Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/7/2023 10:36:58 PM EDT
So a little back story here, my sister is cleaning herself up (making better choices we’ll say). She doesn’t have a criminal record or anything like that. She recently got an apartment in a not so good part of town. My mom was wanting to buy her a handgun as a home warning gift. Could she legally buy from an online retailer, ship to an FFL and my sister do the paperwork, pay the fee, and take possession?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Be another good idea to get her some quality training - which could be as expensive as a new gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of FFLs won't do that. Name of purchaser not matching who is coming to pick it up tends to be a red flag for them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  Be another good idea to get her some quality training - which could be as expensive as a new gun.
View Quote

I totally agree.I’ll suggest it, but that’s about all a person can do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about various different laws - but in Texas I think it is legal within family.  Gifts are, being repaid for a gift is iffy, maybe.  But I know people who have bought guns for family this way at gun shows - where the relatives would have needed to drive 100's of miles and the gun would no longer be available.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A lot of FFLs won't do that. Name of purchaser not matching who is coming to pick it up tends to be a red flag for them.
View Quote

I have wondered if that’d trigger anything from a local FFL.
It makes sense though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a gift. Gifts are good.

What would be a straw is when the purchaser papers the transaction to conceal the actual recipient.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as I know, it's only a straw purchase if the ultimate possessor is a prohibited person.

BTW - I don't necessarily, from a fundamental 2A standpoint, agree with it. That is just my understanding of the rules.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Easiest to have mom send money and let sister buy the gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
As an FFL,

Whoever's name is on the order slip is who needs to pick it up.

She can legally buy for her child as long as she has no knowledge of any disqualifiers that would not allow them to own one.

Easiest would be to do do the ship to / billing separate.

Ship to your sisters name.    Billing info your moms so card works.  (Or you can try using your sisters name (If last name same, in billing also, most cards will let it go through).

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As far as I know, it's only a straw purchase if the ultimate possessor is a prohibited person.

BTW - I don't necessarily, from a fundamental 2A standpoint, agree with it. That is just my understanding of the rules.
View Quote

No,

It is a straw purchase if the intent to not have the individual (end user) do a background check. Regardless of if they are prohibited or not.

You cannot buy and give a firearm for someone else, unless it is direct family.

Now you can "pay for it" as long as the end user is the one who is filling out the background.  (There is some debate about this now tho).
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No,

It is a straw purchase if the intent to not have the individual (end user) do a background check. Regardless of if they are prohibited or not.

Now you can "pay for it" as long as the end user is the one who is filling out the background.  (There is some debate about this now tho).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,

Even worse than that, if you buy the gun and do the 4473, but are really buying it on someone else’s behalf, even if you have the other person do a 4473 to transfer that is a straw buy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramski_v._United_States

If OP’s mom pays for a gun online but the daughter/sister does the 4473 and the daughter/sister is the one keeping the gun, all is well. But it might be a red flag for the ffl.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
self delete just incase
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would seem to be a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats probably the way to go
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#15]
<-- FFL, this is the way to do it.
Quoted:
As an FFL,

Whoever's name is on the order slip is who needs to pick it up.

She can legally buy for her child as long as she has no knowledge of any disqualifiers that would not allow them to own one.

Easiest would be to do do the ship to / billing separate.

Ship to your sisters name.    Billing info your moms so card works.  (Or you can try using your sisters name (If last name same, in billing also, most cards will let it go through).
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm an ffl. I ain't doing that transfer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd deny the sale as policy.

Have her buy it, and just put sister's name in all name fields instead of her own. Not an issue.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Give her a gift certificate to the FFL.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is not true it is a common misconception. You can absolutely have a straw purchase between two legal purchasers. However gifts are legal. I don't believe what is described would be a straw purchase though I suppose it could be argued it is because your sister did not pay for it and she is doing the paperwork. It would probably be better if your mom did the paperwork and just gave it to her provided they are in the same state. Or gave her money to buy the gun with herself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Academy, sports and outdoors will only transfer the firearm to the person whose name is on the invoice and then charge you $60 for the transfer fee. I work at Academy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Gift cards are a pretty easy solution. If mom and sistere are in the same state she can just buy it and give it to her.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,

Not true a gift is explicitly described as legal in the 4473 instructions there is no requirement that it is family.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I will also say, since the new 4473 has come out in the first seven days of this month we have had 19 people answer question 21B incorrectly and we have to deny the sale. The new wording on the 4473 is quite difficult for the average person to understand apparently.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is not true it is a common misconception. You can absolutely have a straw purchase between two legal purchasers. However gifts are legal. I don't believe what is described would be a straw purchase though I suppose it could be argued it is because your sister did not pay for it and she is doing the paperwork. It would probably be better if your mom did the paperwork and just gave it to her provided they are in the same state. Or gave her money to buy the gun with herself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Issue is name on the invoice for the FFL who receives it. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Your mom does the paperwork. Then gifts it to your sister.

Perfectly legal.

It's right in the instructions of the 4473 which nobody reads.

As you can see, bona fide gifts do not constitute a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will also say, since the new 4473 has come out in the first seven days of this month we have had 19 people answer question 21B incorrectly and we have to deny the sale. The new wording on the 4473 is quite difficult for the average person to understand apparently.
View Quote

The amount of stupid fucks who can't understand basic fucking English, has me wanting to throat punch every customer who's confused.

I had no patience with one guy, and when he asked me for help on that question, I asked him which word he needed a definition of to understand the question.

ETA: Enough people on here know me IRL, and where I work, that they know, if I go that level on a dipshit, they earned it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Not everyone should have a gun. I’d propose a German Shepherd.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true.    Have Mom pay for it, but if ordered online, should be in in Sis' name to avoid issues.    Or Mom could just order in Sis' name and pay on her own CC, but then seller may balk if different name on order and credit card.   Best to just give Sis the money to order it herself.   Or Mom could order it in her name, pay for it her name, and 4473 it in her own name as a bonafide gift to Sis.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Your mom can buy the gun as a gift and give it to her if she isn't a prohibited person.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is 21B?  I don't have a 4473 in front of me
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

But it wouldn't be a straw purchase since she's not a prohibited person.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

21b: “Do you intend to purchase or acquire any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition, for sale of other disposition to any person described in questions 21(c)-(m) or to a person described in question 21.n.1 who does not fall within a nonimmigrant exception?”
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
21 c doesn't confuse anyone.

21.c.: “Do you intend to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition in furtherance of any felony or other offense punishable by imprisonment for a term of more than one year, a Federal crime of terrorism, or a drug trafficking offense?”
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.

But it wouldn't be a straw purchase since she's not a prohibited person.
View Quote

Not true. That was tested in court in 2014 (Abramski v. United States). It's a straw purchase whether or not they are prohibited.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Perfectly legal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/Screenshot_20230408_001516_Samsung_Notes-2774688.jpg

View Quote

Can only directly gift to someone in the same state and OP has not said it that's the case with his mom and sister.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Can only directly gift to someone in the same state and OP has not said it that's the case with his mom and sister.
View Quote

That doesn't sound right. I think you are missing something.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mom is buying it as a gift, sister is doing the tranfer.
Nothing  illeagal about that .
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Somebody should be taking her to pick out her own gun, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#41]
I would call the FFL doing the transfer to check with them. It may be legal but it's best to not throw surprise's when you are doing the paperwork.

If y'all live in the same town why not just go give her a gun?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#42]
A gift is a gift. Your mom can buy it and give it to her.  If they are both at the shop, then your sister should do the paper work.

Why do y'all ask legality questions where its stored in perpetuity?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#43]
never a straw purchaser if the end user gets the background check.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I wanted to do that for my daughter but my FFL said no dice.  The names must match.  I had to put it in my name then transfer it to my daughter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfectly legal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/Screenshot_20230408_001516_Samsung_Notes-2774688.jpg

Thats why you don't ask these fucking questions on a monitored website.

Op joined in 2006, surely he can sell or gift one of his collection, take the guesswork out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
21 c doesn't confuse anyone.

21.c.: “Do you intend to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm listed on this form and any continuation sheet(s) or ammunition in furtherance of any felony or other offense punishable by imprisonment for a term of more than one year, a Federal crime of terrorism, or a drug trafficking offense?”
View Quote

What a stupid fucking question and if you answer yes, you're a stupid person.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why the fuck is sale of ammo on the 4473?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So a little back story here, my sister is cleaning herself up (making better choices we’ll say). She doesn’t have a criminal record or anything like that. She recently got an apartment in a not so good part of town. My mom was wanting to buy her a handgun as a home warning gift. Could she legally buy from an online retailer, ship to an FFL and my sister do the paperwork, pay the fee, and take possession?
View Quote

Is your sister an addict and prohibited from owning a firearm on that basis?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A gift is a gift. Your mom can buy it and give it to her.  If they are both at the shop, then your sister should do the paper work.

Why do y'all ask legality questions where its stored in perpetuity?
View Quote

Except you answered it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My father has purchased a couple guns for me in the shop.  If I'm with him, I do a check so it doesn't look like a straw purchase.  He paid.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top