BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2024 3:53:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lomshek]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#1]
Do it. Just the regular hybrid not the PHEV.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought they still made the ICE, why not just go that route?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
We love the RAV4 hybrid. It gets 40 mpg, has great handling and pickup. We have a Honda odyssey and the rav doesn't have the same carrying capacity inside, however. Those bikes won't fit like they did your van.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My parents and in laws have RAV4 hybrids and love them.

We're strongly considering getting one as my wife's commuter car.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lug1:
View Quote

The extra 30 HP equivalent the electric motor adds is a must in my opinion. When buying one for my wife I found the ICE to be slow at accelerating and felt under powered. The hybrid has a bit more acceleration, still feels under powered but not as bad.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
My folks have had one for 4 years now, and it's been flawless.  They love the thing and the mileage is superb.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife loves her’s, only had it a few months. I’m a little jealous of her mileage- she’s getting 36-37 MPG compared to low 20s in my Maverick Tremor. (Obviously different animals)

Has some decent acceleration. Only 2,000 miles but their track record is good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:

The extra 30 HP equivalent the electric motor adds is a must in my opinion. When buying one for my wife I found the ICE to be slow at accelerating and felt under powered. The hybrid has a bit more acceleration, still feels under powered but not as bad.

View Quote

I test drove both, I agree 100%.  bought the hybrid.
Hard to find the plug in version, and I'm not sure you'd want to since the $7500 tax thing went away.

If you want a bigger version, get the Sienna if you can find one in your area.  I get almost the same mileage in both.  Sienna can be had in AWD as well.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Never had that problem.  Have been through 4 with my kids.  Its a RAV4, I don't expect performance acceleration.  

Electric vehicles are evil.  Hybrids are just slightly better.  Internal combustion engine for American winning.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GAcop] [#11]
My daughter just got a 2024 XLE about a month ago and she loves it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two Rav4’s, a 2020 XSE Premium and a 2022 XSE Premium but neither are hybrid.   We live in a rural area and 75 % of our driving is highway and we get 30-35 MPG depending on weather.    Entire city driving I get 22-25 MPG which is rare I drive in the city that much.  I didn’t want the extra complexity of the hybrid system but I’m old school.   I usually drive in the Eco setting but in regular mode I think the Rav4 is quick enough and is safe to pass at highway speeds.

My 2020 Rav4 has about 80,000 miles, my 2022 has 21,000 miles.   Only real issue is on the 2020 in freezing weather the electric rear hatch fails which is a common issue, still not yet resolved to my knowledge.   The 2020 door lock actuator on drivers door has intermittent issue where it won’t unlock.   I hate the stop start feature and wife and I usually push the deactivate stop start button on the dash close to the gear selector.    I just had the 2020 serviced and the rear brake pads replaced.   I’m on my first set of tires (after original set) on the 2020 with 40.000 + miles on Michelin tires and they look like they’ll last 10,000 or more miles.

My Daughter has a 2014Odyssey and it gets a work out.  It has 130,000 miles and has been pretty reliable and has enough room for their family of six.   I like the way my Rav4 drives compared to her Odyssey but it isn’t bad.   If you don’t need the room I think the Rav4 are good smaller SUV.  I had two Ford Escapes prior to Rav4 and a Friend has an Equinox.   Another Friend had a CRV and I like the Rav4 best compared to those small SUV’s
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought a 2024 rav4 awd hybrid for my company.  It's slow as balls but it works good, no issues so far.  Great fuel consumption, perfect for my sales staff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Have a 2022 and a 2024 XLE

The difference in MPG with a highbred is min because I dont drive many places that is under 45 MPH

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
My new commute was 50 miles a day round trip, and my 2020 Tundra at 15mpg wasn't going to work anymore. I traded it for a 2023 woodland edition rav4 hybrid and I've really liked it so far. The new commute is a perfect mix of 4 lane divided highway and city streets so I get 44-47 mpg consistently. The ride is quiet and it doesn't feel cheaply made. So far I'm happy and the fuel savings was so great I can save for batteries or whatever and still be ahead.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#16]
Wife has had one for 3 months now.  Love it!  Had 2 hybrid camry's before it, just too low to the ground and inept on gravel roads with snow.  She gets around 35 mpg due to her lead foot.  Hard part was finding one, started looking in September, bought the end of December.  Too many different trim models!  Back axle is totally electric drive, no drive shaft or transfer case.  Should mean you don't have to replace all 4 tires when one goes bad.  Rav4 has a noisemaker for ev mode, much louder in reverse, sounds like an alien space ship, Camry's never had that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
Have a 2022 and a 2024 XLE

The difference in MPG with a highbred is min because I dont drive many places that is under 45 MPH

View Quote

We are in BFE, wife runs 80 on interstate, very little town driving.  Her 2 gas Camry's got 10 mpg less than her 2 hybrid ones.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]
The wife has a Rav4 hybrid. She loves it. Great gas mileage. Pretty roomy.  The sound while it's in reverse is really odd.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife got one, she likes it a lot, it is her second Rav4
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#22]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
@LittlePony

Any hybrid KIA SUV's worth looking at that are going to get me close to 40mpg?
View Quote

if you can find one and that can be hard being such a hot limited item, Sorento Hybrids are nice.

in some years we are looking at getting a sportage hybrid ourselves
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
The 2.5 NA RAV4 will last longer than the hybrid.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Wife has a 2022 RAV 4 Hybrid Limited, it's great.   Mileage averages 40 mpg, plenty of room and it has all the extras.   When I drive it I stick it in Sport mode, which she hates.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a 2021 Hybrid Limited. Has been great so far. Average is 40.3mpg in near 100% city driving.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:32:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#26]
One of the concerns on the XA50 Hybrid (less so but possible on the Prime and reported on some other Toyota Hybrids) is that in areas where there's significant road salt usage, the rear electric motor (MGR ) cable can corrode. The cable connection was redesigned with part number successions some time in Model Year '21.

Initial Tech Tip below

Attachment Attached File

Subsequent Check Procedure and Remedy:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10230382-9999.pdf

There's been some proposed class actions but I'm unsure if they are certified. Looks like discovery was due 3/14/24 and pre trial in June. It's an expensive part, It wouldn't dissuade me from buying a Rav4 Hybrid, but prior to MY '23, I would check the connection for corrosion and give the area attention if I lived in an area road salt was used.

In general Toyota Hybrid System equipped vehicles are relatively durable (specifically, there's 200k RAV 4 Hybrids regularly) and very reliable. More complexity than non-hybrids but Prius Taxi's put up huge miles without much issue over a number of different gens. Toyota is pretty solid here so I'd buy Hybrid or Non due to preference, not concern - with the caveat above.

There is this example for sale currently on AutoTrader

Attachment Attached File

Posted regularly on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4club/comments/13qk0fb/my_2020_toyota_rav4_hyrbid_xse_reached_400000/
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a rav4 and it is going to be a lot smaller inside than the odyssey.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife loved her ICE RAV4 and loves her hybrid Highlander even more.  It’s very hard to go wrong with a hybrid Toyota imho.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#31]

How they heck does a normal person put over a hundred thousand miles a year on a vehicle!

I drove a semi over the road and did about 100k annually.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacrity:
One of the concerns on the XA50 Hybrid (less so but possible on the Prime and reported on some other Toyota Hybrids) is that in areas where there's significant road salt usage, the rear electric motor (MGR ) cable can corrode. The cable connection was redesigned with part number successions some time in Model Year '21.

Initial Tech Tip below

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1406_jpeg-3169722.JPG

Subsequent Check Procedure and Remedy:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10230382-9999.pdf

There's been some proposed class actions but I'm unsure if they are certified. Looks like discovery was due 3/14/24 and pre trial in June. It's an expensive part, It wouldn't dissuade me from buying a Rav4 Hybrid, but prior to MY '23, I would check the connection for corrosion and give the area attention if I lived in an area road salt was used.

In general Toyota Hybrid System equipped vehicles are relatively durable (specifically, there's 200k RAV 4 Hybrids regularly) and very reliable. More complexity than non-hybrids but Prius Taxi's put up huge miles without much issue over a number of different gens. Toyota is pretty solid here so I'd buy Hybrid or Non due to preference, not concern - with the caveat above.

There is this example for sale currently on AutoTrader

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1407_jpeg-3169727.JPG

Posted regularly on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4club/comments/13qk0fb/my_2020_toyota_rav4_hyrbid_xse_reached_400000/

How they heck does a normal person put over a hundred thousand miles a year on a vehicle!

I drove a semi over the road and did about 100k annually.

If you read  the threads - he's a medical courier. HTF does he put that kind of miles on tho? Dunno.

It's not a data point, but an anecdote. Still when first achieves, everyone knows it's possible.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Never had that problem.  Have been through 4 with my kids.  Its a RAV4, I don't expect performance acceleration.  

Electric vehicles are evil.  Hybrids are just slightly better.  Internal combustion engine for American winning.  YMMV.
View All Quotes

My 2011 RAV4 has the V6 that they offered, I believe, for only 2 years.   It rips !
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone have a CR-V hybrid that could compare to the Rav4? I’m currently shopping
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#34]
View Quote

RAV4 hybrid *is* ICE, with an additional electric motors that can offer additional assist when needed.  One of the motors does triple-duty, it starts the ICE engine, acts as a generator to charge the high-voltage battery that powers the main drive electric motor, AND acts as a CVT to adjust the gear ratios between the ICE and electric drive motor.   All gears and motors, no pulleys or belts.

Understanding the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The Toyota Rav4 and the Mazda CX5 are the best vehicles in that segment.

With the Rav4 hybrid, you're improving efficiency by about 25% or so, and you're chopping a second off your 0-60 time, but you're potentially setting yourself up for an expensive battery replacement down the road. Make the appropriate business decision there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Anyone have a CR-V hybrid that could compare to the Rav4? I’m currently shopping
View Quote

Two different hybrid system types. Alacrity could probably speak better on the differences.

The CR-V has a considerably higher torque number 247 lb-ft vs 163 lb-ft.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Honda today isn't what it used to be. Their quality and reliability have dropped off pretty hard.

The 1.5L turbo is a turd, and the J35 V6 seems to only get worse with "updates."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:21:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#39]
Originally Posted By fike:

Two different hybrid system types. Alacrity could probably speak better on the differences.

View All Quotes
Anyone have a CR-V hybrid that could compare to the Rav4? I'm currently shopping

CRV uses the same updated Two Motor Hybrid System the Accord has. With Honda you are trim constrained - CRV Sport, new for '24 Sport-L and Sport Touring get the Hybrid Drivetrain You point out the important difference. RAV4's  Dynamic Force THS II /HSD is a bit light on torque, tho I thinks theres little difference in perf, CRV feels more relaxed getting it done if that makes sense.

C&D (prolly Caperella) will have feature comparison out soon.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-1503019bd8a757ea08267d7944378955-honda-two-motor-hybrid-electric-system

@Kanati is our Honda guy.

I agree with GenYRevolverGuy, there's been a drop, tho I'm not sure I'm as concerned. A few threads we've had recently and anecdotes I've heard give much more concern with Korea Motors tho. Not that there hasn't been reason for concern previously, but given the various reports of warranty denials that appear should be covered under various engine failure settlements/extensions, it's more worrisome. The risk of catastrophic engine failure is well known - the conduct previous has been punished by record  NHSTA fines but there still seems to be issues when owners seek redress. The KM Large SUV Lambda engine and platforms have been relatively solid despite a number of recalls (not uncommon) - still given the issues the brands have here and with massive theft issues, I'm no longer a buy one guy. When NHSTA awards big money to a interior engineer who brought the avoidance to public notice, it's a problem.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nhtsa-whistleblower-program-24-million-award-hyundai-kia/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Kia-problems/5-2708825/

FWIW Korea Motors Large SUV get a significant model change soon, likely '25 that should include a Hybrid power-train.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#40]

CRV uses the same updated Two Motor Hybrid System the Accord has. With Honda you are trim constrained - CRV Sport, new for '24 Sport-L and Sport Touring get the Hybrid Drivetrain You point out the important difference. RAV4's  Dynamic Force THS II /HSD is a bit light on torque, tho I thinks theres little difference in perf, CRV feels more relaxed getting it done if that makes sense.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-automobiles/releases/release-1503019bd8a757ea08267d7944378955-honda-two-motor-hybrid-electric-system

I agree with GenYRevolverGuy, there's been a drop, tho I'm not sure I'm as concerned. A few threads we've had recently and anecdotes I've heard give much more concern with Korea Motors tho. Not that there hasn't been reason for concern previously, but given the various reports of warranty denials that appear should be covered under various engine failure settlements/extensions, it's more worrisome. The risk of catastrophic engine failure is well known - the conduct previous has been punished by record  NHSTA fines but there still seems to be issues when owners seek redress. The KM Large SUV Lambda engine and platforms have been relatively solid despite a number of recalls (not uncommon) - still given the issues the brands have here and with massive theft issues, I'm no longer a buy one guy. When NHSTA awards big money to a interior engineer who brought the avoidance to public notice, it's a problem.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nhtsa-whistleblower-program-24-million-award-hyundai-kia/

FWIW Korea Motors Large SUV get a significant model change soon, likely '25 that should include a Hybrid power-train.

View Quote

Thing I can note on the Korean side of things when it applies to our hybrid vehicles is that they have different engines compared to the standard models.

Whether it is gamma or kappa they are near bullet proof, they don't have any of the connecting rod bearing issues that the Theta is known for.

If we put the 1.6 gamma Turbo in everything we would have avoided so many issues.

@Alacrity
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#41]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Thing I can note on the Korean side of things when it applies to our hybrid vehicles is that they have different engines compared to the standard models.

Whether it is gamma or kappa they are near bullet proof, they don't have any of the connecting rod bearing issues that the Theta is known for.

If we put the 1.6 gamma Turbo in everything we would have avoided so many issues.

@Alacrity
View All Quotes

@Alacrity

I realize the new systems are better, but these were included in the E2 settlement

2011 2016 Optima Hybrid (HEV) Theta II 2.4L MPI Hybrid
2017 2020 Optima Hybrid (HEV/PHEV) Nu 2.0L GDI Hybrid

My concern is less the mechanical systems and more the process of customer service. Shit happens, and even when a Korea Motors engine went tits up, I wasn't entirely critical as I felt KM would remedy in goodwill. I no longer believe this is true with high confidence,  as it's been demonstrably proven.

That said the Lambdas have been relatively solid, so the Large SUVs (are they both K2s models #?) are less of an exposure. With all the issues tho I just no longer feel the juice it worth the squeeze. But I understand your point, and respect your position and passion immensely.

@LittlePony

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#42]
What about the Corolla Cross? It seems to be a smaller RAV4.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

2024 RAV4 Hybrid combined torque output is 252lb-ft.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiShooter] [#44]
We bought a 2024 RAV4 XLE Hybrid 2 months ago.  My wife and I have been very happy with it. We have been getting close to 40 MPG. I put a a two inch receiver on it for my two bike 1UP. The carrying capacity is not that good, nor does it have high clearance, but it’s not that big of a deal for us as we have a Tundra Crew Max for off road, towing and hauling stuff.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DrPerceptron:

View All Quotes

News to me. Where are you seeing that?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Toyota dosen't publish it but several outlets have. The gas engine by itself produces a maximum of 163 lb-ft. Link I own one and can tell you that it has a lot more than 163 lb-ft combined.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Toyota dosen't publish it but several outlets have. The gas engine by itself produces a maximum of 163 lb-ft. Link I own one and can tell you that it has a lot more than 163 lb-ft combined.
View All Quotes

I’m not surprised to hear it. 163 lb-ft seems low in the application. Really strange that Toyota doesn’t publish the combined, but it probably doesn’t matter much.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#48]

View All Quotes

Toyota official communications on net torque from Canada

The 2024 RAV4 family also includes eight hybrid grades, showcasing Toyota's hybrid technology. This efficient powertrain features a 2.5L Dynamic Force 4-cylinder engine, high-torque motor-generators, continuously variable transmission, and efficient storage batteries. The result is 219 net system horsepower and 221 lb-ft of torque  for fast, confident acceleration, impressive fuel efficiency, and no need to plug in. All RAV4 Hybrid models ride on an electronic on-demand all wheel drive system featuring a dedicated electric motor at each wheel to channel torque where it's neede

The 163 and some other figures are probably due to picking up only the ICE component torque. TMNA likely doesn't publish combined torque numbers due to SAE J1349 Certified Power Engine Rating Standard, as there's some issue with how combined calcs should work. Fike I thought  you were quoting thr A25A-FKS torque portion.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#49]

I realize the new systems are better, but these were included in the E2 settlement

My concern is less the mechanical systems and more the process of customer service. Shit happens, and even when a Korea Motors engine went tits up, I wasn't entirely critical as I felt KM would remedy in goodwill. I no longer believe this is true with high confidence,  as it's been demonstrably proven.

That said the Lambdas have been relatively solid, so the Large SUVs (are they both K2s models #?) are less of an exposure. With all the issues tho I just no longer feel the juice it worth the squeeze. But I understand your point, and respect your position and passion immensely.

@LittlePony

View Quote

Nice to see you care about my imput
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#50]

View All Quotes

@LittlePony

There's many commendable here, but I tend to care more when I see demonstrated knowledge and ability. For a gun board, there's a surprising amount of automotive knowledge and expertise, arcane to specific.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top