Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 9/6/2023 6:44:11 AM EDT

They are getting destroyed on Twitter and are attempting to save face.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#1]
More like Bud light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#2]
People don’t think warrants be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the actual backstory? Does anybody have a news article about this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the market for a safe. These fucks just eliminated themselves from my consideration.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
What, exactly, were they supposed to do in that situation?

I could see an argument to just do away with having access codes at all for any of their products, but let’s be honest, it’s a fucking RSC, not some super duper encrypted electronic device.  If they don’t have an access code, the government is still getting in without much effort at all, likely within a few minutes.  

The only thing providing an access code pursuant to a warrant does is protect the safe owner from having his safe damaged through some form of destructive entry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Will they give an access code to a licensed professional locksmith?
If yes, these two things are reasonable.
If no, why bother allowing a back door into the product?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People don't think warrants be like it is, but it do.
View Quote
Why do they be like they do for Liberty and not be doing the same with Apple?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I reckon you’ve taken the last two-3 days off from being here?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Benchmade’s mistake wasn’t helping the police destroy guns that were going to get destroyed anyway. Their mistake was boasting about it on social media. I can’t for the life of me figure out why people feel the need to share everything with the world.
Liberty literally gave the feds a code to access private property. That’s a completely different level of messed up. If firearms weren’t used in a crime there was no reason to take them and absolutely no reason for liberty to do what they did  
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2023/09/06/liberty-safe-caved-gave-fbi-access-code-january-6-n2163468
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#11]
They should never have had the code to begin with, or the end user should be given clear instructions and recommendations to change it once installed.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an angle grinder won’t allow access into a cell phone. Not the type of access “they” want.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Search warrant in relation to all the J6 BS.

Warrant was provided to Liberty and they provided an access code to LE, which granted access to the contents of a gun safe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They should never have had the code to begin with, or the end user should be given clear instructions and recommendations to change it once installed.

View Quote

I believe this is a “backdoor” code that Liberty retains and is always in effect.  This isn’t the user access code you set/change after you buy the safe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe this is a “backdoor” code that Liberty retains and is always in effect.  This isn’t the user access code you set/change after you buy the safe.
View Quote

That’s even worse if true. Much worse.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Did they have an option?

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Lol.

I can only imagine the conversation at Liberty once they received the federal warrant…." Boss, we have warrant to release the combo of one of the J-6 defendants….I say fuck them!!  I spoke with our attorney and he said fuck them too!….this is the hill we die on!!…" or something like that.

You guys crack me up. GD is always good for a morning laugh!
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. I try my best to stay off GD rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did they have an option?

View Quote

I seriously doubt the warrant even mentioned Liberty at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From an ideals standpoint, I’d agree.

From a realistic standpoint, the government (or a determined person/entity) with a small amount of time and access, is in that safe with basically no effort, even absent the code.  So to me at least, it’s kinda meh.  Saves me from having to repair/replace the door if I forget the combo or the electronic lock zeroes out.

From what I’ve read, seems like most gun safe manufacturers utilize/possess “backdoor” codes for their products.  I’d venture a guess having them saves the company a lot more times than it hurts considering most “gun safes” provide basically no security from any adversary with time and access.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#25]
So there could be a market for 3rd party replacement locks...
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the government doesn't have the back door to your family...your wife and children?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#27]
First, there shouldn't be any kind of back door code to open the safe.  

Second, the feds would have zero issues with destroying the safe if that's what it takes to get in.  That's a given.  

Third, if the feds had a valid warrant, signed by a judge, in the proper format, then what's Liberty supposed to do?  If the feds know that such a code exists, and Liberty refuses to provide it, then the feds will simply open up a federal-level can of whoopass on Liberty with all the fury of a middle-school bully that was just called ugly to his face.

I can't fault Liberty for giving up the code.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Search warrant in relation to all the J6 BS.

Warrant was provided to Liberty and they provided an access code to LE, which granted access to the contents of a gun safe.
View Quote

Thanks. This is not going to go well for Liberty
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#29]
The major fuckup by Liberty is that they have always denied the existence of backdoor access codes to owners and lock/safesmiths. They straight up said they have no such backdoors, therefore they can't help you if you lost/forgot your code (AND CHANGED IT FROM FACTORY) so just call a locksmith and drill it.

Now it comes out that a backdoor exists and they hand it over, no questions asked to anyone with a rubber stamped warrant.

THAT is what should get Liberty Safe boycotted.

ETA: Liberty will provide the factory set code to consumers but if you changed it, like any sane person would, then the'd tell you you are SOL.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liberty, and probably others, have the feature built in to protect owners from locksmith damage. Apple doesn’t have a feature to bypass encryption.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The major fuckup by Liberty is that they have always denied the existence of backdoor access codes to owners and lock/safesmiths. They straight up said they have no such backdoors, therefore they can't help you if you lost/forgot your code so just call a locksmith and drill it.

Now it comes out that a backdoor exists and they hand it over, no questions asked to anyone with a rubber stamped warrant.

View Quote

If that’s the case, then we have a different story brewing here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The major fuckup by Liberty is that they have always denied the existence of backdoor access codes to owners and lock/safesmiths. They straight up said they have no such backdoors, therefore they can't help you if you lost/forgot your code so just call a locksmith and drill it.

View Quote

Thanks for the explaination.  I have a Liberty with electronic lock and I set my own code.  There is no way Liberty can know what my code is.

FBI tried that with Apple and was told to pound sand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First, there shouldn't be any kind of back door code to open the safe.  

Second, the feds would have zero issues with destroying the safe if that's what it takes to get in.  That's a given.  

Third, if the feds had a valid warrant, signed by a judge, in the proper format, then what's Liberty supposed to do?  If the feds know that such a code exists, and Liberty refuses to provide it, then the feds will simply open up a federal-level can of whoopass on Liberty with all the fury of a middle-school bully that was just called ugly to his face.

I can't fault Liberty for giving up the code.
View Quote

Unless the feds and said judge directed liberty to give up the code, I certainly fault liberty.

Just saying I got a warrant doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just one of several companies:  https://sargentandgreenleaf.com/sg-products/safe-locks/
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

My electronic lock came with instructions on who to call and what code to give them if I was locked out and had a locksmith. I assumed I lost that feature when I swapped to a manual lock.

It wasn’t a safe code I could change. It was something liberty had in their system. It came with a sticker that had instructions to hide it somewhere in case I was locked out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#36]
So do all of these safe companies have a master code????
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be the classic S&G group 2 lock. Dial type. All that I use.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#38]
that's a good object lesson in power though
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I need another safe…I refuse to get an electronic keypad
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Liberty, and probably others, have the feature built in to protect owners from locksmith damage. Apple doesn’t have a feature to bypass encryption.

View Quote

Except if you called Liberty with a lost code, they will tell you to call a locksmith and drill it as they had no backdoor code. So the future clearly can't exist to prevent locksmith damage if they claim it doesn't exist and don't provide it to locksmiths/customers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for the explaination.  I have a Liberty with electronic lock and I set my own code.  There is no way Liberty can know what my code is.

FBI tried that with Apple and was told to pound sand.
View Quote

He is saying that even though you changed the code, Liberty has a backdoor/master code.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll bet a cookie that warrant had no authority to require liberty to hand over a safe combination. I'll bet a second cookie Liberty didn't even see the warrant and has given out combinations to police just for them calling.
View Quote

I'm not arguing.

These things are often done on a phone call….with the implied caveat that if a warrant needed we'll get one.  It's also implied that the cops will be pissed off if they have to go through those motions and in today's world no one wants the premier federal LE agency, that to some degree, has been weaponized against political opponents pissed at you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#43]
n/m

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll bet a cookie that warrant had no authority to require liberty to hand over a safe combination. I'll bet a second cookie Liberty didn't even see the warrant and has given out combinations to police just for them calling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol.

I can only imagine the conversation at Liberty once they received the federal warrant ." Boss, we have warrant to release the combo of one of the J-6 defendants .I say fuck them!!  I spoke with our attorney and he said fuck them too! .this is the hill we die on!! " or something like that.

You guys crack me up. GD is always good for a morning laugh!

The instructions that came with my safe made it pretty clear that if a locksmith had the sticker they would be able to get in my safe. I wouldn’t be surprised if a handful of people stuck that sticker on the back of their safe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What, exactly, were they supposed to do in that situation?

I could see an argument to just do away with having access codes at all for any of their products, but let’s be honest, it’s a fucking RSC, not some super duper encrypted electronic device.  If they don’t have an access code, the government is still getting in without much effort at all, likely within a few minutes.  

The only thing providing an access code pursuant to a warrant does is protect the safe owner from having his safe damaged through some form of destructive entry.
View Quote

True

If they have a warrant they are getting in the safe, and most likely destroying it in the process.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Unclench your panties. This should surprise no one. Companies typically comply with the feds. And they would have gotten into that safe anyway had Liberty not been able to help.

The horseshoe theory on the left and right is accurate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  Apple told the Fed to pound sand, even when the crime was a REAL terrorist attack.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm embarrassed to own a Liberty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Oh good. Something else we can argue with each other about.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Situation isn’t even remotely close to what happened with benchmade (fuck be upon them)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Top Top