Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2024 12:59:30 PM EDT
I looked for this type holster several months ago and the only one I could find that met my requirements was the Safariland 7378RDS ALS paddle holster.

Are there any others I missed?

Requirements:

- OWB
- Locking mechanism ie tension screw won't cut it (I routinely OC my M18)
- Paddle (or equivalent)
- Accommodates the Sig Romeo 1 Pro with or without a light (the 7378RDS requires the light )

It's easy to find 2-3 of the above, but all four sucks - so far.

Let me know what you got!

Thanks,

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Safariland optic holsters, with ALS, all require a weapon light. Irritating, but that's how they roll.  Might check out the Alien Gear level 3 holsters as they offer an optic version w/o weapon light.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SilasB:
Safariland optic holsters, with ALS, all require a weapon light. Irritating, but that's how they roll.  Might check out the Alien Gear level 3 holsters as they offer an optic version w/o weapon light.
View Quote
Will do!

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#3]
Blackhawk T-Series or Red River Holsters.

Scratch that, I goofed on "with or without a light".

Probably doing yourself a favor by settling that factor then hunting down a holster.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
I e-mailed Alien Gear, still haven't heard from them.  Not sure about their Shape Shift holster, hence the e-mail.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Safariland optic holsters, with ALS, all require a weapon light.
View Quote

The ALS mechanism will lock just fine without the light. The holster just has a big empty space to accommodate the light and doesn’t lock onto the light in any way. All the retention is from the ALS mechanism locking into the ejection port (breach?) on the slide. The post that fits into the end of the barrel as well as the guides on either side of the slide help keep the slide aligned and locked in place.

Having said that, it’s difficult to holster the pistol and align it properly so it locks in place without a light mounted. Plus there’s the obvious added bulk of the light holster that’s not needed when you don’t have a light mounted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

The ALS mechanism will lock just fine without the light. The holster just has a big empty space to accommodate the light and doesn't lock onto the light in any way. All the retention is from the ALS mechanism locking into the ejection port (breach?) on the slide. The post that fits into the end of the barrel as well as the guides on either side of the slide help keep the slide aligned and locked in place.

Having said that, it's difficult to holster the pistol and align it properly so it locks in place without a light mounted. Plus there's the obvious added bulk of the light holster that's not needed when you don't have a light mounted.
View Quote

I should say that all Safariland ALS / Red Dot holsters are built for a weapon light, whether you want to run one or not.  Running one of those holsters without a light is an exercise in frustration.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:38:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#7]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

The ALS mechanism will lock just fine without the light. The holster just has a big empty space to accommodate the light and doesn't lock onto the light in any way. All the retention is from the ALS mechanism locking into the ejection port (breach?) on the slide. The post that fits into the end of the barrel as well as the guides on either side of the slide help keep the slide aligned and locked in place.

Having said that, it's difficult to holster the pistol and align it properly so it locks in place without a light mounted. Plus there's the obvious added bulk of the light holster that's not needed when you don't have a light mounted.
View Quote
Safariland directly contradicted this statement last Oct in an e-mail where I asked if the ALS/Red Dot holster would work without the light (emphasis added):

"Question:  Is the ALS locking system dependent on the light being attached to the gun or not?  In other words:  Will this holster work, specifically the ALS locking feature, with both a light installed and with no light installed?

"Thank you for your inquiry. The light will need to be installed for the holster to properly retain the firearm. Without the light, the weapon will not be retained in the holster."

Whoever wrote that answer for Safariland is completely full of shit.

I should say that all Safariland ALS / Red Dot holsters are built for a weapon light, whether you want to run one or not.  Running one of those holsters without a light is an exercise in frustration.
View Quote
Yep.  

Hence, the purpose of this thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of these for my full size 320 and love them.  Even fits my M9A4 perfectly.
thumb release, strong, with or without light.

https://www.blackhawk.com/holsters/t-series-1/t-series-level-2-compact/P1621646.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MaxCast:
I have a couple of these for my full size 320 and love them.  Even fits my M9A4 perfectly.
thumb release, strong, with or without light.

https://www.blackhawk.com/holsters/t-series-1/t-series-level-2-compact/P1621646.html
View Quote
And you can get a paddle adapter for $16 or so!  Thanks!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top