Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2023 2:31:04 AM EDT
Ok so my grandfather used to say he was scotch by absorption.  I am ready to jump in as well.  What are some good scotches to try out for a novice bourbon drinker?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My first Scotch was Johnny Walker black label.  It's a blend, and it has what I would now say is a very mild peat flavor.  But that's coming from someone who has come to love Laphroig and Ardbeg, which are heavily peated. For the money, JWB captures the essence of Scotch without straying too far into any category.  I've heard the peat described as "burnt tires and bandaids" and you will pick up those notes.  But once your palate becomes acclimated to them, you'll experience all the underlying flavors. The red label is pretty similar but it just doesn't seem as smooth as the black label.

If you want to ease in without trying to wrap your brain around peat at first, The Glenlivet is pretty nice.

Stay away from Islay single malts until you are ready to shock your senses.  Then go for the Laphroig.  I regretted buying my first bottle, but I already had a second on order.  By the end of my 3rd bottle, I liked it so much I keep an unopened spare around.

At some point your mind compartmentalizes the peat.  At first it's like taking a sip of a burned village, with smoking ruins of homes, half burned sheep, thatched roofs and smoldering peat everywhere.  Then you begin to taste the rich, dried fruit flavors underlying the smoke and it all starts to make sense.  The next day you piss smoke as well.  But it's a life experience not to be missed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok so my grandfather used to say he was scotch by absorption.  I am ready to jump in as well.  What are some good scotches to try out for a novice bourbon drinker?
View Quote

I will start off by saying I have grown up to pretty much despise whiskey. Sneaking my dad Jack, Jim Beam and others was just nasty to me. I am not bashing on you guys that like bourbon. I just don’t like it. That said I went years not drinking it. Then I tried good single malt scotch and I really enjoyed it. Thing I would say if you’re starting out, try a few from a speyside or highland malt. They are less smoke and peat taste to them. First ones I tried were Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Mcallan. Also scotch aged in sherry casks are good starters as well as it imparts a bit more smooth and fruity notes to it. If you have tried that stuff and want to start into peat and smoke, try Highland Park first. I love their scotch, and I believe it’s a good balance of both. I have had Tallisker which is very smoky and though I think it’s ok, I’m not a huge peat and smoke guy. It’s nice on a cold winter day though. If you like smoked food you would like it. I do not like heavy peat scotch like Ardbeg. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions you can message me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Ardbeg is king, it will make all other scotches taste like water

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
“Don’t drink Ardbeg!”

“Ardbeg is the best!”

Point is, op, try the common stuff like Glenlivit and Glennfitich and work your way up and through others. What you like may be completely different than what someone else likes. And what you like now might change 3 years from now. That’s the joy in it.

Like trying different guns at a range, try some different scotches at a bar. Ask the bartender for suggestions. Or maybe there will be a pretty girl there who can help and you’ll end up getting a blowie in the parking lot.

The journey is the fun part.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Aberlour is a great entry, and if you like cask strength stuff, their version is fantastic.

Pretty much any speyside is going to be easy on the palate if you’re used to bourbons.
Top Top