Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I think too many people here are being too critical, so Glocks blow up in your hand way more than any other hand gun, that's no reason to be a hater.

I haven't really heard much about the hated Ruger P-series Kabooming.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think too many people here are being too critical, so Glocks blow up in your hand way more than any other hand gun, that's no reason to be a hater.
www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_peep.gif

Name another Brand that has more hand guns in circulation.  If you don't think it happens more, your crazy.  Of course it happens,  it happens with EVERY brand.  Get over it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The only time Glocks go Kaboom is when the shooter uses reloads. The whole Kaboom factor is fueled by the, "the only good pistol is the 1911" crowd. The Kaboom is their last ditch effort to  influence others to hold onto dead technology. 1911 fans love reloads, reloading = waste of time

buy bulk ammo from academy  1000 of 9mm 70 bucks

buy a Glock.

Glock 17 KB, USA brand factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/g17-breaks.html

Glock 21 KB, Amerc brand factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/g21kb4.html

Glock 21 KB, Amerc brand factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb2.html

Glock 36 KB, Amerc brand factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/g36kb.html

Portland Police, 2 Glock 21 KBs on the same day
using Federal factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/ppb.html

Glock 21 KB, factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/g21kb.html

Glock 23 KB, Federal factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/40fed-kb.html

Glock 30 KB, factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/g30kb.html

Glock 35 KB, Federal American Eagle ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/g35-40kb.html
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Uhhh yeah...sure....if you say so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the same note realize that in the Glock 40s the barrel is brought to 10mm on the inside from 9mm, with no external change. No change in the gun at all. So now you have a cartridge with much, much more pressure that spikes very hard in a barrel weaker than a 9mm barrel. Any error in metallurgy is going to show itself very quickly were the 9mm with a bad barrel would never fail. .40s in .45 sized guns never Kb, because obviously the barrels external dimensions are huge.

While everything else you said may be spot on, you are wrong here.  Try dropping a factory .40 barrel into a 9mm slide. Not happening. The .40 barrel has a larger outside diameter.

Yes there is an insignificant barrel diameter change. Take a look at the barrel wall thickness though and you can see it is not proportional. Also take a look at the chamber wall thickness. Note that the 9mm and 40 chamber area external dimensions are interchangeable.  Specifically note the chamber wall thickness on the left and right sides on the 40 compared to the 9mm. The same area that splits when the guns come apart.

Putting a 40, which is not just larger but far more powerful, in 9mm sized guns was and still is a bad idea. 40s run great in 45 sized guns. They blow 9mm sized guns.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
none of them have a "problem" with blowing up.  people who use overcharged rounds have problems with their glocks blowing up.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Aren't there incidents of factory ammo setting them off?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#9]
yes you can get the very rare overcharged factory round, my buddies colt AR got blown up by a bad winchester white box .223 round.  what started the huge KB! thing was old federal hydra shock .40 s&w ammo that was manufactured with a weak case design.  an owner of one of the gun shops here in town had one of those rounds go south in his glock 22, blew the extractor out of the gun, blew the mag out as well.  he found his extractor, put a new pin in, cleaned the magazine, and still shoots that pistol to this day.

it isnt a bad gun, it was bad ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]
with little to no supporting evidence, as your most commonly touted case you werent there to witness in person.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
with little to no supporting evidence, as your most commonly touted case you werent there to witness in person.

mine wasn't the only one. i have seen several go south. how about answering my question from above about aftermarket barrells? why no reports of issues with those yet what seem to be hundreds of issues with out of the box guns? serious question... no bullshit.

Unsupported chambers are the root cause, period.

BTW, I'm a Glock certified armorer.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a glock armorer a couple times over. How does an unsupported chamber cause a barrel to fragment?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm a glock armorer a couple times over. How does an unsupported chamber cause a barrel to fragment?

I'd have to see what you're talking about.  But if you're talking about the chamber area, that's where the gas pressure is escaping.  And when there is gas escaping downward, an upward force results, sometimes tearing the barrel up and out of the slide.

Most kb's result in a catastrophic separation between the slide and frame.  Crazy stuff happens in those circumstances.

Obviously this doesn't mean that other guns don't suffer catastrophic failures.  

All guns MUST fail at higher pressure.  The issue I believe we are talking about here is the tendency of Glocks to fail, largely due to the unsupported chambers of the .40 S&W.  My armorer class instructor couldn't explain why they haven't fixed the design yet.

I'm not bashing Glocks; I've got two myself - a 23 and a 32.  From an armorer's point of view, these things are awesome: Easy to diagnose and fix problems.

Edit for mentally retarded spelling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how about answering my question from above about aftermarket barrells? why no reports of issues with those yet what seem to be hundreds of issues with out of the box guns? serious question... no bullshit.

Here's a pic I found from another thread on the board:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/adairtd/22kb.jpg

.40S&W Glock, with an aftermarket barrel.

Looks like it went boom too.  My guess?  Bad ammo.

Wow, that needs not only the manufacturer of the barrel and pistol, but also a metallurgist to look that one over.

ETA: Oops, and honorable mention to the ammo manufacturer/re-loader.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
OK guys...stupid question here I'm sure. I keep hearing about this 'unsupported chamber' stuff with Glocks.

Two questions:

1. Why do they have unsupported chambers?

2. Why doesn't Glock change the design even if it's not a problem, just to increase sales?

Is there something in the basic design of a Glock that requires unsupported chambers?

(OK, so three questions)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OK guys...stupid question here I'm sure. I keep hearing about this 'unsupported chamber' stuff with Glocks.

Hey - you post stupid questions... I'll give you stupid answers.

To make them Perfect.

2. Why doesn't Glock change the design even if it's not a problem, just to increase sales?

See #1.  They are already perfect.  No changes necessary.

Is there something in the basic design of a Glock that requires unsupported chambers?

See #1.

(thanks for the champagne - we had it at New Years)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Two questions:

(OK, so three questions)

Yes, fully supported chambers can get dirty, and cause FTE's.  I've a Sigma 40 before, it's a copy of the Glock with a fully supported chamber.  The barrel will actually fit in a Glock 23 and fire but not reliably and not without taking a chance on messing up the Glock and the Smith barrel.  Anyway, it has a fully supported chamber and on range days it didn't take 150 rounds, even using winclean, to start getting FTE's from the dirt built up around the round.  Bad JuJu in real life, and on the range.  A chamber that's open just a another millimeter, like a Glock, doesn't have this issue.

Like a lot of things in the world of engineering, it's a trade off.  The unsupported chamber can have issues and possibly even the dreaded(if not often fabled) Kaboom.  WELL over 25k rounds in less than 7 months through my Glock22 (the king of KB's for 1911 guys) it's been perfect, not a single malfunction.  That speaks volumes to me.  Pics on the internet don't.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ok. So neither of the ones in circulation have blown up yet.  

I believe that.

viator
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Well if full supported chambers are so hard to keep clean, how do all the other manufacturer's pistols function then?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#26]
So when we say "unsupported chamber" are we talking about a missing section back near the cartridge head, or a fluted chamber similar to HK?

If a missing section near the head, why not take the HK approach to keep FTE's down?

Ed
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So when we say "unsupported chamber" are we talking about a missing section back near the cartridge head, or a fluted chamber similar to HK?

If a missing section near the head, why not take the HK approach to keep FTE's down?

Ed

It's HK's for one.  Copyright infringement is a bitch.  Ask Smith and Wesson.

Anyway.  As far as I'm concerned Glocks are the best handguns made.  Are they perfect? Not by a long shot.  Could they be improved easily? yes.  I could name several things from other firearms I'd love to see incorporated into a Glock to make it better.  But it'll never happen.

By un supported chamber it means that the chamber is about 1 millimeter in diameter bigger than the case.  Glock keeps ever part of the case except the rim covered.  Some other brands do not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]
So to sum up all of this it sounds like if I want a Glock and want to feel safe shooting it I should get a 9mm Glock -like a G19.

Sound about right?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So to sum up all of this it sounds like if I want a Glock and want to feel safe shooting it I should get a 9mm Glock -like a G19.

Sound about right?  

Not everyone would agree.

I have five Glocks: 2 G21s which fire the .45 ACP and 3 .40 caliber pistols, a G27, G23, and G22.

I have reloaded many thousands of rounds for them. I never worry about any of them.

I may get a wonder nine some day, but I’m in no hurry.

viator
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I shoot Glocks, I'm not bashing them just acknowledging the real problem that exist and trying to see them in perspective. They have been my primary carry guns for >12 years. That does not mean I can't see the problems in them, specifically in 40 and 45. In reference, I've also had three 1911s blow apart in my hands (all from double charges)

I carried a G23 for a long time immediately after they came out. (I was at Gunsite earning my E in 499, the week Cooper declared the 40 to be a "heavy duty handgun cartridge") I and the guys I work with, gave up on them after blowing 2 and destroying another 6 of them in less than 10,000 rounds each. Since then it's been 9mm all the way.

My experience is that HKs in 40 and 45 have had more case head failures and frames destroyed per guns in circulation than Glocks.

The real Kb, which is a barrel failure (caused by bad barrels, hot ammo, or a combo, we don't know) only has happened in Glock 40s in my experience.

Case head failures from double charges happen in all models and in the 40 and 45 usually destroys the frame. In 9mm it blows the mag out, and you can usually do a reload and keep firing if you want.

I've never had a case head failure with factory 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
WWB and other low cost options are premium factory ammo in comparison to the garbage I run through my Glocks (numerous Glocks). They seem to do just fine. If one blows up I'll get something else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Name another Brand that has more hand guns in circulation.  If you don't think it happens more, your crazy.  Of course it happens,  it happens with EVERY brand.  Get over it.

I don't know if it happens on other brands, but I will bet that there are just as many Sigs and Ruger P-series out there as Glocks.  I have yet to hear of the "POS" Ruger P-series going kaboom.  Not saying it hasn't happened, just don't hear about it.

Do you have sales figures to back up your "circulation" claim?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that.

viator

Probably as many or more P-series out there as there are Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
By un supported chamber it means that the chamber is about 1 millimeter in diameter bigger than the case.  Glock keeps ever part of the case except the rim covered.  Some other brands do not.

Wrong!  Unsupported chamber means that there is a small half-circle missing where the round feeds up from the mag.  

Also, ass backwards.  Glock IS the only one that I know of that uses an unsupported chamber.  Every OTHER brand keeps the case covered.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong!  Unsupported chamber means that there is a small half-circle missing where the round feeds up from the mag.  

Also, ass backwards.  Glock IS the only one that I know of that uses an unsupported chamber.  Every OTHER brand keeps the case covered.

Well then, I guess my glock is different, there is no half circle missing.  And yes, someone posted a pic of chambers from all the big gun manufacturers, and other ones did have un supported chambers as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then, I guess my glock is different, there is no half circle missing.  And yes, someone posted a pic of chambers from all the big gun manufacturers, and other ones did have un supported chambers as well.

Post a link to those pictures.  I just looked at my Sigs, Rugers, and HK and all are fully supported.

Your barrel must be aftermarket. It is not a huge complete half circle, it's part of a circle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
for the record i don't know of ANY semi auto pistol that has a fully supported chamber. the issue with glock is the degree to which they leave open. it is significantly bigger.

Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glock 17 KB, USA brand factory ammo
www.thegunzone.com/glock/g17-breaks.html

You might want to read that again.  That's hardly a kB!

And you can pretty much discount any problems involving AMERC ammo, because that ammo is complete crap that has blown up a TON of guns, of all brands and calibers.  My cousin had some .45ACP American Ammo (AMERC headstamp) at the range one time; bought at the gun show 'cause it was cheap.  I was able to squeeze the rounds between my fingers and cause severe bullet setback.  I've seen the same set-back problems in 9mm and 5.56mm.  AMERC brass is also among the worst in the world.

Just putting in some perspective.

-Troy

+1 Stay away from the American ammo.  By the way this is not the federal stuff its ok.  I tryed it in a new Colt H bar and it was key holeing so bad it was not funny.  I had just bought it at the range and they exchanged it and took what they had off the shelf.  Crap stuff period.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A SHTF handgun that needs premium factory ammo, thats too funny.

PREMIUM factory ammo?

Since when did Winchester White Box and other low cost ammo become PREMIUM?

Since people started using Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that.

viator

I find that amazing. I never would have guessed that.

Do you have links to support your claim that there are that many P series out there?

viator
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that.

viator

Do you have links to support your claim that there are that many P series out there?

viator

I'd like to see that myself.

I imagine some police agencies carried them.... I dunno.  I KNOW all the ones around me use Sigs and Glocks.  When I go to my ranges, I always see lots of glocks, they are everywhere.  I rearely ever see anyone with a P series ruger.  In fact, I only know one person who has one.  I know about 20 who shoot glocks.  Maybe I live in a small world.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Glock sells a TON of guns.  IIRC, current imports of Glock pistols exceeds 350,000 units per year, which is more than double Ruger, and half of Ruger's pistols are .22LRs.  

-Troy

These are the kind of figures that I thought would be roughly representative of the production of the two companies, Ruger and Glock.

But then, I don’t know where to find some hard numbers to establish this in a definitive manner.

I always see a bunch of Glocks at the range - and I don't mean in my own range bag. I can’t remember the last time that I saw a P series. But then, maybe I just travel in the wrong circles. There might be regions where everyone shoots P series and no one shoots Glocks.

viator
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock sells a TON of guns.  IIRC, current imports of Glock pistols exceeds 350,000 units per year, which is more than double Ruger, and half of Ruger's pistols are .22LRs.  

-Troy

These are the kind of figures that I thought would be roughly representative of the production of the two companies, Ruger and Glock.

But then, I don’t know where to find some hard numbers to establish this in a definitive manner.

I always see a bunch of Glocks at the range - and I don't mean in my own range bag. I can’t remember the last time that I saw a P series. But then, maybe I just travel in the wrong circles. There might be regions where everyone shoots P series and no one shoots Glocks.

viator

Brother had a p-94, got smart and got a Glock22 the day after I got one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i'd be willing to bet there are less than 1/10th the number of pseries out there.

if you want to compare similar number figure 1911's from various manufacturers. probably 1000 times the number of 1911's than all glocks combined given the last 100 years of production.

no gun is perfect. but some have some serious issues that people don't want to admit.

I'm pretty sure you'd be wrong.  Yeah, the 1911 has been around for a long time, but it wasn't actually in continuous production for much of the first 50 or so years; the US military bought them in spurts with many years in between contracts.  And the market for full-size/full-caliber (larger than .380) semi-autos was very, very small until the 80s compared to the market today.

Glock sells a TON of guns.  IIRC, current imports of Glock pistols exceeds 350,000 units per year, which is more than double Ruger, and half of Ruger's pistols are .22LRs.  If you think about it, 1911 models, in all calibers from all manufacturers, probably isn't more than 60,000 per year.  As an example, in 1998, Springfield made about 10,000 pistols and Kimber made 30,000.

-Troy

Please Troy - dont try and confuse us with facts.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that.

viator

viator

Dusty made the original claim about the number of Glocks and I asked for sales figures to back it up.  I still await those figures.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top