Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2021 4:10:43 PM EDT
New 1500 with 6,500 miles (bought it with 66 miles 4 months ago). Engine went to shit yesterday and they are submitting it for a new engine. But when they say new, they want me to accept a remanufactured engine. A remanufactured engine in my brand new truck. I told them I didn't want a like new engine in my brand new truck, but they contend corporate will only send a remanufactured one. Not remotely happy about it because for one, fuck that, and two, what kind of depreciation will that cause my truck?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for the answer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The engine being replaced really doesn't have much effect on value.

As long as it is a factory remanufactured engine, there is a chance it may be actually better than the OEM.  

What happened?  Valve train?

Did they give you a loaner?  Will they give you a free extended warranty?  My brother negotiated for both of these things.

Will they give you a new truck?  It is worth asking.  FCA bought back my 2012 Ram with 48K on the clock for full purchase price.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That's kinda fucked up.

I'd imagine something like that would be listed in some sort of history. Will it have any effect on resale value?

If so, a 4 month old truck I'd want a new one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd want a new engine as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I see this complaint so often. "I bought something new, used it for a while and it shit the bed, now they don't want to give a brand new replacement\part, fucking bullshit!"

It boggles the mind that so many people are still confused about how shit works and don't read their warranty terms.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
5.7 Hemi?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
New 1500 with 6,500 miles (bought it with 66 miles 4 months ago). Engine went to shit yesterday and they are submitting it for a new engine. But when they say new, they want me to accept a remanufactured engine. A remanufactured engine in my brand new truck. I told them I didn't want a like new engine in my brand new truck, but they contend corporate will only send a remanufactured one. Not remotely happy about it because for one, fuck that, and two, what kind of depreciation will that cause my truck?
View Quote

Reman? Bullshit.

A guy here at work had one shit the bed as well. He got a brand new crate engine put in by the dealer on warranty.

Hold firm and demand no less than a new one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see this complaint so often. "I bought something new, used it for a while and it shit the bed, now they don't want to give a brand new replacement\part, fucking bullshit!"

It boggles the mind that so many people are still confused about how shit works and don't read their warranty terms.
View Quote
4 months isn't really a while though. That's the point. I probably hasn't even had it's first oil change. Than is not really acceptable for a modern vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell them you won’t accept anything less and let your truck sit on their service lot.

You’ll agree to it in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
RAM = DODGE.

Never Again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don’t trust dodge to machine the replacement engine, why buy the truck in the first place?

They did all the work on the first engine...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if its the dealer pushing it so they get full value for the job and pocket the difference in price for the reman vs factory oem?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Reman? Bullshit.

A guy here at work had one shit the bed as well. He got a brand new crate engine put in by the dealer on warranty.

Hold firm and demand no less than a new one.
View Quote

my thoughts exactly, make sure that the service rep knows your name and can expect a call daily

make the salesperson miserable, and visit with the owner

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Ram has been jerking me off since last February when I bought my 2019 ram 2500.

SUPPOSEDLY the fkn antilock brake modual will be delivered to the dealer march 5th.

The truck throws the code multiple times a fkn week and when it does it disables ABS, 4x4, stability control, traction control and trailer brakes.

Tire pressure randomly fails to read as well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Call around to other dealerships and talk to the service manager, see what they say.  
Call corporate and ask them, post on all their social media sites.  Someone will probably contact you
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I would want a new engine, but somewhere in all the contractual bullshit you signed it probably addresses this with some "at the discretion of FCA"
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#17]
tell them to pound sand and you want any and all money back and go buy a ford.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
After 4 months? It's not like I'm a month from my warranty expiring.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ram has been jerking me off since last February when I bought my 2019 ram 2500.

SUPPOSEDLY the fkn antilock brake modual will be delivered to the dealer march 5th.

The truck throws the code multiple times a fkn week and when it does it disables ABS, 4x4, stability control, traction control and trailer brakes.

Tire pressure randomly fails to read as well.
View Quote
A failure at any wheel rotation sensor will cause this exact issue.  (I caused the failure and I know this)  Your cruise control also will not work and it won't go into overdrive..............

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
My brother got a brand new engine 1k out of warranty, so nothing is cut and dried.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The engine being replaced really doesn't have much effect on value.

As long as it is a factory remanufactured engine, there is a chance it may be actually better than the OEM.  

What happened?  Valve train?

Did they give you a loaner?  Will they give you a free extended warranty?  My brother negotiated for both of these things.

Will they give you a new truck?  It is worth asking.  FCA bought back my 2012 Ram with 48K on the clock for full purchase price.
View Quote
Two cylinders misfiring. One is damaged and they can't get any compression in one of the cylinders when they test it. They can't find what's causing it either. I asked if the engine warranty would be extended and they said it would only be covered for the remainder of my factory warranty. They gave me a rental that is too small for me and I suspect they charge the rental to Chrysler.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]
In before "should bought a Toyota"
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start counting the days it's down.  Goes too long and you can just Lemon Law it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two cylinders misfiring. One is damaged and they can't get any compression in one cylinders when they test it. They can't find what's causing it either. I asked if the engine warranty would be extended and they said it would only be covered for the remainder of my factory warranty. They gave me a rental that is too small for me and I suspect they charge the rental to Chrysler.
View Quote
Hopefully they pulled the plugs and looked into the cylinder with a bore scope.  My brother had 1/2 a piston that fell the fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hopefully they pulled the plugs and looked into the cylinder with a bore scope.  My brother had 1/2 a piston that fell the fuck off.
View Quote
They did scope it and found a damaged piston.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Start counting the days it's down.  Goes too long and you can just Lemon Law it.
View Quote
I did check into our laws on that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t think value will be affected, but I feel for you. That is beyond frustrating. A new truck is a huge purchase and for that kind of money, they should apologize profusely and already have a new engine in it. Dealing with dealers and corporate is no fun
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
it's part of the warranty, unfortunately

get a hellcat crate motor and ask them to eat half of the cost
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, what motor are we talking about???
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
it's part of the warranty, unfortunately

get a hellcat crate motor and ask them to eat half of the cost
View Quote
Could also have a dealer installed supercharger done on the reman.  They are already eating the labor.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did they show you the pictures?  I saw the pictures.  Front fell off.  No other cause than a defective piston.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP, what motor are we talking about???
View Quote
5.7L
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow, that's really a shit situation to be in, hope it works out.
This just enforces my thoughts that I will NEVER EVER buy a Ram.
I don't care how good they look now and what anybody says about them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
No way I’d accept that. Brand new motor or a brand new truck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lay off the CNN yo. Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
5.7L
View Quote

Standard or e-torque?  

Hope you get it worked out!  Just have to get the correct person to listen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#37]
This is why I leased.  My 2020 just started leaking water into the cab and mold is growing on the carpet.. they're taking it in next week to 'fit' it but who knows.  It's only my problem for another 10 months.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#38]
It's all B.S., you do without and there is no compensation. They make your payment? Been in similar circumstances and the dealer/factory could care less. I bought a 2019 just because of that engine, iron block pushrod w/ millions manufactured
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't think it really matters
I'd be surprised if anybody ever gets a brand new engine, unless it's new enough design to not have remans sitting around.
as has been mentioned, Dodge built the original engine, if it's a factory reman it should be good as or better than new.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In before "should bought a Toyota"
View Quote

Bought the wife a certified 1-yr old Highlander. Front fell off on the way home (Bumper cover dislodged, massive gaps everywhere). Called Toyota and they told me to pound sand, bumper not part of warranty. Called multiple times/people, same answer.

So yeah, Toyota warranty can get bent too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Be sure to call and log ticket with corporate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
tell them to pound sand and you want any and all money back and go buy a ford.
View Quote

FLOL!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Standard or e-torque?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.7L

Standard or e-torque?  

I believe it is standard. I don't even know what e-torque is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Let me be the devil's advocate here.

For all those that are saying demand hand hold fast for a brand new factory engine. How in the hell would you know it it was one or the other????

Just asking for myself.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Warranty reman =/= Jasper. It's going to be a remanufactured factory engine either rebuilt from something that didn't originally pass QA/QC or some other poor fools engine that blowed up and got sent back to be reconditioned.

You're not going to just have a bunch of spare new longblocks just hanging around for no good reason.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

For all those that are saying demand hand hold fast for a brand new factory engine. How in the hell would you know it it was one or the other????

Just asking for myself.
View Quote
Well to be honest I wouldn't have known had I not asked and then would have been murderous if carfax reports it later down the road the engine was a rebuild.  To me it is a matter of principle and not wanting my vehicle to possibly be devalued by it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Warranty reman =/= Jasper. It's going to be a remanufactured factory engine either rebuilt from something that didn't originally pass QA/QC or some other poor fools engine that blowed up and got sent back to be reconditioned.

You're not going to just have a bunch of spare new longblocks just hanging around for no good reason.
View Quote
They have to have some spares around. And according to my wife's uncle who used to work for GM, he had the authority to have a brand new motor taken off the line and be used for these kind of situations. He told me get a new engine or make them buy the truck back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They have to have some spares around. And according to my wife's uncle who used to work for GM, he had the authority to have a brand new motor taken off the line and be used for these kind of situations. He told me get a new engine or make them buy the truck back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well good luck with that. You should look up your states lemon laws too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just asking for myself.
View Quote

You wouldn't.  It would all be in the paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top