Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2022 11:49:00 PM EDT
What is the purpose if this ammo below? Expansion or just "nontox" version of range fodder?

https://www.sgammo.com/product/9mm-luger-ammo/1000-round-case-9x19-luger-100-grain-soft-point-nontox-sellier-and-bellot-pol

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Description says "made for Austrian Police". I remember a few years ago folks discussing the same or similar ammo. iirc it was a typical European attempt to get some terminal performance without going JHP (or getting terminal performance).

For the price, there is much cheaper FMJ practice ammo and MUCH better JHP.

Although it is neat ammo and probably has some use. Maybe small game hunting?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Description says "made for Austrian Police". I remember a few years ago folks discussing the same or similar ammo. iirc it was a typical European attempt to get some terminal performance without going JHP (or getting terminal performance).

For the price, there is much cheaper FMJ practice ammo and MUCH better JHP.

Although it is neat ammo and probably has some use. Maybe small game hunting?
View Quote

Thanks. I guess it penetrates more than fmj but less than hollowpoint.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
9x19mm, 100gr JSP, Sellier and Bellot, Police
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks. I guess it penetrates more than fmj but less than hollowpoint.
View Quote

How does that work?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure he meant it the other way around...penetrates less than FMJ but more than JHP. Not 100% sure this is true but probably.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes. That's the vid I remember from way back (thanks Buff).

It's interesting ammo that goes fast but doesnt expand AT ALL. Probably works ok if you hit bone. If I was stuck in some retard State (NJ) and counldnt use JHP, I guess this load would be a viable option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sure he meant it the other way around...penetrates less than FMJ but more than JHP. Not 100% sure this is true but probably.
View Quote

Yes, that's correct.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Hirtenbeger made a similar load that was for Austrian & German police back in the 1990s.  There are different ways to solve the concern of over-penetration, remember the Blitz-Aktion Trauma (BAT) round, followed by Pretoria Metal Pressings (PMP) Eliminator aka MONAD, which was allegedly based on the French THV (Tres Haut Vitesse, meaning very high velocity) but non-AP:

https://combatives.forumotion.com/t3115-special-purpose-ammunition-in-south-africa

Light & fast doesn’t have the momentum & the soft point causes deformation that also limits penetration, in theory.  Buffman did a thread not too long ago on the PMP ammo sold as New Generation Ammunition (NG & NGA):

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/NG-Eliminator-80gr-9mm/20-203619/

I have a few hundred of the Hirt 100g or 99g soft point & wasn’t aware S&B made them, but it’s a European thing.  PMP in South Africa was making THV that were imported into the USA before the “copper killer” bullet craze made famous in one of the Lethal Weapon movies.

MEN also made a 90-ish grain solid copper 9mm that was dirt cheap plinking ammo back in early 2000s—again, light & fast & 100% reliable in G17 & G19s.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
9x19mm, 100gr JSP, Sellier and Bellot, Police
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I tested the older 100gr stuff as well. Marked +P+. No expansion in clear gel. That could be the determining factor, but usually most agree that clear gel tends to favor getting bullets to expand over clear gel. No doubt a hard barrier would probably cause it to deform/expand out
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Back in the late 90's I bought a bunch of Hirtenberger with the same kind of 100gr bullet loaded to +P+ pressure. The biggest point the add made about the ammo was the "reduced chance of ricochet". That may be one of the big reasons for that bullet design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top