Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2023 5:36:44 PM EDT
Got tired of shitty weather back home so looked at the 14 day forecast for Greece and decided the timing was perfect.  
Great lunch in a little taverna of grilled pork washed down with some ice cold Alfa and raki.
Attachment Attached File

Then I enjoyed the sunset at a rooftop bar while having a cool refreshment.
Attachment Attached File

They celebrated Greek Independence today with a massive military parade, tanks in the street, jets and helicopters flying low over the acropolis.  Here are some clips I found cause my potato pics sucked.

?St?at??t??? ?a???as? ?25? ?a?t??? 2023 ???t?? ????a?

? µe???? st?at??t??? pa???as? ??a t?? 25? ?a?t??? | 25/3/23| ???

Oh what a day it has been.  Nothing but sunshine and warm weather, close to 80.  The scenery was unreal

Update March 26:
Spent the day in Plaka plus climbed up close to the Acropolis, I am saving the actual tour until my wife decides to come with me.
Took a break for some refreshing Grace Gin, made in Corfu with a local Aegean tonic. If there is any interest I will keep adding pics of food and places.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you see the guys with the pom-poms on their shoes yet?  I mean that outfit looks outlandish, but they seem proud of their history!
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a good time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked the islands better than Athens. What's good besides the acropolis there?
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice. Wish I was there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Santorini is my favorite Greek Isle, but don't drink the ouzo. That shit is nasty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked the islands better than Athens. What's good besides the acropolis there?
View Quote
Santorini. Forget Athens.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds fantastic….
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't drop the soap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I spent 6 weeks in Greece in the Spring of 1994 when I was a young lad of 22. Loved my time there. Athens was neat to see but very dirty. The islands were magical. Spend too much time on the island of Ios. I think I am still hungover. To much Retsina
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
"Did you see the guys with the pom-poms on their shoes yet?  I mean that outfit looks outlandish, but they seem proud of their history!"

I have seen them many times over the years, have watched their changing of the guard routine in front of the presidential palace a few times as well.
They sure have a nice supply of Garands
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a million things in and around Athens besides the acropolis, you're only limited by your imagination.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Thessaloniki is great too. As is Meteora.  Ive also done Santorini.  Crete and Corfu are on my list for my next visit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Wife, kids and I are on our way there now. Four nights on Santorini and three in Athens.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Santorini is my favorite Greek Isle, but don't drink the ouzo. That shit is nasty.
View Quote

Damn OP, that hits me right in the feels. Seriously jealous...

Santorini is amazingly beautiful, but the waves of tourists washing back and forth through town off the cruise boats are annoying as hell. I have a soft spot for Rhodes because of the culture and history, and Crete for the party memories, but all of them are great.

Keep telling the young bucks on GD bitching about American women to get their asses on an airplane to the Med in late spring. No other experience like it on earth for a young guy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish they'd liberate Constantinople.

Looks great there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Greece is ok.

Crete was fun for a year while I was there good times.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There's a million things in and around Athens besides the acropolis, you're only limited by your imagination.
View Quote

Any recommendations??
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#19]
My old dad,WW2 vet,said the Greek Nat'l Anthem is: I'm walking behind you,don't stoop.
Dat true?
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wish they'd liberate Constantinople.

Looks great there.
View Quote
Why? The Ottomans conquered it from the Byzantines almost 600 years ago.

Do you also secretly wish Mexicans would  "liberate" South and South West US and Native Americans "liberating" the rest of North America?
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"Did you see the guys with the pom-poms on their shoes yet?  I mean that outfit looks outlandish, but they seem proud of their history!"

I have seen them many times over the years, have watched their changing of the guard routine in front of the presidential palace a few times as well.
They sure have a nice supply of Garands
View Quote

Those belong in Alabama! I got some nice Greek Air Force Garands from the CMP around 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#22]
The mate and I spent a week in Thessaloniki a few years ago and we just loved it. As I told my friends the food is fabulous, they like Americans, and everyone is on the fiddle. Is the official airport bus $40? The guy at the front desk has a friend who will do it for $20. Did you want to skip the tourist spots down by the water and sample something a little more inexpensive? One of the workers at the hotel told us about a couple who cook in their home kitchen and serve about 10 tables a night in their front room and expanded covered porch without the benefit of license or permit. I had sauteed mushrooms and the mate had thinly sliced liver cooked in sesame oil. One of the best meals we've ever had and it was inexpensive, about $20 each with wine. Walked around Roman ruins, toured various forts and towers, and generally enjoyed ourselves greatly. We stayed in a hostel called "The Crossroads" and were treated like royalty. We plan to go back some day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Any recommendations??
View Quote

Lots of museums, Acropolis Museum, National Archaeological Museum, war museum, Temple of Hephaestus, Temple of Athena Nike, the Plaka district, Ancient Agora of Athens, etc.

You can go walk around The Hotel Grande Bretagne in the city center, it was the Third Reich's HQ's during WWII, Hitler and Rommel stayed there.  Go to the port and grab a short ferry ride for a day trip to one of the islands, go check out the old spice market.  

Grab the tram for $1.50 and ride it to South to the Edem stop, get off and go sit on the beach at Edem Fish house and have a great meal while sitting outside at one of the many tables they have on the beach, just feet from the water.  Before the Edem stop you can get off at Flisvos Marina and tour the battleship Averof, built in 1910 and saw lots of action.

Like I said, lots and lots to do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Rich people  

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Be sure to see Fo Dogs grave
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Santorini. Forget Athens.
https://a.cdn-hotels.com/gdcs/production18/d1838/041ae6b1-0a88-4c22-a648-53a22dd4a006.jpg

Yep. I just wish Id gone to the Phoenician ruins on Santorini when I was there. Absolutely gorgeous island.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Enjoy OP
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:49:25 AM EDT
[#28]
enjoy OP. had an amazing trip there last year. loved Naxos.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#29]
OP updated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rich people  

View Quote

You can do it, just pick the right time, don't try to come in June, July or August as those are peak holiday months.  
As far as flights, pick your favorite airline and be sure to check the "flexible dates" box.   Also, don't stay in the city, stay a few km's outside, you will find decent price differences.
My hotel has an amazing Mediterranean breakfast included so I typically only buy one meal a day.  Drinks are a different story though
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Well shit, I landed in Atlanta last night and what a damn culture shock to be back in the US.  Land whales everywhere
Rude, loud and obnoxious people trying to make a scene.

At least I had some more good meals before coming back to this place.  

If you have never had this little fish, you are missing out.  You just pop the whole thing in your mouth and enjoy the goodness.  The other plates are fresh fried crawfish and tzatziki .

Attachment Attached File

And there is nothing better than going to a kebab shop after a late night of drinking with some friends.  Alcohol might have influenced how much food we ordered

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool thread OP. The pictures are great. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I've spent some time on the island of Kea. The food is absolutely spectacular, people are super friendly. I love that place and felt like I belonged there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Spent a week in Crete March of last year. Incredible place, great food, very welcoming people. Lots of goats and olive trees.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meteora is spectacular
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Great post OP. We go every couple years to see relatives. We usually stay in Athens a couple days and most of the time we spend on the islands.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Meteora is spectacular
View Quote

One of my favorite places in Greece. Very cool place.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Please keep us updated on your food.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meteora is spectacular

Ikaria is an amazing slow going island with barely any tourists. Was there for 9 days last year.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Some of us on here enjoy trying different food from different places.
Dont worry, you can find KFC and McDonalds over there if that is more your style.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#42]
The Chinese have taken over Santorini, avoid it all costs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]

I hope you're having a great time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top