BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/24/2022 6:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARHank]
Attachment Attached File

I'm hesitant to start a thread about her because I don't know how fast or how far I'll go with it. Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated.

Rosey is an '87 Buick Turbo T with a 3.8 liter turbo charged V6. She's an Arizona car with just under 50k original miles. I can't tell you how many were a 1/4 at a time. My brother in law moved out of state and abandoned her at my house. He's had her for maybe 15-20 years.

We used to race her until he shacked up with a chick that didn't like going to the track. He putted Rosey around the neighborhood for a while after that, until she couldn't pass emissions. He swapped factory injectors back in and tried messing with this and that but couldn't get it through. So,. she got parked and has been sitting ever since. I'd guess it hasn't moved in ten years.

BIL sort of moved in a hurry and had many toys. He left the Buick with me probably hoping that I'd make him an offer. I still don't know what to do with it but if it's going to sit at my house, it's gotta move under it's own power.

This thread will me be getting her going. First thing is dropping the tank.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: K5 on page three.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
In before all the guys who dream of finding something like that to fix up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.  Do it!
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Smells bad!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#4]
Wht kind of smog bullshit has Az got?

Any sort of moving exemption?

In the 90s when I was about to get my license, Ca exempted anything 20 years or older.

Then 1994 I get my license and they stopped the moving 20 year stuff.   Fuckin bullshit.

If I leave Ca I will be going some place with no smog laws.  EPA be damned.  95 Cobra will likely get a carbed 351 based engine.

Had a 90% built 331 planned to go in the 95 when I decided not to further mess with a running car that still passed Ca smog.

Put the 331 into a 66 project that I got in 2017 and let sit til 2020(with a full tank of gas that entire time).
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By uglygun:

In the 90s when I was about to get my license, Ca exempted anything 20 years or older.

Then 1994 I get my license and they stopped the moving 20 year stuff.   Fuckin bullshit.

If I leave Ca I will be going some place with no smog laws.  EPA be damned.  95 Cobra will likely get a carbed 351 based engine.

Had a 90% built 331 planned to go in the 95 when I decided not to further mess with a running car that still passed Ca smog.

Put the 331 into a 66 project that I got in 2017 and let sit til 2020(with a full tank of gas that entire time).
View Quote

Where i live in Texas, a state inspection consists of horn works, lights work, brakes work, check book works.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By uglygun:

View Quote
It is old enough now that you can apply for historic and skip emissions. Never really matter before. It's multiport fuel injection in '87. It only had to perform as well as carborated cars. Which it did with all the go fast stuff... until it didn't.

The biggest fear was always worrying about the emissions nimrod keeping it on the rollers. "Now this car's really fast. It just takes a bit before it builds boost. So take it easy". Whizzzzzz!

You ever seen a car spin the tires on a dyno at the emissions station?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Would have ordered the pumps (yeah pumps) before I pulled the tank but I didn't know what to order. I tested the sender and it's bad. So I am going to slam in an OEM for now. It's bad

Attachment Attached File

Part of the reason for starting the thread was to share a bit of history of how mother fuckers went fast in the 90s and early 2000s. This was a bad bitch in her day. She ran low 10s consistently.

It has dual pump setup. One wired up like factory with a second controlled by a Hobbs switch. When the boost came up, the second pump kicked on. There is better shit available now. So rather than figure it out, we'll just put her back to stock and get her running.

Attachment Attached File

I vacuumed out the tank but it's going to need more love. Do rad shops still clean these or does everyone just replace them with Chinese garbage?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Fun project!

I'm sure since it's a G-body there's tons of stuff available, but when you start to get into it, go with stainless and teflon in the fuel system. Impervious to everything. There's E85 rated pumps that'll support a ton of horsepower even as singles now and should fit (or fit with minor changes) in the factory pump setup.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARHank] [#9]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
Fun project!

I'm sure since it's a G-body there's tons of stuff available, but when you start to get into it, go with stainless and teflon in the fuel system. Impervious to everything. There's E85 rated pumps that'll support a ton of horsepower even as singles now and should fit (or fit with minor changes) in the factory pump setup.
View Quote
Yeah, way cool shit available nowadays. We used to drive it to the track. He ran 93 regularly. We'd coast in on fuems, jump the aux pump and drain the rest out through the shrader on the fuel rail. Dump in the leaded race gas and crank the boost!

Looked at:
https://fullthrottlespeed.com/products/racetronix-gen2-stainless-fuel-pump-sender-w-single-450lph-pump-for-turbo-buick-gn-t-type

But ordered a OEM Delphi.

ETA: Slicks, fuel, tools and lawn chairs fit in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a GNX once and briefly. Prior owner had gone to town on it beefing it up. It would crease the roofline if you launched it hard. Wiggly body, fast as shit. Intensely difficult to keep it running on 40lbs of boost.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Had a GNX once and briefly. Prior owner had gone to town on it beefing it up. It would crease the roofline if you launched it hard. Wiggly body, fast as shit. Intensely difficult to keep it running on 40lbs of boost.
View Quote
I always wanted an FBI GNX with a shotgun rack.

I'll post more pics of the anti-wiggly modifications. She launched pretty straight but would lift one wheel before the other.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I think more people now know what a Grand National is then they did 20 years ago. Nobody really knew about the Turbo Regals. You could basically print money with this back in the day. Dudes in Z06s we're the best. You just had to tree them and let them think they were gaining on you. Then you could go double or nothing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh man, please keep this going.  You are working on my dream car.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My dream Buick was always a white one with the color match bumper option. Kind of the anti-grand national.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The older I get the more I like the chrome but I still like white. I found one like this that we just couldn't come together on price. Of course nowadays, the price would be considered a steal.

Attachment Attached File

I almost threw out an @Spaceboy when I started this thread. You showed me the light with the "new school" obd1 tech, some time back. Nothing like reading live data from your '87 K5 off your cell phone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Mmmmmmm G body

Those are the only old cars I still lust after.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell yeah, sweet car.  Those and the GN's were about the only good car to come out of the 80's.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I love Grandma cars that haul ass.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NIevo:
Hell yeah, sweet car.  Those and the GN's were about the only good car to come out of the 80's.
View Quote
Them's fighting words
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:02:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NIevo] [#19]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
Them's fighting words
View Quote

Lol....name a handful of others that were worth a damn.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#20]
BIL is the third owner. His mechanic, Nick who specialized in GNs, put him in touch with this guy who was selling it. Rosey was his name for the car as it's color is Rosewood. He said that he bought it from an old man, the original owner in the early 90s and started building it up to race.

Trigger warning:
Click To View Spoiler

These didn't sell well. Buick's customer base came in for a luxury American car that was less flashy than a Cadillac. Most couldn't understand why the flagship model didn't come with the V8. It was ahead of it's time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Them's fighting words
View Quote

1973 to 1993 were a black hole of just awful cars, with several exceptions.

1989 t/a turbo
The turbo buicks
The typhoon/syclone
(A few Japanese cars worth mentioning)

That's about it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Love the car. Always wanted one, or a GN, or a typhoon/syclone.

Just be careful about dumping too much money into a car you don't own.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#23]
A coworker who I've worked with for 15 years often brings up this "super fast Regal he bought new in the late 80's".  

Fucking guy has no idea what he owned and I'll never tell him
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By takdriver:

1989 t/a turbo
The turbo buicks
The typhoon/syclone

That's about it.
View Quote
Turbo TAs were cheap for a while. They were the first car to pace Indy with no performance modifications.

The Turbo Buicks are the first cars GM released that were faster than the Corvette in the same model year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#25]
That car would be worth it’s weight in gold here.

Rust ate everything.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fttam:
That car would be worth it’s weight in gold here.

Rust ate everything.
View Quote

I told OP through a different convo about a supposed GNX here.  It was definitely a GN, dunno enough to identify the fake GNX's, anywho...  Old man car, bought new by owner, garage kept.   Looks like the condition of most cars you see 90 year olds driving around; as in you can tell they took care of it, they garaged it, etc., but it's still just a car to them.

Point is, they are out there, even in the north.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Ordering a new tank. This is probably the only state where they'll rust on the inside faster than the outside.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ARHank:
Turbo TAs were cheap for a while. They were the first car to pace Indy with no performance modifications.

The Turbo Buicks are the first cars GM released that were faster than the Corvette in the same model year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By takdriver:

1989 t/a turbo
The turbo buicks
The typhoon/syclone

That's about it.

80s junk was magic.  C10s, K5s, third gen f bodies, fox bodies, g bodies, b bodies, and don't get me started on the station wagons!

They finally ditched the size and weight of the 70s and the styling was way better, they just had no performance.

I can't wait to see how your T comes along.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#29]
80s junk was magic.  C10s, K5s, third gen f bodies, fox bodies, g bodies, b bodies, and don't get me started on the station wagons!

They finally ditched the size and weight of the 70s and the styling was way better, they just had no performance.

I can't wait to see how your T comes along.
View Quote
You still have your F that was in your avatar?

Smashed Y's were good for stealing motors out of for R/V & C/K applications.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#30]
You still have your F that was in your avatar?

Smashed Y's were good for stealing motors out of for R/V & C/K applications.
View Quote
Sure do, I mainly take the C10 out and about if I'm doing car stuff but it gets driven about every other month.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plasticseng] [#31]
Buddy Ingersoll approves.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Waiting on the new tank bump.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#33]
My dream Buick was always a white one with the color match bumper option. Kind of the anti-grand national.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/87whitettype1_jpg-2538959.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/001-1987-turbo-buick_jpg-2538960.JPG

The older I get the more I like the chrome but I still like white. I found one like this that we just couldn't come together on price. Of course nowadays, the price would be considered a steal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/1987-buick-regal-t-type_jpg-2538963.JPG

I almost threw out an @Spaceboy when I started this thread. You showed me the light with the "new school" obd1 tech, some time back. Nothing like reading live data from your '87 K5 off your cell phone.
View Quote

That second car with the GNX flares and C4 turbines is almost perfect.

I’m an Olds guy but add GNX flares and this is my dream G-Body.

Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:44:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KA3B] [#34]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
A coworker who I've worked with for 15 years often brings up this "super fast Regal he bought new in the late 80's".  
Fucking guy has no idea what he owned and I'll never tell him
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#35]
This is probably the last time Rosey was at the track. It was 2006.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/2/2022 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#36]
That is a badass Buick!!!  I would get it going an leave it as is, i.e. sleeper mode.  But I would be very tempted to make a GN clone though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#37]
With stock pump, when you get it running don’t lean on it. Hate to see it lean pop a cylinder or 6.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:
That is a badass Buick!!!  I would get it going an leave it as is, i.e. sleeper mode.  But I would be very tempted to make a GN clone though.
View Quote
No clones. There were actually less Turbo Ts built in 87 than GNs. I wouldn't want to devalue it.

Originally Posted By zoe17:
With stock pump, when you get it running don't lean on it. Hate to see it lean pop a cylinder or 6.
View Quote
We'll be putting stock injectors in and turning the boost down, for now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#39]
My old boss has a 86 hot air car he just brought home from his sister in laws. It had a rebuilt motor 15 years ago and never got driven after the rebuild. He knows how
Much I love his warmed over 87 GN so of course he’s offering it to me but I think it’s just so he doesn’t have to deal with figuring out what all needs replacing on it
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Giving me flashbacks!

My High school car was a '78 Turbo Regal. I was a minor gear head but my dad had a major gearhead buddy who was a Buick junkie.  By the time I got it it needed some love so the buddy offered to rebuild it.  It was really something else even with the stock 2.73 gears...ended up putting some 3.42s in it.  Good friend in HS had an '87 GN.  From about 15mph up to about 65mph I could hang with him but before or after nope.

Sure do miss that old ride.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NIevo:
View Quote

You forgot the Monte Carlo Aero coupes.
No power from factory though. Had to swap in a TPI motor for that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry for the delay. The tank hasn't shipped yet. I'm calling next week.

Side story:

The fuel pump went out in my Suburban. [Man, I feel like I replaced that not too long ago]
Attachment Attached File

Mother fucker. It didn't make it a year! I've cursed GM and their decline in  "OEM" standards all week.

Well, the hose burst.
Attachment Attached File

It looks like garbage chinesium plastic with no markings. So I need good hose.

I wanted to replace the orings to the sender when I did it last year but couldn't find any in the garage on a Sunday.

So, off to the parts store. I pick up seven fuel pressure and three return line orings from the dealership and one foot of 5/16, J30R10 fuel line from NAPA.
Attachment Attached File

Ouch

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks Striker.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I never could find a decent T or GN so I had to settle for an '86 442
Had a lot of fun with that car
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
I never could find a decent T or GN so I had to settle for an '86 442
Had a lot of fun with that car
View Quote
My stepdad has a nice '78 442 pace car edition. It's pretty sweet.

Soon ...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#47]
My stepdad has a nice '78 442 pace car edition. It's pretty sweet.

Soon ...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/Screenshot_20221013-165957_png-2562052.JPG
View Quote
Is it one of the hatchback ones?  Those are rare as hell.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Oops, I lied. It looks like his is a '74. It's been a while since I have seen it. He's got a few choice old cars and this one's in the back of the "she'd".

This isn't his but it looks just like it. It's a hard top with the two tone vinyl top. It was supposed to look like a convertible with a roll bar or something.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/01/1974-oldsmobile-442-indy-pace-car-for-sale/

He found it in a field with only 60k on the clock. His dad went with him to pick it up. His dad, an old rancher, thought he was fucking crazy for buying it. A total waste of $800. He said it was the ugliest car he'd ever seen. Why did someone put all those ugly stickers on it. They got done loading it on the trailer and the old man went back to get the railroad ties it was sitting on. He told my stepdad he wanted to get his money's worth.

Stepdad had it back on the road right away. We fixed it up pretty nice. He's a big believer in it's only got factory paint once so the exterior isn't perfect but looks pretty good for it's age. The interior looks brand new. The motor and transmission have been gone through. Will spin doughnuts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 12:24:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#49]
Oops, I lied. It looks like his is a '74. It's been a while since I have seen it. He's got a few choice old cars and this one's in the back of the "she'd".

This isn't his but it looks just like it. It's a hard top with the two tone vinyl top. It was supposed to look like a convertible with a roll bar or something.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/1974-Oldsmobile-442-Indy-Pace-Car-White--2562286.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/1974-Oldsmobile-442-Indy-Pace-Car-White--2562288.JPG
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/01/1974-oldsmobile-442-indy-pace-car-for-sale/

He found it in a field with only 60k on the clock. His dad went with him to pick it up. His dad, an old rancher, thought he was fucking crazy for buying it. A total waste of $800. He said it was the ugliest car he'd ever seen. Why did someone put all those ugly stickers on it. They got done loading it on the trailer and the old man went back to get the railroad ties it was sitting on. He told my stepdad he wanted to get his money's worth.

Stepdad had it back on the road right away. We fixed it up pretty nice. He's a big believer in it's only got factory paint once so the exterior isn't perfect but looks pretty good for it's age. The interior looks brand new. The motor and transmission have been gone through. Will spin doughnuts.
View Quote

That would be a 1974 Hurst Olds. Some upgrades over the 442 and worth considerably more.

Interesting fact most don’t know. The 84’ Hurst Olds and 85-87 442 along with the 84-87 Buick turbo cars were the only G-Bodies to get the 8.5” rear end. The 8.5” rear exists because of a 1982 developed 5 speed Olds concept that got axed last minute in 1984.

The only reason Olds still got the 8.5” was because the Cutlass was supposed to be the blacked out specialty car, not the GN. The FE3X Cutlass concept looked like a GNX and was the first ready for production car GM made to hold over 1G on the skid pad. GM decided they wanted a car to go fast in a straight line instead of a road course so they amped up the 3.8 with an inter cooler and gave Buick the black out treatment instead. They even gave Buick the “X” too.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:00:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: icemann0] [#50]
BIL is the third owner. His mechanic, Nick who specialized in GNs, put him in touch with this guy who was selling it. Rosey was his name for the car as it's color is Rosewood. He said that he bought it from an old man, the original owner in the early 90s and started building it up to race.

Trigger warning:
Click To View Spoiler

These didn't sell well. Buick's customer base came in for a luxury American car that was less flashy than a Cadillac. Most couldn't understand why the flagship model didn't come with the V8. It was ahead of it's time.
View Quote

I sold Buicks in New Orleans and all anybody wanted to see was a loaded "Duece and a Quarter" (Electra 225) or a "Ravara" (Rivera) so I had several Regal Turbo's for my daily demo. Hell of a lot of fun. I always wanted a blacked out FBI version with the go fast chip
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top