User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i'd be willing to bet there are less than 1/10th the number of pseries out there.

if you want to compare similar number figure 1911's from various manufacturers. probably 1000 times the number of 1911's than all glocks combined given the last 100 years of production.

no gun is perfect. but some have some serious issues that people don't want to admit.

I'm pretty sure you'd be wrong.  Yeah, the 1911 has been around for a long time, but it wasn't actually in continuous production for much of the first 50 or so years; the US military bought them in spurts with many years in between contracts.  And the market for full-size/full-caliber (larger than .380) semi-autos was very, very small until the 80s compared to the market today.

Glock sells a TON of guns.  IIRC, current imports of Glock pistols exceeds 350,000 units per year, which is more than double Ruger, and half of Ruger's pistols are .22LRs.  If you think about it, 1911 models, in all calibers from all manufacturers, probably isn't more than 60,000 per year.  As an example, in 1998, Springfield made about 10,000 pistols and Kimber made 30,000.

-Troy

Please Troy - dont try and confuse us with facts.  

Only ACTUAL sales figures would be facts.  Just because HE says they double the figure does not make it so.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't really heard much about the hated Ruger P-series Kabooming.

Ok. So neither of the ones in circulation have blown up yet.  

I believe that.

viator

Probably as many or more P-series out there as there are Glocks.

I find that amazing. I never would have guessed that.

Do you have links to support your claim that there are that many P series out there?

viator

Dusty made the original claim about the number of Glocks and I asked for sales figures to back it up.  I still await those figures.

I don't really care about your conversation with Dusty.

Independent of that exchange, you wrote in response to what I had written:

So, I am asking you to back up your claim.

Do you have links to substantiate:

???

viator

Edited to fix quotes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid American Ammunition.

All guns can KB.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Read threads thoroughly.

FWIW, the Glock 22 is the most prolific sidearm issued to police forces in the US.  If KB was such a "problem" Glock would be bankrupt from lawsuits.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that.

viator

Do you have links to support your claim that there are that many P series out there?

viator

Dusty made the original claim about the number of Glocks and I asked for sales figures to back it up.  I still await those figures.

???

viator

Edited to fix quotes.

I don't really care what you want or think.  I am awaiting Dusty's proof.

As your comment I responded to was total horseshit (neither of the 2 has kaboomed), it deserves no further response.

I didn't start the numbers war, I am waiting for the one who did to provide some actual data.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that.

viator

viator

???

viator

Edited to fix quotes.

As your comment I responded to was total horseshit (neither of the 2 has kaboomed), it deserves no further response.

I didn't start the numbers war, I am waiting for the one who did to provide some actual data.

Yes, I did write that “neither” of the P series have yet kaboomed. The obvious indicator that hyperbole is intended is the fact that more than "2" P series Rugers exist.

I assumed that adults familiar with the figure of speech known as “hyperbole” frequented this board. It appears my assumption was incorrect. I will try to keep that in mind in future communications.

hy·per·bo·le     P   Pronunciation Key  (h-pûrb-l) n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

[Latin hyperbol, from Greek huperbol, excess, from huperballein, to exceed  : huper, beyond; see hyper- + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Indo-European Roots.]

I did intend in a humorous manner to imply that there are many more Glocks than P series Rugers. I never intended to claim that only “2” P series Rugers are in circulation. I thought that was obvious.

Your claim, which you appear unwilling or unable to substantiate, however, is not written in any manner to indicate that hyperbole is intended:

This appears to be an assertion of fact. I think that your claim is simply untenable.

Since you are unable to back up your claims, I am content to let it drop.

viator

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that.

viator

viator

???

viator

Edited to fix quotes.

Yes, I did write that “neither” of the P series have yet kaboomed. The obvious indicator that hyperbole is intended is the fact that more than "2" P series Rugers exist.

I assumed that adults familiar with the figure of speech known as “hyperbole” frequented this board. It appears my assumption was incorrect. I will try to keep that in mind in future communications.

hy·per·bo·le     P   Pronunciation Key  (h-pûrb-l) n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

[Latin hyperbol, from Greek huperbol, excess, from huperballein, to exceed  : huper, beyond; see hyper- + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Indo-European Roots.]

I did intend in a humorous manner to imply that there are many more Glocks than P series Rugers. I never intended to claim that only “2” P series Rugers are in circulation. I thought that was obvious.

Your claim, which you appear unwilling or unable to substantiate, however, is not written in any manner to indicate that hyperbole is intended:

This appears to be an assertion of fact. I think that your claim is simply untenable.

Since you are unable to back up your claims, I am content to let it drop.

viator

I know what hyperbole is.  Your remark is still horseshit.

As soon as Dusty proves his claim, then mine will be either proven or disproven.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As soon as Dusty proves his claim, then mine will be either proven or disproven.

OK. So you claim to know what hyperbole is.

You just don’t recognize hyperbole or understand it when it is employed.

viator
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If Ruger has sold 2.5 million P-series pistols, I'll eat my hat.
www.topglock.com/glock%20specific/33.htm

The actual sales statistics include 2.500.000 GLOCK pistols sold in over 100 countries to government and civilian customers and underlines GLOCK's dominant role of the market. In the USA, GLOCK pistols are in use in 65 % of law enforcement agencies. Among other things, GLOCK provides pistols for many of American's most elite law enforcement agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), New York Police Department and more than 7.500 other agencies at the federal, state and local levels. Police and military agencies worldwide rely upon the GLOCK pistol for its high level of performance and value.

GLOCK was founded by Mr. Gaston Glock, an engineer, in 1963 in Deutsch-Wagram, near Vienna to specialize in the manufacture of plastic and steel components. GLOCK quickly realized the desirability of combining plastic and steel, particularly for military products, and began to supply the Austrian Army with machine gun belts, practice hand grenades, plastic clips, field knives and entrenching tools.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

I recognize it, I just consider the source.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

Blah Blah Blah, It's been an hour since I posted that.  Where are some p series sales figures?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The actual sales statistics include 2.500.000 GLOCK pistols sold in over 100 countries to government and civilian customers and underlines GLOCK's dominant role of the market. In the USA, GLOCK pistols are in use in 65 % of law enforcement agencies. Among other things, GLOCK provides pistols for many of American's most elite law enforcement agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), New York Police Department and more than 7.500 other agencies at the federal, state and local levels. Police and military agencies worldwide rely upon the GLOCK pistol for its high level of performance and value.

GLOCK was founded by Mr. Gaston Glock, an engineer, in 1963 in Deutsch-Wagram, near Vienna to specialize in the manufacture of plastic and steel components. GLOCK quickly realized the desirability of combining plastic and steel, particularly for military products, and began to supply the Austrian Army with machine gun belts, practice hand grenades, plastic clips, field knives and entrenching tools.

2.5 mil worldwide.  We are talking USA.  You are also linking to a biased website with no actual data.

www.atf.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2001.pdf
(all you have to do is change the year in the URL)

This does not include .22s.

1998 P-series 113,855
1999 P-series 102,670
2000 P-series 147,169
2001 P-series 72,469
2002 P-series 52,530
2003 P-series 36,021

Total for 6 years  524714

Now, figure that from 1985 to 1997.  ATF does not list those years.

Do you have any ACTUAL sales figures for Glock in the US through the same timeframe?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

Blah Blah Blah, It's been an hour since I posted that.  Where are some p series sales figures?

They are right there for you to see.  Got any ACTUAL figures for the US?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK guys...stupid question here I'm sure. I keep hearing about this 'unsupported chamber' stuff with Glocks.

Two questions:

1. Why do they have unsupported chambers?

2. Why doesn't Glock change the design even if it's not a problem, just to increase sales?

Is there something in the basic design of a Glock that requires unsupported chambers?

(OK, so three questions)

The chamber is "partially" unsupported where the feed ramp enters the barrel. This is the trade off, you loose some structural integrity in exchange for nearly 100% reliability in feeding. If you have seen the torture tests, they always brag about the Glock's ability to feed after being buried in sand, etc. Well, this is why.

Also, as previously posted, nearly every firearms has warnings against using reloads. My springfield 1911A1 states (just like Glock) that using reloaded or remanufactured ammo will void your warranty.
However, when you look in the "Modern Reloading" manual second edition, it says:

"Do not use reloads in Glock or similar guns with chambers that do not fully support the cartridge due to the intrusion of the feed ram"

I am not slamming Glocks, I think they are fine firearms (Actually, I want one bad but don't have the cash) But you must remember, they are designed as a tactical weapon for Police and millitary use. They are made for SHTF, not for saturday afternoon plinking and experimenting with reloaded ammo. If I am not mistaken, the HK fits into this category also with the extended feed ramp. The Military doesn't use reloads, and the extended feed ramp and feed angle and the added reliability that comes with it is a big advantage for them. Like I said, it's a trade off. If I had one, I wouldn't shoot reloads in it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2.5 mil worldwide.  We are talking USA.  You are also linking to a biased website with no actual data.

www.atf.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2001.pdf
(all you have to do is change the year in the URL)

This does not include .22s.

1998 P-series 113,855
1999 P-series 102,670
2000 P-series 147,169
2001 P-series 72,469
2002 P-series 52,530
2003 P-series 36,021

Total for 6 years  524714

Now, figure that from 1985 to 1997.  ATF does not list those years.

Do you have any ACTUAL sales figures for Glock in the US through the same timeframe?

While I'm looking, why don't you explaing to me why you don't care for international info?  is it because you know it blows you out of the water?  Are Foreign Glocks Kb Proof or is it because you know that the p series pistols can't compete sales wise, much less any other way, with glocks?  Or could you just not find any info on international sales?  Maybe you did and it pissed you off?  I want some answers biggun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
While I'm looking, why don't you explaing to me why you don't care for international info?  is it because you know it blows you out of the water?  Are Foreign Glocks Kb Proof or is it because you know that the p series pistols can't compete sales wise, much less any other way, with glocks?  Or could you just not find any info on international sales?  Maybe you did and it pissed you off?  I want some answers biggun.

Because international figures are irrelevant.  The kabooms we hear about are in the US, so those are the relevant figures and those are the only ones BATF had.  They didn't even have numbers on pistols imported.

I wouldn't be so cocky about it.  At least I did some actual research and got some ACTUAL figures.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because international figures are irrelevant.  The kabooms we hear about are in the US, so those are the relevant figures.

I wouldn't be so cocky about it.  At least I did some actual research.

I did to and you didn't like it because you think there are only US members here.  There are a lot of international members here.  I'm willing to bet that more COPS in the U.S. carry Glocks than the number of P-series pistols in circulation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because international figures are irrelevant.  The kabooms we hear about are in the US, so those are the relevant figures.

I did to and you didn't like it because you think there are only US members here.  There are a lot of international members here.  I'm willing to bet that more COPS in the U.S. carry Glocks than the number of P-series pistols in circulation.

No you didn't do any research.  That is a Glock owner's website.  It presented no real numbers.  The only kabooms I have heard about are in the US.

I don't even care about the kabooms, it is irrelevant to me, but when someone claims something about sales figures, I want to see actual sales figures in the US.

Again, PROVE your contention that more cops carry GLocks than there are P-series in circulation.  You are big on conjecture, but short on proof.

Since Glock heavily discounts the price to PDs, I am sure there is a high number of Glocks being carried by PDs, but not as many as you contend.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you didn't do any research.  That is a Glock owner's website.  It presented no real numbers.  The only kabooms I have heard about are in the US.

I don't even care about the kabooms, it is irrelevant to me, but when someone claims something about sales figures, I want to see actual sales figures in the US.

Again, PROVE your contention that more cops carry GLocks than there are P-series in circulation.  You are big on conjecture, but short on proof.

Since Glock heavily discounts the price to PDs, I am sure there is a high number of Glocks being carried by PDs, but not as many as you contend.

It is pretty much a known fact that AT LEAST 65% of all law enforcement officers carry Glocks.  It'd take in the neighborhood of 950,000 cops in the to beat your stats,  You think there are more, or less cops than that in this country?  I'm still huntin down U.S. Sales btw,  You haven't been proven wrong yet, but you will be.

ETA Fuck it, since your whining and not accepting the international figures, I'm actually gonna call Smyrna in the A.M.  I've done got curious about the actual numbers myself now.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

2.5 mil worldwide.  We are talking USA....

...Do you have any ACTUAL sales figures for Glock in the US through the same timeframe?

I reread this thread. Nowhere does either Dusty or I indicate that we are speaking only of US sales. Nowhere in this thread does anyone indicate that he is speaking only of US production.

Dusty and I both spoke of the  “circulation” of Glocks vs P-series Rugers. We were both referring to worldwide sales.

It is you alone who has errantly interjected the notion that only US figures are under consideration.

I suppose that if a foreign Glock kaboom picture had been posted you would have objected: “You can’t talk about overseas kabooms here!”

It doesn't matter where the Glock or Ruger was made or sold, it is under consideration in this thread.

But, in the end, it matters little. I am certain that worldwide sale of Glocks will outstrip that of P-series Rugers and US sales of Glocks will exceed that of P-series Rugers.

We'll all find out when Dusty posts tomorrow.

viator
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...Do you have any ACTUAL sales figures for Glock in the US through the same timeframe?

I reread this thread. Nowhere does either Dusty or I indicate that we are speaking only of US sales. Nowhere in this thread does anyone indicate that he is speaking only of US production.

Dusty and I both spoke of the  “circulation” of Glocks vs P-series Rugers. We were both referring to worldwide sales.

It is you alone who has errantly interjected the notion that only US figures are under consideration.

I suppose that if a foreign Glock kaboom picture had been posted you would have objected: “You can’t talk about overseas kabooms here!”

It doesn't matter where the Glock or Ruger was made or sold, it is under consideration in this thread.

But, in the end, it matters little. I am certain that worldwide sale of Glocks will outstrip that of P-series Rugers and US sales of Glocks will exceed that of P-series Rugers.

viator

KaBoom! I love being right  4.5 million Glock pistols in circulation in the U.S.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

KaBoom! I love being right  4.5 million Glock pistols in circulation in the U.S.

Thanks for checking on that, Dusty. That information is consistent with what I thought and asserted.

LARRYG, does this convince you that there are far fewer P-series Rugers in the US than Glocks?

viator

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1998 P-series 113,855
1999 P-series 102,670
2000 P-series 147,169
2001 P-series 72,469
2002 P-series 52,530
2003 P-series 36,021

That trend doesn't look so good for Ruger...

-Troy

By now, It's under 15k a year.  Actually it should have died I guess that's what the P345 was for, to save them,  Ah american business.  When your fucked, pay a lobbyist to get the military to buy something from you. Aint it grand.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1998 P-series 113,855
1999 P-series 102,670
2000 P-series 147,169
2001 P-series 72,469
2002 P-series 52,530
2003 P-series 36,021

-Troy

Hey, even if they are making 50% fewer P-series each year than they were the last, it will still take a long time to reach zero.

That is, assuming that they don’t cease production.

Glock sold more pistols last Tuesday afternoon than Ruger sells P-series in a year.

J/K. It’s hyperbole! (For the slow to grasp: that means that it is exaggeration for effect.)

viator
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

That's all I asked for.  I will call the number on the other thread tomorrow and ask for documentation.  I will also call Mike Smisko at Ruger at get their figure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

US because that is where I have heard of the kabooms.  I have never heard about any overseas, so I am only concerned with US figures.  Dusty provided an answer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for checking on that, Dusty. That information is consistent with what I thought and asserted.

LARRYG, does this convince you that there are far fewer P-series Rugers in the US than Glocks?

viator

Not until I talk to Mike at Ruger.

Talked to someone at Ruger.  2 million P-series in circulation.  Depending on which of your figures (2.5 or 4.5) it's close or there are a lot more Glocks.  Either way, the P-series are excellent pistols that do the job as well as any pistol out there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1998 P-series 113,855
1999 P-series 102,670
2000 P-series 147,169
2001 P-series 72,469
2002 P-series 52,530
2003 P-series 36,021

-Troy

By now, It's under 15k a year.  Actually it should have died I guess that's what the P345 was for, to save them,  Ah american business.  When your fucked, pay a lobbyist to get the military to buy something from you. Aint it grand.

Why should they have died?

What is the difference between getting a lobbyist (where do you get that anyway?) and selling your pistols at a deep discount to PDs?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Talked to someone at Ruger.  2 million P-series in circulation.  Depending on which of your figures (2.5 or 4.5) it's close or there are a lot more Glocks.

Thanks for checking with Ruger.

Did you call the number at Glock to check? That would be the official number. Glock says there are 4.5 million Glocks in circulation in the US.

The 2.5 million number mentioned is an unofficial number has been on that website for a long time, IIRC. It just hasn't been updated as hundreds of thousands of Glocks are sold the US each year.

Since an official Glock representative stated that there are 4.5 million Glocks in circulation in the US, I'm going with that.

I asserted that there are many more Glocks in circulation worldwide than there are P-series Rugers. You called that "horseshit".

There are 2 1/2 times as many Glocks as P-series Rugers in the US alone. I am certain that the Glock numerical superiority would increase as the international markets are factored in.

I was obviously correct.

viator
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talked to someone at Ruger.  2 million P-series in circulation.  Depending on which of your figures (2.5 or 4.5) it's close or there are a lot more Glocks.

Thanks for checking with Ruger.

Did you call the number at Glock to check? That would be the official number. Glock says there are 4.5 million Glocks in circulation in the US.

The 2.5 million number mentioned is an unofficial number has been on that website for a long time, IIRC. It just hasn't been updated as hundreds of thousands of Glocks are sold the US each year.

Since an official Glock representative stated that there are 4.5 million Glocks in circulation in the US, I'm going with that.

I asserted that there are many more Glocks in circulation worldwide than there are P-series Rugers. You called that "horseshit".

There are 2 1/2 times as many Glocks as P-series Rugers in the US alone. I am certain that the Glock numerical superiority would increase as the international markets are factored in.

I was obviously correct.

viator

What I called "horseshit" was the condescending 'both of them' remark, not the assertion that there are more.

Yeah, I know, it was hyperbole.

As already noted, GM sells more cars than anyone else.  That doesn't make it a better product than the others.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What I called "horseshit" was the condescending 'both of them' remark, not the assertion that there are more.

As already noted, GM sells more cars than anyone else.  That doesn't make it a better product than the others.

I have already explained to you that hyperbole, according to definition, is exaggeration for effect.

While you earlier claimed to know what hyperbole is, by these words give evidence that you still don’t understand its employment. Hyperbole is not by nature condescending. I was not condescending. When I am condescending, it is obvious to the learned reader.

Your comment on GM has nothing to do with any of my comments in this thread. I never claimed that Glocks were better than P-series Rugers. All I stated, in a humorous manner that still apparently escapes you, is that there are way more Glocks than P-series Rugers.

You have proven my statement to be true.

Thanks for your effort.

viator
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have already explained to you that hyperbole, according to definition, is exaggeration for effect.

While you earlier claimed to know what hyperbole is, by these words give evidence that you still don’t understand its employment. Hyperbole is not by nature condescending. I was not condescending. When I am condescending, it is obvious to the learned reader.

Your comment on GM has nothing to do with any of my comments in this thread. I never claimed that Glocks were better than P-series Rugers. All I stated, in a humorous manner that still apparently escapes you, is that there are way more Glocks than P-series Rugers.

You have proven my statement to be true.

Thanks for your effort.

viator

Blah, blah, blah.  I am so humbled that you are so more learned than I.

You are all lathered up about there being more Glocks, as if that proves some point.  The GM comment refers to that.  So what if there are more Glocks.  Don't say it means nothing, for you sure as hell won't let it go.

If you don't think hyperbole can be condescending, maybe it is not I who is not learned.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Ok. I give up. I never claimed to be more learned than you.

Reading comprehension is everything.

Are you trying to find reasons to argue?

I have no interest in engaging in internet jousting with anyone who is unable to think logically and communicate reasonably.

viator

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok. I give up. I never claimed to be more learned than you.

Reading comprehension is everything.

Are you trying to find reasons to argue?

I have no interest in engaging in internet jousting with anyone who is unable to think logically and communicate reasonably.
viator

Obviously, you don't even read your own bullshit.

More condescending crap........"who is unable to think logically and communicate reasonably"

There is no reason to try to communicate "reasonably" with someone who posts condescending bullshit and then denies that it is such, then tries to say the reader is not "learned".
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top