BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2024 10:44:20 PM EDT
whats the skinny?  Any subject matter experts here who can advise?  Thx
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They want to put up solar panels. For energy.

That's it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear that once they are obsolete, worn out, the company goes out of business etc, you will have a hard time getting rid of them.  

Just from what I have read sir.  Might be something to look into.

Oh, and never sell your land.  Rent it out.  Old saying, land is something they aren’t making any more of.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I can answer anything you want related to utility scale solar development. I've supported countless solar projects from up front land evaluation, utility applications and study through full design and operation. Anything from 1mw to ~150mw.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear that once they are obsolete, worn out, the company goes out of business etc, you will have a hard time getting rid of them.  

Oh, and never sell your land.  Rent it out.  Old saying, land is something they aren’t making any more of.
View Quote

Project will be bought and sold numerous times over its life. Projects however are bonded for decommissioning.

Sell vs lease is same as lottery. Lump sum up front for less overall vs 30yr lease for more but over time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
In Alaska ? Know that most solar puts out less than 30% of plated output.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
We are building two and a large battery storage complex right now, like decommissioned windmills good luck with not getting fucked if the company goes bankrupt or shits damaged
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can answer anything you want related to utility scale solar development. I've supported countless solar projects from up front land evaluation, utility applications and study through full design and operation. Anything from 1mw to ~150mw.
View Quote

I don't need the money but the idea of setting up a trust to pay expenses sounds appealing... what are the basics?  would u do it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In Alaska ? Know that most solar puts out less than 30% of plated output.
View Quote

That makes no sense. There are very robust performance modeling tools to predict yearly production of a pv array. A project that doesn't pencil out would never get financing and be built.

These farms, all be it driven by federal and state tax credits and incentives, all make money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Just be ready for disappointment when some person with land next door didn't get in the ask group decides they aren't getting what  they want and use zoning to get the permit denied because of environmental impact, storm water abatement concerns, local high temperature heat islands causing negative environmental effects leading to flooding, soil erosion, water quality damage to the local crik and whatever hell else they dream up.  Green energy, until it's next door and they didn't get a cut.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't need the money but the idea of setting up a trust to pay expenses sounds appealing... what are the basics?  would u do it?
View Quote

Best chance of success is being near 3 phase roadside distribution and close to a substation. Flat terrain without ledge and wetlands. No tall trees outside of intended array for shading.

You don't need all those but the more you have the more you can negotiate on the lease.

Finding a good vs retarded developer can be a challenge. Depends on your state but might be to vet names for you if you want to pm me.

Basic process is a developer pays you to lock up land rights until impact study is done with utility. If it's good they execute the 30yr lease and byild. If it goes tits up you get whatever fee you negotiated and they walk.  Depending upon state and utility the impact study can be 3 months or a year plus.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just be ready for disappointment when some person with land next door didn't get in the ask group decides they aren't getting what  they want and use zoning to get the permit denied because of environmental impact, storm water abatement concerns, local high temperature heat islands causing negative environmental effects leading to flooding, soil erosion, water quality damage to the local crik and whatever hell else they dream up.  Green energy, until it's next door and they didn't get a cut.
View Quote

Solar always brings out the best in people...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Broken materials?
Concrete piers?
How’s that all work?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I keep getting those letters as well...they immediately go in the trash.  I don't even recycle them.  On purpose.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,  and I actually thought highly of them until...

The ag zoning still allows hemp, kudzu and bamboo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This
Broken materials?
Concrete piers?
How’s that all work?
View Quote

Projects carry a decommissioning bond for cost to put back to original state.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
no piers these days its al galvanized metal.
some of the offers seem scammy and heavily toward payment in decades.
other might screw you on inflation an property taxes
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh, and never sell your land.  Rent it out.  Old saying, land is something they aren't making any more of.
View Quote
Make them do a cleaning deposit in escrow.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck no unless the property is a piece of shit that you never use and don't care about.  Lol seriously?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Just spent the last three months fighting big solar . Contacted me mid December after considering the options I declined their offer then we find out the solar company had 2500 acres in leases and some homeowners would be surrounded on 3 sides with solar panels we decided to fight it long story short that 2500 acres grew to 22000 acres in just three months and yesterday our county passed a no solar ordinance it would have destroyed our river valley community . Some solar OK all solar not OK . Look into it find out what they are planning and do what is best for the community
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck no unless the property is a piece of shit that you never use and don't care about.  Lol seriously?
View Quote

The property has three large fields, two of which are out of view.  The girls never go back there and I just shoot deer off them so it would be neither an eyesore or affect use and enjoyment....  The idea of heavy equipment and construction does not appeal to me nor does giving third parties access to my private land so there's that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Project will be bought and sold numerous times over its life. Projects however are bonded for decommissioning.

Sell vs lease is same as lottery. Lump sum up front for less overall vs 30yr lease for more but over time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I was thinking about some of the complaints about wind turbines.  Have heard of landowners stuck with no one to remove them once they are out of operation.  Just something I read about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That makes no sense. There are very robust performance modeling tools to predict yearly production of a pv array. A project that doesn't pencil out would never get financing and be built.

These farms, all be it driven by federal and state tax credits and incentives, all make money.
View Quote

Grift city with all the tax $.  Tell us how you are saving the environment, using chicom panels, made with zero EPA type oversight in Chyna.
Tell us how much fossil fuels are replaced, when in fact the boilers keep burning to be able to make up for the PV when the clouds come over.

We hammered our county commissioners over the grift, and will keep on them till this is made permanent.

The Board of Commissioners approved a Resolution Imposing a Temporary Moratorium on the Submission, Acceptance, Processing, and Approval of any New Land Use or Business that Engages or Operates as a Commercial Solar Farm on Jan. 9 at the administrative public hearing. The temporary moratorium is slated for six months but can conclude sooner should the entire timeframe prove unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Grift city with all the tax $.  Tell us how you are saving the environment, using chicom panels, made with zero EPA type oversight in Chyna.
Tell us how much fossil fuels are replaced, when in fact the boilers keep burning to be able to make up for the PV when the clouds come over.

We hammered our county commissioners over the grift, and will keep on them till this is made permanent.

The Board of Commissioners approved a Resolution Imposing a Temporary Moratorium on the Submission, Acceptance, Processing, and Approval of any New Land Use or Business that Engages or Operates as a Commercial Solar Farm on Jan. 9 at the administrative public hearing. The temporary moratorium is slated for six months but can conclude sooner should the entire timeframe prove unnecessary.
View Quote

So 22k out of how many acres in a county, and with that many landowners going solar, how did you manage to get it stopped?

They've moving in here (Arkansas Delta) and there's a huge landowner family here who has a retired judge/ lawyer who does a lot of property/estate law.   He said under no circumstances would deal with any of these shitbird companies.

A close friend of mine just got out of farming, and is banking on putting about 350 acres in solar for income to live/support his family.   According to him, he has a bond for clean up, has an annual increase build in to cover inflation, any increases in property tax will be on the solar company, and IIRC he's getting about $700/acre.

Besides being a huge eyesore, it SOUNDS good.   But I know it's too good to be true.  I'm just wondering how he'll end up getting fucked.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#25]
A lot of farmers around here are making decent money leasing space for windmills but you obviously have to give them access, and they don't fix their ruts they make accessing the field. Solar is probably similar.

If the company shits the bed they ain't going to come remove them, so expect that to be a possibility.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So 22k out of how many acres in a county, and with that many landowners going solar, how did you manage to get it stopped?

They've moving in here (Arkansas Delta) and there's a huge landowner family here who has a retired judge/ lawyer who does a lot of property/estate law.   He said under no circumstances would deal with any of these shitbird companies.

A close friend of mine just got out of farming, and is banking on putting about 350 acres in solar for income to live/support his family.   According to him, he has a bond for clean up, has an annual increase build in to cover inflation, any increases in property tax will be on the solar company, and IIRC he's getting about $700/acre.

Besides being a huge eyesore, it SOUNDS good.   But I know it's too good to be true.  I'm just wondering how he'll end up getting fucked.
View Quote

Man I don’t know anything about that situation.  Maybe the solar development SME will chime in.
Homeowners can still put in their private arrays.

In our case, the favorable solar land is pretty much now irrigated ag land.  Near roads and power lines, and housing.

We have millions of acres of barren BLM land to put that stuff on, if it was an alternative.  They would need roads and power infrastructure put in, along with fed permission.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#27]
They soak up government subsidies, put in cheap dirty chinese garbage, then the company gets raped and disappears before any maintenance or cleanup has to be done.  It might be okay if you can arrange for some friends to come make some of the panels disappear.  Otherwise not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Bad idea. The companies are scumbags, and they will screw you.

Green field solar should be totally banned. It's just a grift for China and corrupt companies/officials here in the US.

Plenty of warehouses and parking lots they can put the fucking things on. If it was viable, they'd do that, but it doesn't make enough money and smart building and property owners don't want a bunch of trash on their property.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not in today's circumstances.
The land I have is more valuable being farmed and ranched.
It's paid for.
Your circumstances may be different
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#30]
A lease could be some good mailbox money.  Just make sure it says they gotta take all their stuff and restore the land if they ever leave
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lease could be some good mailbox money.  Just make sure it says they gotta take all their stuff and restore the land if they ever leave
View Quote
And be held blameless for any damages or injuries.  But if you're not using the land, why wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This
Broken materials?
Concrete piers?
How's that all work?
View Quote
Most piles are steel. Either driven or helical.  Rarely see concrete piers anymore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#33]
And you came to Club We Hate Solar Panels to ask?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And you came to Club We Hate Solar Panels to ask?

View Quote

Funny enough, there is one expert in this thread - JDodd.  But everyone who is not an expert is talking over him.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Funny enough, there is one expert in this thread - JDodd.  But everyone who is not an expert is talking over him.
View Quote

I don’t doubt JDodd is an expert, on lining up the project and making money off it.  He has yet to tell us how they work out for the end user, us.
Miles of those have gone in, thousands of wind generators .

Anybody seen a utility bill go down?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

What could someone in NH expect to make per month from say 5 acres leased to one of these solar fields? I’ve got 40 acres with a 34.5 three phase line running through the back corner…wouldn’t take much to access and tie in.

We talking a couple thousand a month in income?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#37]
My neighbor that had 200 acres he wasn't using anymore  for hay leased it out to a company .

I drove by the field a coupe of years ago because I use to hunt it and it looks horrible .

I wouldn't want to live next to it
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

mw ?  Or did you mean MW (megaWatts)?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Get a lawyer NOW, not later.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m suspicious of these solar farm companies. They mostly target older farm owners, especially widows. They come in with this offer to lease (never buy) and then construct the solar farm. Just as the farm is being completed a new company becomes the owner, but often I’m still working with the same people. Sometimes just as I’m issuing their final permit to use the company changes again. Seems fishy.

My theory, they are in it for the government incentives. Panels only last so long, and about the time these panels aren’t viable anymore I’m willing to bet a pmag or two that the latest company will vaporize. Farm owner gets stuck with 200 acres of junk solar panels and no use of their land until they find the funds to remove the mess.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Old solar panels are considered toxic waste.  Insist that they use a system where the panels track the course of the sun across the sky.  That gives them up to 40% more energy capture.   The further north you go the less solar panels become economically viable.  Average cloud cover?  

No doubt taxpayer subsidized so if the funds ever disappear so will the company.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#42]
We got $8k up front on mineral rights. Another $8k when the project is complete for 20 mineral acres.  
Surface is better for solar.  Minerals they basically pay you out because you wont be able to access any minerals once covered with panels.
Surface should get monthly checks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#43]
How close are you to a military base? Chinese companies are doing this using solar energy projects as cover.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they're driven by tax credits and incentives they most certainly do not make money
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve got 1000 acres going in down the road from me on a neighbors property.  The dirt county road is destroyed as a result.   They bulldozed and shredded 1000 acres of oak, yaupon, and mesquite.   The workers drive like idiots on their way to work, lunch, and home.   We’ve had a few wrecks as a result.   It’s going to look like crap when it’s done.  

There’s another solar farm nearby.  The school was counting on the increased tax revenue.  They aren’t getting squat out of it.   Everyone has been lied to by these companies.  

I think the landowners are going to get screwed in the end.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#46]
You are a fool if you do it. Land will be destroyed forever.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

On average, how much damage happens to the facilities, equipment and machinery receive from pissed off neighbors?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd be curious if they were going to have batteries on site.  The dirty part about solar green energy is all of the toxic AF batteries.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd be curious if they were going to have batteries on site.  The dirty part about solar green energy is all of the toxic AF batteries.
View Quote
I don't think they normally put any batteries in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Solar for grid power is retarded.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top