Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2024 3:14:45 PM EDT
I know this a 3d printing forum, but I could not find an arfcom forum for my issue.  I came to this forum before and you solved my problem when no one else could.

The mother board on my computer died.  I do not have the skills to replace it and so ordered a new refurbished computer.  I bought a docking station to access the old HD but could not get it to work.  I have now tried a HD adapter and still no luck.  I tried this on two machines and there isn't even a letter showing a drive is there.  Shouldn't I have to do something to the old HD to tell it is not the main HD, but is now an external HD?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#1]
The better arfcom forum for that question would be this one:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Urban-Commandos/124/

(And, typically you should be able to take the 'primary' hard drive from one computer and, using an adapter, connect it as a non-primary drive to a different computer, without having to do anything special other than hooking it up.)

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
When you power up the HDD, can you feel it spin up?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#4]
Your adapter could be the problem you may need a externally powered adapter.  What model hard drive I had this problem?

something like this but for your specific drive.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCFQ9C3/
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:38:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PiGood] [#5]
Long story short, take it to a decently knowledgeable IT guy.

In many cases you can't just unplug a hard drive from a computer and pop it in an external reader an pull the data off them any more. GPT, and encryption can make it a bit of a pain even for the seasoned IT guy.

And that is assuming the motherboard didn't take the drive with it, which is not all that uncommon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, one and all.  This hard drive worked fine in another older desk top computer.  I can hear it spinning in both adapters.  The two adapters I have are both externally powered.  It is not worth it to me to pay someone to fix it.  It is apparently defective now anyway.  I get the same result with an older new in wrapper HD I was going to put in my laptop.  Oh well I learned something.

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top