Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2024 11:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858]
Do a Ebay search for Dell Wyze 5060. You can get one for about $30, they're fairly capable small computers, come with 8 gigs of memory and a 64 gig ssd. They are passively cooled, no fan and use very little electricity.

They will run current linux fine. They will also run Win 10 fine but you will probably need to finegle more drive space in it, not hard but not totally straight forward either. I've got a 256 gig ssd in mine  (it came with no drive when I got it about a year and a half ago). I couldn't resist a second one at the price they are now, it will be here tomorrow. I think I have a actual use for it, though.

You either want to make sure it comes with a power supply or you have one, it uses the same 19v adapter with the 5.5 x 2.5 barrel connector that millions of laptops came with. If you get one the bios will have been factory reset, the default password is Fireport (with a capital F). The video on most is two display ports so plan accordingly. I already had display port to hdmi adapters.

These are small. This is a pic of my hand of the top of mine (yes, the pic looks like my hand is in front of it to create a false perspective but it's not).

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Bitcoin mining?   On the cheap cheap?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GraboidHunter] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
View Quote

You aren't going to be able to mine anything on that.  Might be good for a media center though. Best use would be a really cheap office computer that doesn't need to do much other than word processing or something.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#4]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
what kind of NIC does it have?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RED_5:
what kind of NIC does it have?

It's gigabit but as for brand I have no idea. Probably part of the AMD chipset.

Edit - Nope, Realtek

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow! That is pretty dang cool at that price, should run Linux just fine, and work fine for most tasks i'd throw at it, thanks OP!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#7]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Wow! That is pretty dang cool at that price, should run Linux just fine, and work fine for most tasks i'd throw at it, thanks OP!
View Quote

It runs Mint 21.3 Mate great, no problems. I forgot to add in the OP that these play 1080p YouTube videos with no dropped frames. They don't want anything to do with the 4k Youtube videos though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#8]
I got mine today and it looks almost new, made in Jan '18, these came out in the latter part of '16. It didn't have a default bios password unlike any of the other Wyze thin clients I' ve got in the past. The bios password had been cleared. YMMV from another seller, though.

One thing though. With a Mint 21.3 (that's the only one I have tried) usb boot thumb drive it locks up attempting to boot with the default setting on the legacy/uefi in the bios which is both. I had to change it to just legacy. Once I did that it booted Mint fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:

You aren't going to be able to mine anything on that.  Might be good for a media center though. Best use would be a really cheap office computer that doesn't need to do much other than word processing or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
Originally Posted By GlockPride:

Bitcoin mining on these.

Think of these as a little larger but much cheaper (and probably slightly more powerful) Raspberry Pi substitute and you more in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm going to order one of these to play around with.

Seems like a pretty capable little box for the price.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm curious how one of them would run with Android x86?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#13]
OK, got one and I'm playing around with it.

My first question is what's the best way to get more than 64GB of storage into this thing?

Maybe something like this? (Will the m2 slot support a non-wifi card?)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZF1W55/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA - This thing runs Win10 very well. I have to imagine some flavors of Linux will be pretty stinking speedy on it.

ETA2 - and, yeah, 1080p off YouTube is no sweat off YouTube. The little installed speaker is cute. It tries very hard.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone tried running OPNsense from one of these?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

My first question is what's the best way to get more than 64GB of storage into this thing?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZF1W55/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA - This thing runs Win10 very well. I have to imagine some flavors of Linux will be pretty stinking speedy on it.

ETA2 - and, yeah, 1080p off YouTube is no sweat off YouTube. The little installed speaker is cute. It tries very hard.
View Quote

Does the DOM have use a sata connection?  If so, you could use a sata drive or ssd
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:53:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#16]

View Quote

You need one of these, 22-pin (7+15) Sata Male to Female Data and Power Combo Extension Cable and a 2.5" SSD.

The drive that's in there now has one screw and then pulls out. It's REAL tight and lacking in pull space but it will pull out.. Notice the wire that goes from the little speaker in the top to the MB that needs to be unplugged from the MB. Don't jerk up on the top after you've took the screws out (5 screws, not 4) and notice the little tab in the front middle of the top goes under not over.Also watch for the two thermal pads on the top so they don't get damaged. When you're putting the five screws back in the top, a screwdriver that's REALLY magnetic is your friend.

Attachment Attached File

The male end of the extension plugs into where you removed the SSD.

Attachment Attached File

It's tight but it goes in without any problem. It's not really arranged in this pic or the cable wire tied together, I was taking it right back out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I was going at that from the wrong angle.

Had it apart, the drive IS tight, but I was able remove it after moving the cable for the sub board out of the way.

Ironically enough, I also have a couple of those PNY SSDs around here. It was nice when the local Best Buy had them at like $23/ea.

Took an old Kingston SSD I had from an older PC apart. Apparently some 2.5" SSDs have small enough "guts" to fit directly in the slot No dice with that one. Thought  2.5" might be tight, but It's manageable.

Trying to decide of I'm keeping Windows on this or going Linux. Probably linux, although my old Panasonic plasma I have in here has a wicked overscan issue that hard to tune out in Linux. (and doesn't have a "just scan" or game mode, sadly)
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm also gathering the m2 slot WILL support a 2230 SSD, but it will only run at 1x speeds.

Unclear if you can boot from it or not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#19]
A pair just arrived for me to play with.

If I can find a display port to hdmi cable in town after work I might get one them powered up tonight.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Dell.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#21]
How would that old PC be better than this at ~$160?

Amazon Product
  • \ud83d\udcb5 \u3010\ud835\udc07\ud835\udc22\ud835\udc20\ud835\udc21 \ud835\udc02\ud835\udc28\ud835\udc2c\ud835\udc2d \ud835\udc0f\ud835\udc1e\ud835\udc2b\ud835\udc1f\ud835\udc28\ud835\udc2b\ud835\udc26\ud835\udc1a\ud835\udc27\ud835\udc1c\ud835\udc1e \ud835\udc02\ud835\udc0f\ud835\udc14 by N100\u3011KAMRUI AK2PLUS mini pc desktop computer is specially designed for ordinary consumer users with this processor from 12th Intel Gen Alder Lake-N100(4C/4T, 6M Smart Cache, up to 3.4GHz, 6W TDP). Smoother running than N5105/N5095/N95.N100 mini pc desktop handles like Office work, editing documents, 4K video playback, online education, design and even for professional uses like photos editing, with a user experience almost comparable to mini computers.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#22]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
How would that old PC be better than this at ~$160?

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJRFPS52
View Quote

$30 more better than $160 for a toy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I was going at that from the wrong angle.

Had it apart, the drive IS tight, but I was able remove it after moving the cable for the sub board out of the way.

Ironically enough, I also have a couple of those PNY SSDs around here. It was nice when the local Best Buy had them at like $23/ea.

Took an old Kingston SSD I had from an older PC apart. Apparently some 2.5" SSDs have small enough "guts" to fit directly in the slot No dice with that one. Thought  2.5" might be tight, but It's manageable.

Trying to decide of I'm keeping Windows on this or going Linux. Probably linux, although my old Panasonic plasma I have in here has a wicked overscan issue that hard to tune out in Linux. (and doesn't have a "just scan" or game mode, sadly)
View Quote

Yeah, I had took two of them of different brands apart. Both are made just alike and won't fit as they would hit the memory cover or the sim slots if you remove it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Dell.
View Quote

It's a re-branded Wyse thin client.  Only thing Dell about is the name on the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top