Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I think even the beans/no beans people can put their disagreements aside and say with one voice: “Skyline chili is a crime against nature!”
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to school in Cincy for one year and we'd go to the original Skyline on Glenway Ave after midnight.

LaRosa's would also get college students $5 large pizzas.

I still like it albeit not nearly as much as I used to.
View Quote

@M4ger

We went to a LaRosa’s while visiting my wife’s family and actually met Buddy LaRosa. Super nice old guy. He asked me to write down our address, then when we got back home we got a shipment of pizzas on dry ice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I draw the line at 4way with onions.

I can not for the life of me understand the fucking 4way with beans or 5way guys.

First, there are no beans in chili.

Second, there are no beans in spaghetti.

Wtf!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I ate MREs and box nasties from Turkey when I was there.
View Quote

We actually ate a dog one night.

It was wonderful.  Fucker was taunting us , until.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Food of the Gods
View Quote
Word.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been in Cincinnati 3x in my life and I think I’ve had Skyline 4 times. I love it. I love their hot sauce and the little oyster crackers and giant mounds of cheese. We even buy the seasoning mix and make it at home sometimes.

But it’s not proper chili.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's glorious.

It ain't "chili", but who cares? It's delicious all on its own. Whatever it is.
View Quote

Trans-chili.

My chili bigotry keeps me warm.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yesssss! Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip!

And Skyline is a good snack.

Although Cincinatti chili's mere existence creates enormous quantities of butthurt for those who are strict absolutists that demand 100% loyalty to chili in the Tex-Mex tradition.

Even better is the Blue Ash Chili Parlor.

https://blueashchili.com/
View Quote

There is also Queen City chili, and Murray's in Norwood. Those are probably long gone
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@M4ger

We went to a LaRosa’s while visiting my wife’s family and actually met Buddy LaRosa. Super nice old guy. He asked me to write down our address, then when we got back home we got a shipment of pizzas on dry ice.
View Quote

nice!

I remember LaRosa's being the best cold pizza I'd ever had.

I was glad to see Skyline and them bring their businesses to Ky and although I don't eat there very often, they're good to have around for when I do.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
What trips people up is they expect chili.  It's not really chili in what you'd expect if you order chili and you weren't from this area.  Blame the Greek immigrants who brought it here 100 years ago and called it that, probably to make it easier to market.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's glorious.

It ain't "chili", but who cares? It's delicious all on its own. Whatever it is.
View Quote

There are many kinds of chili. It is just one. There is not a single tx style chili, there are many variations. It's all good.
I enjoy the butthurt as texans chime in to ridicule people using the noun chili outside of the state. It's like new yorkers with a different accent.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#13]
It's decent, 4-way w/hot sauce, couple coneys w/hot sauce  
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Cinnamon and cloves DO NOT belong in chili and chili is not served over spaghetti.  Everybody knows that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cinnamon and cloves DO NOT belong in chili and chili is not served over spaghetti.  Everybody knows that.
View Quote

I guess I have to ask... why isn't it just called "fucked up spaghetti?"
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Skyline or Gold Star are both equal in my opinion. Blue Ash Chili is my favorite though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Skyline or Gold Star are both equal in my opinion. Blue Ash Chili is my favorite though.
View Quote

I'm scared to ask but also curious... what eldritch warlock ingredients go into blue ash chili?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ohio/Kentucky might have the worst food on the planet.

People consistently starve to death in Africa and they have come up with better food.
View Quote

Outside of putting spaghetti in the chili flavored beans, and the cornbread, Kentucky food is actually quite good. It’s mostly southern style country food. Texas has brisket and chili and not much else, and even Kentuckians smoke their brisket. If not for the Tejanos, Texas wouldn’t have any foods to brag about.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve never had it but I’d like to try it someday.  

Do the packets do it any justice?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There are many kinds of chili. It is just one. There is not a single tx style chili, there are many variations. It's all good.
I enjoy the butthurt as texans chime in to ridicule people using the noun chili outside of the state. It's like new yorkers with a different accent.
View Quote

Last time I checked Chili is thought to have originated in and around San Antonio by Tejano women to sell to soldiers of various armies. That more or less makes Chili a Texas original and they do have a legitimate reason to complain about some of the abomination to get the title stuck to them. There is only one true chili dish, and its beef cooked in chilis and some spices. The rest need to be renamed to something else.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Cheddar cheese is just shredded yellow plastic and should be removed from society.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Then what makes it Cincinnati chili?
View Quote

Mediterranean immigrants who didn’t think they could sell it as “weird Greek spaghetti sauce.”

I’ve had it, and don’t mind it, but it has essentially nothing in common with what anyone outside the state of Ohio would think of as being “chili” (either Texas style or grocery store ground beef and chili seasoning style).
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I grew up on the stuff and eat it at least once a week. Both local towns have a Gold Star and a Skyline within sight of each other.

IMO Gold Star>Skyline, but either is nice. Blue Ash is good too, but limited locations. Guy Fieri did an episode of DDD at the original Blue Ash location. Mount Washington is good as well, but I think they only have a single location?

2 cheese coneys with mustard and onion, and a 3 way is my usual order. Might make it a 4 way with onions on the side, never beans. Lots of hot sauce and napkins.

I'll never go to a Reds game and not get a (overpriced) cheese coney. For me it is nostalgia.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Super greasy & overrated IMO. If you’re in Cincy check out The Eagle in OTR, good food.
View Quote

Careful with OTR, it goes from new hip stuff to drug dealing ghetto with spent brass in the streets pretty quick. I work on both sides of it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#29]
double
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Fuck your fake bullshit
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#31]
OP is a criminal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I always put cinnamon, chocolate and peanut butter in my chili.
View Quote

Only the first one around here, but cloves and/or allspice as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm from the Cinci area. I like Skyline; prefer coneys rather than spaghetti.

Of course, I also don't think it is the end all be all for chili either.

ETA: no beans
View Quote

Hot dog and pasta sauce, NOT chili.  No one just orders a bowl of it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What makes chili “skyline chili”? I love leftover chili served with noodles, chopped onions and cheese.

Had no idea Ohio puts cinnamon in it. What else makes it skyline chili?
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili#Preparation,_ordering,_serving_and_eating
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As the token native Texan, I’ll save this thread…

WTF??  Bunch of slack jawed faggots in here. That aint good and it aint chili.
View Quote

Two things come from Texas and I don't see any horns....
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cheddar cheese is just shredded yellow plastic and should be removed from society.
View Quote

Choke yourself.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Skyline is my favorite chili!  Best thing is it's real chili.. not pours chili with beans in it.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Honestly though, you want a four-way (onion). Don't get the five-way. Or the four-way (bean). It's not because beans don't belong in chili so much, as it is the dish (proper Cinci fast food "chili") gets screwed up when you try to cut it with a fork, and somebody throws beans in the mix. It's no good.

And you DO cut the noodles, with the edge of your fork. Like a proper gentleman.
View Quote

This^^^. No twirling here. And give me all of your oysters crackers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:37:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#42]
That shit is nasty. I don’t understand how they are in business. I’ve had better food at a traveling carnival.

If you’re backed up it’ll send you running faster than White Castle sliders, so there is that. The only problem is it comes out both ends at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This guy fucks.
View Quote

Sure do

Been eating Cincinnati chili for 40 years. Glad you're keeping some of your Ohio roots alive, even though Texans beat up on a local OH treasure.

Hey Texans, show us your chili cheese fries with lumpy beef stew.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I always put cinnamon, chocolate and peanut butter in my chili.
View Quote

Stop
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:51:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hells yes. Cinci Chili is fucking awesome. I will carry that torch as long as I live.
View Quote

Me as well. Would definitely be on my list of foods for my final meal before my death sentence was carried out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:16:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#48]
The only time I tried it was at a Cinci Reds game. There is or was a Skyline Concession stand in the stadium.   Got two coneys.   I have never had a more awful hotdog.   It could have been that the HD was just disgusting mush, and not made with much actual meat,  or the whole chili/shredded cheese stuff.   Whatever it was beyond bad.
I was not able to finish them and most went in the trash.  
Now maybe that's not a good sampling, being it was at the baseball park and not one of the regular locations.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As the token native Texan, I’ll save this thread…

WTF??  Bunch of slack jawed faggots in here. That aint good and it aint chili.
View Quote

Everyone knows faggots are from "Kansas City", token native asshat

Blazing Saddles _ Kansas City Faggots

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Surprisingly less haters than normal in one of these threads. Still, more Skyline for me! Fuck goldstar though, only poor hillbilly westsiders eat Goldstar.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top