Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Part of me says that.

Part of me says my boss needs a wake up call so we don't lose 30 million
View Quote

If it's not your company let them lose 30 million keep your head down. If the big wigs start asking around about what happened, if they will keep it quiet tell them the truth, if they will rat you out continue to keep your head down, but don't make the first move by going to them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been the hired SME enough to really dislike it. I generally try to avoid consulting but somehow keep getting sucked back into it by friends and friends of friends whose companies are in a bind. At least 50% of the time, I can find a root cause that has already been identified by at least one existing employee that no one will listen to. I get to the bottom of why no one will listen to him (it's always a him, people are terrified not to listen to the women), then I fix that issue, whether it's presentation, more data needed, some technical flaw, or just personality.

The other half of the time, they really have gotten themselves in over their head and they needed someone like me from the start, but FT, not as a consultant. Of those companies, at least half of them will stop listening halfway through because they don't want to face up to the solution, and I fire those clients. Fired one just 9 months back in fact. I told the CEO I was worn out of telling him the same things over and over while he kept trying to push a rope on a process that wouldn't work, so I was going to stop billing and participating in their webexes, and he could call if they changed their minds. Just last week, they finally called me and asked for the fix that I told them they would need nearly a year ago.

I've for sure seen my fair share of SMEs who weren't from the other side of the table too. The ones that really get me are the business strategy weasels from big name, $300/hr consultancies. IMO, any exec who needs those clowns to tell him/her how to run a business has no business being an executive.
View Quote

Deloitte and McKinsey are firms that come to mind.  Every large company hires them to do nothing and basically plagiarize the FT employees' ideas that management totally ignored for years.  Consulting firm gets hired, has the FT employees do the work, firm presents to VPs and CEO.  Walks away with $15M after 60-90 days of one person assigned to the project for the full time and a few bullshitters showing up on important calls.

Look up Deloitte and McKinsey.  They have a history worth understanding and they are tied into a lot of companies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
we have MSL's and our company gives them a test on their clinical, technical, and scientific knowledge of the disease state and it's 100 questions, i've seen a lot of 50% fails.
View Quote

I love disease state awareness decks

The answers are right on the slides, how do you get only 50%
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's appropriate, let the older engineers quiz him.   We can expose a fake in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've for sure seen my fair share of SMEs who weren't from the other side of the table too. The ones that really get me are the business strategy weasels from big name, $300/hr consultancies. IMO, any exec who needs those clowns to tell him/her how to run a business has no business being an executive.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
From SAP? I hear bad things about them pretty regularly
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you refer to him as the "smee?"   I absolutely hate that for reasons I don't fully understand.   Drives me nuts.  I'm fine with and say AWACS as if it was a word but dammit, SME is S M E.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We hired an SME for big bucks.  Turns out, he's not.  My boss realized this early on, then as we pushed back, he doubled down and reversed course on shit canning him.  The deeper we get into the project, the more this guy is exposed.

My boss is the head hauncho.  He has a history of hiring people who turn out to suck.  They never get fired, despite his bitching.  I can only assume this is because it would show that he fucked up.  I just go along normally.  However, this one will hurt us bad if it doesn't pan out.

Fun situation...I have to be negative Nancy about this guy and point out to my boss that he fucked up.  This project, if executed well, will double our revenue.  Despite wanting to soldier on, I can't keep my mouth shut anymore.
View Quote

Typical corporate bs.
VP's fail again and again, everywhere they go, yet still get the jobs somehow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm available, I am an expert on everything, yes I am.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And sometimes they’re pretty good at that.  Unfortunately, some companies want a certain outcome of a study they’re having done and will eventually tell them how exactly they want the results to be since they’re paying for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Consultants.  They always know more than the regular employees.  Always.

I’m not saying this is you, but there are always employees who understand how their small part of the business works but fail to see the larger forces at play.

And sometimes they’re pretty good at that.  Unfortunately, some companies want a certain outcome of a study they’re having done and will eventually tell them how exactly they want the results to be since they’re paying for it.

It puts steaks in the freezer just the same.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been the hired SME enough to really dislike it. I generally try to avoid consulting but somehow keep getting sucked back into it by friends and friends of friends whose companies are in a bind. At least 50% of the time, I can find a root cause that has already been identified by at least one existing employee that no one will listen to. I get to the bottom of why no one will listen to him (it's always a him, people are terrified not to listen to the women), then I fix that issue, whether it's presentation, more data needed, some technical flaw, or just personality.

The other half of the time, they really have gotten themselves in over their head and they needed someone like me from the start, but FT, not as a consultant. Of those companies, at least half of them will stop listening halfway through because they don't want to face up to the solution, and I fire those clients. Fired one just 9 months back in fact. I told the CEO I was worn out of telling him the same things over and over while he kept trying to push a rope on a process that wouldn't work, so I was going to stop billing and participating in their webexes, and he could call if they changed their minds. Just last week, they finally called me and asked for the fix that I told them they would need nearly a year ago.

View Quote

Not a Toyota model fan, eh…
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We hired an SME for big bucks.  Turns out, he's not.  My boss realized this early on, then as we pushed back, he doubled down and reversed course on shit canning him.  The deeper we get into the project, the more this guy is exposed.

My boss is the head hauncho.  He has a history of hiring people who turn out to suck.  They never get fired, despite his bitching.  I can only assume this is because it would show that he fucked up.  I just go along normally.  However, this one will hurt us bad if it doesn't pan out.

Fun situation...I have to be negative Nancy about this guy and point out to my boss that he fucked up.  This project, if executed well, will double our revenue.  Despite wanting to soldier on, I can't keep my mouth shut anymore.
View Quote

That absolutely sucks.  

We went through something similar with one of our higher ups in the company choosing a SME who by the end of the project, had nearly bankrupted us.  He was on the 9/11 commission too...which well, made me question why he was chosen and then I realized exactly why he was chosen.  He should have been in government not the private sector given how he spent money and made decisions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you refer to him as the "smee?"   I absolutely hate that for reasons I don't fully understand.   Drives me nuts.  I'm fine with and say AWACS as if it was a word but dammit, SME is S M E.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you work at a tattoo shop and was he the guy who did the clam skull?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Today is probably the last day of my life as a full-time employee.

Thanks for the reminder of what I'm leaving behind. :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Today is probably the last day of my life as a full-time employee.

Thanks for the reminder of what I'm leaving behind. :)
View Quote

Good luck.

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Still doesn't explain what it is. If that's a legit business title it's almost as bad as the Diversity and Inclusion Director titles in businesses now.
View Quote
It's not a job title.  It's an extremely common descriptor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP says it like thats a bad thing for him
Attachment Attached File

an expert in what? i've worked on a lot of projects over the years where the consultant SMEs actually did know what they're doing but got a ton of push back from the dinosaurs because they were either scared of not being needed or just afraid of change. if what you were doing prior to figuring out you need someone with different skills was working, you wouldn't need someone with different skills to begin with. on the flip side it does boggle the mind how incompetent people who supposedly have done thing ABC for 10+ years can possibly be.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
The lesson I’ve learned the hard way is to fire fast. It’s better for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Serious question.

How does one become an SME?  Is there a test or something?

I've seen emails where people have SME in their title. Honestly never new or cared what it meant.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Never call into question the competence of people who know they are incompetent but live in a perpetual state of fear that someone else will notice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Serious question.

I've seen emails where people have SME in their title. Honestly never new or cared what it meant.
View Quote

After you send enough pointless, semi-cryptic emails it just sort of appears in your signature.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Serious question.

View Quote

People who are legitimate experts don't advertise themselves as such, their experience speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Did he hire you?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#26]
“Honcho.”

Like that.

With two “o”s.

LOL’d at “Hauncho.”

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

After you send enough pointless, semi-cryptic emails it just sort of appears in your signature.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This man knows.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People who are legitimate experts don't advertise themselves as such, their experience speaks for itself.
View Quote

But then how can they sell themselves on social media if they don’t constantly tell the world how great they are?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is he vaxxed?

May not be a problem soon
View Quote

omg dude go yell at some lady in a Target store or something
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But then how can they sell themselves on social media if they don’t constantly tell the world how great they are?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Most "SME's" do.....over inflate their experience and have a lot of initials after their name (PMP, Six sigma, etc...).

Thats because they suck and just collect certs because their previous jobs had them sitting in the corner and coloring...
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

Sometimes legitimate experts should not legitimately think that translates into knowing how to do anything.  That is what I've seen lost in translation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Serious question.

View Quote

Yes. The test is based on grammar and spelling
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#35]
People in power....once they have made a position or decision....do not like to be wrong

Time honored tradition of a major problem in this world
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a boss like that.  Seemed to love bullshitters.  The more obvious the BS was to me and others the more confidence the owner had in the guy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Lol, i work in .gov. sounds familiar.
View Quote

This. We see this with contractors brought in on IT projects all the time.  It's a PITA to get the funds approved, and they milk it until they have to produce then quit.  Because it's Austin, they can keep this up indefinitely.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The ones that really get me are the business strategy weasels from big name, $300/hr consultancies. IMO, any exec who needs those clowns to tell him/her how to run a business has no business being an executive.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#39]
My boss did not hire me
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sodomized Mouse Engineer? Seriously, what is an SME?

View Quote

Sexy midget elf
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Last job i worked at (Ad Agency) decided to hire a Creative Director... after going through a metric ton of resumes they end hiring this older gal.  She lasted about a week. Turned out she didn't know how to use any tools (Photoshop/illustrator/InDesign) and her ideas were all terrible and amateurish.  No idea why she was picked for the role.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Do what is within your power, make sure progress and decisions are well documented.  The SME's are usually so full of themselves they like to take credit and brag about what they are doing.  Hang them with their own rope, or use it to weave a protective net.

If the project is important enough your boss will be looking for someone to bail him out.  If you can do that successfully, quietly step in and be the hero, then make sure leadership higher up the food chain know who put the work in.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#43]
“Free pdf. 48 laws of power”.  Google it. Read it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Last job i worked at (Ad Agency) decided to hire a Creative Director... after going through a metric ton of resumes they end hiring this older gal.  She lasted about a week. Turned out she didn't know how to use any tools (Photoshop/illustrator/InDesign) and her ideas were all terrible and amateurish.  No idea why she was picked for the role.
View Quote

I bet at least one women involved in the hiring process said "she seems so nice..." and that was that.

ETA: I'm going thru that with my 76yo MIL right now, her financial advisor sucks and won't do what she wants, has most of her portfolio in risky stuff, but she won't fire him because "I like him, he's so nice."
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Execs at most businesses will never admit they made a mistake and do not ever want to hear bad news.  If you try to raise a red flag to let them know of a problem you get labeled as negative.

This leads to shitty employees and failed projects, and the good employees go elsewhere.
View Quote

Spot on
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Execs at most businesses will never admit they made a mistake and do not ever want to hear bad news.  If you try to raise a red flag to let them know of a problem you get labeled as negative.

This leads to shitty employees and failed projects, and the good employees go elsewhere.
View Quote

True, but the better execs know when to have a quiet meeting on the side after proclaiming success in front of their peers.  I have had several that went basically like this, "I don't want to hear any bitching I want to know 3 things.  Can you fix this?  How much will it cost?  How long will it take?"
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

Bummer.  Guess I'm not SME material.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top