Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should read the BMV regs/laws of the roadway again. I'm pretty sure it is forbidden to tailgate. You have to keep your distance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
My brother told me when driving his big rig he would just swerve a bit and let the trailer tires catch the gravel shoulder.

Tailgaters always seemed to back off when their car gets peppered with rocks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:50:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mattdoc] [#3]
On a normal road with 1 lane in each direction, typically 35/45mph speed limits, I have my own solution for tailgaters. I slow down until I feel that their following distance is appropriate for the speed we are traveling. It may be 10mph. They either 1) are now at a safe following distance or 2) illegally pass me. Either way, I am now safer than I was.

I don't want to get rear-ended and pushed into a telephone pole if a kid runs out in the road chasing a ball.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
You start tailgating me and I’ll slow down to 30 mph. I don’t give a fuck, I’ll make us both late.
View Quote

Yep.

I got all day. Do you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:
Because if you hit me it fucks up my life, wastes my time, and costs me money.
View Quote

Then, keep one eye on the road in front of you and one eye behind so you can move out of the lane and let faster traffic pass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, too many people seem to get a false sense of security from their big truck.

Do this at highway speeds and you better have you Dixie horn ready.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
Yep.

Add in the fact that billions of people are below average intelligence, and 87% are not as good at various tasks as they think they are.
View Quote

Well, there IS that…
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#8]
Pet peeve driving. The people that think if 60 is posted, 55 is safer. Ones that drive slow on solid line sections, then speed up on dotted passing zones. They can’t maintain speed because they are driving with some ankle biter lap dog, or more engaging their cell phone. New around here are the ones that will actually stop in the road to let a side road vehicle get on the main road.

Had a 50 to 0 instance yesterday. Old guy just walks across the road, not paying attention to anything. A tailgater would have pushed me into him.

I don’t brake check, but have flicked the emergency flashers momentarily while maintaining speed, which is usually between posted and +5 mph. This for the vehicles that are so close can’t even see their grill.

Been hit twice by tailgaters not paying attention. Same car, same town. They were low speed, but pay more attention to the signal light turning green than if the car in front of them is moving. Also an intersection that is notorious for running red lights and blind spots from buildings only 4 feet from the edge of the road.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Then, keep one eye on the road in front of you and one eye behind so you can move out of the lane and let faster traffic pass.
View Quote

When I’m on a single lane surface street doing 5 over the speed limit, I have no where to go. I don’t drive slow and I don’t left lane camp.

Tailgating doesn’t only happen on multi-lane roads and in the hammer lane. It also doesn’t only happen because someone is driving slow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#10]
To begin with, the beeyotch that pulled out in front of you is a beeyotch.  No doubt about that.  I loath self entitled shits like that and think they should all rot in Hell.

That being said, what did you accomplish?  If you're both doing X MPH, do you arrive at your destination any faster by following her at a 10 foot distance rather than a 100 foot distance???
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep.

Add in the fact that billions of people are below average intelligence, and 87% are not as good at various tasks as they think they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Because if you hit me  it fucks up my life, wastes my time, and costs me money.
Yep.

All of this. People are in such a hurry to get nowhere.  Oh you are running late? Not my fucking problem. Plan better.

My 18 year old bought a new to him F150 less than two weeks ago. Some non english speaking cocksucker blew a light, t-boned him and flipped his truck. No doubt in my mind it will get totaled and he will be shit out of luck. All because some other asshole drives like shit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Lot of left lane campers in this thread. Yall are the real assholes of the road.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StockDog] [#13]
It’s a fine line between which I’d ruder than the other.

I travel 40-50k per year in a company vehicle.  I try to be courteous and expect everyone else to be as well.  

I’ll move over if someone comes up behind me but I expect them to move on.  

My pet peeve is when I am in a string of cars in the left lane and passing traffic on the right.  I leave some following distance between me and the car in the left lane .  Inevitably some asshole rushes up on the right and crams himself in my following space.  He doesn’t get to go any faster, he’s just in front of me instead of behind me now.

Most people, including myself at times, are passive aggressive assholes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Tailgating is stupid, the slow driver in front of you is obviously impaired in some way, I like to keep my distance from impaired people.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If you have ever been hit from behind at a high rate of speed, you will hate tailgaters. I got rear-ended by a lowlife teenager with an ex-cruiser crown vic and no insurance. Didn’t disable me, but my back and right ankle have not been the same since.

My question is, what the fuck good does tailgating do? What the fuck are you trying to accomplish? Maybe you get there .5 seconds sooner?

Do the fucking math and get off my ass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Fafo
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Because no one else should have to "trust" in your reaction time, quality of workmanship in your vehicle, your walmart tires or Lurlene popping you in the jaw at highway speeds cause she found tities on your phone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:01:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#18]
If you’re tailgating me, you’re getting brake checked. Get off my ass. I’m going the speed limit or above and never lane camp. The Arby’s drive-thru can wait 35 seconds, fat ass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Because if you're tailgating and the person in front of you throws out the anchor - deer, pedestrian, debris, whatever - you're not physically capable of responding quickly enough to not hit them.  

If you're behind me, especially in something like that, and you're 2-3 car lengths behind on a highway doing 70?  Ok, I guess I've got an asshole behind me.
If you're 1-2 car lengths behind me?  Ok, now you're pissing me off and you're endangering both of us.
If you're so close that I can't see your front tires?  Yeah, I'm probably going to do something to make you re-think your life choices.
View Quote
Have you ever tried getting out of the passing lane?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I tailgate a little too close sometimes, but don't ride up their ass.
Usually goes something like this. I'm  the only car on a 2 lane blacktop and some retard is in a big hurry to pull out in front of me.
Not a big enough  hurry to step on the fucking  gas so I don't  need to brake, and not in big enough of a hurry to go the speed limit, just in a hurry to pull out in front of me.
Usually,  of course  after pausing 5-10 seconds so I can get closer before they pull out.

I don't  like tailgating, but I follow them a little too closely when I'm  ready to pass. THEN they ARE in a hurry and are on my ass doing  10 over by the time I cut back into the right lane. People  are stupid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Tailgating is stupid.

When I am in a position where I cannot go faster, like far right lane in heavy traffic and I am being tailgated, I will take my foot off the gas and slowly lose speed until they pass or back off.

I have been tailgated while in the far right lane while driving the speed limit and when there is much more than ample room to go around me. Absolutely zero reason to tailgate other than being an asshole.

Normally it’s a German make.
View Quote

People that do it when there is low traffic and plenty of space are either:
1. Low IQ individuals, and are just following pack mentality. or
2. They are fucking around on their phone, which I know is just repeating #1.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:04:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR] [#22]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Creative brag thread.
View Quote

My last truck was way cooler (to me) than this dad truck
Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By Speedie:

Whew, that'll be a relief to the occupants of the car that you hit from behind and potentially send spinning into other traffic. It'll make the hospital trip(s), insurance BS, or possibly death, all the more palatable.

As long as the person that you're behind is passing slower traffic, it's not up to you to push them to drive as fast as you want to go. Leave 5 minutes earlier, or switch to decaf. You sound like a stroke waiting to happen.

View Quote

The only thing that will cause me to have a stroke is the crazy font colors you’re posting in.

Yes.

You and I aren't important enough that the extra 1.37 minutes added to the trip matters.

The hostage resue to get the nun, who happens to be an organ courier packing little Timmy's heart, can wait another 2 minutes

View Quote

To be fair, the only nun I’ve known drove like a bat out of hell
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By spud:
Lot of left lane campers in this thread. Yall are the real assholes of the road.
View Quote

Left lane campers and tailgaters have much in common. Either obliviousness, a sense of entitlement (You’re going fast ENOUGH!), stupidity, or overly aggressive tendencies. Often they become so accustomed to their behavior that they’re no longer even aware of it.

In northern NV, both groups tend to come from CA.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

The people that don’t realize tailgating isn’t confined to the interstate are retards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#25]
It's all relative.

Tailgaters are assholes, but that doesn't mean that they are bigger assholes than anyone else.

In OP scenario, both parties are assholes but the other party is the larger asshole.

OP, I consider the following my theme music - you should as well.

Denis Leary - Asshole (Official Uncensored Version)
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Because tailgaters are literally putting my life and health at risk because they want to go a few mph faster.

Screw tailgaters.

Go around.

Or have patience to wait 180 seconds or so for traffic to change and give you space to go around so you can add 5 mph to your speed.

My favorite experience is to get tailgated by an aggressive driver who weaves in and out of traffic and goes fast.

Then a few miles down the road at the next stoplight or stop sign, I am directly behind the aggressive meathead whose aggressive driving has put him about 15 feet ahead of me.

Put my life at risk to gain 15 feet of space in the course of miles.

Screw tailgaters.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#27]

The people that don’t realize tailgating isn’t confined to the interstate are retards.
View Quote

Oh I'm not defending anyone or saying that.

Just pointing out the not so obvious.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

What about the cyclists?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

And no one likes a person who rides their ass
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SoundFX:

Left lane campers and tailgaters have much in common. Either obliviousness, a sense of entitlement (You’re going fast ENOUGH!), stupidity, or overly aggressive tendencies. Often they become so accustomed to their behavior that they’re no longer even aware of it.

In northern NV, both groups tend to come from CA.
View Quote

Agreed. Both are terrible drivers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Deer.

GTFO my ass you fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Because you don’t get to force people out of your way just by being there.   It’s worse than line cutting, or shoving your way through a crowd, because you’re doing it with enough mass and velocity to kill a bunch of people.  

Sure, it’s fun pretending to be a bad-ass, but you need to remind yourself, that there are a good many people on the road, who already decided it’s a good day to die. They are just waiting for an asshole to give them the excuse they need.

Alternatively, there are people looking for a good Lawsuit.   And, you’re probably on video.      You really should know better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#33]
You drive faster than you should?  Your vehicle has more mass than average?  Your bumper sits higher than average?  You know you are following too closely?

And you think this is more of a problem for you than the person you hit?

Because insurance?  Insurance may not put back together what's about to happen.

The woman probably didn't pay attention to her speed when passing.  She slowed after passing to stay under the speed limit, maybe at the apparent limit when considering speedometer gain.  And now you are following too closely?  Back off or pass.  It's that simple.

To follow too closely, knowing an accident is more likely, but with the mindset of "insurance will cover it" is arguably reckless indifference.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

These responses always make me

Are all of the roads around you 4 lanes?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spud] [#35]
Originally Posted By pedaler:

What about the cyclists?
View Quote

They disregard safety in the most crazy way possible and it's my responsibility to not kill them?

Safe cyclist don't bother me at all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:11:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR] [#36]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Tailgating and brake checking are both stupid.  

What I don't understand are the people who tailgate me when there are 40 cars in front of me and we're all doing 80.
View Quote

This is often what I felt like I experienced when I lived in Texas. People would be on my ass, but I would be in a line of 20 cars all because of one 18wheeler choosing to see how close he can get in speed to the truck he is passing, but still make headway.
Originally Posted By jhereg:

Because they're fucking assholes, are dangerous and cause wrecks.   It's dangerous for the person being tailgated also.  Fuck, those guys.

View Quote

While I'm not claiming there is NO danger to the person being tailgated...most of the danger falls with the person doing the tailgaiting.

Originally Posted By Wineraner:

This, in bold with flashing lights.  Because tailgaters often don't pay fucking attention to what's past the guy they're tailgating, and I don't want to get hit by their dumb ass.

That said, move over and let the idiot get away from you.  I do it all the time.
View Quote

Exactly. Why actively TRY and cause a wreck by flashing brake lights or brake checking when you can just get over. It costs you about 2 calories to turn the blinker on and change lanes.

As I said, I just let them pass. Why put yourself and even more people around you at a risk by slowing down and obstructing traffic flow or brake checking?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Are you fucking serious, OP? Why would someone care that an impatient dildo is putting their property, convenience, and safety at risk, when, in the end, after a bunch of hassle, in theory, said dildo will pay for a portion of the trouble caused? Gee. I can't imagine why that would bother someone.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#38]

When I’m on a single lane surface street doing 5 over the speed limit, I have no where to go. I don’t drive slow and I don’t left lane camp.

Tailgating doesn’t only happen on multi-lane roads and in the hammer lane. It also doesn’t only happen because someone is driving slow.
View Quote

Sorry, my quote wasn’t directed at you. Just a thought that came up when I was reading your post.

On topic: I try not to be a dick and I try to assume others aren’t dicks. Sometime I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By rhill:
Because tailgaters are literally putting my life and health at risk because they want to go a few mph faster.

Screw tailgaters.

Go around.

Or have patience to wait 180 seconds or so for traffic to change and give you space to go around so you can add 5 mph to your speed.

My favorite experience is to get tailgated by an aggressive driver who weaves in and out of traffic and goes fast.

Then a few miles down the road at the next stoplight or stop sign, I am directly behind the aggressive meathead whose aggressive driving has put him about 15 feet ahead of me.

Put my life at risk to gain 15 feet of space in the course of miles.

Screw tailgaters.

View Quote

I see this a lot around here. 3 lane surface streets, 45 mph on all of them and people start tailgating and aggressively weaving through traffic. They get nowhere except a car or two ahead at the next light.

I always wonder how much driving like that costs them a year in gas and how long their brake pads last.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:15:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#40]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

These responses always make me

Are all of the roads around you 4 lanes?
View Quote

Yep. Pretty much.

ETA: My state says NC but, I spend most of my time in SW FL. Unless you’re in a neighborhood in my city, you’re on a two or more lane divided road. Up in the mountains of NC, I’ll pull over if I’m holding someone up. A lot of time I’m hauling my elderly dog and I just can’t speed up because he just can’t keep his balance. I know I can’t go fast on the twisties. I don’t mind pulling over. On multi lane roads, I’ll get out of the way—I’ll stay right except to pass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Tailgaters might want to rethink how close they get.
Had the "smart" cruise on (adaptive cruise) and a car pulled onto the 2 lane state road and went to the left lane. Had enough time to pull out but as I got close to where they pulled out the "smart" cruise braked hard even though the other car was in the left lane.
Tailgater behind me appeared surprised at the sharp braking action as was I. Moral is - if you're going to tailgate be prepared for the car to brake for no real reason. And the car didn't come with an option to use non "smart" cruise.
Hoping all the car manufacturers who keep putting this nanny state shit on the cars all go bankrupt and have to become extremely low paid whores to survive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

Yep.  And the left lane is for passing, almost everywhere.
View Quote

Yes it is.  If you are going slow in the fast lane it's breaking the law.

Much like speeding is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By fike:
Another win for stereotypes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BPR:
Because this is America, and we like personal space.
View Quote

This.

I spent about 4 months in Brazil over the last year or so. The way they drive there... Americans would absolutely lose their shit! They drive very close, cut in, turn from lanes that are not turning lanes... but it's normal and people don't seem to get angry about it. I think it's because they're all just trying to get where they are going.

We Americans are too pissy about OUR space. That's MY lane, how DARE you get in front of me?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#46]
My pintle hitch usually keeps retards off my back bumper. If not I push the exhaust brake and tow haul buttons.  That usually works to remind them that the pintle hitch is ready and willing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:19:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#47]
Originally Posted By CharlesUFina:
The closer you get, the slower they go.
View Quote

When some asshole comes up behind me and tailgates, I pull over at the earliest opportunity and let them pass. If I can't pull over, I slow down. Why? So that I have more reaction time if something happens in front of me. The last thing I want to do is have to make a panic stop and have the asshole behind me crash into me. Slowing down gives me the ability to gradually slow so that the asshole doesn't hit me.

One of the biggest keys to safe driving is keeping an appropriate buffer zone between you and the car in front of you. Tailgaters are just terrible drivers who never learned this basic lesson. If the traffic is so bunched up that nobody has a clear lane there is absolutely no reason to ride the bumper in front of you. Everybody is going to same speed and everybody is going to arrive at basically the same time. How about doing us all a favor and back the fuck off?

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I couldn't care less what's going on behind me, unless I'm backing up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Citadel:
bottom line OP drives his bro dozer / extender like a dick and is surprised people treat him like red neck trash?

is that about it?
View Quote

Not really. This thing doesn't stop too fast and I have a 1yo. I don't purposefully tailgate but it happens sometimes.

Another reason that made me think of this is because of a mass casualty we had. From the story I was told, someone hard brake checked a "tailgater" and caused a multicar pileup, including fatalities. All of that to teach that dirty tailgater a lesson.

Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
I don’t know man I think people hate the zipper merge as much or more than tailgating or left lane camping. It’s mind numbing. There are a few legitimate and legal zipper lanes here and the road crews in NC close off lanes into a zipper lane. I’ll be cruising and I do practice zipper merging. The amount of people that try to box me in is insane. They don’t realize that people slamming on their brakes to get over early and them speeding up are only going to slow traffic down. I have plenty of room to get over without slowing down.  Now you have to get on your brakes and slow down because you have to avoid hitting the car in front of you. Instead of me getting over going 45 and you maintaining 40.
View Quote

Jesus, don't bring up the zipper merge. Despite most states encouraging it and the fact that it actually increases traffic flow through merging areas...people willingly wreck their vehicles into other people to make sure they don't gain one extra car length's space in line. You're really going to hurt some feelings there.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Look at muh big truck gaize!
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top