Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I would without hesitation unless there was mitigating factors such as he killed a child molester who touched his kids or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In this thread we get to see who has a moral compass and who doesn't.
View Quote
 Correct...
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Public executions weren't really a deterrent, even when they had them with regularity.  Plenty of raping and murdering and shit like that went on all the time.  No one expects to get caught, or, failing that, they calculate that the risk is worth it.

Public executions are catharsis for the community.  It's visual confirmation of justice served.  It's setting things right.

Dan Carlin does a pretty good job explaining this in one of his Hardcore History Blitz episodes, #61 Painfotainment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe we should do public EXECUTIONS again. People seeing someone kicking at the end of a rope or jerking in an electric chair would be a hugh deterrent.
Public executions weren't really a deterrent, even when they had them with regularity.  Plenty of raping and murdering and shit like that went on all the time.  No one expects to get caught, or, failing that, they calculate that the risk is worth it.

Public executions are catharsis for the community.  It's visual confirmation of justice served.  It's setting things right.

Dan Carlin does a pretty good job explaining this in one of his Hardcore History Blitz episodes, #61 Painfotainment.
Sorry but I disagree. To say if people today, saw people being executed publicly. Saw them die. I believe it would have a profound effect on crime.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry but I disagree. To say if people today, saw people being executed publicly. Saw them die. I believe it would have a profound effect on crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe we should do public EXECUTIONS again. People seeing someone kicking at the end of a rope or jerking in an electric chair would be a hugh deterrent.

They were absolutely a deterrent, as was individual autonomy, morality and family.

Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
We live in the safest, most violent crime free era in human history.   Murders and rapes and assaults are nearly nonexistent compared to all of human history.  When public executions were common there was significantly more violent, interpersonal crime.

Why?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They were absolutely a deterrent, as was morality and family.

https://i.redd.it/pwookyze8nj31.jpg
View Quote
What you are seeing there is better policing, record keeping and the modernization of investigation, not the actual rate of crime.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We live in the safest, most violent crime free era in human history.   Murders and rapes and assaults are nearly nonexistent compared to all of human history.  When public executions were common there was significantly more violent, interpersonal crime.

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?
Because you made it up?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What you are seeing there is better policing, record keeping and the modernization of investigation, not the actual rate of crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were absolutely a deterrent, as was morality and family.

https://i.redd.it/pwookyze8nj31.jpg
I doubt it. What you see there is the progressive Era of big government creating violence by creating black markets and undermining Rural living by centralizing populations with taxes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did not cap lock in outrage. So what if I left the i out who fucking cares. I hate the damn spelling NAZIS.

Read the damn post next time. It said INNOCIENT PEOPLE

Again not mad. Did not know cap lock meant outrage
View Quote
No you added the second i and now you’ve done it again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because you made it up?
View Quote
The village I live near was incorporated in 1832.  The first records we have of crime in the village is from the newly appointed constable in 1916.  Am I to assume that there were no crimes committed from 1832 - 1916?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If they didn't turn themselves in, yes. One thing I taught my sons was when you screw up, man up. Don't be a sorry ass weasel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In this thread we get to see who has a moral compass and who doesn't.
View Quote
Yep.

A few blameless enablers have already revealed themselves.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The village I live near was incorporated in 1832.  The first records we have of crime in the village is from the newly appointed constable in 1916.  Am I to assume that there were no crimes committed from 1832 - 1916?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you made it up?
A better assumption would be the records were lost.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I doubt it. What you see there is the progressive Era of big government creating violence by making creating black markets and undermining Rural living by centralizing populations with taxes.
View Quote
Ok.  Whatever makes you feel better.  Most rural areas prior to the early 20th century had no police force at all outside of a single sheriff.  Most things were handled "in house", so to say, by the citizens.  Very little crime was reported, because there was no one to report it to, or no one bothered, or the sheriff knew better.

Additionally, things like fistfights, brawls, etc were not considered crimes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, with no record, those crimes never made it to your chart.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Depends on the circumstances but 99% of the time yes, absolutely.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok.  Whatever makes you feel better.  Most rural areas prior to the early 20th century had no police force at all outside of a single sheriff.  Most things were handled "in house", so to say, by the citizens.  Very little crime was reported, because there was no one to report it to, or no one bothered, or the sheriff knew better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it. What you see there is the progressive Era of big government creating violence by making creating black markets and undermining Rural living by centralizing populations with taxes.

You watch to many westerns. I live in a rural area. There has been 6 deaths in my area in 10 years due to violence, and three were suicides.

economics fuel violence. The shit people kill each other today for was available at any dry goods store until around 1916.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]
As a pragmatist, I would want to know my liability since I probably purchased the knives.

FWIW in the past stuff like this may have been handled discreetly. Not so much now. Take my wife’s first husband’s father. He was invited to disappear or be prosecuted. He molested is daughter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on why he did it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If my court house burned tomorrow, the crime stats and what not would still be recorded in other places going back prior to 1860s. Even tho the physical records were lost.

Shit gets lost, eaten by mice and bugs, rots due to a leaky roof or basement...

I will grant you that if someone anywhere at any time, even today put a days thought and a weeks prep into never getting caught for murdering a normal person, it would probably just end up a missing persons case if they acted.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Bunch of snitches in here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You watch to many westerns. I live in a rural area. There has been 6 deaths in my area in 10 years due to violence, and three were suicides.

economics fuel violence. The shit people kill each other today for was available at any dry goods store until around 1916.
View Quote
If you were killed 120 years ago in a sparsely inhabited rural area and never showed up to your destination, were you A) listed as murdered or B) listed as a lost or missing person?  Was your absence even noted officially at all?

People have been killing each other at a pretty steady rate for millenia.  It's just got a hell of a lot easier to find evidence and build a prosecution in the last 100 years due to technology and modern policing.

Violence, it's what humans do.  You're trying to build a bogeyman where none exists.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If my court house burned tomorrow, the crime stats and what not would still be recorded in other places going back prior to 1860s. Even tho the physical records were lost.

I will grant you that if someone anywhere at any time, even today put a days thought and a weeks prep into never getting caught for murdering a normal person, it would probably just end up a missing persons case if they acted.
View Quote
Sure, if the records were lost today.

What happened if your courthouse burned down in 1950?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As a pragmatist, I would want to know my liability since I probably purchased the knives.

FWIW in the past stuff like this may have been handled discreetly. Not so much now. Take my wife’s first husband’s father. He was invited to disappear or be prosecuted. He molested is daughter.
View Quote
They should have turned his ass in IMO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Depends on who got clipped and why.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#27]
That depends.

Did he leave any witnesses?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Guess it would depend on which three people.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes....
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Not if he had a good reason, like if they were cheating at cards, or called his dad fat.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine got in a shootout with two guys trying to steal his suburban.  He was awakened by his dog barking in the early morning he went to see what was going on and the thieves called out to kill my son.

Mind you my son called the law. Had he not, I certainly wouldn’t have turned him in.  There was blood on the ground but the guys never sought medical attention. The case remains unsolved.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Solid maybe.

I'd either turn him in or help bury the body.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well Statistics and whatnot would have been collected by the state and collated at the time. State and county governments would have the town and county figures, if not the records in their complete form. If you want to find out more about crime in your town prior to 2016, I'd call the county, or the state.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I would turn him in for sure.   Which I wouldn't think twice about because I would know it was a dream.... since I don't have a son.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well Statistics and whatnot would have been collected by the state and collated at the time. State and county governments would have the town and county figures, if not the records in their complete form. If you want to find out more about crime in your town prior to 2016, I'd call the county, or the state.
View Quote
UCR program didn't start till 1930.  Prior to that, no one collected stats or sent them to higher levels of government.

So, I'll give you that 1950 was a bad choice.

There is no one I can call or contact about the crime stats in my village prior to 1916, because they effectively do not exist.  Poof.  Gone.  I know this because I am a councilmember and have extensively searched for records.  None at the county, state or national level exist.

ETA:  We don't have any ordinances from prior to the mid 1950's either.  Someone tossed them years ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Definitely maybe.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I would be afraid that he would kill me and he is going to be caught by the cops anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]
If he did wrong, then the police would be the safer option for him instead of me, so yes.

if self defense or he was in the right, then no.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Is my son Dexter or Jeffery Dahmer?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Depends...

Turned into a dexter type or iced some scumbags. Not happening.

Now if he harmed an innocent,  yes
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
UCR program didn't start till 1930.  Prior to that, no one collected stats or sent them to higher levels of government.

There is no one I can call or contact about the crime stats in my village prior to 1916, because they effectively do not exist.  Poof.  Gone.  I know this because I am a councilmember and have extensively searched for records.  None at the county, state or national level exist.

ETA:  We don't have any ordinances from prior to the mid 1950's either.  Someone tossed them years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell there is land deeds and court records for my county going back to before Dan'l Boone was a squirt.

About the only type of murders no one cared about around here was blacks, Germans and Irish. And again that all started around the time of Woodrow Wilson.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck no
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hell there is land deeds and court records for my county going back to before Dan'l Boone was a squirt.

About the only type of murders no one cared about around here was blacks, Germans and Irish. And again that all started around the time of Woodrow Wilson.
View Quote
That's great.  If you would actually look, you'll find those records in your county are very incomplete and are often missing years worth of data.

Right this very second - the only copy of ordinances for our village is in a binder stored at the mayors house.  We don't have them digitized stored through the state or county.  It's not required, and costs money we don't have.   The state auditor comes out every two years and audits us, but doesn't make or retain any copies of what we have.

The last 30 years of zoning permits is in a cardboard box under the desk I'm typing at.

You have a lot of faith that the government keeps accurate records and has done for a very long time.  They haven't.  It's only been in the last 100 years or so, and even that is shaky for many small, rural places up until the 1970's.  God knows I would know, having been in government as an elected official for the better part of two decades. It's a constant headache and source of problems for me and constituents.

ETA: I've been (the whole council was) subpoenaed in a federal lawsuit regarding eminent domain takings, that was a pain in the ass due to shitty record keeping from someone in the 1870's.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sitting here watching a show about Alec Kreider, who killed his friend and his friend's parents.  This was local to me and a VERY big deal around here.

He confessed to his dad and his dad debated turning him in or not.  This is mind-blowing to me but I don't have kids so I don't have any real comparison.  How in the hell can your son tell you he stabbed 3 people to death and your reply is along the lines of "well telling the police won't help you or bring them back"???

The whole first part of the show was him saying they (Alec's parents) never really disciplined him when he was young, they'd just talk about feelings or threaten time-outs or take his toys (but then give them back anyway).  Good job you piece of shit.  A+ job.

Now he just said he "failed" his son by not throwing the murder weapon in the river.  Now talking to his pastor about what to do.  Fuck this guy.
View Quote
Seems the GD answer would be...

1) is he illegal
2) is he legal

If 1 turn in if 2 he’s not as evil as if he were 1.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would but with a very heavy heart
View Quote
This in the scenario you proposed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread delivers though.  I now realize many don’t believe this way.

I had a gut feeling that loyalty to family (much less friends) was a product of a bygone era, but thought I must be wrong.  The yes votes demonstrate that I wasn’t.

It wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine that the very concept of loyalty in all facets is dead.  I certainly see it with regard to things like the country with so many citizens wishing death to America for its “past sins”.

I’ve learned my one thing for the day

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#47]
If my son said he was sorry and promised never to do it again, no I would not turn him in.

If it was a prank, well these things happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Depends on the circumstances but 99% of the time yes, absolutely.
View Quote
Whatever number ...PNI
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's great.  If you would actually look, you'll find those records in your county are very incomplete and are often missing years worth of data.

Right this very second - the only copy of ordinances for our village is in a binder stored at the mayors house.  We don't have them digitized stored through the state or county.  It's not required, and costs money we don't have.   The state auditor comes out every two years and audits us, but doesn't make or retain any copies of what we have.

The last 30 years of zoning permits is in a cardboard box under the desk I'm typing at.

You have a lot of faith that the government keeps accurate records and has done for a very long time.  They haven't.  It's only been in the last 100 years or so, and even that is shaky for many small, rural places up until the 1970's.  God knows I would know, having been in government as an elected official for the better part of two decades. It's a constant headache and source of problems for me and constituents.

ETA: I've been (the whole council was) subpoenaed in a federal lawsuit regarding eminent domain takings, that was a pain in the ass due to shitty record keeping from someone in the 1870's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the things people kill each other for today is usually black market related, there was no black market then. I think you need to define the motive for a greater murder rate before the progressive era instead of just inventing them.

I mean in the statistics that exist murder rates correspond with changes in federal monetary, tax and regulatory law.

The murder rates were low, policy created urbanization and black markets, murder rates sky rocket.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Depends:   Unjustified aggravated 1st degree homicide, I love him and hope he finds Jesus in on death row and that God forgives him because I will do my best to get him the chair.
Took them out because they raped his wife/mother/sister or killed a family member, I'll help him get rid of the bodies!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top