Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2024 12:27:09 AM EDT
Do they plug into the TV and integrate into what you’re watching?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. At least the one I have is USB powered. It also has different modes where you can change the color manually, or it will adapt to what you are watching. Pretty neat
https://us.govee.com/products/govee-dreamview-t1-tv-backlight
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. At least the one I have is USB powered. It also has different modes where you can change the color manually, or it will adapt to what you are watching. Pretty neat
View Quote

I’ll check them out
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]

D65 white can help with poor contrast ratio tv's to achieve some inky blacks.  But, I have seen them not jive well with OLED and their already infinite contrast ratio.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

D65 white can help with poor contrast ratio tv's to achieve some inky blacks.  But, I have seen them not jive well with OLED and their already infinite contrast ratio.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting!  I would not have thought having extraneous light projected back toward the viewers eyes would help the picture.

The pictures showed all sorts of rainbow lights surrounding the screen, so I assumed this was like putting neon under a import to make it "go fast".
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that color changing nonsense. I just use one string of 6500K and put my screen in movie mode.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interesting!  I would not have thought having extraneous light projected back toward the viewers eyes would help the picture.

The pictures showed all sorts of rainbow lights surrounding the screen, so I assumed this was like putting neon under a import to make it "go fast".
View Quote

Yes the color changing shit just adds HP.  The real bias lighting that others have mentioned of a specific color temp can improve contrast and PQ on some TVs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Can I slightly derail the thread?

I want LED strip lights, motion activated, all over the interior of my gun safes. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#10]

I was thinking the same but I'm a no frills kind of guy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I want LED strip lights, motion activated, all over the interior of my gun safes. Any recommendations?
View Quote
Now THAT is useful.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#13]

For color-critical stuff, yes, absolutely.  But, for the average TV, I think most people would be happier with less expensive and more adaptable lighting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes!
I could use that too
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Painted the wall black, it's awesome.  The TV just pops off the wall.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For color-critical stuff, yes, absolutely.  But, for the average TV, I think most people would be happier with less expensive and more adaptable lighting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I see 4m is $80
What less expensive options are you referencing?
@L_je
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes!
I could use that too
View Quote

You can buy a kit at HD for about 10 bucks with 9ft of lighting and motion.  Ecosmart is the brand.
I put some in a utility trailer, they are rechargeable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have Philips Hue Sync

It's awesome
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why motion activated? I'd just use a simple door switch like a fridge.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have this. or a set damn near like it.. it has an app that you can use on your phone to turn them on.. You can adjust the lighting and the modes.. Pretty neat watching the whole wall turn to the color thats on the screen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't understand how anyone can watch a bright TV in an otherwise dark room.   It hurts my eyes.   TV bias lighting, for me, greatly reduces eye strain.  

Just installed this kit with new A75L at Christmas.

Amazon Product
  • \u3010REDUCE EYE STRAIN\u3011Increasing the ambient light in a room prevents our eyes from straining to adjust between a bright screen and dark room, preventing headaches and eye dryness.

Installed this kit in my safe about eight years ago.  Still works great. ETA - I have the motion sensor on the front center of the floor.  Open the door and reach in and the lights turn on.  

Amazon Product
  • NO.1 Best-Selling LED lighting kit on Amazon: 12\u2019\u2019 LED light bars + motion sensor + UL-Listed A/C Power adapter + extra 12\u2019\u2019 extension cables + (15) screws

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I've used some GE stuff in some installs that I've been happy with.  It's a little less expensive. Might not bend in the best manner for the back of a TV, though.  It has WiFi connectivity, yadda yadda.  Multi color, and a white point that seemed ok.  Seemed ok is the problem, though.  Under cabinet and frosted glass uplighting isn't all that critical for color temp on the white, though, and I think their 255^3 color claims aren't quite right, but it is good enough for where it is, and the people seem to really like it.  My own bias lighting for my desktop monitors seems to have drifted over time and is now overly blue, it was cheap stuff and now acting like it.

Right now, replacing my own stuff, I'm looking at the Medialight stuff linked earlier in the thread, and the Govee light bars.  The Govee stuff (I'm sure it's made in China) is less expensive than comparable Philips stuff, but it doesn't appear to be Chinesium.  Medialight, however, it might be the only monitor bias lighting that B&H Photo sells, and that speaks for itself.  But, it's just one color, albeit one very specific color.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

No
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:D65 white can help with poor contrast ratio tv's to achieve some inky blacks.  But, I have seen them not jive well with OLED and their already infinite contrast ratio.
View Quote
Any light while viewing a screen will ruin the contrast ratio. Even a night light, a glowing watch face, or smallest crack in the blackout curtains. Ratios have reached insane and ridiculous levels that don't translate into common use. I have windows in my house for Pete's sake!

The GoVee lights use a pair of cameras to peek over the top of the screen to view the lighting. IIRC it's Philipps that has a HDMI box that decodes and analyzes the video content directly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why motion sense?

I have LED clusters from SuperBrightLEDs.Com in my gun safe that run day and night. Each cluster has four white LEDs so I have two per small shelf and three across the top. They consume 20 watts of power an hour costing less than a couple cents a day to run. The heat they put out helps with the humidity.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I use some cheap ones I got at Ikea years ago... it's a bit sloppy with the wires all over the place. I'm going to toss that stuff and replace it with something nicer when I move later this year. It's a nice effect having some light behind the TV. It would be best to be able to control the brightness and color temperature.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Walmart has the usb one and its only like $7 bucks, comes with the remote. Been using it for over a year.

I use it for the litter box in the basement cause the SO says the kittahs cant see in the dark to pee.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why motion sense?

I have LED clusters from SuperBrightLEDs.Com in my gun safe that run day and night. Each cluster has four white LEDs so I have two per small shelf and three across the top. They consume 20 watts of power an hour costing less than a couple cents a day to run. The heat they put out helps with the humidity.
View Quote

Mainly so they turn on when I open the safe door.

I was thinking battery powered initially, but I see a member posted a version above that is AC powered... Hmm.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#30]
My safe came with an LED motion sensor set up... I had one on my last safe.. But I had to buy the kit... Just open the door... its like a fridge, Very handy
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Educate us? Or anyone selling a little kit?
@nickel_plated
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have https://us.govee.com/products/govee-tv-backlight-3-lite.   It's pretty awesome!
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I have the Medialight strip. I simply cannot stand to watch the tv in the dark without using bias lighting. The eye strain sucks. Not a fan of the color-changing gimmicky ones. Straight 6500K white is what you seek.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Spend big money for a tv with perfect blacks, and then wreck it with fucking disco karaoke lights.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Govee has some.

Phillips Hue if you hate money.

I'm happy with my Hue Gradient
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any light while viewing a screen will ruin the contrast ratio. Even a night light, a glowing watch face, or smallest crack in the blackout curtains. Ratios have reached insane and ridiculous levels that don't translate into common use. I have windows in my house for Pete's sake!

The GoVee lights use a pair of cameras to peek over the top of the screen to view the lighting. IIRC it's Philipps that has a HDMI box that decodes and analyzes the video content directly.
View Quote

Govee has single or dual cameras, depending on TV size.  They also have an HDMI box.   I purposefully went with the camera option because the HDMI box can have issues with DRM content
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Arfcom safe forum

Lots of options.  Scroll to my post if you are cheap and handy.
Top Top