Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really have a solution to this, and I'm not suggesting one, but if I might opine for a moment:

1. Those "news" sources. Really? Really?
2. I'm a bit miffed that GD has basically turned into the angry comment section of other people's content, over the past several years. Seriously - most of the threads in GD these days are basically "Here's a link to some shit somebody else wrote and/or filmed. It makes me angry and/or anxious about things. How 'bout you? Discuss".

It's sort of depressing.

Anyway - back to your thread.
View Quote
problem us, most of the news sources these days are completely untrustworthy.
Al Jazira News seems OK, I think?  I don't fucking know who to trust anymore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Reader's Digest version:  Deng Xiaoping followed Mao and was generally more progressive, heading the CCP but forming consensus party leadership with two other leaders (although it was clear he was boss).

Xi followed in 2012 and consolidated all levers of power, purging and marginalizing competition.  If you read "Convicted of corruption" it simply means "Was wiped out."

Wanting to show he is more powerful than Mao ever was means he has to kill lots of opposition.

Stalin killed-purged between 16 and 24 million, between opponents and WWII casualties.  

Scholars estimate Mao killed around 32 million over his tenure/reign.

Xi will have to post Pro numbers if he's to hold power (if he hasn't already been arrested and marginalized, purged, or killed like Kruschev after the Cuban Missile Crisis).  

His opponents don't like that they've been marginalized.  They're all politicians.

It's going to come down to his Party and PLA loyalists.

The Chinese may tolerate communists, but it's in their history and culture.  They LIKE being emperors and warlords -- if they're the ones with guns and power.  

Xi promised prosperity and wealth, but their economy is slowing-tanking.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I call BS
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I call BS
View Quote

It appears to be bs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not quite China, but close enough.

View Quote

Guess it’s demand for wheat time of year again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Reader's Digest version:  Deng Xiaoping followed Mao and was generally more progressive, heading the CCP but forming consensus party leadership with two other leaders (although it was clear he was boss).

Xi followed in 2012 and consolidated all levers of power, purging and marginalizing competition.  If you read "Convicted of corruption" it simply means "Was wiped out."

Wanting to show he is more powerful than Mao ever was means he has to kill lots of opposition.

Stalin killed-purged between 16 and 24 million, between opponents and WWII casualties.  

Scholars estimate Mao killed around 32 million over his tenure/reign.

Xi will have to post Pro numbers if he's to hold power (if he hasn't already been arrested and marginalized, purged, or killed like Kruschev after the Cuban Missile Crisis).  

His opponents don't like that they've been marginalized.  They're all politicians.

It's going to come down to his Party and PLA loyalists.

The Chinese may tolerate communists, but it's in their history and culture.  They LIKE being emperors and warlords -- if they're the ones with guns and power.  

Xi promised prosperity and wealth, but their economy is slowing-tanking.
View Quote
He certainly sees himself as the next Mao.  Getting re-appointed to a 3rd term is the marker.  He already wrote his own version of Mao's Thoughts.

I'm leaning towards whatever is going on it's Xi taking out opposition.

There was already rumors that the crazy long lockdown of Shanghi wasn't really covid, it was Xi keeping his opposition from organizing and rounding them up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]

And the Ghost of Kiev is in the same shot.  Who knew that Zalenski of Ukraine and his Ghost could take down both Putin and Xi?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've done launches every month this year save for July.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nuclear stuff in the Sea of Japan?  

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not upset over the quality of the linked content (well...maybe I am a little), quite as much as I'm miffed over the fact that we've basically become the angry comment section for somebody else's content.

I don't know how to fix it (it's not an arfcom-specific thing - it's kind of a cultural bug), but it depresses me a little.

I just took a look at my Facebook feed. A good 75% of it, is people hitting the "share" button, or just copy/pasting a link to something they didn't create. Followed by angry comments, usually. This isn't unique to Arfcom. But I'm still bummed about it.
View Quote
It's actually easy to fix. Don't allow it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Citizen Free Press is a ragebait site. Enjoy driving clicks for shitbags.
View Quote

Sorry, but I don’t go to Citizen Free Press when I want to crank one out when I’m angry.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it had to guess what's really happening is that Xi is consolidating power and what has been bouncing around right wing clickbait media is a combination of wishful thinking from Falun Gong cultists and deliberate disinformation.
View Quote

Sitting here trying to figure out how it could benefit xi (or any other tyrant) to have rumors of his death circulate.  

Maybe to cause his enemies both at home and abroad to pause, enough to give him time to execute some disloyals before anyone realized what's going on?  

When a real coup happens it's confusion for days.  If you want to head off a coup, be the one that creates that confusion and take advantage of it to execute a well crafted plan to roll some heads.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]
This all because Xi let Pelosi visit Taiwan.

Weakness on display.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sitting here trying to figure out how it could benefit xi (or any other tyrant) to have rumors of his death circulate.  

Maybe to cause his enemies both at home and abroad to pause, enough to give him time to execute some disloyals before anyone realized what's going on?  

When a real coup happens it's confusion for days.  If you want to head off a coup, be the one that creates that confusion and take advantage of it to execute a well crafted plan to roll some heads.  

View Quote
It doesn't, but Falun Gong associated propaganda outlets often releases disinformation against the CCP (not that I'm complaining). The Taiwanese, the South Koreans, the Japanese and the US would also have reasons to make it appear that Xi is losing power when he is in fact consolidating it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
problem us, most all of the news sources these days are completely untrustworthy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

probably worse...Xe and Putin are actually the moderates in their countries...something very few here seem to realize....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's say some of this is true. Xi is under house arrest.

Is this coup for the better or worse? IE  is a more evil person stepping up?

probably worse...Xe and Putin are actually the moderates in their countries...something very few here seem to realize....

Not really.  The guy before Xi was the moderate one. He wanted proximity and collaboration with the West.  Xi is all for going back to Mao's philosophy and implementing a more radical commie agenda.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

...snip...

View Quote

It's a very good way to out people commies who have expectations.  The first commie purge kills the intelligentsia who know how to run a non-commie (i..e. better) government, so there's no going back.  Subsequent purges get rid of what I call expectant commies--the ones not in the leader's orbit who have 'outside' expectations.  I try to make the exceptionally rare true believers that I meet understand that any expectation except the sincere offer of your labor will put you to the sword--that if you don't, your head will roll before mine.  You will either work the fields with your labor or you will fertilize it with your body.   Such fools they are.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, lets say that Xi is gone, will the new leader(s) expose Biden & son?
View Quote

Nah, it would work like a cooperate takeover.  

Cut Xiden's take in half to 5% and demand twice as much from him.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Is he dead yet?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Chinese military coup, you want another dictator in an hour.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
If true, then this will probably mean that Russia will deploy additional forces in the Asiatic until a better understanding of the political situation in China can be analyzed. This will do nothing to help stimulate Putin's military forces in Ukraine. This event, if true, could result in a cooling off period between Russia and China as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not really.  The guy before Xi was the moderate one. He wanted proximity and collaboration with the West.  Xi is all for going back to Mao's philosophy and implementing a more radical commie agenda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Communist China has never been run by moderates.  Their policies vis-a-vis the West have always been driven by a combination of perceived needs and relative power.  When China was poor, backwards, and weak, they played the moderate game.  As they have increased in power they have increased their aggressiveness, but they have always had imperial ambitions.  There were senior Chinese generals writing about the need to exterminate the American population with biological weapons so the Chinese could have living space 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It doesn't, but Falun Gong associated propaganda outlets often releases disinformation against the CCP (not that I'm complaining). The Taiwanese, the South Koreans, the Japanese and the US would also have reasons to make it appear that Xi is losing power when he is in fact consolidating it.
View Quote

Very much the same techniques we tried on Putin earlier this year, with dismal results.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Very much the same techniques we tried on Putin earlier this year, with dismal results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, but I do think that the players are much different in this game.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]
It was fake the whole time. Recall the bombers. Xi is fine. There never was a coup.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
The rumors were likely started by the Kissinger/Soros Worshipping State Dept/CIA.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#27]

In 2001 he wrote

Attachment Attached File

maybe he's knowledgeable, but maybe he's ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't really have a solution to this, and I'm not suggesting one, but if I might opine for a moment:

2. I'm a bit miffed that GD has basically turned into the angry comment section of other people's content, over the past several years. Seriously - most of the threads in GD these days are basically "Here's a link to some shit somebody else wrote and/or filmed. It makes me angry and/or anxious about things. How 'bout you? Discuss".

It's sort of depressing.

The problem hasn't changed. You have to look at everything with some skepticism and apply your own ability to draw your conclusions from tools available to you.

A tweet says there are no planes flying over China. You have the capability to use resources on your own and determine if this is fact or lie. Then using what you learned independently you are able to draw some conclusions of your own on the veracity. Of course this means weighing some probabilities. Is it likely a coup was performed AND someone is spoofing typical air traffic over China using ADS-B? Doubt it. Is there weather in specific areas? Are there any videos of the fighting or coup like there have been during every other modern coup?
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is Hunter out of business?  Will the Big Guy still get 10%?  Will Fauci still get paid?
View Quote

Like sands through the hourglass.........
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The problem hasn't changed. You have to look at everything with some skepticism and apply your own ability to draw your conclusions from tools available to you.

A tweet says there are no planes flying over China. You have the capability to use resources on your own and determine if this is fact or lie. Then using what you learned independently you are able to draw some conclusions of your own on the veracity. Of course this means weighing some probabilities. Is it likely a coup was performed AND someone is spoofing typical air traffic over China using ADS-B? Doubt it. Is there weather in specific areas? Are there any videos of the fighting or coup like there have been during every other modern coup?
View Quote
agreed on that count
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The rumors were likely started by the Kissinger/Soros Worshipping State Dept/CIA.
View Quote

Arfcom's Razor in action.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Arfcom's Razor in action.
View Quote

Arfcom'e Razor: If Trump didn't do it, then it was obviously the Soros led WEF deep state.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#34]
lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Originated in India as it turns out.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soros Kapeet?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Just heard from sauces that Hunter Biden was sent on a secret mission to take out Xi.

Elite CIA trained sex workers were infected with monkeypox, and a deep penetration of the CCP headed by Hunter managed to infiltrate "just the tip" of the interior security services.

Infection and scabs are inbound.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
agreed on that count
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed on that count
Protips:

1. Sites make money off of selling you clicks to advertisers.  The advertising is targeted to consumers via the content that is provided and the spin they put on that content to make it entertaining and pleasurable for the targeted reader so they will come back. If the site you are looking at is selling shady dietary supplements, political gear for specific candidates, get rich quick schemes or any similar bunk, disregard the site as probably highly spun or even non-factual.

2.  If the news story is something that you think is good news and it was sent to you by a friend through social media (like ARFCOM) or popped into your feed, that article has been likely been specifically constructed to drive site traffic to one of the sites like what I listed in #1.

3.  If the news story is something that makes you angry and it was sent to you by a friend through social media (like ARFCOM) or popped into your feed, that article has been likely been specifically constructed to drive site traffic to one of the sites like what I listed in #1.

4.  If the article has no author listed or the author is a pseudonym hiding the identity of the person who wrote it, consider it to most likely be garbage.

5.  If you are directed to a website or post of someone you have never heard above before, research the website or poster.

6.  If the purveyor of news has zero actual infrastructure to run a news operation (actual reporters in the field, researchers verifying facts, etc.) then what you are reading may not be an actual news site.

7.  Verify stories OUTSIDE of the echo chamber.  Lots of these websites and Twitter accounts will "verify" or support narratives with mirrored websites or accounts that are simply shills that are copying and pasting the same garbage from each other.

8.  Check out something like GroundNews that aggregates stories from across several sources while telling you what the explicit and implicit biases are of the authors and sources.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Gordon is a great guy but as much as I value his insight, he’s overplayed the China gonna collapse any day card for years. I’m not saying he should be ignored or dismissed but he’s been off the mark on China political revolutions and total economy failure some time now. He’s still a guy to follow for China current events and trade issues he’s in the ball for that info.
View Quote

Please post up your evidence since you made the claim.
This way you can show all off arfcom how smart you are
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Protips:

1. Sites make money off of selling you clicks to advertisers.  The advertising is targeted to consumers via the content that is provided and the spin they put on that content to make it entertaining and pleasurable for the targeted reader so they will come back. If the site you are looking at is selling shady dietary supplements, political gear for specific candidates, get rich quick schemes or any similar bunk, disregard the site as probably highly spun or even non-factual.

2.  If the news story is something that you think is good news and it was sent to you by a friend through social media (like ARFCOM) or popped into your feed, that article has been likely been specifically constructed to drive site traffic to one of the sites like what I listed in #1.

3.  If the news story is something that makes you angry and it was sent to you by a friend through social media (like ARFCOM) or popped into your feed, that article has been likely been specifically constructed to drive site traffic to one of the sites like what I listed in #1.

4.  If the article has no author listed or the author is a pseudonym hiding the identity of the person who wrote it, consider it to most likely be garbage.

5.  If you are directed to a website or post of someone you have never heard above before, research the website or poster.

6.  If the purveyor of news has zero actual infrastructure to run a news operation (actual reporters in the field, researchers verifying facts, etc.) then what you are reading may not be an actual news site.

7.  Verify stories OUTSIDE of the echo chamber.  Lots of these websites and Twitter accounts will "verify" or support narratives with mirrored websites or accounts that are simply shills that are copying and pasting the same garbage from each other.

8.  Check out something like GroundNews that aggregates stories from across several sources while telling you what the explicit and implicit biases are of the authors and sources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed on that count
Protips:

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Has Biden taken credit for taking China down yet?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Communist China has never been run by moderates.  Their policies vis-a-vis the West have always been driven by a combination of perceived needs and relative power.  When China was poor, backwards, and weak, they played the moderate game.  As they have increased in power they have increased their aggressiveness, but they have always had imperial ambitions.  There were senior Chinese generals writing about the need to exterminate the American population with biological weapons so the Chinese could have living space 20 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been there several times before Xi and after.  Before, there were several places in cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, and others, where we could not tell that we were in China.  Shopping malls, cars and people on the streets looked wealthier than in many cities in the US and Europe.

There were uncountable private "international schools" where the kids were immersed in a 100% English-language and cultural behavior.

Citizens were encouraged to develop and own their own businesses.

Xi, put a stop on all that and banned such schools, the CCP took ownership of most private enterprises, entertainment censorship became similar to Hollywood's, and so on.

If we look at Xi, the folks before him were moderates.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've been there several times before Xi and after.  Before, there were several places in cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, and others, where we could not tell that we were in China.  Shopping malls, cars and people on the streets looked wealthier than in many cities in the US and Europe.

There were uncountable private "international schools" where the kids were immersed in a 100% English-language and cultural behavior.

Citizens were encouraged to develop and own their own businesses.

Xi, put a stop on all that and banned such schools, the CCP took ownership of most private enterprises, entertainment censorship became similar to Hollywood's, and so on.

If we look at Xi, the folks before him were moderates.

View Quote
Xi is the real deal communist. Old school like Mao.  He is not only just doing commie shitbag things he is trying to change chinese culture and economy.  They want a more service oriented economy like the west has, which is why the lockdowns and various trade issues aren't really making him sweat too much.

He's trying to move up the value chain, he doesn't want China to just be a rubber dog shit factory.

He's got to get past the party congress and deal with the real estate implosion.  After that who knows, the west is going to keep leaning on China with trade issues and companies have no interest in fighting the macro trend of business getting harder to do in china.  The wage increases also make is less attractive regardless of government actions. He is really stoking the nationalism and a counter the fact that the Chinese economy is going to tank regardless of what happens internationally.  

I don't really see him going after Taiwan but Putin invading Ukraine didn't appear to make any sense either so...
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#45]
So has there been any word or public appearances from Xi since this all started?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's sort of depressing.

View Quote

and I suppose you suggest we tune into CNN for the "truth"?

The name "fake media" stuck for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm not upset over the quality of the linked content (well...maybe I am a little), quite as much as I'm miffed over the fact that we've basically become the angry comment section for somebody else's content.

I don't know how to fix it (it's not an arfcom-specific thing - it's kind of a cultural bug), but it depresses me a little.

I just took a look at my Facebook feed. A good 75% of it, is people hitting the "share" button, or just copy/pasting a link to something they didn't create. Followed by angry comments, usually. This isn't unique to Arfcom. But I'm still bummed about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's sort of depressing.

Could not agree more.

The constant posting of inane, pop culture crappy sensationalist headlines, or completely unvetted "news" from sources known to be horrible , has degraded the forum.

Sorry  

I come here to bitch because I'm not signed up with discus or any of the other data collectors so I can't usually comment right on the news site.  
Page / 8
Top Top