Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
@Duffy

Plate arrived today and it looks a million times better than the Glock MOS plate. Tolerances are tight.  I had to insert the plate into the frame at an angle and slide it across until it settled into the channel along the spine of the slide.

Mock up before inserting bolts:

Attachment Attached File

I tightened the plate-to-slide mounting bolts to 13 in-lbs (b/c I have no way of getting them accurately to 13.3 in-lbs.).

Next, I go to test fit the RMR b/c I know it is going to be a tight fit. No matter what I do, I can't get the RMR to seat. I step back for a minute to reevaluate and I notice this:

Attachment Attached File

I gave everything a once over before installation and I didn't notice the bend. Did I do this while torquing the torx screws to 13 in-lbs? Is this thing a gonner?

For reference, here is where I had my torque wrench set.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
More triage...

Looks like the plate got caught up on the "step" next to the extractor.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Call me please 310-428-9453.

We test each plate for plate to slide fit, and sight to plate fit.  Not sure how yours got bent.

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got mine too.  Everything went in nice and snug, though there is a hairline gap from about the rear of the lugs of the plate to about the half way point of the plate, just enough to let light through.  Should I be worried?

Edit, gap, like, thick enough for photons to ripple through one at a time, is between the SRO and the plate, not the plate and slide.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at the underside of the Forward Controls plate, Duffy definitely engineered in a spot for the "step" in the MOS slide.

Attachment Attached File

On the phone with Duffy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Duffy got me squared away! I'll post up after I finish the assembly....
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen SRO leaving a gap between its bottom and the plate before, our SRO does it on every single plate.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got mine too.  Everything went in nice and snug, though there is a hairline gap from about the rear of the lugs of the plate to about the half way point of the plate, just enough to let light through.  Should I be worried?

Edit, gap, like, thick enough for photons to ripple through one at a time, is between the SRO and the plate, not the plate and slide.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've seen SRO leaving a gap between its bottom and the plate before, our SRO does it on every single plate.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome?  As long as you haven't had any issues, I'm ok with that.  Was just about to call you guys!  Thank you again! (Love the swag too!)
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
A few pages back there is a pic of an SRO with significant gap on the bottom, not all SROs are like that, we haven't heard of any problems with them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok guys... Everything is GTG!!! Duffy is a cool dude and knows all about parts built to exacting tolerences.

Moral of the story: Pay close attention to all mating surfaces/fitment and do a test fit of plate to slide and RMR to plate before breaking out the schmoo and torquing everything down.

- This thing is built to Space Force tolerances. Make sure your slide is spotless. A spec of dirt or remnants of old loctite could cause fitment issues.
- Test fit the RMR to the plate. That will be your first clue as to how tight the tolerances are. You might even have tough-ish time separating the two pieces when you are finished.
- Test fitting the plate to the slide can be mildly challenging. Don't caveman it. Take your time and make sure that the plate is 100% level to the slide. I found that I could get it to start seating if I inserted one (long side) of the plate into the center of the slide's cut out.
- Once you get the plate seated (or to what you think is seated), take a look over by the extractor. There is a little step there with a matching cutout built into the plate. Make sure that the plate is seated in this area.

2nd installation attempt after speaking with Duffy:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome

The May production OPF-G, RMR had tighter tolerances, which had the intended effect of making them a tight fit for RMRs and SROs, but given the +/- 0.005 tolerance between the lugs and the front edge radius, also had the unintended consequence of being too tight for more RMRs and SROs.

August production went back to the first (March) production specs, which again make OPF-G, RMR workable with H 507C and 508C, whereas the May units were not.

As I had stated to folks we spoke to on the phone, the easy but lazy way is to make the fit looser, it'd fit anything, but this is self serving and not for the end user's benefit.  The right thing happens to be the hard thing, that is to make it tight so the design can truly work as we know is a better way to mount a sight on a pistol slide: tight, and with the sight immobile.  

The sight to plate screws loosen and shear on unsupported plates because of this movement.  With the sight placed on the plate without screws, does the sight move?  If it moves some without the screws, the screws will get beat up when the sight and slide recoil and return to battery, a cycle of 2 motions.  OPF-G, RMR is designed to keep the sight tightly held and immobile, so the screws' job is to keep the sight held DOWN to the plate, but they're not responsible in keeping the sight from moving along the bore in recoil.

There will be some sights that require the plate to be fitted.  RMR's +/- 0.005 is a 0.010 swing, we try to let folks know about this possibility ahead of time, this is not a drop in fit and installation for some because of the 0.010 swing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok guys... Everything is GTG!!! Duffy is a cool dude and knows all about parts built to exacting tolerences.

Moral of the story: Pay close attention to all mating surfaces/fitment and do a test fit of plate to slide and RMR to plate before breaking out the schmoo and torquing everything down.

- This thing is built to Space Force tolerances. Make sure your slide is spotless. A spec of dirt or remnants of old loctite could cause fitment issues.
- Test fit the RMR to the plate. That will be your first clue as to how tight the tolerances are. You might even have tough-ish time separating the two pieces when you are finished.
- Test fitting the plate to the slide can be mildly challenging. Don't caveman it. Take your time and make sure that the plate is 100% level to the slide. I found that I could get it to start seating if I inserted one (long side) of the plate into the center of the slide's cut out.
- Once you get the plate seated (or to what you think is seated), take a look over by the extractor. There is a little step there with a matching cutout built into the plate. Make sure that the plate is seated in this area.

View Quote

Thank you for sharing all of this. I think the big takeaways are:
- you did a really nice job of objectively troubleshooting a problem and sharing it without necessarily accusing a vendor.
- Duffy stepped right up and requested a call. Obviously an attempt for more information and timely remediation.
- FCD has made a lifelong customer out of me not only because of my personal experiences but also because of third hand experiences like this. Bravo

Other companies have lost my business, and recommendation, because of scenarios like this that have gone much differently.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, we do appreciate the opportunity to troubleshoot and address the issue
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

- you did a really nice job of objectively troubleshooting a problem and sharing it without necessarily accusing a vendor.
- Duffy stepped right up and requested a call. Obviously an attempt for more information and timely remediation.
- FCD has made a lifelong customer out of me not only because of my personal experiences but also because of third hand experiences like this. Bravo

Other companies have lost my business, and recommendation, because of scenarios like this that have gone much differently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Guy stepped right up and went to work fixing it.  My plate and optic fit like a dream!  Now to find a 17 MOS slide...
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Plate arrived today. A very gentle tap with the wood hammer seated it in the G45 slide recess, and the plate-to-slide screws went in without any issue, torqued with a MidwayUSA torque wrench. Placed the sight into the plate with even lighter pressure and it fits great.

The first sight-to-plate screw on the left (which was confirmed to be a different size than the included wrench, per warning email I received) went in without any issue. The second sight-to-plate screw went in without issue, until I noted it wasn't properly "deep" into the sight. I unscrewed it and found it looks like it had begun to cross-thread?  Except it was inserted straight in.  Can't explain it--my eyeball said the plate hole is perfectly centered in the sight hole.  Because the screw threads appear slightly janked, I used the Trijicon sight-to-plate screw, which needed a bit of care to line up correctly, but then went in uneventfully.  So I have two different bit sizes to remove the sight for its annual battery change.  

@Duffy, any suggestions on what happened to the first screw, and/or thoughts on whether it's worth uninstalling everything to see if the plate hole is semi-stripped, or something?

Overall, I'm very pleased with the quality of the fit.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Some T15 screws got mixed in the T10 sight to plate screws, we sent out an email to all the customers that bought OPF-G, RMR from Sat. to Monday to notify them of this.

These T15 screws have the same length and thread pitch, and are perfectly usable, we are sending T10 sight to plate screws to replace them.  Please email me roger@forwardcontrolsdesign and we'll take are of it
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Got mine. Went right in and fit fine.

Only concern, seems like the site to plate is barely on there. Screws are flush, I guess since it’s only making contact with the plate and not the slide would be why it took so few turns.

Gonna shoot it this weekend. Thanks for fast service!
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Screw engagement is adequate, no more and no less on the Glock's MOS plate, on which OPF-G, RMR is based.  Having more thread engagement will be of little use if the sight is allowed to move back and forth in recoil.  A thicker side would have provided maybe another 1/4 turn before making the sight too tall as it is already tall, and it will necessitate new sights and may create problems with existing holsters.

RMRcc's screws are robust, we have confidence in their strength.  All the same, OPF-G, RMRcc will still have the front and rear fence to keep the RMRcc immobile.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Apparently mine are circling around Southern California. Arrived in LA distribution on Saturday afternoon, left, and today at 6am, were scanned back in.

Bet I'm not getting them this week, lol
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Apparently mine are circling around Southern California. Arrived in LA distribution on Saturday afternoon, left, and today at 6am, were scanned back in.

Bet I'm not getting them this week, lol
View Quote

Mine went to the other coast and then came back.  They wanted a scenic detour.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I got someone else's plate LOL.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Is anyone besides C&H making HS 509T adapters?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is anyone besides C&H making HS 509T adapters?
View Quote

https://chpws.com/product/holosun-509t-to-glock-mos-adapter-plate-2
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Some plate news......
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/RMR-on-CHPWS-plate-for-M17-and-M18-UPDATE-received-plates-and-they-re-JUNK-/14-196718/

Buyer beware..
roll your dice...  

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some plate news......
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/RMR-on-CHPWS-plate-for-M17-and-M18-UPDATE-received-plates-and-they-re-JUNK-/14-196718/

Buyer beware..
roll your dice...  

View Quote

here's a hot link

The takeaways are that CHPWS has the potential to make a decent product, or they wouldn't have any customers at all. But, they have a demonstrated propensity for quality control issues on a design that makes the margin for user error razor thing. When confronted with issues, their customer service has been sub par, at best.  This mirrors my experience as well.

On the flip side, FCD makes an absolutely great product, with intelligent design, strict engineering ans quality control and a demonstrated history of oustanding customer service.

Vote with your $ people
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When confronted with issues, their customer service has been sub par, at best.  This mirrors my experience as well.

View Quote

I had an issue with a V4 plastic plate (well more with the incorrectly printed installation isnstructions).

Buck owned up to the issue and sent me an aluminum replacement the very same day.

I couldn't expect more from a customer service perspective.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had an issue with a V4 plastic plate (well more with the incorrectly printed installation isnstructions).

Buck owned up to the issue and sent me an aluminum replacement the very same day.

I couldn't expect more from a customer service perspective.
View Quote

Why did he send you an aluminum plate when he believes the polymer plate is better?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why did he send you an aluminum plate when he believes the polymer plate is better?
View Quote

he upgraded the plate to compensate me for my inconvenience/wasted time
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#30]
So I have been following this thread with much excitement now that I just bought a G45 MOS. I have an FCD plate coming from Big Tex Outdoor. I hope my question is not stupid, so here it goes. Is there any benefit to putting a thin layer of Ultra Black RTV between the MOS slide and the FCD plate? Like to keep moisture or rust from developing?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#31]
No stupid questions for us

I have not heard of it, but it's not necessary.  A customer asked if it'd be a good idea to lightly coat between the MOS plate and slide with oil, the answer is also it's not necessary.

A more often asked question is whether a sealing plate is required.  It is not necessary to use a sealer plate with OPF-G, RMR, as the gasket enclose the plate to slide screw holes.  A customer of ours emailed Trijicon, and the rep told him it a sealer plate was needed.

I believed it was one person's opinion, so I followed up with a call to Trijicon.  The technical support rep confirmed the sealing plate is not needed for OPF-G, RMR (never heard of us so I had to tell him how to find a pic of it lol).  He also stated that it is Trijicon's position to advise people to use it if they're at all unsure, the tiny amount of thickness it adds is immaterial.

Our position has always been that OPF-G, RMR is based on the Glock OEM MOS plate where a sealing plate is required, both the OEM and thus the OPF-G,RMR are designed to accept one.  The tiny amount of thread engagement you'd lose is not irrelevant because it might be 1/20 of a turn, probably not even that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#32]
@Duffy once you guys get caught up would you entertain the thought of making a 509T plate?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Look forward to getting my plate. Have a good one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#34]
We will not develop plates for H sights.  RMRcc and DPP plates are in the works, we'll be working on other Glock items as well (not MOS related).
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Soooo... The Glock MOS Adapter set that I got with my Gen5 is garbage or what?
Or did they fix the issues?

Sorry, but I've been under a rock ??

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Fix?  What problem?"

-Glock

To answer your question: yes.  It's sh*t.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

As already stated....

Get the FCD OPF G plate before they sell out again!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glock created an afterthought so that they could check a checkbox.

Forward Controls stepped in like Q does for 007.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#39]
We have a dozen left, the rest are seconds for being slightly longer than our test G19 slide, but they might fit other slides just fine.  The September production went to nitride last week, it'll be 3 to 4 weeks before we get them back, butt fortunately, dealers such as Primary Arms, Big Tex Outdoors, Weapon Outfitters, etc. have plenty on hand

Quoted:

As already stated....

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Any rough ETA on your DPP plates?
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Getting the prototype in a day or two
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Getting the prototype in a day or two
View Quote

Can you post pics???
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As already stated....

View Quote

Lol... ORDERED

That shipping cost though... oof
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#44]
It cost us $10.31 to ship it, and we take care of replacement, we lose money on shipping.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Not this time, but I think you have a pretty good idea how it'd look

Quoted:

Can you post pics???
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the update on the DPP.

Patience wasn't my strong point today so I went ahead and ordered an OPF-G. I've been wanting to try out an RMR anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#47]
OPF-G, RMRcc should be done soon as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Got my Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS set up with an FCD plate and RMR. I like this plate a lot. I'll be ordering one for a second gun.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol... ORDERED

That shipping cost though... oof
View Quote

$60.86 shipped from ar15discounts.com with code "glocktober"

Get some other items, and shipping is free, so save $5.95

*Not trying to take away direct sales from Duffy, I love my phone dinging at 1am saying my order shipped when I ordered earlier that night

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OPF-G, RMRcc should be done soon as well.
View Quote

@Duffy

Are you planing on a plate for the 43x/48 and RMRcc?

Thanks

Page / 52
Top Top