Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/27/2006 9:04:39 AM EDT
Ok before you all start in on me. I know Jennings suck.

The short story behind this is this. My cousin scraps cars for a living. He found this corroded rusted pistol in a cars trunk. He kept it for a while then decided to give it to me, because he knows I like guns. He figured maybe I could do something with it.

Now I have it and figured what the hell maybe I could bring it back to life. so it has been sittind in a pool of PB Blaster for 2 days now. It is finally starting to come loose. I have never owned one of theses death traps before so I am not farmilliar with how they function or come apart. I want to take it completely apart and put it in a blasting cabinet to try and clean it up.

How the hell does this thing come apart? Besides the obvious method. "Shooting it"

Any help would be appreciated.

Flame

BTW I have pics if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Lets see where this little project goes. Shall we.

Ok guys as I said I have a video for you. We are going global on this, our first episode. I am not hot linking this because of some of the language on the audio track. I don't want to violate the COC. If I am not in violation I will hot link it. Someone let me know.

Link---->>>>>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPiJq3Vcy_4

Also when I have more time I will compile all of the pics in the first thread to clean it up a bit.

Enjoy.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2006 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
at "Shooting it"

If you want to take it apart, you have to have the safety off and the gun uncocked (fired). Then you push in the little button thing in the back of the slide I think about a quarter inch or so and then you should be able to lift the slide off. I've never done it myself, but IIRC from what I've read this is how you do it.

I just recently registered here and they've got lots of good info about these kind of pistols.

And a big yes on the pics!

ETA: The forum owner Mr. SNS should be able to get you a manual if you want one.

ETA2: If you actually want to shoot it and have it be somewhat reliable, take a look at this site for some good tips.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe its the way of telling you it belonged in the scrap.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool you have a gun that was stolen and used in a triple homicide.  

Just kidding but before you work on it you may wish to determine it's legal status.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok before you all start in on me. I know Jennings suck.

The short story behind this is this. My cousin scraps cars for a living. He found this corroded rusted pistol in a cars trunk. He kept it for a while then decided to give it to me, because he knows I like guns. He figured maybe I could do something with it.

Now I have it and figured what the hell maybe I could bring it back to life. so it has been sittind in a pool of PB Blaster for 2 days now. It is finnaly starting to come loose. I have never owned one of theses death traps before so I am not farmilliar with how they function or come apart. I want to take it completely apart and put it in a blasting cabinet to try and clean it up.

How the hell does this thing come apart? Besides the obvious method. "Shooting it"

Any help would be appreciated.

Flame

BTW I have pics if anyone is interested.

First,
I'd have the serial number ran on that piece of shit, to make sure it wasn't used
in a crime
stolen. If the SN# is clean, Sell that piece of pot metal crap immediately or trade it for a couple
mags.

How do You 'field strip' it?
Pull the slide all the way back while depressing the take down button on the left side of the clunker.
Lift the slide up and slide it forward off the rails. Inside, you will find a crude guide rod and spring.
The Bbl. is attached to the frame.

and NO I do NOT own one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cool you have a gun that was stolen and used in a triple homicide.  

Just kidding but before you work on it you may wish to determine it's legal status.  

Psh, I knew you were bullshittin us the second I read that, no way a Jennings 9 could make it through enough shots to kill three people
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
How does running the serial number tell you if its been involved in a crime?

If it was involved in a crime wouldn't it still be in police custody?

Its pretty hard to tell the serial number of a gun from a fired casing or bullet.

The most it could tell you is if the gun was ever stolen.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The most it could tell you is if the gun was ever stolen.

Oops, Brain fart.
That's what i meant by running the serial number.

Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok you asked for it.

The first 5 pics are showing the gun in the condition I recieved it

The next pics are ones after I pulled out the mag from the mag well with a channel locks and removed the grips.

A little PB Blaster anyone???

Ok here in the last pic I tried (poorly at that) to circle in red the latch of sorts that seems to be keeping me from pulling the slide all the way back. It seems to want to push in towords the fram but it also looks like it could slide forward as well. I cannot get it to go forward, only in.

Also I have pushed the red button on the back, in. And well I managed to push it all the way in to the pint is dissappeard into the slide. I tried pulling up as stated but it won't go. The slide only goes back about 1/2".

Ballistically after looking at the bore I don't think there is anyway they could tie this thing to a murder. I could be wrong.

If someone wants to give me a couple of Wilson 10 round .45acp 1911 mags for this beauty, I would be happy to trade.

Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL yea that's pretty rough looking.

Unless the 9 is different from all the other models, around the red part of the firing pin that stick out there should be another part that it rides in. That's what you're supposed to push in to pull the slide off.

But....from looking at the photos you posted it might have a different takedown mechanism. If that's the case, I have no idea.

You might want to head over to the Bryco forum I posted a link to earlier and post the same thing you did here over there and see if anyone can help you.

Wow, it doesn't even look like it's got any rifling left in the bore . Talk about corroded away.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Save it for the next gun buy back in your area, you may get a coupon for dinner or something out of it. Other than that I say junk it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude, It's worth ALOT more than 2 Wilson 10 rounders.

What you have there, is a beautiflul example of the Limited Edition Jennings "Petrified" series.
Only fired once.

Painstakingly finished in "Granite Matte",
by means of aging in pure Detroit River Brine for 4 years.

ETA: Detroit PD recently had a gun back for $200 per gun and kids
were lining up with broken pellet guns.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Save it for the next gun buy back in your area, you may get a coupon for dinner or something out of it. Other than that I say junk it.

I like that idea. I might just have to do that.

Link Posted: 11/27/2006 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Wow, that is a real piece of shit

God forbid you ever get that thing through a function test, yet alone attempt to put a round or two through it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Ever see those movies where the cops shoot a guy only to find out afterward that he's unarmed?

Then one of them says ill fix this, and reaches into his glove box and pulls out a gun wrapped in a bandanna and puts it in the dead guys hand.

Thats the perfect use for this gun, it could save your a$$ in a jam
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, looks like a pistol that was lost in one of those "Boating Accidents" that i seem to keep hearing about.

Tagging to see if you get it going.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude, that thing's shot. Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that idea. I might just have to do that.

Plus it gives you a reason to stand in line and see what other offerings people are there to give away. It's my understanding there are alot of grandmas there with " bring back" rifles and pistols there late husbands left in the closet. Alot of beautiful M1's and others are lost for ever that way. Not sure of the legalities of doing so are however.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, the barrel is rusted solid on the inside - U are wasting your time. And, if there is history behind it - U could find yourself in trouble. He should have turned that thing in instead of giving it to U.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#19]
You could make a really cool lamp or something out of it
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 for gun buyback.  That thing looks like it was in a fire.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Pull the slide back, there is a piece of plastic surrounding the red button. Use a screwdriver to push that black piece in and lift up on the slide.

I have one that I got in a box of parts and I'll be damned if I can figure out what's wrong with it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
dude, if you actually try to fire that thing...  well, um...  we'll just say you've got a lot bigger balls than i do
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I finally got the thing apart. I used a hammer to persuade it a bit. I didn't do the muzzle any good. Maybe I will just put a target crown on it

I will put pics up on the progress after I get back from the hospital.

Link Posted: 11/28/2006 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Pretty funny thread. I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

ETA: But seriously though. That was a waste of some good PB Blaster.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ok, I finally got the thing apart. I used a hammer to persuade it a bit. I didn't do the muzzle any good. Maybe I will just put a target crown on it

I will put pics up on the progress after I get back from the hospital.

Back from the hospital? You didn't shoot it already did you?
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#26]
You could not pay me to shoot that. I think "Death Trap" was the words you used your self. Have a guy with a torch cut it up and get rid of it. It would make a decent weight for a fishing net.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Sweet!!!! I'll trade you my Sig 229ST for it straight across!!! J/K!!!

I would love to see it fixed up though....i love projects like that!
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
That thing has to rank as the biggest POS handgun I've ever seen. It appears to be so utterly lacking in worth that it's almost beautiful in a sick way. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok I got it all apart now. I ran a brish down the bore and cannot see any real lands or grooves, but there is still a lot of stuff in there.

Tomorrow I am going to put it into the blasting cabinet and see how it turns out.

I will post pics as it progresses.

Here are some for now.

Link Posted: 11/29/2006 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Have you looked on gunbroker- it'd be cheaper to buy new parts
(I have nothing to do with these, just got curious what the gun should look like )
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61486537
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61495665

Link Posted: 11/29/2006 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#31]
How does it work? Straight blowback? Is the slide really heavy or something?
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it is just a blow back.  I have found a place to buy parts for cheap IF I choose to actually ressurect this thing.

Funny thing is the barrel is the most expensive part at $55. Even the whole frame is only $24

Parts
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Is that going to be your handgun for USPSA next year after you put the "target crown" on the barrel?

Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How does it work? Straight blowback? Is the slide really heavy or something?

Like any SNS, it's straight blowback. Since it's made out of mostly Zinc it's pretty massive. Still, I bet it's pretty rough to shoot.

Especially if the slide breaks and all that massive Zinc hits ya in the face. <--literally how you'd look.

As much as I'm embarrased to say it, I'm lookin forward to see how this goes Flamethrower.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/thedoctors308/motivator118445.jpg

I'm famous, WOOT. Hey, the Helwan and the Tok turned out to be great shooters, never did find a FP for the little one though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm famous, WOOT. Hey, the Helwan and the Tok turned out to be great shooters, never did find a FP for the little one though.

I was wondering why there was a Tok in there. As for the little one, it's a Sterling isn't it? I'm surprised you couldn't find parts for it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wondering why there was a Tok in there. As for the little one, it's a Sterling isn't it? I'm surprised you couldn't find parts for it.

No, the little one is a Rigarimi Galesi. Numrich is out of FPs and I can't find one anywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the little one is a Rigarimi Galesi. Numrich is out of FPs and I can't find one anywhere else.

Oh ok. Yea I bet parts for those would be hard to find. I wonder if you could find someone with a lathe to make one or something.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Is that going to be your handgun for USPSA next year after you put the "target crown" on the barrel?

You know it.

It can see it now.

This year at Nationals, the top shooter won with a Jennings...
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#41]
This is one of the better threads I've seen in the handguns forum in a long time.  I eagerly await more restoration pictures and a range/incident report.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know it.

It can see it now.

This year at Nationals, the top shooter won with a Jennings...

Don't forget your do-rag and the big puffy jacket. I bet you could haul a lotta mags in that thing...
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#43]
To even think of firing that thing brings a chill to my spine.

I don't even like firing ones that look brand new.

True story to follow:

Fella brings in a Jennings to the store, wants the gunsmith to fix it.  The plastic safety tab broke as usual on these.  He also wanted all the springs replaced and a good cleaning done to it.   Our gunsmith told him by the time he gets the parts, charges for the time to fix it, cleaning it and adds the tax it would be cheaper to buy a new one.

The guy still paid for it, I guess he liked that particular one or something.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok so I went to work today after the hospital and blasted all of the parts that needed blasting. Low and behold the barrel has some rifling left. and a round will seat in the chamber.
There is a lot of pitting on the frame and some on the slide. It also looks like I will need to do some more work to the bore near the throat.

The firing pin slides in and out with just a little bit of resistance. I am sure I can clean that up a bit with some creativeness and a class 3 Dremel.

Maybe just for shits and grins I will fill in the pitting on the frame with some Bondo or just some spot putty, and turn this into a real Ghetto-fabulous project. Then hit is with some metallic gold Krylon. It will be all bling bling in da hood.

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow, I never would've expected it to come out that well. You totally should bust out the Krylon on this one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

This thread is too damn funny, Yo.
Keep us up on the "progress"!

ETA: The gold is pimpin' n all, but a "Tactical" Jennings would be the heat!
Get it refinished in Birdsong Black-T and add some Novak Low-Pro night sights..
then put in a request with Bar-Sto for a one-of-a-kind match barrel.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Taggage.

I must admit - The very first pistol I ever bought was a Jennings Nine .  I had it all of a month or so before I dumped it off on a friend and bought my Glock...  I know if he was a true friend I wouldn't have done that to him but he wanted it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Ok so I went to work today after the hospital and blasted all of the parts that needed blasting. Low and behold the barrel has some rifling left. and a round will seat in the chamber.
There is a lot of pitting on the frame and some on the slide. It also looks like I will need to do some more work to the bore near the throat.

The firing pin slides in and out with just a little bit of resistance. I am sure I can clean that up a bit with some creativeness and a class 3 Dremel.

Maybe just for shits and grins I will fill in the pitting on the frame with some Bondo or just some spot putty, and turn this into a real Ghetto-fabulous project. Then hit is with some metallic gold Krylon. It will be all bling bling in da hood.

pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1293/4220040/8843869/209584419.jpg

Looks very nice!!! No do you remember where all those little parts go????
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1293/4220040/8843869/209584419.jpg

Looks very nice!!! No do you remember where all those little parts go????

Wait,.........I was suppose to remember where they went?? To be honest , not really. I have a schematic that should help a bit. I hope.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, it appears Bob’s Gun Shop has the firing pin you need  www.gun-parts.com/galesi/.

Personally, though, I’m not sure I’d bother.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top