Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I and a few USPSA friends shot both quite a bit last year and we all came to the conclusion that the 45/19X has all the performance limitations of the 19 but in a package that carries and conceals like a 17.  

So, if you want all the disadvantages of a fullsize and compact pistol in one gun, the 45 is made just for you.
View Quote
Would have been the cat's meow for that IDPA division that they killed because of all the 1911 commanders that everyone was using instead of the G19 it was designed for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
@ban-hater

Bring the fun!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You have a problem........there is no OD green glock in that stable!
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a fully ZEV'd up 17... after getting the 45, it has sat in safe, alone and unloved

the 45 is box stock with an SRO the only addition...
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When people talk about the balance of the 45 it makes me chuckle. And how does a shorter barrel and slide have better recoil characteristics? Methinks people just bought what Glock was selling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because competitive shooters need competitive advantages.

Short barreled 9mms don't have it.
When people talk about the balance of the 45 it makes me chuckle. And how does a shorter barrel and slide have better recoil characteristics? Methinks people just bought what Glock was selling.

Yeah. It’s just a Glock 19 with a longer grip.

It’s basically the same thing as a Glock 19 with an X-Grip on a 17 mag.  Been around for years and nobody thought anything about it because it’s just a Glock 19 with a longer grip..
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]

This is all ways the best answer and should be the standard answer by all arfcomenias
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
For me the only reason I would choose the G45 would be for holster compatibility, otherwise I'd go G17 just because you get the same grip but the longer slide will give you slightly better ballistics.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 3 45’s & 2 17’s. Much prefer the 45’s!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s basically the same thing as a Glock 19 with an X-Grip on a 17 mag.  Been around for years and nobody thought anything about it because it’s just a Glock 19 with a longer grip..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because competitive shooters need competitive advantages.

Short barreled 9mms don't have it.

It is nowhere near the same as an x grip. The people who say they “think it’s dumb” have 87% or more never handled or shot it.

I’ve carried a 19 or 23 for personal carry and/or duty for over 20 years. The 17 is the legacy gun for Glock so it will always be around for awhile and is still a good gun.

The 19 has been the “answer” for an all a round fighting gun. For a long time here.

The 45 is just the evolution of all of that. It takes the best parts of both guns and rolls in to one. It’s awesome period.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The people who say they "think it's dumb" have 87% or more never handled or shot it.

View Quote

I've owned both and the 45 is dumb. If the 45 was Glock's original full size 39 years ago, it might make some sense, but with the 17 still in production, it makes no sense at all. People are buying them for the same reason people bought parachute pants in the 80's.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the G45. I suppose any of the gen 5 guns mentioned here would be good coming from a gen 3 G19, which was my favorite Glock till now.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#14]
From the way folks are posting, I don't think that our two resident naysayers are going to be changing any minds any time soon. And honestly, I don't understand why they are trying to change minds at all.

The 45 already fits in a 19 holster. Many here have that. If one wants to add a comp to a 17, there are almost no choices for holsters unless they're making their own or know someone that does and lives close by. But if they were to comp their 45, they can use readily available G34 holsters. Red dots are making the sight radius argument mute. Add in those wanting the faster slide velocity to return to battery with a comp to negate the flip and aid in muzzle recovery, it becomes very easy to understand. And from what I have heard, the balance even with the add on's is still better than a 17 with the same stuffs.

And as I have said before, I want one for secondary and nightstand purposes. I don't need a do all 19, I never carried mine as I prefer single stacks for my EDC as they're easer to conceal. I don't need things to make sense for someone else, my tools are for me and not them nor seeking their approval.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#15]
The naysayers are the type of people who use shot timers and shoot standardized drills to measure performance.

The 19 just is not as good from a performance standpoint. If holster compatibility or something like that is why it’s the better gun, then that’s fine.

Nobody argues the merits of a 16” carbine gas AR, which the 19X/45 is the handgun equivalent of.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
The naysayers are the ones that superimpose their own experience and needs on others, and make assumptions on their behalf. This is wrong because it is entirely unprofessional, ignorant, and bad form in a technical discussion.

And the 16 inch AR15 is a fallacy argument as well, one side prefers it for many reasons, not having to pin and weld is one of the main arguments being used. Those preferring 14.5 mention well balanced the most. I scoff at neither sides because I know how to MYOB.

My points are still valid and sound for why a 45 will be great for my intended use of it, so nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I was in the original group of narrow mindedness "gee that looks stupid crowd."  Until I started to shoot at first the FN 509 Tactical and then the G45.  One of our Rangemasters/Armorers got a G45 with a TLR1 milled for a RMR and allowed us to demo it.  The more I shot it (1K+), the better it felt.  Now I have a 509T, G45 MOS, G19X, P320 Carry, M18 to name a few in the same set up.  Same guy carries it appendix with a TLR1 and a spare mag.  Yeah, it's a big gun, until you need it.    

OP for the purposes you mentioned, can't go wrong with a G45.  Optics throw out the sight radius drama.  Get a good light, since you need to identify what goes bump at night at your home.  And if you need to carry it, any holster for a G17 will work.  

Every tool has a purpose...  Not effective you say? Stand in front while I shoot you and let me know how it doesn't work...

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
OP decided on the 45

I guess we're done here. Until the next time
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've owned both and the 45 is dumb. If the 45 was Glock's original full size 39 years ago, it might make some sense, but with the 17 still in production, it makes no sense at all. People are buying them for the same reason people bought parachute pants in the 80's.
View Quote

I work plainclothes LE. I am in a desk chair and on a wooden bench in a court room. I have the shootability of a 19 and the capacity and better grip of a 19 all in a package that doesn’t have a longer slide and barrel that drags or hangs down below a suit jacket or get caught on things as much.

Believe it or not that 1/2-3-4” makes a difference
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#20]
The 19X and 45 are simply Glock’s entries into the commander sized gun market.  No different than Beretta with the Centurion or Sig with the 320 “carry” variants.  If people don’t like a given model of pistol so what.....don’t buy it.  If someone does like it, good buy it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I work plainclothes LE. I am in a desk chair and on a wooden bench in a court room. I have the shootability of a 19 and the capacity and better grip of a 19 all in a package that doesn't have a longer slide and barrel that drags or hangs down below a suit jacket or get caught on things as much.

Believe it or not that 1/2-3-4" makes a difference
View Quote
And I find that I bang the butt of the 17 off chairs, doorways, and the bolsters of car seats way more than the barrel end touches everything. More than my 19 by a long shot. That's why some of us think it's clown shoes.

I can understand people arguing that it's better at one niche compared to another, but acting like it's the second coming of Jesus, even as an unabashed G5 Glock fan, is what makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been a fan of the 17 since I got my Gen 1 in 1986. I got to try a brand new G45 a while back when my buddy's department was transitioning to them. Aside from not caring for the ambidextrous slide stop, I was surprised at how much I liked the pistol.

As a lefty, myself and other left handed shooters found our thumbs would occasionally keep the slide stop from engaging when the mag was empty. Probably something that an adjusted grip would fix, but after decades of not having an ambidextrous slide stop, I could continue to live without one.

I won't be replacing my 17 with a 45, but if it was a choice between a 45 and another model, I would choose a 45.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
G45 with G17 ballistics..
https://i.imgur.com/0CBwcxX.jpg
View Quote

It’s... beautiful.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top