Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2024 3:00:31 PM EDT
So this thread is the perfect example of what I need, except I need a couple of laptops more so than a desktop: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Anyone-want-a-new-toy-to-play-with-cheap-/124-2715680/

What I need is a couple of older used laptops, the ones we have now are circa 2010-2011 and getting long in the tooth, they still work great as we run lightweight linux systems on them, but main issue for them amongst others is the old 10/100 NIC's they use, we now have 300mbps fiber, and can only currently use 100 of it (need to get new router too, our old Belkin is also 10/100, need a super simple one like that but 10/100/1000).

All we need:
10/100/1000 NIC
8 gigs of ram
HD doesn't even have to be an SSD and doesn't have to be that big, we have plenty of other storage machines, 50 gig would even do it.
Optical drive. Yeah I know, we are dinosaurs but still must have it if at all possible.
Webcam. Most all have them since forever, I don't use them, but wife may need to for remote work gig running zoom or whatever.
Don't need an OS, will be installing my own.
Good CPU and GPU.
Ethernet port, we do mostly wired here.

Need to find something like that deal in the other thread I referenced, 2016-2017 manufacture or maybe newer if possible, for cheap, I know it will be more expensive than that 30 dollah thin client, but anything under 150 bucks would be great, under 100 even better.

In the market for two of these and a good used router as well, any recommendations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pedaler] [#1]
I have had very good luck with refurbished Latitudes off of eBay.   I look for high volume high feedback sellers that actually test or refurbish and state they have a warranty that at least covers a DOA machine (i.e. will not buy as-is).  

Typically I'm paying $100 to $400 or so.  The lowest prices (in your range) come with watching and bidding, but there are always buy it now options that are fair. At present I have three in service, but know I have bought 10+ over at least 15 years.  

If you don't do eBay I know I've seen them elsewhere as well.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NukeThemTillTheyGlow] [#2]
For good price/performance ratio, access to drivers, self help info and overall decent selection, I've purchased a number of items from Dell Refurbished.  They are always running sales/promos...good ones are 45-50% off, but a lot depends on what they have available at that point in time.  Check them out:  https://www.dellrefurbished.com/

From most recent deal email in my inbox:

45% off any item $399 & up or 35% off $398 or less, plus free Ground shipping.
Excludes Hot Deals, warranties, bulk/volume orders & previous sales.
Use code: SPRING2024DEAL. Expires Tuesday, 03/26/24, 9 AM CT.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
govdeals.com gets lots of state-owned  and other surplus computer stuff, there are deals to be had sometimes.

https://www.govdeals.com/computers-laptops
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chibajoe] [#4]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
So this thread is the perfect example of what I need, except I need a couple of laptops more so than a desktop: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Anyone-want-a-new-toy-to-play-with-cheap-/124-2715680/

What I need is a couple of older used laptops, the ones we have now are circa 2010-2011 and getting long in the tooth, they still work great as we run lightweight linux systems on them, but main issue for them amongst others is the old 10/100 NIC's they use, we now have 300mbps fiber, and can only currently use 100 of it (need to get new router too, our old Belkin is also 10/100, need a super simple one like that but 10/100/1000).

All we need:
10/100/1000 NIC
8 gigs of ram
HD doesn't even have to be an SSD and doesn't have to be that big, we have plenty of other storage machines, 50 gig would even do it.
Optical drive. Yeah I know, we are dinosaurs but still must have it if at all possible.
Webcam. Most all have them since forever, I don't use them, but wife may need to for remote work gig running zoom or whatever.
Don't need an OS, will be installing my own.
Good CPU and GPU.
Ethernet port, we do mostly wired here.

Need to find something like that deal in the other thread I referenced, 2016-2017 manufacture or maybe newer if possible, for cheap, I know it will be more expensive than that 30 dollah thin client, but anything under 150 bucks would be great, under 100 even better.

In the market for two of these and a good used router as well, any recommendations?

Thanks!
View Quote

I'm actually about to list a couple of Dell E5570s on ebay.  PM me.

ETA: not my ebay auction  cheaper than I was going to list them, although no optical drive (you're not going to find any laptop with them anymore)
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:
For good price/performance ratio, access to drivers, self help info and overall decent selection, I've purchased a number of items from Dell Refurbished.  They are always running sales/promos...good ones are 45-50% off, but a lot depends on what they have available at that point in time.  Check them out:  https://www.dellrefurbished.com/

View Quote
This is where I've got my last 3 or 4 machines from.
Last one I got was a Precision 5540.  Pretty decent machine, but the keyboard probably had something spilled in it and had a bunch of sticky/inop keys.  Keyboard was about $40, took about 2hrs to replace.  
Previous machine had an extremely dim backlight, I sent that one back for refund.  
I've also gotten some kickass damn-near-new machines from them.

It is a gamble with a used machine, but overall I think they do a decent job with their refurb, and they do honor their warranties.  

The 5540's a great machine, got it beacuse my old one took a shit and I needed one ASAP.  However, the power supply's different from all the other Dells I've had, and it doesn't have an ether jack.  I think i'm going to make this my primary home machine now, and pick up a Getac for field use.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NukeThemTillTheyGlow] [#6]
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
Last one I got was a Precision 5540.  Pretty decent machine, but the keyboard probably had something spilled in it and had a bunch of sticky/inop keys.  Keyboard was about $40, took about 2hrs to replace.  
Previous machine had an extremely dim backlight, I sent that one back for refund.  

It is a gamble with a used machine, but overall I think they do a decent job with their refurb, and they do honor their warranties.  

The 5540's a great machine, got it beacuse my old one took a shit and I needed one ASAP.  However, the power supply's different from all the other Dells I've had, and it doesn't have an ether jack.  I think i'm going to make this my primary home machine now, and pick up a Getac for field use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SnowMule:
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:

My most recent purchase from them was a Dell Latitude 5401 for my youngest to use for Sims 4 as she was using my wife's laptop and without a GPU it was killing its older i5 CPU.  the 5401 I found has a 2 gb discreet GPU (Nvida MX150), 9th gen i7, 8 Gb ramand runs great.  A bit warm, noisy when the GPU really fires up, but thats what its there for.  Keyboard was a bit hit or miss, I emailed them and asked for a new keyboard and one was sent no questions asked.  Bit of a detailed repair as you have to basically take it completely apart, but gave me a chance to redo the thermal paste for the GPU and CPU and it works great now, esp after adding another 8 Gb ram to get it to 16.  Was $389 list, 50% off and then tax & shipping (somes its free, other times not) and it was $249.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:40:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-10] [#7]
My wife and I purchased Lenovo thinkpad laptops, manufactured in 2018 for the Government.
We purchased them from a gentleman in Texas for $289.53 each.

They have a camera, bluetooth, wifi, speaker, battery, backlit keyboard, and a SSD ,with 256GB of storage and 16GB of memory, 15.6 in. screen, and a charger.

We found them on Amazon. com.

If you use Amazon a lot, you probably have points built up. We applied $98 toward the first computer purchase and knocked the price down by that that much.

We already use older Lenovo Thinkpads, and like them very much.

The new computers come with Windows 10 installed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top