Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2021 8:34:43 PM EDT
We hired an SME for big bucks.  Turns out, he's not.  My boss realized this early on, then as we pushed back, he doubled down and reversed course on shit canning him.  The deeper we get into the project, the more this guy is exposed.

My boss is the head hauncho.  He has a history of hiring people who turn out to suck.  They never get fired, despite his bitching.  I can only assume this is because it would show that he fucked up.  I just go along normally.  However, this one will hurt us bad if it doesn't pan out.

Fun situation...I have to be negative Nancy about this guy and point out to my boss that he fucked up.  This project, if executed well, will double our revenue.  Despite wanting to soldier on, I can't keep my mouth shut anymore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like two people need to be fired.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Is he vaxxed?

May not be a problem soon
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
General Milley should step down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
best of luck. I've seen that a lot in my industry. The boss doesn't want to admit that they were fooled by someone who interviewed well. It's a lose, lose situation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I get it, but keep those thoughts to yourself - speaking up won’t play out the way you think it will, let nature take its course. Sometimes it takes a while, but it’s the right play for you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is he vaxxed?

May not be a problem soon
View Quote

I'm one of 5 out of 110 that aren't, so......
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I get it, but keep those thoughts to yourself - speaking up won’t play out the way you think it will, let nature take its course. Sometimes it takes a while, but it’s the right play for you.
View Quote

Part of me says that.

Part of me says my boss needs a wake up call so we don't lose 30 million
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like OP is about to be unemployed.

Bosses love to shoot the messenger.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Sodomized Mouse Engineer? Seriously, what is an SME?

My office hired a guy who sounds like your SME. Guy is useless, lies constantly but gets away with it. Fucked up thing I he gets caught all the time. He takes on these huge jobs that would take someone who knows what they're doing a week or more and he closes it out in a day or two. Management knows he's an idiot but keeps saying, 'Yeah, we know but he closes out 400 jobs a month.' I always say, "Yeah, it's easy to close out 400 jobs a month when you do nothing."
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Literally in the title
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Consultants.  They always know more than the regular employees.  Always.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol, i work in .gov. sounds familiar.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Simple Minded Engineer
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Part of me says that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of me says that.

Too many good men doing nothing is why is this country is failing.  Might as well save your employer 30 mil
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Execs at most businesses will never admit they made a mistake and do not ever want to hear bad news.  If you try to raise a red flag to let them know of a problem you get labeled as negative.

This leads to shitty employees and failed projects, and the good employees go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I would dump as much as I could in the SME and boss's lap. Is it 4 o'clock already? I'm late for my "zero fucks given" appointment.

You're getting fucked into having to sort this out yourself anyway. Someone has to be accountable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Literally in the title
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally in the title

Still doesn't explain what it is. If that's a legit business title it's almost as bad as the Diversity and Inclusion Director titles in businesses now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if the SME does not shift the blame to OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Did the boss hire you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Whoever invented the fucking term 'Subject Matter Expert' sucks. I hate that term so much and they usually turn out to be shit birds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Still doesn't explain what it is. If that's a legit business title it's almost as bad as the Diversity and Inclusion Director titles in businesses now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally in the title

Subject Matter Expert

It means a person who is so knowledgeable in their field of expertise that they are an expert in that subject.

Real SME’s have their shit together and can easily fix problems others struggle with because of the vast knowledge and experience.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Move SME ‘s office to the basement and take his stapler.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Literally in the title
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Literally in the title

yes but what 'subject matter'. could be sodomizing mouses, or badgers or  who knows.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been the hired SME enough to really dislike it. I generally try to avoid consulting but somehow keep getting sucked back into it by friends and friends of friends whose companies are in a bind. At least 50% of the time, I can find a root cause that has already been identified by at least one existing employee that no one will listen to. I get to the bottom of why no one will listen to him (it's always a him, people are terrified not to listen to the women), then I fix that issue, whether it's presentation, more data needed, some technical flaw, or just personality.

The other half of the time, they really have gotten themselves in over their head and they needed someone like me from the start, but FT, not as a consultant. Of those companies, at least half of them will stop listening halfway through because they don't want to face up to the solution, and I fire those clients. Fired one just 9 months back in fact. I told the CEO I was worn out of telling him the same things over and over while he kept trying to push a rope on a process that wouldn't work, so I was going to stop billing and participating in their webexes, and he could call if they changed their minds. Just last week, they finally called me and asked for the fix that I told them they would need nearly a year ago.

I've for sure seen my fair share of SMEs who weren't from the other side of the table too. The ones that really get me are the business strategy weasels from big name, $300/hr consultancies. IMO, any exec who needs those clowns to tell him/her how to run a business has no business being an executive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Via con Dios.

Your boss will fire you before they get fired, promise you.

Quoted:

Part of me says that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of me says that.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We hired an SME for big bucks.  Turns out, he's not.  My boss realized this early on, then as we pushed back, he doubled down and reversed course on shit canning him.  The deeper we get into the project, the more this guy is exposed.

My boss is the head hauncho.  He has a history of hiring people who turn out to suck.  They never get fired, despite his bitching.  I can only assume this is because it would show that he fucked up.  I just go along normally.  However, this one will hurt us bad if it doesn't pan out.

Fun situation...I have to be negative Nancy about this guy and point out to my boss that he fucked up.  This project, if executed well, will double our revenue.  Despite wanting to soldier on, I can't keep my mouth shut anymore.
View Quote
Such detailed info, and I especially enjoyed the few specific examples you mentioned about the stuff.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Convince him to quit .
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
For fucks sake just say what the subject matter is.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Care to share what service you used to find said SME
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For fucks sake just say what the subject matter is.

View Quote

Does it matter?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Be honest and frank. Tell him you are concerned the level of knowledge displayed so far could cause damage to the business. A lot of guys come off as the kinda dudes who like to take shots at leadership so they have something to gripe about-- its important you not appear this way.

I've been in the same position and thankfully they listened.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Ever wonder if others complain about you or how you should be fired?

Personally, I don't get involved with personnel issues with the individual who hires and fires.

Edit for clarity; the bosses see or don't see what they want and do what they want. Many don't like their poor choices rubbed in their faces.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
My boss used to say "we don't need an expert, all an expert is is someone from out of town with a briefcase...".
He was usually always right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#35]
The older I get, the more I fall into the camp of “fuckit, don’t bother, boss will shoot the messenger. Let the boss own his shitty judgment, and wear his fuckup like a crown of thorns.”
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#36]
we have MSL's and our company gives them a test on their clinical, technical, and scientific knowledge of the disease state and it's 100 questions, i've seen a lot of 50% fails.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The older I get, the more I fall into the camp of “fuckit, don’t bother, boss will shoot the messenger. Let the boss own his shitty judgment, and wear his fuckup like a crown of thorns.”
View Quote

This, like I said, let nature take its course or you’ll get canned before bosses bad decisions catch up with him
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Management only trusts the people smart enough not to work for them full-time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Subject matter expert on what subject/project?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#40]
We hired a SME on analyzers who’d retired from one of the big oil companies.  He was working on an analyzer in one unit, took it apart and couldn’t get it put back together.  Instead of calling a coworker for help, he moved over to an identical unit, removed the analyzer in that one, then couldn’t get that one back together, either.  Since this went on for some time, it ended up putting our area into an environmental violation.  Our manager called maintenance and told them to never send that son of a bitch back down in our area again.  Our manager surmised the other company sent him to us to rid themselves of a competitor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m not saying this is you, but there are always employees who understand how their small part of the business works but fail to see the larger forces in play.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’m not saying this is you, but there are always employees who understand how their small part of the business works but fail to see the larger forces at play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not saying this is you, but there are always employees who understand how their small part of the business works but fail to see the larger forces at play.

And sometimes they’re pretty good at that.  Unfortunately, some companies want a certain outcome of a study they’re having done and will eventually tell them how exactly they want the results to be since they’re paying for it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad everyone knows what sme stands for. Otherwise I would not have a clue as to what you are talking about
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Care to share what service you used to find said SME
View Quote

Grindr?
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sounds like two people need to be fired.
View Quote

FPNI.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Shit have him hire this place, we know everything.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
At least 50% of the time, I can find a root cause that has already been identified by at least one existing employee that no one will listen to.
View Quote
Always true...I'd say this is closer to 100%. Some tech grinding it out daily knows exactly what's clogging the process.

I'm fortunate to consult on a legacy software that many businesses are trying to migrate off of but it will keep me busy until retirement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has become the theme song at work from those of us who see a train wreck in the making starting next fiscal year.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#50]
We must work for the same corporation
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top