Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Finally got a slight respite from work this weekend and took a Stop the Bleed course with my brother at the local range, then spent a very short amount of time shooting afterwards. Just another 50 rounds through the gun but still problem-free. The gun still hasn’t been cleaned or lubed. I’ll have time for a more serious shooting trip this coming week and put a few more hundred bullets down the pipe.

I’m thinking the last 100 rounds of the 2,000 round no cleaning/lube function test will be the HST JHP loads, just to see how the gun fairs with carry ammo while all cruddy and carbony.

Total rounds through the pistol: 3,250
Rounds since last cleaned/lubed: 1,250
Malfunctions: 0
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice man. Haven’t commented recently but I always enjoy your threads.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Apologies for going dark for nearly two months, holidays are usually pretty busy with work and otherwise. We’re still going here though!
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you like the SCS compared to the other Holosun you had?  I'm debating picking up an SCS for my M&P.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
How do you like the SCS compared to the other Holosun you had?  I'm debating picking up an SCS for my M&P.
View Quote

So far it works great. No complaints about the auto-adjust, I haven’t caught it at an incorrect intensity yet. The enclosed emitter is nice to have I guess, but I was never particularly bothered by the open emitter optics I had before this one. I’d personally prefer it and would pay the premium to get a SCS made out of titanium just for the extra feel-goods, but considering it survived Aaron Cowan’s abuse just fine (as expected) I’m not worried about it:

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Another range trip, another 250 rounds through the big bastard, aaaaand…Still no malfunctions. I’m honestly a bit surprised it hasn’t so much as hiccuped yet, I’d be very interested to see some of the other popular metal-frame, hammer-fired pistols put through a similar no clean/no lube test to see how they fair.

Took the slide off the gun to get a better peek at the interior and…

It’s getting harder to resist wiping it down with a rag, but resist it I did. Wiped the WML lens clean and put the Roci back into dock.

Total rounds through the pistol: 3,500
Rounds since last cleaned/lubed: 1,500
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve got a pretty clear weekend, I think I’m gonna try to finish knocking out the last 500 rounds of the reliability test over the next two days. Should be able to do it in two range trips.

10,000 rounds on the gun in the first year may have been a bit optimistic given my work schedule Might have to settle for closer to 7,000 before the urge to send it off for a GGI rebuild becomes irresistible
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
What is involved in the GGI rebuild?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
View Quote

I expect it’ll likely be an action enhancement and reliability tune, switch to a flat trigger, possibly some slide milling/lightening, re-finish slide and frame in DLC, and some GGI G10 grips
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Another range trip, another 300 rounds without issue:

The next trip to the range (tomorrow, fingers crossed) will be the big test. 100 more rounds of FMJ, then a final 100 rounds of my carry JHP (147gr HST LE at 1,000 FPS).

I’ve been throwing around the idea of getting a threaded barrel for this thing to include when I send it off to GGI. I may some day want to get a silencer for this pistol (my brother already has a couple 9mm cans), and it’d save me from having to clean the lens of the WML after every range trip. Plus, it’d just make it that much more mechanically accurate, which is never a bad thing.

Total rounds through the pistol: 3,800
Rounds since last cleaned/lubed: 1,800
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
Another range trip, another 300 rounds without issue:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9114-3169471.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9118-3169473.jpg

The next trip to the range (tomorrow, fingers crossed) will be the big test. 100 more rounds of FMJ, then a final 100 rounds of my carry JHP (147gr HST LE at 1,000 FPS).

I’ve been throwing around the idea of getting a threaded barrel for this thing to include when I send it off to GGI. I may some day want to get a silencer for this pistol (my brother already has a couple 9mm cans), and it’d save me from having to clean the lens of the WML after every range trip. Plus, it’d just make it that much more mechanically accurate, which is never a bad thing.

Total rounds through the pistol: 3,800
Rounds since last cleaned/lubed: 1,800
View Quote

Running like a sewing machine
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
SUCCESS!

2,000 rounds. No cleaning. No lubrication.

ZERO MALFUNCTIONS.

The Roci earned the title of workhorse today. A bit later tonight I’ll strip the blaster down and do an initial buff and scrub. I’ll try to get some pictures of the accumulated mess then.

That brings the overall total round count to 4,000 rounds. Hoping to break 7,000 by the end of summer.

Onward to glory!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]

I expect it’ll likely be an action enhancement and reliability tune, switch to a flat trigger, possibly some slide milling/lightening, re-finish slide and frame in DLC, and some GGI G10 grips
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Where would you mill the slide?

Congrats on the project being completed without issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#14]
How many rounds do you think you'll get out of the barrel?

That's awesome that you got to 2k!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, you helped push me over the edge into getting my own P226X5 after wanting one for over a decade....

...taking it to the range today, I was eventually able to get the safety to fail. Safety on - firm trigger press - hammer falls to half cock. Back to Sig it will go.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:24:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#16]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
How many rounds do you think you'll get out of the barrel?

That's awesome that you got to 2k!
View Quote

Fuck if I know. I’ll shoot it until it starts having problems then replace it I imagine.

Originally Posted By leelaw:
Well, you helped push me over the edge into getting my own P226X5 after wanting one for over a decade....

...taking it to the range today, I was eventually able to get the safety to fail. Safety on - firm trigger press - hammer falls to half cock. Back to Sig it will go.
View Quote

Sorry to hear you had a problem with yours! I’ve been keeping an eye on the safety for mine, everyone warned me it was possible it would start having issues with the two halves separating after so many rounds. Mine is still rock solid though
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Fuck if I know. I’ll shoot it until it starts having problems then replace it I imagine.

Sorry to hear you had a problem with yours! I’ve been keeping an eye on the safety for mine, everyone warned me it was possible it would start having issues with the two halves separating after so many rounds. Mine is still rock solid though
View Quote

Yeah, I've read about the safety issues with some SAO pistols, but that's being reported more as a breakage leading to a floppy right side. I've had an SAO P220 for well over a decade with no issues. Maybe a little compare and contrast between the two safeties would be of value, see what, if anything, they changed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Yeah, I've read about the safety issues with some SAO pistols, but that's being reported more as a breakage leading to a floppy right side. I've had an SAO P220 for well over a decade with no issues. Maybe a little compare and contrast between the two safeties would be of value, see what, if anything, they changed.
View All Quotes

Did you get the new USA-made Custom Works X-Five or a German Mastershop pistol?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

USA Custom Works. I wish I had a German Mastershop one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

I get that. Good news is from those who do own both the quality, fit, and finish of the CW guns are on par with the MS pistols. Keep me updated on how Sig handles repairing your safety and what you do with the gun going forward!
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:57:16 AM EDT
[#21]

I get that. Good news is from those who do own both the quality, fit, and finish of the CW guns are on par with the MS pistols. Keep me updated on how Sig handles repairing your safety and what you do with the gun going forward!
View Quote

Taking it to pieces, the problem was fairly easy to diagnose.

The pre-travel screw was about a half-turn past the limits where the safety engaged the trigger bar properly. It means that the pre-travel was shorter before hitting the wall, but the safety would only engage the trigger bar if the safety was flicked up on the right side and there was a hard *click* into place. The design of the ambidextrous safety has a little bit of slop in it allowing the left side to lift fully while the right side falls just short of full engagement if there is significant resistance. Adjusting the screw back half a turn eliminated the problem and the safety clicks into place like normal. Taking the hood off also gave me the opportunity to check for the hammer hitting on the SAO safety screw, which it did not. It looks like the screw has a relief cut in it to prevent the contact.

I might adjust the trigger bar in the future to allow for the shortened pre-travel and also shorten the reset at the same time, but that's a future project.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

The 220 and the 226/229 use different safety mechanisms.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By helix139:

View Quote

Yup, you are right. Pulled them both apart for some looks and while they're derivative, they're different. Both fit each other, but the P220 SAO safety in the P226X5, the P226X5 can fire. The P226X5 safety in the P220 SAO, the trigger locks up way at the front of the length of travel. The length between the pivot and the lug that interferes with the trigger bar is a difference of about .050" with the P226X5 being longer.

Other difference: on the P226X5, the right side is screwed into the left side via the threaded cross pin. On the P220 SAO, the right side safety has a cross pin integrated into it. That cross pin fits through a receiving hole on the left side safety, which is retained by a spring which acts as the positional detent.

Neat little engineering differences.

Also, after adjusting the trigger pretravel on the P226X5, it had a 200 round trip to the range with zero malfunctions. v
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Yup, you are right. Pulled them both apart for some looks and while they're derivative, they're different. Both fit each other, but the P220 SAO safety in the P226X5, the P226X5 can fire. The P226X5 safety in the P220 SAO, the trigger locks up way at the front of the length of travel. The length between the pivot and the lug that interferes with the trigger bar is a difference of about .050" with the P226X5 being longer.

Other difference: on the P226X5, the right side is screwed into the left side via the threaded cross pin. On the P220 SAO, the right side safety has a cross pin integrated into it. That cross pin fits through a receiving hole on the left side safety, which is retained by a spring which acts as the positional detent.

Also, after adjusting the trigger pretravel on the P226X5, it had a 200 round trip to the range with zero malfunctions. v
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By helix139:

Glad to hear you got it working! I had a problem like that with my 10mm Tanfoglio, adjustable trigger loosened up and caused the trigger to stop resetting. Good thing to keep an eye on if you’re gonna have an adjustable trigger.

Got any pics of your sweet Wunder Neun?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top