Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2022 10:50:24 AM EDT
According to experts, it takes 200,000 years for the radioactivity in the most toxic waste to return to natural levels.

Geologist Christophe Nussbaum, who heads the laboratory, said researchers wanted to determine what the possible effects could be "on storage that needs to last for nearly one million years."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220409-in-project-of-the-century-swiss-seek-to-bury-radioactive-waste

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
According to experts, it takes 200,000 years for the radioactivity in the most toxic waste to return to natural levels.

Geologist Christophe Nussbaum, who heads the laboratory, said researchers wanted to determine what the possible effects could be "on storage that needs to last for nearly one million years."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220409-in-project-of-the-century-swiss-seek-to-bury-radioactive-waste

https://2img.net/h/i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/T_Man_2006/Godzilla%20vs%20Biollante/1989-GodzillavsBiollante7.gif
View Quote
The Finn's are almost complete on theirs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Drop it into a subduction zone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Launch it into the sun
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Put into a Hillary Clinton file cabinet.  It'll never see the light of day ever again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put into a Hillary Clinton file cabinet.  It'll never see the light of day ever again.
View Quote

Put Hillary Clinton in there with the radioactive waste too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need someone to wipe the top of the cabinet with, like, a cloth.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I've actually done some research on this.  The geology is really important, obviously.  One of the main concerns is leakage through the containment vessels, then into fractures and faults in the earth, and migration to groundwater.  The risk of explosion is virtually nil.

Building a vessel for a million years has neva been done befo, we don't know what that looks like.  Finding the perfect geology is impossible, but finding good-enough geology is possible.  A million years ain't pfffft in geologic time.  One of the target geo types is salt domes (diapirs).  They have the ability to self-heal, so fractures don't last long.  They also move slowly over time, so long-term monitoring is a must.  But monitoring for a million years?  Aye, there's the rub.

Nevada got a good start with a storage site.  There is some relatively stable geology there in the ancient seds and basalt, it is also in an area with very low population which is a must, obviously.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a site out in the desert southwest of the US that will be used to house radioactive and toxic waste for many thousands of years.  As far as I know, they are still working on how to mark the site to help ensure it remains undisturbed for thousands of years.  I believe they are planning to place several huge monolithic granite blocks with warnings carved into them in multiple languages, along with pictograms.

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you could figure this one out, it's seems like a good solution. But what happens as it gets all smashed up on the way down?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Launch it into the sun
View Quote

That could ummm...make life interesting

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you could figure this one out, it's seems like a good solution. But what happens as it gets all smashed up on the way down?
View Quote

Bad idea.  Subduction occurs at an extremely slow rate.  The containment vessels would be subject to crushing forces and salt water corrosion for thousands of years, and it would not end well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought this was going to be a story about their 1940s banking records.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Listened to the Omega Tau Podcast episode about nuclear waste recently, they went into great detail about Finland's storage protocols.

I'm really looking forward to someone, somewhere cobbling together a working waste burner reactor. High level nuclear waste packs a bit of a punch.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, but it'll be a SWISS Godzilla, so it'll sit there watching while Gamera and Mothra destroy Tokyo, saying "you know, both sides have a point"
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, but it'll be a SWISS Godzilla, so it'll sit there watching while Gamera and Mothra destroy Tokyo, saying "you know, both sides have a point"
View Quote

At this point I say go ahead and unleash the invincible/impossible nuclear waste powered monsters.

It will be amusing to see the worlds militaries immediately lose any semblance of competence and try to defeat them by running headlong at them, screaming at the top of their lungs and firing their weapons wildly in all directions except the monster.

A Swiss Godzilla sounds more like it should be some kind of a yeti.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is a site out in the desert southwest of the US that will be used to house radioactive and toxic waste for many thousands of years.  As far as I know, they are still working on how to mark the site to help ensure it remains undisturbed for thousands of years.  I believe they are planning to place several huge monolithic granite blocks with warnings carved into them in multiple languages, along with pictograms.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/WIPP_Large_Surface_Marker_-_Repository_Footprint.svg/800px-WIPP_Large_Surface_Marker_-_Repository_Footprint.svg.png
View Quote

I had to review the Environmental Impact Statement for WIPP.

One day a gaggle of guys from the loading dock brought me 32 (IIRC) boxes.  

Those 32 boxes held the appendices (and only the appendices) to the EIS.

The loading dock guys returned with another 25 or boxes that was the main body of the EIS.

The hilarity was compounded by my call to our Office of Legislative Affairs to ask how long we had to do the review.

They informed me that I had three days to complete and coordinate my review.  They didn't understand why this was an issue, until I explained the plethora of paper the putz's wanted reviewed.  OLA refused to change the suspense date, so the boss of my team, a GS-15, sent in as our official comment this message:

OLA never said a word.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
The problem with all the hand wringing over this is that letting is sit where it is currently sitting doesn't appears to be a worse solution, no?

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Give it to the FBI. It will magically disappear, or be declared not radioactive.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Spent nuclear fuel arrives as a ceramic that is easily contained. Other common industrial-scale chemical processes create far more toxic waste at far higher quantities in forms that include liquid, vapor, gas, combustibles, etc. Heck, pollution from coal and gas combustion kills a million people a year.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, but it'll be a SWISS Godzilla, so it'll sit there watching while Gamera and Mothra destroy Tokyo, saying "you know, both sides [s]have a point[/s are banking clients of ours"
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The problem with all the hand wringing over this is that letting is sit where it is currently sitting doesn't appears to be a worse solution, no?

View Quote

Sometimes doing nothing is better, sometimes it is worse.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've actually done some research on this.  The geology is really important, obviously.  One of the main concerns is leakage through the containment vessels, then into fractures and faults in the earth, and migration to groundwater.  The risk of explosion is virtually nil.

Building a vessel for a million years has neva been done befo, we don't know what that looks like.  Finding the perfect geology is impossible, but finding good-enough geology is possible.  A million years ain't pfffft in geologic time.  One of the target geo types is salt domes (diapirs).  They have the ability to self-heal, so fractures don't last long.  They also move slowly over time, so long-term monitoring is a must.  But monitoring for a million years?  Aye, there's the rub.

Nevada got a good start with a storage site.  There is some relatively stable geology there in the ancient seds and basalt, it is also in an area with very low population which is a must, obviously.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Cubic zirconia?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Air drop it over Moscow.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/WIPP_Large_Surface_Marker_-_Repository_Footprint.svg/800px-WIPP_Large_Surface_Marker_-_Repository_Footprint.svg.png
View Quote

Yucca mountain will probably never be used. Harry reid fought it.

In the future people won't read. Reading is racist.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Just drop it into the the lava pool of an active volcano.

Maybe we’d get lucky and create a lava super creature.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really does make sense to destroy it and let the earth melt it and put it where it will in a bunch of centuries when it resurfaces.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Really does make sense to destroy it and let the earth melt it and put it where it will in a bunch of centuries when it resurfaces.
View Quote

It can't be destroyed, except by natural decay.  That's what's unique about rad waste, it can't be de-natured unlike nearly all other toxic substances.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had to review the Environmental Impact Statement for WIPP.

One day a gaggle of guys from the loading dock brought me 32 (IIRC) boxes.  

Those 32 boxes held the appendices (and only the appendices) to the EIS.

The loading dock guys returned with another 25 or boxes that was the main body of the EIS.

The hilarity was compounded by my call to our Office of Legislative Affairs to ask how long we had to do the review.

They informed me that I had three days to complete and coordinate my review.  They didn't understand why this was an issue, until I explained the plethora of paper the putz's wanted reviewed.  OLA refused to change the suspense date, so the boss of my team, a GS-15, sent in as our official comment this message:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5b/e7/1e/5be71ef086cfd7e5e6b6a4558815860f.jpg

OLA never said a word.
View Quote

Bureaucracy for the win!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eh, dump it in the Marianas Trench. You know the pools where they store spent fuel rods on site @ power plants? You can safely swim in them. Water is hella good at absorbing energetic particles. Yeah, salt water and all that, but the Challenger Deep is way, way down there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Listened to the Omega Tau Podcast episode about nuclear waste recently, they went into great detail about Finland's storage protocols.

I'm really looking forward to someone, somewhere cobbling together a working waste burner reactor. High level nuclear waste packs a bit of a punch.
View Quote
That's called a Molten Salt Reactor.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yucca mountain will probably never be used. Harry reid fought it.

In the future people won't read. Reading is racist.
View Quote

Correct. He sure loved having the fed money coming into NV at first.... I worked on retrieval/treatment/disposal of the waste (Not WIPP. That's different waste) for ~20 years. I'm convinced that DOE/commercial HLW will end up in monitored retrievable storage. Could be 30' under ground or on the surface.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Correct. He sure loved having the fed money coming into NV at first.... I worked on retrieval/treatment/disposal of the waste (Not WIPP. That's different waste) for ~20 years. I'm convinced that Yucca HLW will end up in monitored retrievable storage. Could be 30' under graound or on the surface.
View Quote

I came to the conclusion that underground, monitored, retrievable is probably the best solution.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, please.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, please.
View Quote

Best not.  Rad waste trembles at the thought of being confined with Hillary for a million years.  Trembling rad waste is not what we need.  We need calm rad waste.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#38]

That was a really shitty movie. Real life is very different. In real life our leaders know better and just enrich themselves off everyone's ignorance. In real life Camacho would have owned stock in Brawndo and traded wheat futures knowing that putting Brawndo on the crops would kill them while telling everyone he just doesn't understand why the crops won't grow. They'd have Jucker Rawlson telling the idiots that Camacho is a moron who doesn't know what he's doing while knowing because he's a close family friend just how much money Camacho is making fucking over the average American while they stupidly laugh.

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That was a really shitty movie. Real life is very different. In real life our leaders know better and just enrich themselves off everyone's ignorance. In real life Camacho would have owned stock in Brawndo and traded wheat futures knowing that putting Brawndo on the crops would kill them while telling everyone he just doesn't understand why the crops won't grow. They'd have Jucker Rawlson telling the idiots that Camacho is a moron who doesn't know what he's doing while knowing because he's a close family friend just how much money Camacho is making fucking over the average American while they stupidly laugh.

View Quote
Brought to you, by Carl's Jr.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Vitrification will work.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#41]
The need to label the waste site for 87 thousand years is stupid. Label it well enough for 200 and redo it in 150. If there's some event so bad we lose all language and every person with the knowledge of the glowy bad bad things are so screwed that someone digging up and liking a spent fuel rod is a low level worry at best
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The need to label the waste site for 87 thousand years is stupid. Label it well enough for 200 and redo it in 150. If there's some event so bad we lose all language and every person with the knowledge of the glowy bad bad things are so screwed that someone digging up and liking a spent fuel rod is a low level worry at best
View Quote

In the aforementioned Omega Tau episode they mention that steel is the most common dry cask material, but copper is the most effective.

When they said that I immediately had this image in my minds eye of some meth heads of the far distant future stumbling upon this cave that is filled with these very well made copper containers.

"O'gzorgiznack, Weimmes, we have hit the fucking jackpot!"

"Why did the aincent ones bury all these copper tubes?"

"Who cares! Just get as many into your El Camino Mark 47 as you can."
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#43]
What idiots. There is no such thing as nuclear waste, it's just un-used fuel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I came to the conclusion that underground, monitored, retrievable is probably the best solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. He sure loved having the fed money coming into NV at first.... I worked on retrieval/treatment/disposal of the waste (Not WIPP. That's different waste) for ~20 years. I'm convinced that Yucca HLW will end up in monitored retrievable storage. Could be 30' under graound or on the surface.

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Vitrification will work.
View Quote

Yep. Good idea, but where does it go after that?

ETA: Been deep into waste pretreatment and vitrification. The waste cans need to go somewhere. That somewhere is nowhere if Yucca Mountain is off the table.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#46]
How hard would it be to get it into space? Rockets are a no go, we all know how bad that could end up if one exploded, so lets have a conversation... There must be a way to "sling" into space... OR... could you in theory, with a long enough cable attached to something already in orbit drag it into space? Im just a drunk redneck, but I made a few potato guns as a kid, so I can keep up...
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In the aforementioned Omega Tau episode they mention that steel is the most common dry cask material, but copper is the most effective.

When they said that I immediately had this image in my minds eye of some meth heads of the far distant future stumbling upon this cave that is filled with these very well made copper containers.

"O'gzorgiznack, Weimmes, we have hit the fucking jackpot!"

"Why did the aincent ones bury all these copper tubes?"

"Who cares! Just get as many into your El Camino Mark 47 as you can."
View Quote

Stainless is more corrosion and abrasion resistant than copper, but copper can handle some very high temps.  How about a copper-lined stainless casket?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ETA: Been deep into waste pretreatment and vitrification. The waste cans need to go somewhere. That somewhere is nowhere if Yucca Mountain is off the table.  

View Quote

The status quo is just every waste generator continue do their own thing, which isn't the best long-term planning.  Yucca Mtn. shows lots of promise, but there are political hurdles that will be difficult to overcome until there is a serious accident or sabotage.  That will press the issue and the feds will just overrule the state.  That's the downside to having lots of federal land (NFS, BLM) in your state - it tends to do what the feds say to do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Above ground retrievable storage is the answer in the US for HLW.  WIPP is OK for incitidental TRU stuff. As usual, it's all politics... Led by the leftists.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The status quo is just every waste generator continue do their own thing, which isn't the best long-term planning.  Yucca Mtn. shows lots of promise, but there are political hurdles that will be difficult to overcome until there is a serious accident or sabotage.  That will press the issue and the feds will just overrule the state.  That's the downside to having lots of federal land (NFS, BLM) in your state - it tends to do what the feds say to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yucca will most likely not happen. They loved the fed money during the studies, then are trying to back out. I'm OK with above ground storage. The whole thing just pisses me off. 20 years of work on this issue....  Fucking done, and don't want to arock myself...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top