Page Handguns » FN
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So who's ready for some good news?

I got an email from Rick at Ameriglo!

Sir,
We will make another run of tall suppressor usable sights for the FNP45.  I expect to have these after our standard height FNP 45 sights are ready.  The tall version will be available (hopefully) in May 2009.
Rick

There you have it. We're getting a threaded barrel and night sights. It may not be today, and it may not be tomorrow, but it IS happening. I'm going to see if I can't track down a spare FNP45 slide. I'd love to be able to swap slides and barrels and be good to go. I'll post what I find out.

-Wicked

Awesome, great news Wicked.  Thanks for your efforts!  I will have to email them to see if I can't get in on a reserved list.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I asked about thread pitch, and I was told that different threads would be available. I didn't ask specifics, but if you check out their other threaded barrels I'm sure they will be comparable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
bump for new info
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I got this reply about the extended barrel from GEMTECH:

FN, when and if they release any barrels will be using the M16x1mm Right Hand thread, same as the HK Mk 23 SOCOM handgun. The one factory threaded barrel for the FNP-45 that we have in house is using that thread.

Regards,

Gemtech Technical Staff

-Will
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Huh. That interesting. I wonder if Gemtech knows something we don't, or if they're just speculating based on what they have. Either way, I'm holding out for FD's barrels.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
any news?
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I checked both websites yesterday for obvious postings on the items we're looking for. I'll give it another Month before I start harassing them again. Currently, I'm trying to track down my very own FNP 45 USG in Flat Earth. There's on on GunBroker for $950. I think I'll keep looking. I'm also looking for a slide. I'll be emailing FN or calling them in the near future. I may have to call them about an FNP45 anyway...
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone found someone that will do the slide inletting for an optic on the FNP-45?
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've contacted the shop mentioned earlier in this thread, but they've never returned my emails. I may end up talking to a local shop when I get back to the states who's done some work for me in the past. I'm also attempting to track down a parts breakdown of the FNP 45 USG. I'd love to have a spare slide modified so I could switch from Tactical/Suppressed back to a normal USG.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Any word on a barrel?  I am dying to have a reason to get a can in .45....
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Last I heard they were due out sometime next month. I sent the guys at FD an email yesterday. No word back yet. Keep your fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I am in for getting the Slide modified, I would like to have the Doc Op on my slide. Let me know when you find someone to do the machining.

Looks like I am going to build an all Black version.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Original Thread Updated.

Thanks for the continued interest everyone. Hopefully I'll get some more information this week. I'm also going to ramp up my efforts to find a shop that'll mill the slide for the optic.

Wicked out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
One other thing I wondered if anyone had run across was a compact optic with the glass to the rear?  I'm sure it's due to the technology of the particular sight.  I know Eotech makes a small model, and they're oriented like that of course, but it's still about the same height as the others and pretty bulky compared to the Trijicon and such.

I just thought that would get the glass a little further from the chamber, and probably keep it a lot cleaner.  Certainly desirable, especially if you wanted to mount it in front of the rear iron sight like the prototype.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think I've seen anything like that, and to be honest, I doubt that an inch or so would make any real difference.

I sent an email to a machinist I've had dealings with in the past. I'll let you guys know what he says when I get word back. Also, there used to be a link of pistolsmiths somewhere on this site. If someone knows where it is and can link it, that'd be great.

Thanks,
Wicked
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Will the machinist that you are talking to machine a cover like the proto type has, so that when there is no optic the machined part is covered?
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#17]
No word back yet, but I included images of said cover and questioned that exact event in my email. Keep your fingers crossed.

-Wicked
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Can you order slides from FN for the FNP-45 USG? Just wondering what happens if the machining process gets messed up? Or if you want an extra one. Also if the machinist messes up the machining of the slide, does he pay for the new slide or what?

This thing should be sweet when complete! We need some more pictures.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry for the poor pics. I haven't brought them home to the gun yet. I'll try to post better pics with the gun. This was the only set they had, and you may want to wait until I install before ordering. I don't even know if they will fit. These are prototypes.

ETA they do look like the sights on page one
http://i41.tinypic.com/o5nfy0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/maxmig.jpg

What is the model number of these sights?
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can you order slides from FN for the FNP-45 USG? Just wondering what happens if the machining process gets messed up? Or if you want an extra one. Also if the machinist messes up the machining of the slide, does he pay for the new slide or what?

This thing should be sweet when complete! We need some more pictures.

So far I haven't seen any source for any spare FNP-45 parts. I am looking. If the machinist messes up, generally speaking, it's on the machinist. That's something you'll have to deal with. Right now, it's a hypothetical.

TrueGlo hasn't released the tall sights yet. I don't think there is a model number for them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
OST....Badly in need of a FD barrel and sights for my FDE 45
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OST....Badly in need of a FD barrel and sights for my FDE 45

You and me both. Still waiting on responses.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I got word back from the Machinist I emailed.

-No problem at all with the actual work. It's a fairly straightforward mod.

You'll need to send me *just* the bare slide, of course, not the entire
pistol.

In my initial email I asked him about the cover, cost, and time frame. He didn't address these in his email, so I sent him a reply asking him. I forgot to ask if he'd need it completely torn down or not. For the record, he's NOT a gunsmith. That being said, he's an extremely gifted machinist. More details to follow. Something else we may want to look into is refinishing for after the slide is completed. I'm probably going to stick with the block, although I'm tempted at going tan like FN's prototype.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I really like the tan, but I am going to stick with black, post machining. What is the finish on the slide? I may know of a place in southern NY that might be able to do it, need to talk to a friend first.

Just bought my FNP-45 USG in all black, and it should be in my hands in about a week.

Price and turn around time as well as the cover plate would be good to know about. How does the docter attach to the slide, I have never had one so I dont know. If there is a bolt hole pattern we should find those dimensions. Or can you put another optic back there? The new Trijicon RMR would look nice on the slide, or the basic Trijicon RedDot it smaller (by about 3mm in length) than the Docter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm not sure what the finish is on the slide, but there are plenty of options for having it redone after machining. I'm not really worried about how people want to redo the finish. People will most likely want to find somewhere that's local to knock it out. That may go for machining as well. The person I contacted isn't local to me, but I trust his work and will be happy to share his information once all the information is sorted out.

Doctors attach via two screws in the top of the optic, the same way the plate cover does.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Of course it is stainless, and it will be pretty much covered by the site anyway.

Doesn't FN use a Melonite treatment on the slides?
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Of course it is stainless, and it will be pretty much covered by the site anyway.

Doesn't FN use a Melonite treatment on the slides?

After a quick google, Melonite is indeed the finish type.

After looking at the Trijicon RMR, I'm not sure if I'd want to use it, and it does have a different footprint than the Doctor.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#28]
What are the differences between the RMR and the Docter?
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What are the differences between the RMR and the Docter?

The RMR has different dot sizes, uses Tritium, and has a different footprint.

And it's uglier.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
tag for update
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I spoke with an FN-USA representative yesterday.  He said that the "military" version of the FNP-45 would be announced as a production model at the May NRA show in Phoenix.  He indicated that they would be available for sale to civvies mid-summer.  

Now...we all know what these factory time lines actually mean

Mid Summer = Q1  2010?  

In any case, I guess it all boils down to whether or not you want to wait for a gun that may or may not exist this year.  

My situation is a bit unique, in that I am going to be moving to Massachusetts this Summer where you cannot buy any FN handguns.  I know, I know...MA is one of the worst, if not THE worst states for gun rights but I have a good job offer there.  Either go to MA and work, or stay in MO and lose house, go bankrupt etc.  So...I think I am going to spring for the FNP-45 USG before I move there.  At least that way I can store my .45 suppressor in New Hampshire and go up there to shoot.  

Thanks for the great work on the barrels and sights.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I spoke with an FN-USA representative yesterday.  He said that the "military" version of the FNP-45 would be announced as a production model at the May NRA show in Phoenix.  He indicated that they would be available for sale to civvies mid-summer.  

Mid Summer = Q1  2010?  

In any case, I guess it all boils down to whether or not you want to wait for a gun that may or may not exist this year.  

My situation is a bit unique, in that I am going to be moving to Massachusetts this Summer where you cannot buy any FN handguns.  I know, I know...MA is one of the worst, if not THE worst states for gun rights but I have a good job offer there.  Either go to MA and work, or stay in MO and lose house, go bankrupt etc.  So...I think I am going to spring for the FNP-45 USG before I move there.  At least that way I can store my .45 suppressor in New Hampshire and go up there to shoot.  

Well. Sonofabitch. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye open for the press release and have my dealer order me one as soon as it's made. Oh well! Nothing wrong with owning two!

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mid Summer = Q1  2010?  

Well. Sonofabitch. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye open for the press release and have my dealer order me one as soon as it's made. Oh well! Nothing wrong with owning two!

Nothing wrong with being the first to have one.

Might also be neat to see how close you get to the factory, or if it might be better than factory.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#34]
That's true. I'd still love to have one. But the question that now appears is "Is it worth voiding a warrenty when FN has plans to come out with the same thing?"

I'm not giving up the project. No worries :)
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Hmmph, well, I'm not holding my breath for FN to come up with the military version.  It's almost May, I wonder how those sights are going...
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#36]
FN is still probably trying to predict the BOM (Bill Of Materials) to forecast the production schedule.

Not something to rush into...  I wish they would - but business prudence says otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
FN is still probably trying to predict the BOM (Bill Of Materials) to forecast the production schedule.

Not something to rush into...  I wish they would - but business prudence says otherwise.

I agree. Smart Business practices over speed. While I am an impatient bastard, I understand their thinking. I just hope they show up faster than the SCAR did. I sent an email to AmeriGlo to see if they're still on track, as well as inquire about a group buy. Between here and FNForum, I'm sure we'll be able to swing something.

I did find out that spare slides are not available. Anywhere. At least, that's what FN says. I'm going to keep digging.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I got an email back from the sight guy. I'll have to check back in 4 weeks. He did say arranging a group buy is possible.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got an email back from the sight guy. I'll have to check back in 4 weeks. He did say arranging a group buy is possible.

I'd be in but, I don't have a FNP45 and in 6-8 months when I get back the FNP45 MIL may be on the market.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I looked around and didn't see this.  But it looks like we might be getting our wish.FN 45 MIL

This baby will jump quite far ahead in my "wants" line to many other things if they can make them at a non-inflated SCAR-type price and deliver the above pistol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Man, if I could just get my hands on that factory threaded bbl I'd be set. I have no need for the Doctor, but the high prifile sighs I got from Ameriglo are awsome.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I looked around and didn't see this.  But it looks like we might be getting our wish.FN 45 MIL

This baby will jump quite far ahead in my "wants" line to many other things if they can make them at a non-inflated SCAR-type price and deliver the above pistol.

Oh well bend me over and call me Sally. I'm really hoping the release the barrel and sights. I don't want to buy another pistol if it can be helped.

(But if it can't, well, I'll live!)
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well bend me over and call me Sally. I'm really hoping the release the barrel and sights. I don't want to buy another pistol if it can be helped.

(But if it can't, well, I'll live!)

I'm in the same boat.  Oh well, worst case scenario = twice the fun, right?
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Any updates on this?

Heightened Sights?

Extended Barrel?

Milled Receiver?

Anything?

Cheers!

-Will
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Mid Summer = Q1  2010?  

I am SOOOOOOOOO in for that.

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mid Summer = Q1  2010?  

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Also,
Will the Doctor optic be removable?  Or better yet, can the pistol be purchased w/o it?  If that's the case, I'll be on it like stink on a monkey
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I am in for any research into a copy. I have two USG, and would be happy to buy a few more. Does anyone know the thread pitch for this barrel or did I miss something further back?

V/r.,

Michael
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am in for any research into a copy. I have two USG, and would be happy to buy a few more. Does anyone know the thread pitch for this barrel or did I miss something further back?

V/r.,

Michael

I got this reply about the extended barrel from GEMTECH:

FN, when and if they release any barrels will be using the M16x1mm Right Hand thread, same as the HK Mk 23 SOCOM handgun. The one factory threaded barrel for the FNP-45 that we have in house is using that thread.

Regards,

Gemtech Technical Staff

-Will
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Bump???
Page / 4
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top