobe.  I haven't (and don't plan to) program it for Strobe.  Battery is the CR123.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Got the light mounted; glad to see it doesn't extend past the barrel (much).  

https://i.imgur.com/RLOqjcb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5o7tz6i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vrJasEp.jpg

The other side.  See that little E-clip on the rail extension clamp bolt?  Thank God for Premium Select Supplies, their YT video was the only one that showed the trick to getting it installed.  And as they predicted most people do, yep I lost one of the clips; temporarily.  The package came with a spare.

https://i.imgur.com/speTJXj.jpg

The battery cover comes with a detent On/Off for storage that ensures the light stays off while not being used.  I don't think that sticker will last long though.

https://i.imgur.com/ryxyUaC.jpg

Closeup, showing one switch (one on either side).  Very easy to use, very bright and the switches don't extend into the trigger guard area.  The switches can be programmed for On/Off, On/Stay On and Strobe.  I haven't (and don't plan to) program it for Strobe.  Battery is the CR123.

https://i.imgur.com/zjb99df.jpg

View Quote
The red sticker is meant to be removed, it's just there to explain the lockout operation.

And was the spring clip on yours not already installed?  It should have come with it on the crossbolt already.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#27]
And was the spring clip on yours not already installed?  It should have come with it on the crossbolt already.
View Quote

It does, but you have to remove it to change the “key” insert, depending on what rail you’re using (Glock, Universal, Picatinny, etc.). I’ve always found it pretty easy to do using the simple but handy tool they include in the package.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#28]
The only Sig that I can find that don't have safeties are the M17X/M18X; every other M17/M18 I've seen in either in the flesh or through DGD images search show all with safeties, including Sig's own web site.  Wouldn't Safariland know this and design and market their holsters appropriately?

Their on-line Holster Finder tool, their .pdf spreadsheet of their holsters, plus the label they put on the holster package all show the same thing:  M18.  Which is what I have.  In addition, the place I ordered it from also confirmed the fit to the M18 via their website.    So quit saying I bought the wrong holster.  

And if you want to get into a dick measuring contest:  I bought my first Safariland back in the early 70's when I lived in FL near their factory.
View Quote

I think the idea is just because safariland says one thing, don’t expect their now Mexican made holsters to actually be properly made.

I received 2 G17 XVL2 holsters that locked up every Glock I put in it (gen 3/4/5) with or without the XVL2 on it so tight that I had to remove the screw securing the ALS mechanism to get the guns out….or press so hard down (toward magwell, not muzzle) that the holster literally flexed before finally releasing the gun.

Their CS was borderline useless.

Bottom line is…they aren’t immune from fucking up a holster.  Regardless of what your label says, as others have noted, you got the wrong, or a defective holster.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
It's been three weeks since I e-mailed Safariland.  I know they got the e-mail because they sent an auto-reply within a couple hours with a ticket number.

Guess I'm going to have to call them.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:19:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mew] [#30]
Originally Posted By DavidY:
Safariland sizing and fit inconsistencies are almost as hilarious as this thread

But seriously, don't count of Safariland to have two related holsters to have the same fit.  You have a 10% chance of fitting perfectly, 30% of not fitting at all and a 60% chance of receiving a plastic gun bucket with a belt attachment.
View Quote

No doubt about that, I ordered a holster for an HK USP Expert .45 and received a holster for a USP, it took them 4 weeks to "make" the holster and then ship the wrong holster. Customer no service said "sorry we don't make a holster for the Expert" even though it was in the holster finder AND the order receipt clearly said Expert. Took me 10 days to get my refund so 40 days wasted. I won't be buying any more Safariland products.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruin] [#31]
View All Quotes

Yes, I saw the picture and the label. I don’t believe you have the right holster or you have a defective one as everyone has said. If your emails to CS read like your posts I’d ignore you as well.

Come to think of it… 💡
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:00:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha-17] [#32]
Out of curiosity, why do you guys think the holster is incorrect?  Safariland has no "M17/M18 w/safety" option on their holster finder, just the generic M17/M18 options.  Simply saying that it must be the wrong one because it doesn't work is circular reasoning that ignores the available evidence.  So, what am I missing?

EDIT: I just double checked Safariland's holster finder, and put in an M18, with dot and TLR-7.  The "Everyday" option has the exact part number shown on the package above, 7378RDS-75227-551.  So again, what am I missing here?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Alpha-17:
Out of curiosity, why do you guys think the holster is incorrect?  Safariland has no "M17/M18 w/safety" option on their holster finder, just the generic M17/M18 options.  Simply saying that it must be the wrong one because it doesn't work is circular reasoning that ignores the available evidence.  So, what am I missing?

EDIT: I just double checked Safariland's holster finder, and put in an M18, with dot and TLR-7.  The "Everyday" option has the exact part number shown on the package above, 7378RDS-75227-551.  So again, what am I missing here?
View Quote
Simply put: You're not.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#34]
After a couple more e-mails, inlcluding a few mor pictures and proof of purchase, I got this e-mail from Safairland this morning:

"Hello,

Thank you for your patience while I reached out to R&D. This is what they advised me on:

Not a very widespread issue, nonetheless, we are making a change to the lever to help this situation.  Looking at 5/31/24 to have this new lever implemented.  Sadly, this is not a user-replaceable component, so a new holster would be needed to alleviate the issue.

We do have a returns team who can assist you with the return. Please click on the provided link to start the return process."

So it is the correct holster and it's a factory defect.  Fix won't come out until June.  Alien Gear is supposed to come out with an Retention II holster with optic sometime in April.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Have you looked at G-Code?

They do make a Level 2 holster for the M18 (Sig P320 M18 is what it actually says). However, it doesn't say anything about with or without a safety lever.

And it says this about the light:
"Light Compatibility: Don't compromise on visibility in low-light situations. The XSR holster is optimized to accommodate various weapon-mounted lights, ensuring that you have the illumination you need to make accurate and effective decisions in any environment."

I don't know if that part means it will accommodate one with a TLR7 or not. The pics make it look like the light is closer to the TLR1 or the Surefire X300 or something along those lines. But it may be compatible with your light.

The price isn't too bad at $73.50...hHowever, you'd need to purchase the paddle adapter separately (if you were still looking to use a paddle). It's an additional $42.50.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top