Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:That's another question for a machinist. However, I can pretty much tell you that a 1913 rail would be absolutely fugly. It requires too much height and would require a completely different slide. Furthermore, a Doctor/1913 adapter would only increase to the height of the sight, making it impossible to co witness, let alone holster.

I forgot that the RDP-II was self-adapting, and I agree that it wouldn't be appropriate for this application.

Yeah, I forgot how tall it'd have to be milled for a rail like that.  

So I guess we need to figure out what kind of mount we need to incorporate into the rail.

I'm honestly indifferent if the sights co-witness, as long as the dot appears at (or above) the sights.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sent an email for yall about the sights, I know the guy that does the machining for Trijicon, I'll find out if he made them and how many were made or if it was a little prototype run.  I know he's been doing some FN and Trijicon prototype stuff, just never put it together till I read this.

That's a great lead! Can't wait to hear back. I'll be going through this thread and updating the list in the OP later today to see where we are numbers wise.

Talked to him today, He'd never seen it.  What this would tell me is they didn't prototype it and it's probably not a Trijicon production product, they make all their sights as far as he knew.  Still might be worth trying to contact Trijicon.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a line on the high profile sights. I'm going to get a set around the 11th. If they are right I'll post a link to the vendor. Anyone have a line on the threaded bbl?
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The Barrel is set, the problems are numbers.

Essentially, we need 50 people willing to prepay for the barrel who are willing to wait for the R&D to come back. That's around 7 months. Right now we're sitting at around ten, if no one's backed out.

This is a pretty big deal guys. That's almost $10,000 worth of barrels. And that's even if the guys here would allow us to do it as a group by.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a line on the high profile sights. I'm going to get a set around the 11th. If they are right I'll post a link to the vendor. Anyone have a line on the threaded bbl?

Does this mean these high profile sights are not intended for use with the FNP?  If they do work, could you please post - otherwise I'm a part of the FNForum's Tritium sight group buy.

Regarding the barrels - yeah, I don't know about this one.  I figured that the demand for the .mil conversion would be limited, but not this severely.

Also, this is interesting from the official Q&A from FNForum.net:

"6. Will night sights and threaded barrels ever be made for the FNP line? Night sights are available on 9's and 40's. We will have night sight kits available for the .45 in '09. There may be a .45 model with a threaded barrel available in '09."

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=11041
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sent an email for yall about the sights, I know the guy that does the machining for Trijicon, I'll find out if he made them and how many were made or if it was a little prototype run.  I know he's been doing some FN and Trijicon prototype stuff, just never put it together till I read this.

That's a great lead! Can't wait to hear back. I'll be going through this thread and updating the list in the OP later today to see where we are numbers wise.

Talked to him today, He'd never seen it.  What this would tell me is they didn't prototype it and it's probably not a Trijicon production product, they make all their sights as far as he knew.  Still might be worth trying to contact Trijicon.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Just got another email from the guy, he said they did make those sometimes, guess it took a while to remember

so, the do make it and aTrijicon should have more than one set.

sorry for the bad intel

Link Posted: 2/4/2009 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just got another email from the guy, he said they did make those sometimes, guess it took a while to remember

so, the do make it and aTrijicon should have more than one set.

sorry for the bad intel

So is there any possibility of Trijicon making the tall tritium sights a production item?
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Have we tried to write a site sponsor that would be willing?  Why not them have exclusive barrels? Lawsuits?
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have we tried to write a site sponsor that would be willing?  Why not them have exclusive barrels? Lawsuits?

I haven't spoken to any site sponsors, but it's something we can look into. I can't see the problem with any lawsuits. Plenty of companies make barrels for 1911's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I should know by Wed  the 11th on the high profile night sights. I'll subscribe so I don't forget to post. And I'm in for a threaded bbl even if it'sa pre-pay.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
This sounds promising:

http://www.fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=10365&start=17

just talked to the owner of fire dragon. He said they are working on a barrell for fnp45, out soon. i have bought 2 barrels and two recoil reducing rods for other guns and like their products.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This sounds promising:

http://www.fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=10365&start=17

just talked to the owner of fire dragon. He said they are working on a barrell for fnp45, out soon. i have bought 2 barrels and two recoil reducing rods for other guns and like their products.

I'm not familiar with FD, but if that's true, I'm extremely excited to see a company picking up on aftermarket parts without our organizing a massive group buy. Fingers CrosseD!
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I should know by Wed  the 11th on the high profile night sights. I'll subscribe so I don't forget to post. And I'm in for a threaded bbl even if it'sa pre-pay.

Any updates here?
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#14]
The company that I'm dealing with is Ameriglo. He had a single set that should be in today or tomorrow. They hit my card last Friday. These are supposed to be the same high profile(suppressor friendly) sights seen on the prototype. When they come in I'll post pics. At this time Ameriglo doesn't plan on a production run and without a threaded bbl I may not even install them. Frankly I didn't pos the name of the company because I wanted to secure my set. If they work, and fit properly I think they could be talked into doing a run.

If FD makes a barrel I'd be in for one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The company that I'm dealing with is Ameriglo. He had a single set that should be in today or tomorrow. They hit my card last Friday. These are supposed to be the same high profile(suppressor friendly) sights seen on the prototype. When they come in I'll post pics. At this time Ameriglo doesn't plan on a production run and without a threaded bbl I may not even install them. Frankly I didn't pos the name of the company because I wanted to secure my set. If they work, and fit properly I think they could be talked into doing a run.

The more I think about it, the more I really hope FD comes through. I don't supposed they gave any sort of timetable. As far as sights, I'd definitely like to see them mocked up against the regular ones if you don't plan on installing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So you mean I could call them up and order a set myself and see what happens?
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in for a threaded barrel and high night sights. What thread pitch are poeple wanting? My suppressor has HK 16x1 LH threads. Just picked up a new FNP 45 in dark earth with a saftey. It came with 2 14 round and 1 15 round mag! Cant wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry for the poor pics. I haven't brought them home to the gun yet. I'll try to post better pics with the gun. This was the only set they had, and you may want to wait until I install before ordering. I don't even know if they will fit. These are prototypes.

ETA they do look like the sights on page one

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry for the poor pics. I haven't brought them home to the gun yet. I'll try to post better pics with the gun. This was the only set they had, and you may want to wait until I install before ordering. I don't even know if they will fit. These are prototypes.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of making a prototype for a product they don't intend on making.

Is this just another style of night sights with similar dimensions and specs to the FNPs?  I wouldn't be too surprised.

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't answer your question. I'm sure they plan on producing these if there is demand. I am sure the front sight fits but can't tell on the rear because of how blocky it is. I will try to install them this weekend and post pics of they fit. If not I'll return them. If they fit, and enough poeple want them I'm sure the will make them. Another issue may be ithe height of these sights may screw up the holster fit for the Blade-Tech holster.

I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I know when the pictures of the FNP45 Mil came out they had it pictured in the holster. The only issue mentioned was the Doctor, which was easy enough to solve.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know when the pictures of the FNP45 Mil came out they had it pictured in the holster. The only issue mentioned was the Doctor, which was easy enough to solve.

They used a Safariland Holster for those pictures, right?
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
That's correct, with a little modification.

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://i41.tinypic.com/o5nfy0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/maxmig.jpg

Those look right. Can't wait to see them mocked up to the pistol. I don't suppose you have a micrometer do you? I'd be curious to know how high the POA sits above the slide. I'd also be curious to know how thick the upper wall of the slide is. From the picture, it looks like the Doctor sits lower than the sights. I can't help but to wonder if the slide on the FNP45M was custom in that they left extra metal on the top of the slide to accommodate the milled out section. Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i41.tinypic.com/o5nfy0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/maxmig.jpg

Those look right. Can't wait to see them mocked up to the pistol. I don't suppose you have a micrometer do you? I'd be curious to know how high the POA sits above the slide. I'd also be curious to know how thick the upper wall of the slide is. From the picture, it looks like the Doctor sits lower than the sights. I can't help but to wonder if the slide on the FNP45M was custom in that they left extra metal on the top of the slide to accommodate the milled out section. Just curious.

You and me both.  I was thinking they possibly made a mounting bracket or the like, because from the pictures it would seem the Docter rises too high to be just attached to the slide itself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't believe there's a bracket. I've got a RDP-II, which, if I'm not mistaken, is compatible with Doctor mounts. If this is the case, then it simply uses two screws. This is reinforced by the top cover that FN's prototype utilized, as it's secured by two machine head screws; the same holes the mount uses.

As far as the sights sitting too high, let's not forget that the Doctor is adjustable. Even if the sights sit a LITTLE high or a LITTLE low, the Doctor can be tuned to match. This gives us a little wiggle room.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I got the high profile sights on and will shoot the pistol tomorrow to see how she shoots. If all is well I'll post pics. I believe Ameriglo may do a run of normal height night sights for those that don't care about using a can. Oh, it still fits the Blade-Tech fine. I was a little concerned about the front sight fitting the channel in the holster but there is plenty of room. Hopefully I'll only need a threaded barrel and be in business. I'm not going to try to mount a Doctor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Very Cool!!! Can't wait to get some feedback! If you don't mind, would you take some pictures of the sights in a dark room? I'd be interested to see how they stand out!

Impatiently awaiting pictures,
This guy!
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Very Cool!!! Can't wait to get some feedback! If you don't mind, would you take some pictures of the sights in a dark room? I'd be interested to see how they stand out!

Impatiently awaiting pictures,
This guy!

I'm also impatiently awaiting Ameriglo to open on Monday so I can ask about how to make this a production item...
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 1:37:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Cool. Perhaps the pieces are falling into place all on their own. I feel bad for not being able to take a more active roll. If I was in the states, I'd already have a slide mailed off getting milled.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I've had a number of Doctor and similar sights. Not a big fan. I had one of the early ACOGs with Doctors mounted on it, long before the ECOS series. I hate the adjustment system. I also have one of the Burris units inside the Larue fastfire mounts and it just sits in the safe. I guess I'm old school but since a pistol is a short range weapon, I don't see the point of an RDS on a handgun unless you are competeing with a race gun. I don't even like them on subguns.
That said, the CDI factor is very high on the setup on page one
I can't get a dark pic to work. They have Trijicon lamps and it's very bright a night.

ETA, a few pre-range pics

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Those look PERFECT!!!!!!!

What'd the run you total?

While I'm not a fan of the adjustment on the Doctor's either, I can definately see the use in race, and I know I would love to have something simular for a sidearm here in africa. Great work!
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I think about $80ish, But my guess is a production model would be closer to $100 plus a little. Most of the suppressor sights on their web sight run in that range. I'm an FFL so I get dealer plus I'm pitching this gun to a MIL customer. After it's set up that is......
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got back from the range and I'm a happy camper. I don't post target pics, but after drifting the front sight a RCH left, I punched out a couple of 2 inch ShootNSees and 25 yards off hand. So the sights are keepers! Now I just need a factory threaded bbl..............
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome, it looks great.  I sincerely hope these become production items.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Awesome, it looks great.  I sincerely hope these become production items.

+100

Now all we need is Firedragon to announce the barrel and we'll be in business.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd be happier of FD did their barrels in black. I guess you can't have everything.

I'm going out today with a gun rag writer friend of mine that has a tan T&E model. I'll post a pic or two. His does not have NS but he claims the grip has a different texture, not as aggressive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is a pic of the tan gun. It's exactly like my black one except for my night sights. This will be featured in an article by Nick Jacobelis, my retired customs buddy who I go shoot with. He writes for a number of magazines. These FNP45s seem like great pistols. I have about 500 rounds though mine, (easy to do with 15 round mags!). However, I need a couple thousand down the pipe to trust a new platform.

Everone who fired mine today loved the night sights.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Cool beans! I wonder if I should shoot FD an email...
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 2:52:21 AM EDT
[#41]

I know. Makes me wanna cry! But hope is everylasting!
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#42]
bump for updates
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey guys,

I sent an email to EFK Fire Dragon to try and get a confirmation on the barrel. Sometimes my email gets spammed out because I have a massive military title in there. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm also shooting an email to Ameriglow right now, trying to solidify details. If I get confirmation on all of the above, I'll be contacting a machinist to get the slide milled.

-Wicked

ETA!!!

Got a reply fro EFK FD.

We have a customer test firing one we made for him. If all goes well we will
put them into production.

All I have to say is...

God damnit. Now I have to order a .45 can.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I sent an email to EFK Fire Dragon to try and get a confirmation on the barrel. Sometimes my email gets spammed out because I have a massive military title in there. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm also shooting an email to Ameriglow right now, trying to solidify details. If I get confirmation on all of the above, I'll be contacting a machinist to get the slide milled.

-Wicked

ETA!!!

Got a reply fro EFK FD.

All I have to say is...

Awesome; great work.  I can't wait to hear Ameriglo's response.  Now given the fact someone is making a threaded barrel for these FNPs it shouldn't stand an unreasonable request to make the high profile sights.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#45]
So who's ready for some good news?

I got an email from Rick at Ameriglo!

Sir,
We will make another run of tall suppressor usable sights for the FNP45.  I expect to have these after our standard height FNP 45 sights are ready.  The tall version will be available (hopefully) in May 2009.
Rick

There you have it. We're getting a threaded barrel and night sights. It may not be today, and it may not be tomorrow, but it IS happening. I'm going to see if I can't track down a spare FNP45 slide. I'd love to be able to swap slides and barrels and be good to go. I'll post what I find out.

-Wicked
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Cool beans! I really need the threaded bbl.

If I could get a mold I'd send it off to Raven Concealment for a decent holster. Not a fan of the Blade-Tech.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cool beans! I really need the threaded bbl.

If I could get a mold I'd send it off to Raven Concealment for a decent holster. Not a fan of the Blade-Tech.

I don't care for the blade tech either. I'd like a thigh holster I can carry a suppressed FNP45 in. Something like this.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if that would work, got a CTD item number?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I am talking to Rick Palmer with Center of Mass (http://www.comholsters.com/) and he is reccomending a Glock 21 with picatinny rail holster for the FNP-45.

I will give it a whirl and see how it fits.

I just sent him the dims of the mags and we will se what he can do for the mag carriers.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

-William
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

-Wicked

ETA!!!

Got a reply fro EFK FD.

All I have to say is...

Sweet! What thread pitch are they making? I need 16x1 LH HK threads for my Evo.

Page / 4
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top