Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bet it will be payed by the tax payers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NS will be in the for 1 to 2 billion. Cleanup alone will be 250 million.

I bet it will be payed by the tax payers.

I doubt it will be in the billions, but NS is going to take a big hit any way you slice it. As they should.

The tax payers will bear a bunch of the expense, too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

TBH, this could’ve happened to ANY of the Class Is. In fact, there are other Class Is with less sophisticated detector networks.

There’s a TON of BS going around online and in the media, NS this, ECP and Trump that….ZERO, absolutely fucking NONE of it is relevant.

I’ll die on this hill, and so far, no one in this thread is listening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh believe me, it’s been being eroded for a long time.

This is just more scouring around the foundation.

The rampant alarmism, clickbait headlines, retarded conspiracy shit, internet sleuthing, ridiculous claims of health effects and victimization, political opportunism, tribalism,  etc.

We have as close as we are going to get to a SME in the thread offering unbiased factual info and being dismissed as a “company man”. Objectivity is a blessing, and a curse.

No one can articulate how additional carmen inspections or detectors would have 100% prevented this, but we just need more of them for “reasons”.

Then you get the opportunists looking to use the incident to further political agendas, job protection, profiteering, etc. It isn’t just gun control advocates who never let a crisis go to waste.

This couldn’t have happened to a more deserving railroad than the NS, and they need to be held responsible for making the community reasonably whole, but the emotionally driven vitriol toward them and demands for compensation are just way over the top.

It’s all so tiresome.

TBH, this could’ve happened to ANY of the Class Is. In fact, there are other Class Is with less sophisticated detector networks.

There’s a TON of BS going around online and in the media, NS this, ECP and Trump that….ZERO, absolutely fucking NONE of it is relevant.

I’ll die on this hill, and so far, no one in this thread is listening.

Oh I totally understand that a similarly perfect storm could happen at any railroad. It’s just the NS has long standing notoriety as the most assholish of RRs to work for. They used to require their operating employees to shit in serial numbered bags that would turned in at the end of their tour of duty because equipping their locomotives with toilets was deemed too big of an expense. That’s the kind of mentality that they have a reputation for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

People complaining about the toxic waste be transported thru Michigan and Texas are being morons

I've lab packed and transported hazardous waste Across many state lines throughout the country

The picture below represents about 30,000 pounds of mixed toxic waste from factories, laboratories, refineries, pharmaceutical companies, etc . Hell its cyanide in those cardboard boxes

I used to fill that truck up 3 times a week in Maryland, DC, and Virginia  drive to Pennsylvania and then it gets sorted and goes on a tractor trailer to the proper disposal facility

Everything is on a EPA hazardous waste manifest which doesn't require "communication" with the public

Ask me anything:

https://i.postimg.cc/593FNLm0/B3-B224-F1-7-C2-E-4874-B619-E69-C2-C883-DC3.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're spreading it around to other states, too.

Michigan, Texas officials complain they weren't warned of contaminated soil, water shipments from Ohio train wreck

https://news.yahoo.com/michigan-texas-officials-complain-weren-171054195.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZ1uFRRuYQ

People complaining about the toxic waste be transported thru Michigan and Texas are being morons

I've lab packed and transported hazardous waste Across many state lines throughout the country

The picture below represents about 30,000 pounds of mixed toxic waste from factories, laboratories, refineries, pharmaceutical companies, etc . Hell its cyanide in those cardboard boxes

I used to fill that truck up 3 times a week in Maryland, DC, and Virginia  drive to Pennsylvania and then it gets sorted and goes on a tractor trailer to the proper disposal facility

Everything is on a EPA hazardous waste manifest which doesn't require "communication" with the public

Ask me anything:

https://i.postimg.cc/593FNLm0/B3-B224-F1-7-C2-E-4874-B619-E69-C2-C883-DC3.jpg

Cool.  

I've been the guy asking folks like you to show up and pickup many times.  When I worked in the semiconductor industry haz waste shipping and disposal was a fun part of my job but hell, I did plenty of it from a brewery too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh I totally understand that a similarly perfect storm could happen at any railroad. It’s just the NS has long standing notoriety as the most assholish of RRs to work for. They used to require their operating employees to shit in serial numbered bags that would turned in at the end of their tour of duty because equipping their locomotives with toilets was deemed too big of an expense. That’s the kind of mentality that they have a reputation for.
View Quote

Dafuq?

How about motive power they acquired from other roads?

There's an old saw that you always shit in the trailing power unit's head, but no facilities whatsoever?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dafuq?

There's an old saw that you always shit in the trailing power unit's head, but no facilities whatsoever?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dafuq?

Instead of a toilet, they had a rudimentary frame that the issued bag could be attached to.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Instead of a toilet, they had a rudimentary frame with that the issued bag could be attached to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dafuq?

Instead of a toilet, they had a rudimentary frame with that the issued bag could be attached to.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]

I saw this posted on a train forum today. Assume it is brand new
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/Screenshot_20230227_171221_Facebook-2727759.png

View Quote

I assume the vandal is referring to specific dates. Was there any speculation as to their significance?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I assume the vandal is referring to specific dates. Was there any speculation as to their significance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/Screenshot_20230227_171221_Facebook-2727759.png

It's Ukraine related.  Can't translate it but it is something in english/cyrillic.  The dates are independence for for Ukraine, the little green men invasion and last years "military action".  It popped up on the anniversary day of the war.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's Ukraine related.  Can't translate it but it is something in english/cyrillic.  The dates are independence for for Ukraine, the little green men invasion and last years "military action".  It popped up on the anniversary day of the war.
View Quote
Oops... On my phone I thought it said 2023, and was a reference to East Palestine... sorry!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oops... On my phone I thought it said 2023, and was a reference to East Palestine... sorry!
View Quote

Nah it's all good you aren't the only one.  Been in my feed from various railsites on FB since about the day after the anniversary on the 25th and then miraculously was picked up yesterday being pushed by the death and destruction pimps to pushing the agenda.  Kind of funny actually that they fail to see their failure.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I bet it’s the sheer overwhelming quantity being communicated on social media. A few ignoramuses are easy to question and dismiss. A steady drumbeat from thousands or tens of thousands including mainstream sources? Well that many people can’t all be wrong, can they? Plus it sounds really bad. Look at the YouTube videos that RealWar posts here.

I guess it’s great the Erin Brockovich finally found the opportunity to get her name back in the public spotlight, though.
View Quote

That would be my guess, yes.

I've seen panicky statements from normally conservative people around here, making hay about the local towns this train passed through. These particular conservatives are also prone to believing a whole lot of conspiracy type stuff, though, so I'm not completely surprised. Some of them HAVE mentioned acid rain locally in the past weeks and I found it as implausible then as I do now.  I was actually going to look up the recent wind patterns so I could see if there's any remote chance of this being legitimate but, honestly, I know it's very unlikely without looking and I'm convinced enough of that where I can't see to point in spending the time.

I've stopped short of shooting back with, "Fucker, it passed 70 yards from my front door. You don't see me panicking..."

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...Some of them HAVE mentioned acid rain locally in the past weeks and I found it as implausible then as I do now.  I was actually going to look up the recent wind patterns so I could see if there's any remote chance of this being legitimate but, honestly, I know it's very unlikely without looking and I'm convinced enough of that where I can't see to point in spending the time.
View Quote

A couple of days after the controlled burn, I noticed a film of something on our cars.

Mind you I'm 35min west of East Palestine - at motorcycle speeds. An hour and a half for the rest of you who drive like a sane person would.

I'd also seen reports of same around the Canton area. Given the winds have been zonal through the period in question, it wasn't anything from the burn.

I tried explaining this to people who were upwind of the event and who noticed the deposits. Apparently everything is now tanker related, rather than being connected to natural processes...like dust storms.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A couple of days after the controlled burn, I noticed a film of something on our cars.

Mind you I'm 35min west of East Palestine - at motorcycle speeds. An hour and a half for the rest of you who drive like a sane person would.

I'd also seen reports of same around the Canton area. Given the winds have been zonal through the period in question, it wasn't anything from the burn.

I tried explaining this to people who were upwind of the event and who noticed the deposits. Apparently everything is now tanker related, rather than being connected to natural processes...like dust storms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Some of them HAVE mentioned acid rain locally in the past weeks and I found it as implausible then as I do now.  I was actually going to look up the recent wind patterns so I could see if there's any remote chance of this being legitimate but, honestly, I know it's very unlikely without looking and I'm convinced enough of that where I can't see to point in spending the time.

People are going to lose their fucking minds in a couple weeks when all this strange yellow powder starts accumulating on everything.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m 21 miles by air at my house from the accident.

And it’s just like… people have 0 understanding.  My neighbor was even asking me about the chemicals and if our water is safe (well water.)

Just like holy shit… yeah it was a bad accident. But it’s not going to contaminate ~100sq miles.

All the rain we’ve received, let alone the drenching we got yesterday.  0.714 inches of rain at the airport… I’m guessing a little more the further south you went. And we’re expecting 0.1+ inches more today. So nearly an inch in 24 hours.  

So assuming the wreck contaminated 1 square mile. Approximately 17.3 million gallons of water have fallen on it in the last 24 hours. Let alone what we’ve previously had in the last ~25 days or so.

Since the accident, the area has had approximately 1.825 inches of rain. (Estimated February total, plus what is coming today.) So we’ve had approximately ~31,700,000 gallons fall per square mile, of rain.

Even if 0 of the product was burned off in the accident (which we know at least some was.) There was ~115,000 gallons of vinyl chloride. And approximately ~200,000 gallons of over all liquid products spilled, supposedly.

It’s now washed into tens of millions of gallons of water.  They cleaned up the localized area.  Let alone getting into any water shed that is going to further dilute it with millions of more gallons of water…
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And it’s just like… people have 0 understanding.  My neighbor was even asking me about the chemicals and if our water is safe (well water.)

Just like holy shit… yeah it was a bad accident. But it’s not going to contaminate ~100sq miles.

All the rain we’ve received, let alone the drenching we got yesterday.  0.714 inches of rain at the airport… I’m guessing a little more the further south you went. And we’re expecting 0.1+ inches more today. So nearly an inch in 24 hours.  

So assuming the wreck contaminated 1 square mile. Approximately 17.3 million gallons of water have fallen on it in the last 24 hours. Let alone what we’ve previously had in the last ~25 days or so.

Since the accident, the area has had approximately 1.825 inches of rain. (Estimated February total, plus what is coming today.) So we’ve had approximately ~31,700,000 gallons fall per square mile, of rain.

Even if 0 of the product was burned off in the accident (which we know at least some was.) There was ~115,000 gallons of vinyl chloride. And approximately ~200,000 gallons of over all liquid products spilled, supposedly.

It’s now washed into tens of millions of gallons of water.  They cleaned up the localized area.  Let alone getting into any water shed that is going to further dilute it with millions of more gallons of water…
View Quote

21 miles, hope you're ok!?!
Are your trucks ok?

I really hope you're $250k trucks are ok!

When you get a chance please tell me more about the weather patterns and the enormous amount of rain, and all the weather patterns; it's good to have a meteorologist (obviously youre a meteorologist) and your trucks!!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are your trucks ok?

When you get a chance please tell me more about the weather patterns and the enormous amount of rain, and all the weather patterns; it's good to have a meteorologist (obviously youre a meteorologist) and your trucks!!

Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are your trucks ok?

Thank you!

I’m in the oil business.  The rain was just pulled off weather reports for Youngstown region.  WKBN.  

My trucks are good.  They were inside Nulfco.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/wayside-detectors-in-spotlight-after-norfolk-southern-derailment-in-ohio/

"Norfolk Southern is inspecting all of its nearly 1,000 wayside hotbox detectors in the wake of the Feb. 3 derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, that safety investigators say was caused by a wheel bearing failure.

NS also has confirmed that detectors in the East Palestine area were all operating properly when merchandise train 32N rolled past them prior to the 8:54 p.m. derailment.

“Under the supervision of the Federal Railroad Administration, the company has inspected all wayside detectors in the area of the incident and found they were operating as designed,” NS said. “Out of an abundance of caution, Norfolk Southern is now inspecting all of the nearly 1,000 wayside heat detectors on its system — on top of the regular inspection of the detectors every 30 days.”

CSX Transportation has completed a week-long inspection and calibration of its network of more than 1,000 wayside detectors as a precaution.

The Federal Railroad Administration has not issued a safety advisory regarding hotbox detectors after the NS wreck, which spilled toxic chemicals, forced the evacuation of East Palestine, and prompted a firestorm of criticism of NS and the other Class I railroads.

The National Transportation Safety Board said today in a preliminary report that the derailment was caused by a wheel bearing failure. Two hotbox detectors recorded rising temperatures on the suspect hopper car, but temperatures never reached the critical threshold that would have tripped an alarm and required the crew to stop the train until after the train passed a third hotbox detector moments before the derailment.

CSX Chief Operating Officer Jamie Boychuk ordered the systemwide testing on his railroad. “We decided to do this as an extraordinary measure,” CSX spokeswoman Cindy Schild says.

Normally, CSX’s wayside detectors are inspected every two weeks but are not necessarily calibrated during those inspections, she says.

FRA does not regulate the trackside detectors that can warn of hot axles, dragging equipment, or other defects. They’re generally spaced between 10 and 20 miles apart on main lines.

It was not immediately clear if the other big railroads have or will conduct more thorough inspections of their detector networks.

“Union Pacific is closely monitoring the NTSB investigation and reviewing its preliminary findings. We constantly evaluate our processes and the Ohio derailment offers Union Pacific and the entire industry a chance to learn and continue working together to further improve safety,” spokeswoman Robynn Tysver says.

BNSF Railway said its detectors are inspected regularly. “Our wayside detectors are inspected frequently by our signal team as part of our robust, extensive and ongoing inspection program. In fact, BNSF leads the industry in using artificial intelligence for detecting wheel defects as algorithms sort through more than 35 million readings every day taken from our 4,000 wayside sensors to identify potential issues,” spokesman Zak Andersen says.

A Canadian National spokesman said the railroad has a calibration and maintenance protocol in place for its detectors. A Canadian Pacific spokesman referred to safety-related comments CEO Keith Creel made at an investor conference this week."

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps people have zero understanding because they are constantly being lied to by government and big company officials, as well as the media.

Remember that the EPA told the 9/11 recovery workers it was safe to work in that area in the immediate aftermath of the attacks.  How many of those workers have died and/or come down with serious illnesses connected to what they were exposed to there?  The EPA said it was SAFE.

I live less than 2 miles from a major/busy NS rail line.  I'm on well water, and I too would be concerned if there was a major derailment with a chemical spill just 2 miles from my wellhead.  The water in my well is 75' from the surface but I can taste a difference in my water a few days after any significant rainfall event.  I see the chemicals that are stirred up when someone pokes the creek bottoms around E. Palestine and that would be alarming to me if it happened here.

Dilution doesn't make all toxins completely harmless.  I wouldn't want to drink water contaminated with low levels of toxins over a period of 20 years to see what impact that would have on my body, even if the .gov says those levels are "safe".  I would prefer drinking zero toxins.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A circular area with a radius of 21 miles would be over 1300 sq miles.  I'm at 3.8 miles away.  A circle with that radius would be 45 sq miles in area.  Even that's a huge area for an incident like ths to have reasoonably been expected to materially impact.  I tell people if the train had been 150 cars of vinyl chloride and all of them were breached, we would be having a different conversation.  It's almost like some people want this to be a major disaster.  Kind of like wishing for a cat 5 hurricane becasue it's more exciting than a cat 1.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's almost like some people want this to be a major disaster.  Kind of like wishing for a cat 5 hurricane becasue it's more exciting than a cat 1.
View Quote

I - along with many others - occasionally use the term "follow the money".

A lot of these so-called social media influencers have monetized their streams, and every single click adds $$$.

Thus, they gin up fear porn for consumption by the gullible masses. All those clicks, views, comments retweets and what have you are lining the pockets of the perpetuators.

In the case of East Palestine, the people who are truly getting screwed by all this are the residents. Everyone else seems to be profiting in some manner.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/wayside-detectors-in-spotlight-after-norfolk-southern-derailment-in-ohio/

"Norfolk Southern is inspecting all of its nearly 1,000 wayside hotbox detectors in the wake of the Feb. 3 derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, that safety investigators say was caused by a wheel bearing failure.

NS also has confirmed that detectors in the East Palestine area were all operating properly when merchandise train 32N rolled past them prior to the 8:54 p.m. derailment.

“Under the supervision of the Federal Railroad Administration, the company has inspected all wayside detectors in the area of the incident and found they were operating as designed,” NS said. “Out of an abundance of caution, Norfolk Southern is now inspecting all of the nearly 1,000 wayside heat detectors on its system — on top of the regular inspection of the detectors every 30 days.”

CSX Transportation has completed a week-long inspection and calibration of its network of more than 1,000 wayside detectors as a precaution.

The Federal Railroad Administration has not issued a safety advisory regarding hotbox detectors after the NS wreck, which spilled toxic chemicals, forced the evacuation of East Palestine, and prompted a firestorm of criticism of NS and the other Class I railroads.

The National Transportation Safety Board said today in a preliminary report that the derailment was caused by a wheel bearing failure. Two hotbox detectors recorded rising temperatures on the suspect hopper car, but temperatures never reached the critical threshold that would have tripped an alarm and required the crew to stop the train until after the train passed a third hotbox detector moments before the derailment.

CSX Chief Operating Officer Jamie Boychuk ordered the systemwide testing on his railroad. “We decided to do this as an extraordinary measure,” CSX spokeswoman Cindy Schild says.

Normally, CSX’s wayside detectors are inspected every two weeks but are not necessarily calibrated during those inspections, she says.

FRA does not regulate the trackside detectors that can warn of hot axles, dragging equipment, or other defects. They’re generally spaced between 10 and 20 miles apart on main lines.

It was not immediately clear if the other big railroads have or will conduct more thorough inspections of their detector networks.

“Union Pacific is closely monitoring the NTSB investigation and reviewing its preliminary findings. We constantly evaluate our processes and the Ohio derailment offers Union Pacific and the entire industry a chance to learn and continue working together to further improve safety,” spokeswoman Robynn Tysver says.

BNSF Railway said its detectors are inspected regularly. “Our wayside detectors are inspected frequently by our signal team as part of our robust, extensive and ongoing inspection program. In fact, BNSF leads the industry in using artificial intelligence for detecting wheel defects as algorithms sort through more than 35 million readings every day taken from our 4,000 wayside sensors to identify potential issues,” spokesman Zak Andersen says.

A Canadian National spokesman said the railroad has a calibration and maintenance protocol in place for its detectors. A Canadian Pacific spokesman referred to safety-related comments CEO Keith Creel made at an investor conference this week."

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Lol @ CN: “yeah we’s got some of dem detectors.”
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That might be a bargain for the NS if the EPA  assuming full control and responsibility for the cleanup subsequently also assumes all future liability for any exposure related damages due to alleged inadequate cleanup efforts.
View Quote
That's not how that works. EPA assumes nothing if they have even a tangentially related corporation that they can charge.  NS, the people that made the rail car, the shipper/manufacturer of the chemical, somebody will get sued to pay the bill.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Perhaps people have zero understanding because they are constantly being lied to by government and big company officials, as well as the media.

Remember that the EPA told the 9/11 recovery workers it was safe to work in that area in the immediate aftermath of the attacks.  How many of those workers have died and/or come down with serious illnesses connected to what they were exposed to there?  The EPA said it was SAFE.

I live less than 2 miles from a major/busy NS rail line.  I'm on well water, and I too would be concerned if there was a major derailment with a chemical spill just 2 miles from my wellhead.  The water in my well is 75' from the surface but I can taste a difference in my water a few days after any significant rainfall event.  I see the chemicals that are stirred up when someone pokes the creek bottoms around E. Palestine and that would be alarming to me if it happened here.

Dilution doesn't make all toxins completely harmless.  I wouldn't want to drink water contaminated with low levels of toxins over a period of 20 years to see what impact that would have on my body, even if the .gov says those levels are "safe".  I would prefer drinking zero toxins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My well is extremely shallow. My house was built in 1920. My well is equal to the lake I live on.  So I get the concern.  

At the same time, I guess I’m confident in my chemistry. The only thing I’m sorta iffy about is if the benzine cars were actually empty or not.  They claim they were but, if they weren’t. That is legitimately bad news.

However I think we’re circling around the same thing. There is money to be made off the distrusts of the government.  So there’s people egging that on. And the government has burned their bridges of trust as well. So the residents are the ones getting screwed.

Fortunately (or maybe not?) the village has city water. With a state of the art system installed about 2-3 years ago.  Does it cover everyone in the radius? No. But most should be on city water not well. (And if you don’t trust the government… what good is city water?)

The idea of burning those chemicals off makes a catastrophic amount of dioxins, with wind patterns and rain fall around here, in the localized area..  just doesn’t seem realistic.  And as I said in my previous posts, this area has a ton of residual contamination from mining, steel industry, pottery industry, etc.

The creek in my farm is dead. Like, dead dead. Bright red. Devoid of all life. Because the government let a half ass contractor clean up a coal tipple.  We have personally spent ~$50,000 going after the current owner who isn’t doing his part on reclaiming the land, ODNR, the state of Ohio, etc.  which is why I know the area emergency epa coordinator for Ohio so well. He’s issued several citations that have gone no where.

I don’t trust the government for fuck or shit.  But, I’m speculating on my part of knowing a bit of chemistry and a lot about clean ups, that without it being any heavy metals. The fact it wasn’t a multi year / decade dumping facility.  And the fact it was a surface spill, with a fire, probably mitigates a lot of the contamination.

I know the residents are getting super annoyed because no one is giving them answers. I talked to my one employee that lives literally a block from the accident. And he’s really pissed off about everyone going there. But no answers to be had.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're in the Toledo area.

That's  a LONG way away, especially when our prevailing winds are from the SW.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I know the residents are getting super annoyed because no one is giving them answers. I talked to my one employee that lives literally a block from the accident. And he’s really pissed off about everyone going there. But no answers to be had.
View Quote

As they should be.

The whole thing has turned into a circus and politicking. It's complete bullshit. I'd be red hot fucking pissed, if I lived there. I'd be letting all the "adults" in charge fucking know it, too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m slightly north west.  I’m directly north out of Salem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's not how that works. EPA assumes nothing if they have even a tangentially related corporation that they can charge.  NS, the people that made the rail car, the shipper/manufacturer of the chemical, somebody will get sued to pay the bill.
View Quote

The NS will pay for all derailment costs in this scenario
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This one, using common sense analysis, should have been caught by any AI/ML system parsing records and looking for abnormalities, especially increasing abnormalities in the trends.  

Since I don't know what normal temps are, would 50°F different from average trip false alarms?  I don't know how hot the trains run at all.  Seeing as the crew didn't have information until it was in the process of derailing, I don't know how they can be faulted directly, unless a warm bearing notice was sent to them previously and was ignored.
View Quote

WRT the bolded:

My current day job involves leveraging these technologies for process inspection and notification, albeit in a different industry. However, data is data and trends are trends.

I get to attack the requirement(s) at a very high level then work with our various teams to design and implement analysis and reaction software. Should NS development staff have similar technologies in place I'd have no problem understanding their implementation and its limitations. Particularly, how they train their models.

Failing that, one of my teammates has a PhD in the field. I'd throw him under the bus (train) as I often do.

Bearing temps: I posted a PDF link a page or two back which states that anything under 170 degrees F is considered GTG by the bearing manufacturer which published it.

As you pointed out, the analysis software shouldn't focus on thresholds but rather, trends across the entire consist. The more HBDs your train crosses in a given movement, the better your instantaneous model becomes. And any discrepancies with a given axle become more apparent.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#33]
@Y-T71 -

How's the air quality over there? Any health issues being reported?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#34]
FRA posts Notice of Safety Advisory regarding use of HBDs

Journal bearings are critical components of freight cars that serve to transfer the weight of the car and its cargo to the axle while allowing the axle, and its wheels to rotate. If a journal bearing is defective (or becomes defective while in use), the temperature of the bearing may increase and become overheated, to the point where the bearing ceases to effectively perform its function. In some cases, journal bearings with relatively large defects can run at normal operating temperatures for tens of thousands of miles before any abnormality in their operating temperature is observed. In other cases, a bearing’s raceway (i.e., the path or groove that the bearing moves along) may deteriorate rapidly and cause excessive roller misalignment. The misaligned rollers generate frictional heating, which can weaken an axle in just a few minutes and may lead to a catastrophic derailment depending on the traveling speed of the train and the weight of the load the car with the defective bearing is carrying.

Detecting overheated journal bearings before they fail is critical to accident prevention. Journal bearings are sealed components, and, as such, often do not display “tell-tale signs” of overheating (e.g., leaking lubrication), making defects in journal bearings difficult to identify through visual inspections. HBDs can serve an important role in early detection of bearing defects, but the effectiveness of any HBD system depends on numerous factors, including:

(1) the establishment and adherence to adequate maintenance standards and procedures

(2) the establishment of safe thresholds at which to act on HBD alerts

(3) strict adherence to procedures that prescribe actions to be taken.
View Quote

In light of the above discussion, FRA recommends that railroads take the following actions:

1. Review existing HBD system inspection and maintenance policies and procedures for compliance with existing industry standards and manufacturer recommendations for HBDs.

2. Review existing procedures to train and qualify personnel responsible for installing, inspecting, and maintaining HBDs to ensure they have the appropriate knowledge and skills. Railroads should also develop and implement appropriate training on the inspection and maintenance requirements for HBDs and provide that training at appropriate intervals to ensure the required knowledge and skill of inspection and maintenance personnel. Further, railroads should evaluate their training content and training frequency to ensure any employee who may be called upon to evaluate a suspect bearing has the necessary training, experience, and qualifications. FRA also encourages railroads to ensure these individuals are available at all hours of operations across a railroad’s network.

3. Review current HBD detector thresholds in light of recent derailments, and all other relevant available data (including data from any close calls or near misses), to determine the adequacy of the railroad’s current thresholds. Thresholds should be established for single measurement as well as multiple measurements of individual bearings to enable temperature trend analysis.

4. Review current procedures governing actions responding to HBD alerts to ensure required actions are commensurate with the risk of the operation involved. With regard to trains transporting any quantity of hazardous materials, FRA recommends railroads adopt the procedures outlined in AAR’s OT-55 for key trains as an initial measure.
View Quote

NS owning 3 of the 5 known derailments due to overheated bearings in the last few years isn’t looking too good for them. I especially like the one where they sent an electrician to inspect the questionable bearing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Another field I'm somewhat familiar with is spectral and signature analysis.

To that point, have railways or roller bearing manufacturers ever done acoustical fingerprinting of roller bearings in their normal and failure domains?
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

To that point, have railways or roller bearing manufacturers ever done acoustical fingerprinting of roller bearings in their normal and failure domains?
View Quote

Jacon can better speak about that than I. But acoustical detectors are a thing, so I assume they have known sound signatures for normal and abnormal. Whether they collect readings on each car and maintain it in a database to compare trends, I don’t know.

I don’t recall if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but I read that there are only 39 such acoustical detectors in use in the country.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Media Advisory
Federal, State and Local Governments to Host Joint Media Briefing on Norfolk Southern Train Derailment Recovery Efforts

EAST PALESTINE, Ohio -- Federal, state and local partners will hold a news conference today with members of the media to provide an update and details on the recovery efforts to the Norfolk Southern train derailment in East Palestine that occurred Feb. 3.

WHEN:  4 p.m. ET, March 1, 2023

WHERE:  East Palestine City Park Community Center Parking Lot, 31 Park Dr., East Palestine, Ohio 44413

WHO:
Governor Mike DeWine and First Lady Fran DeWine
Federal Railroad Administration Administrator Amit Bose
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5 Administrator Debra Shore
Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Director Anne Vogel
Ohio Department of Public Safety Director Andy Wilson
Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Bruce Vanderhoff
FEMA Region 5 Regional Administrator Thomas C. Sivak
CDC/ATSDR Team Lead Jill Shugart

ASL interpretation will be provided at today’s briefing and moving forward.

Live stream the press briefing here: www.youtube.com/@FEMA/live

Please RSVP NLT 3 p.m. ET to [email protected].

###
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

@AnalogKid

Yes. Go look up Acoustic Bearing Detectors.

TTCI has written a ton of papers on bearing defects and their acoustic signatures. They are expensive relative to HBDs so there are fewer deployed.

There’s also fewer manufacturers qualified to deploy these detectors because the process to become qualified on the acoustic algorithm is incredibly difficult.

Not many companies have accomplished this feat and this detector has been surrounded in controversy since inception, for reasons I won’t get into here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#40]

LOL, strike while the iron is hot I guess. Not a single one of those measures prevents this derailment.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@AnalogKid

TTCI has written a ton of papers on bearing defects and their acoustic signatures. They are expensive relative to HBDs so there are fewer deployed.

There’s also fewer manufacturers qualified to deploy these detectors because the process to become qualified on the acoustic algorithm is incredibly difficult.

Not many companies have accomplished this feat and this detector has been surrounded in controversy since inception, for reasons I won’t get into here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@AnalogKid

They've been successfully deployed in factories / heavy industries to control auto-greasers for bearings.  

Pretty cool technology, but as you said - hard to deploy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Derailment at Santa Fe Junction Caught on Cam!
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@22 second when it starts, seems a top heavy girder (or something on a flatbed?) tilts when going around a mild corner.  Good it was slow since the tank cars remained sealed albeit a good "bonk" sound from them.

View Quote

Referred to as a Centerbeam Bulkhead Flatcar and they’re the fucking worst for train handling. They don’t have any weight when empty and crumple like origami paper if the in-train buff forces get too great.  

Y’all probably didn’t see it but that boom at the beginning is the buff forces popping the first black tank car out of the bolster. It takes a little bit to see it, but if you look close, the tank car got shoved into the back of the low sided gon yet stayed on the rail.

Fuck. I’d hate to be the wreck crew charged with separating that centerbeam from the bridge. Effffffff
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Didn’t hear the air go.   Must’ve been off air, yard job perhaps?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Where is west Liverpool Ohio?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Sick East Palestine Residents TURNED AWAY by Norfolk Southern for Not Bringing Social Security Cards

Sick East Palestine Residents TURNED AWAY by Norfolk Southern for Not Bringing Social Security Cards

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well...it was mentioned on Facebook so it MUST exist.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s right next to Retardville, where that guy lives.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top