Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/24/2024 7:49:46 AM EDT
I bought a pre-owned 2018 Kia Soul from a dealership a couple of years ago for my daughter. It's been great up until 3 weeks ago.
Her check engine light came on and it lost power. We had it towed to the Kia dealership and they discovered that the catalytic converter just fell apart. The car has 68k miles, but the catalytic is covered up to 80k. Great! I still paid $1500 for issues created by said catalytic implosion. 2 weeks later, it's done and ready for pick up. My daughter drives it home but says it has no power again and the check engine light is back. Dealership tows it back. They replace a knock sensor, but it fails the test drive. Kia Techline opened up on it and they replace the knock sensor 2 more times, but it keeps failing. Techline now says there's nothing more to do. Dealership says they can't move forward with anything else.  They basically are saying, "we can't fix it... come get your car".
What the fuck, Kia?

I'm not sure what my options are at this point.
Is LittlePony still around???
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I fail to see how a catalytic converter causes a car to lose power. But I’m not familiar with these new shitty cars.

Has anyone thought to check the alternator? Fuel pump? Associated electronics? MAF or similar will cause a car to just shut off. Fuel pressure regulator. It’s not that hard, air, fuel, spark.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you need to do the @LittlePony thing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you need to do the @LittlePony thing.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I fail to see how a catalytic converter causes a car to lose power. But I’m not familiar with these new shitty cars.

Has anyone thought to check the alternator? Fuel pump? Associated electronics? MAF or similar will cause a car to just shut off. Fuel pressure regulator. It’s not that hard, air, fuel, spark.
View Quote

The problem is, as I understand it, once they go to Techline they do what they say and nothing more.
I've told them that it's acting like the exhaust is plugged.
I'm not sure if they checked it downstream of the imploded catalytic. In my limited understanding,  I would think that if the car can't breathe, it would cause power loss AND continued knock sensor failure... but what do I know?
When I suggested this, the Kia service writer just kept telling me that they can't do anything unless their Techline tells them to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Disconnect everything downstream from the cat and see if it still has no power?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
At least the engine didn't disassemble itself in the interstate like my wife's optima did
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
My old neon would have no power limp when camshaft position sensor failed
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a Toyota.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Kia is fucking trash
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#10]

I would get under the car and see if they actually replaced the cat like they said. A lot of shady ass dealers charge for stuff that they don't do. Never trust them.

Next check the muffler to see if it's plugged up with chunks of cat. Check the resonator too.

Do you have a code scanner? If so, post the codes it is showing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would get under the car and see if they actually replaced the cat like they said. A lot of shady ass dealers charge for stuff that they don't do. Never trust them.

Next check the muffler to see if it's plugged up with chunks of cat. Check the resonator too.

Do you have a code scanner? If so, post the codes it is showing.
View Quote

I don't have a scanner, but Kia has told me it's P1326 (knock sensor code). At my initial visit, they told me that if it rod bearing failure, Kia would cover it, warranty be damned.
Guess what the main culprit if a knock sensor code is?

Attachment Attached File

These motherfuckers!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
What other issues were created by the cat imploding?
What was replaced for that $1500?
It's very likely that the exhaust is clogged by the debris from the cat. An easy test is an Exhaust Backpressure Test (or just disconnect the pipe after the cat and drive the car)

Is the engine making noise?
If the bearings are bad enough to trip the knock sensor, you should be able to hear it

I've towed a lot of Kias and Hyundais for engine failure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What other issues were created by the cat imploding?
What was replaced for that $1500?
It's very likely that the exhaust is clogged by the debris from the cat. An easy test is an Exhaust Backpressure Test (or just disconnect the pipe after the cat and drive the car)

Is the engine making noise?
If the bearings are bad enough to trip the knock sensor, you should be able to hear it

I've towed a lot of Kias and Hyundais for engine failure.
View Quote

See above
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#14]
It probably needs an engine replacement which is expensive because so many fail which results in a shortage of good used ones.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#15]
was it a certified pre-owned when you bought it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Lol, why the fuck would you have bought a Kia.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember little pony saying that the cats plug and takes out the engine with it.

but it seems you have the opposite issue.

Also..it sounds like that dealer is useless as tits on a bull.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Buys a 5 year old car designed to be disposed of after 3-5 years, and gets upset when it is garbage.

Koreans build disposable appliances so you'll be able to have the joy of perceiving some more initial value when you have to buy a new one.

Just leave it outside with a USB thumbdrive on the hood and let nature take its course.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buys a 5 year old car designed to be disposed of after 3-5 years, and gets upset when it is garbage.

View Quote

But...they are more reliable than Honda, I heard it right here at GD.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Search Kia Theta2 engine problems. Don't know if the Kia Soul has this engine but it's very telling of what Kia thinks of their customers. Kia knew this engine was junk but still kept putting them in new vehicles. Kia=junk
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
was it a certified pre-owned when you bought it?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey Moe...

When they replaced the cat, did they go ahead and clean all of the debris from the exhaust system as well?
I'm gonna go ahead and bet they didn't and there's a blockage further down the line.
This bit me one time on one of our QX-80s. The cat disintegrated internally and clogged the exhaust.
I replaced the cats. But, didn't think to check the rest of the exhaust.

Just a thought.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#23]
have you tried contact KIA corporate?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I've seen a cat disintegrate and end up in the muffler, plugging up the exhaust system causing a severe engine power loss. The question is, did this happen with your Kia and if so, did the dealer replace the muffler? Or did they at least check exhaust system backpressure to make sure it wasn't plugged up somewhere?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I did explain the plugged exhaust theory with the dealership. I thought that I mentioned that in the OP, but I omitted that.
I had that thought, as well.

They just said that they can't do anything unless Techline tells them to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I did explain the plugged exhaust theory with the dealership. I thought that I mentioned that in the OP, but I omitted that.

View Quote

they really do sound 100% incompetent.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But...they are more reliable than Honda, I heard it right here at GD.  

https://imageshack.com/i/pmzCgbI5j
View Quote
My 2012 Kia Soul has been far less trouble, as in none, than my wife's 2014 Sienna.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
You'd think the dealership would send a hamster up the tailpipe to look for a clog.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#29]
My 2018 forte kept dropping spark on cylinders. Ended up replacing all the coil packs and been problem free since.

Similar symptoms to what you described
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd take it to a small muffler shop and have them look to see if its plugged.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Some good responses. From everything I've seen, Souls are reliable (on average). Sounds like the dealership isn't the best.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#32]
My buddy had a similar issue w/ his Kia Soul.  A bad 02 sensor caused a bad converter.  Replaced the O2 sensors (both) with FACTORY parts.  Most exhaust shops could do some sort of smoke or flow test to look for plugged exhaust.

Is it throwing a code??

@LittlePony
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Whoever "Techline" is, sounds like he needs his ass kicked.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd buy a used Range Rover with 200,000 miles from the auction before and brand new KIA
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#35]
A coworker has had the engine replaced in his Soul 3 or 4 times now.  Once he only made it a few hundred yards from the dealership before the new engine grenaded.

The dealership we bought by wife's Mazda CX9 from is also a Kia dealer.  We had some problems with the transmission on her Mazda.  The service manager was surprised.  "We never have problems with our Mazdas.  Our Kias come back all the time."
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Plugged exhaust is not hard to diagnose but it sounds to me like your engine is f*cked.  Dealership techs sound like a bunch of monkeys.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I wouldn't buy a Korean washing machine, much less one of their shit cars. Sure, they LOOK good, hell, their appliances LOOK great, they are also cast off chinese garbage under the sheet metal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy a Korean washing machine, much less one of their shit cars. Sure, they LOOK good, hell, their appliances LOOK great, they are also cast off chinese garbage under the sheet metal.
View Quote

I bought samsung washer and dryer.

both were pieces of shit
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Safety Recalls

See if your Soul is part of the engine recall.

Kia added software to the system sensors, to detect engines going bad.
They also extended the warranty on the engines that are part of the recall.

Also, take it to another Kia dealership, and or call Kia Customer Service.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Call Kia corporate.  Have your info ready, ask them why their Techline is telling your dealer they're done.  Go from there...
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Safety Recalls

See if your Soul is part of the engine recall.

Kia added software to the system sensors, to detect engines going bad.
They also extended the warranty on the engines that are part of the recall.

Also, take it to another Kia dealership, and or call Kia Customer Service.

Jay
View Quote

This.

If you have the knock sensor code you might be eligible for a new engine.

My 2011 optima is getting a new engine as we speak for free. It has 245k miles on it and theyre replacing the engine.

The knock sensor code came up p1326 and it went into limp mode (won't go over 1500 rpm).

They do a bearing clearance test and if it fails, new engine. As long as the car is part of the engine recall.

It could also just be a bad knock sensor that has placed the engine in limp mode. I did that repair first and it fixed it for a few hundred miles but code came back so I took it in. Failed bearing clearance test, hence the new engine under warranty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My 2018 forte kept dropping spark on cylinders. Ended up replacing all the coil packs and been problem free since.

Similar symptoms to what you described
View Quote

Already done.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

both were pieces of shit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

both were pieces of shit

The rule, as I know it, is if they make goid TV's... they make shit appliances.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Don't buy Kia or hyundai
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

both were pieces of shit

That's why I never bought a Sanyo appliance
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

both were pieces of shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

both were pieces of shit

I hear bad things about Korean refrigerators too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

both were pieces of shit

everyone I know that bought one, ended up having problems
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't buy Kia or hyundai
View Quote

People love to shit on kia because of their not so great past.

The fact is, they're one of the most reliable brands in the US.

Attachment Attached File

When it came time for us to upgrade, we bought a brand new Kia Sorento. Absolutely love it. Kia has always treated us well. Easy to work on, no proprietary bullshit, parts are cheap, and is top 3 most reliable vehicles in America.

Confirmation bias is a real thing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

both were pieces of shit

They don't really make refrigerators, they make ice boxes that use electricity. The compressor is just there for looks. Sure it works for awhile and makes noise but that's just to get it out the door.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#50]
What's funny is kias over the past 10ish years are statistically more reliable than quite a few other brands.

What 100% kills them is not changing oil when needed, it'll clog and kill the engine.

Our family has had 5 over the past 10 years, all have been quite solid. My brother has one nearing 300k miles, but then, we change the oil when you're supposed to.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top