Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/17/2024 9:18:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR]
I drive faster than I should. I drive a big truck. Both of those probably do not help my complaint here. Yesterday, I was driving a few mph over the speed limit and a woman pulled out in front of me (mind you, there was nobody behind me within sight) and then went 4mph UNDER the speed limit. I was not uncomfortably close for me, but she kept hitting her brakes and eventually flipped me off.

Tailgating is *mostly* an issue for the person doing the tailgating. Any wreck is going to be deemed their fault from what I've always been told. They are the one having to keep a higher level of throttle/brake sensitivity as well as awareness. The slower, lane blocking driver controls the situation. Yes, there is the risk of being rear ended...but that will most likely be blamed on the following vehicle and a less important area of the lead vehicle would be damaged. Most likely a total for the tailgater. This isn't to mention MOST women's inability to visually measure distances. My wife will claim that I'm 6" from a wall, when it's more like 2'. That might be our fault, but it should be the opposite (she still thinks a 12" ruler isn't longer than her hand).

The act of a brake light flashing on a highway or interstate, god forbid brake checking, can work its way down miles of traffic. That act itself can cause wrecks. Brake checking can cause multi-vehicle wrecks and often leads to rollovers. In my opinion, driving slower than the flow of traffic can often be more dangerous than driving over the speed limit if the higher speed is with the flow of traffic.

I just don't get it. If someone is tailgating me in the left lane, I just get over as soon as I can. You don't know what is going on with that person....it could be an emergency or even unmarked police vehicle. Brake checking puts both of you at a much higher risk than someone "tailgating".

Rant over.  

Should have assumed I would have to post this- I'm not claiming to be a chronic tailgater. Also won't claim that I've never done it. I drive a heavy truck and have a 1yo with me often, so I generally try to not tailgate.
ETA- small PP truck
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Because this is America, and we like personal space.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:21:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cardboardkiller] [#2]
Because if you hit me it fucks up my life, wastes my time, and costs me money.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#3]
Brake checking someone is idiotic.

Tailgating someone is just as idiotic.

Sorry about your small peepee, but its a cool truck nevertheless.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Because people that dont do the speed limit are the pace cars for the highway they are on.

You have to follow their rules.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Just seen as aggressive and impatient and therefore rude.  

Got a stretch of road I commute on that’s 35mph.  Every so often you get stuck behind someone who must think its a 25 mph road.  Would it be rude to tailgate them and lay on the horn?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to ride my ass at least pull my hair.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]
somebody has to say it ...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The closer you get, the slower they go.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Creative brag thread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote

This. Something something when assholes collide
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]
You start tailgating me and I’ll slow down to 30 mph. I don’t give a fuck, I’ll make us both late.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedie] [#14]
Originally Posted By MattR:
I drive faster than I should. I drive a big truck. Both of those probably do not help my complaint here. Yesterday, I was driving a few mph over the speed limit and a woman pulled out in front of me (mind you, there was nobody behind me within sight) and then went 4mph UNDER the speed limit. I was not uncomfortably close for me, but she kept hitting her brakes and eventually flipped me off.

Tailgating is *mostly* an issue for the person doing the tailgating. Any wreck is going to be deemed their fault from what I've always been told. They are the one having to keep a higher level of throttle/brake sensitivity as well as awareness. The slower, lane blocking driver controls the situation. Yes, there is the risk of being rear ended...but that will most likely be blamed on the following vehicle and a less important area of the lead vehicle would be damaged. Most likely a total for the tailgater. This isn't to mention MOST women's inability to visually measure distances. My wife will claim that I'm 6" from a wall, when it's more like 2'. That might be our fault, but it should be the opposite (she still thinks a 12" ruler isn't longer than her hand).

The act of a brake light flashing on a highway or interstate, god forbid brake checking, can work its way down miles of traffic. That act itself can cause wrecks. Brake checking can cause multi-vehicle wrecks and often leads to rollovers. In my opinion, driving slower than the flow of traffic can often be more dangerous than driving over the speed limit if the higher speed is with the flow of traffic.

I just don't get it. If someone is tailgating me in the left lane, I just get over as soon as I can. You don't know what is going on with that person....it could be an emergency or even unmarked police vehicle. Brake checking puts both of you at a much higher risk than someone "tailgating".

Rant over.  

ETA- small PP truck
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276423/IMG_5748_jpeg-3190230.JPG
View Quote

Whew, that'll be a relief to the occupants of the car that you hit from behind and potentially send spinning into other traffic. It'll make the hospital trip(s), insurance BS, or possibly death, all the more palatable.

As long as the person that you're behind is passing slower traffic, it's not up to you to push them to drive as fast as you want to go. Leave 5 minutes earlier, or switch to decaf. You sound like a stroke waiting to happen.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Tailgating and brake checking are both stupid.  

What I don't understand are the people who tailgate me when there are 40 cars in front of me and we're all doing 80.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Rant over.  

ETA- small PP truck
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276423/IMG_5748_jpeg-3190230.JPG
View Quote

Because they're fucking assholes, are dangerous and cause wrecks.   It's dangerous for the person being tailgated also.  Fuck, those guys.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:
View Quote

This, in bold with flashing lights.  Because tailgaters often don't pay fucking attention to what's past the guy they're tailgating, and I don't want to get hit by their dumb ass.

That said, move over and let the idiot get away from you.  I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Yep.  And the left lane is for passing, almost everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:29:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#20]
They all think they are the black night from Monty Python - “none shall pass!”

Or Gandalf facing down the balrog - “you shall not pass!”

Even so, stop tailgating.  Don’t be an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Tailgaters lack a fundamental understanding of physics

And that annoys me
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
You start tailgating me and I’ll slow down to 30 mph. I don’t give a fuck, I’ll make us both late.
View Quote

This right here.  I'm not going to brake check someone and make it more dangerous.  But I will definitely incentivize them to get out of the way and stop blocking traffic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:31:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#23]
Intrusive thoughts tell me chuck a fist full of marbles out of my sun roof.

I dont do that, but damn do I want to.

If you drive a manual you can just down shift to slow down. They usually back off.

I love when tailgaters hit pot holes because they can't see fuck all in front of them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#24]
bottom line OP drives his bro dozer / extender like a dick and is surprised people treat him like red neck trash?

is that about it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Self entitled assholes that think they can do whatever they want without consequences.  For instance, that person pulling out in front of you and not making an attempt to even accelerate quickly up to the speed limit.  I've passed people like that, as soon as they pull out, (if conditions permit it) no matter what the lines identify as.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Tailgating and brake checking are both stupid.  

What I don't understand are the people who tailgate me when there are 40 cars in front of me and we're all doing 80.
View Quote

Well now that's not tailgating. That's drafting!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BPR:
Because this is America, and we like personal space.
View Quote

We go to Panama every year (family) and tailgating there is measured in inches rather than feet. Most drivers here would stroke out

View Quote

How many times has that occurred simply due to someone tailgating you?

View Quote

I can say that I honestly attempt to not tailgate, but it’s often not my fault. Story as above, drivers on their cell phones slowing down and then speeding up, etc. When I lived in Houston, it you didn’t drive fairly close to the person in front of you, people would speed up and then jump over. Then they would slam their brakes. Plenty of reasons why you could end up close to someone, but driving slower than the flow of traffic definitely leads to people being closer to you than just going with the flow
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I don’t know man I think people hate the zipper merge as much or more than tailgating or left lane camping. It’s mind numbing. There are a few legitimate and legal zipper lanes here and the road crews in NC close off lanes into a zipper lane. I’ll be cruising and I do practice zipper merging. The amount of people that try to box me in is insane. They don’t realize that people slamming on their brakes to get over early and them speeding up are only going to slow traffic down. I have plenty of room to get over without slowing down.  Now you have to get on your brakes and slow down because you have to avoid hitting the car in front of you. Instead of me getting over going 45 and you maintaining 40.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:34:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VeryAverage] [#29]
Exactly right. It will be your fault when I decide to lock my brakes up solid with no warning at 70mph.

Keep doing it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#30]
" Hey Arf AITA?"

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Think about all the drama you are creating for yourself over nothing.....

Also think about the concept of you punishing stangers for daring ro get in your way....
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Went to the Gulf one time from Tuscaloosa. Rode down in a '71 Chrysler LeBaron. Kid took his dune buggy down. Wanted me to ride with him on our return. On the way up it rained. Carb got wet. I dried it off but afterwards we could do no more than 40-45mph. Then the kid fell asleep so I had to drive. I figured out if I stayed close enough to an 18 wheeler I could draft him. If I lost him it was back to 45 until the next one came along. Kid was still snoozing when we arrived in T-town.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#33]
People drive too fast and tailgate for the same reasons. They're selfish and ignorant. Selfish because what they're doing is more important than the safety and smooth flow of traffic and ignorant to the fact that the extra speed will not make enough difference in arrival time to justify the risk of everyone sharing the road with you reaction time. Some people like to gamble but most people just haven't thought of all the variables.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

This.  But also, get out of the left lane if you are slow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Another win for stereotypes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't like being pushed, if there is room, I move over, otherwise they can FO and wait like me till it opens up.      Then there is the jackwad, that sits behind you riding your butt, weaving into the shoulder so he knows I see him.   Yeah I f'ing see you, do you see all the f'ing cars in front of me and next to me in the other lane. yeah you can FO also.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#37]
My windshield becomes incredibly dirty when I have a tailgater. Good thing I always keep my washer tank full to the tippy-top! I assume their windshield must be dirty too, because they always wash their windows immediately after I do.

Tailgating is a great way to show me that you both A: are much more important than me and my family; and number B: not so great at basic physic or laws of motion.

I don't stress them like I used to, I just get out of their way so they can bug somebody else. Hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
Because people that dont do the speed limit are the pace cars for the highway they are on.

You have to follow their rules.
View Quote

That’s why passing lanes are so nice. I hunt in South Texas and they are lifesavers

Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
Yep.

Add in the fact that billions of people are below average intelligence, and 87% are not as good at various tasks as they think they are.
View Quote

One thing I’ve noticed is that people that are going slow in the passing lane or the fast/slow/fast cycles are on their phones

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Funny how the tailgaters passing unsafely in and out of a long line of vehicles seem to put 100% faith that other people in that line of cars aren’t as big of assholes as they are, and that they will leave sufficient gaps for the tailgater to merge back in. As society descends further into madness, tailgaters might be in for some high velocity surprises.

Tailgaters suck. They put everyone’s lives in danger to satisfy their childish impatience.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:43:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#40]

We go to Panama every year (family) and tailgating there is measured in inches rather than feet. Most drivers here would stroke out

I can say that I honestly attempt to not tailgate, but it’s often not my fault. Story as above, drivers on their cell phones slowing down and then speeding up, etc. When I lived in Houston, it you didn’t drive fairly close to the person in front of you, people would speed up and then jump over. Then they would slam their brakes. Plenty of reasons why you could end up close to someone, but driving slower than the flow of traffic definitely leads to people being closer to you than just going with the flow
View Quote

Take some responsibility for your actions.

If someone is going slow in front of you:

A) That doesn't force you to tailgate against your will, and it IS your fault YOU are tailgating. It's not your fault they are going slow. Those are different things.

B) If they are oblivious to their speed because their head is elsewhere, do you think they're going to notice you tailgating them? Probably not, and that's just causing a hazard regardless of whether they do or not, because they may slam on their brakes inadvertently, they may slam on their brakes intentionally, or they may get over, which they may do even if you're following at a safer distance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#41]
OP one of these days you're going to run across the wrong hombre and they're going to sell you  the ass end of their car.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
View Quote

Why though? Why is someone who is attempting to go faster than you so upsetting, that you would be willing to be late to something over it?

Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Because if you're tailgating and the person in front of you throws out the anchor - deer, pedestrian, debris, whatever - you're not physically capable of responding quickly enough to not hit them.  

If you're behind me, especially in something like that, and you're 2-3 car lengths behind on a highway doing 70?  Ok, I guess I've got an asshole behind me.
If you're 1-2 car lengths behind me?  Ok, now you're pissing me off and you're endangering both of us.
If you're so close that I can't see your front tires?  Yeah, I'm probably going to do something to make you re-think your life choices.
View Quote

So in the small instance that Sasquatch jumps out in front of you, you’re willing to put that car and most likely other cars around you in a high risk of danger?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I only like getting rear-ended by my GF on the 3rd Thursday of every month, it hurts less than an auto accident and I only bleed for a couple of hours. The hospital isn't typically involved.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Do you stand on people's heels in a line too?  Back the fuck up, it's even free to do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Lmao no one tailgates me when I have this on the back

Im always given so much room

To be fair if it falls off Im just driving away anyways

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Once. The retard hit me as I braked for a stoplight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Creative brag thread.
View Quote

LoL…agree.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Tailgating is stupid.

When I am in a position where I cannot go faster, like far right lane in heavy traffic and I am being tailgated, I will take my foot off the gas and slowly lose speed until they pass or back off.

I have been tailgated while in the far right lane while driving the speed limit and when there is much more than ample room to go around me. Absolutely zero reason to tailgate other than being an asshole.

Normally it’s a German make.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#49]
It’s funny to watch people try to rationalize their own douchey driving behavior into them being the “good” driver in the situations they create.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:49:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dhmjr40] [#50]
People around here don't know about moving over to allow faster traffic through.  No one ain't got no time for that.   And yeah, brake checking is stupid.   But so is following someone that close at speed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top